Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big 12 boards/fans can't grasp "SEC!! SEC!! SEC!!" chants

Started by taintlint, January 08, 2008, 07:43:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfoot

Quote from: IronHog on January 08, 2008, 07:47:07 pm
Dear Coach BP

Please stomp a mudhole in Texas then walk it dry.

Signed
The World
LOL! Agreed!

hogwild1

hit the road, hit the road, keep on goin, get your a$$ on down 49. give a cheer ra ra,never fear ra ra,arkansas will be just fine.

EastexHawg

Quote from: spudhog on January 09, 2008, 01:52:41 pm
The reason we chant SEC is becaue in the early 90's when this "superconference" was formed. Everybody made fun of it and thought it would never last.

Who made fun of the "new" SEC and said it would never last?  I don't recall hearing that at all.

spudhog

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 09, 2008, 02:03:11 pm
Who made fun of the "new" SEC and said it would never last?  I don't recall hearing that at all.

people in the swc, big 8 and others. they could've been saying those things out of anger and jealousy but they were mentioned.

oldbooniehog

A whole bunch of you folks aren't getting what I wrote.

At all.

If you are an LSU fan, and you are chanting "SEC! SEC! SEC!" and your team just won the National Championship, that's one thing.

If you are the fan of any other team besides LSU, and your team did not just win the National Championship and you are either 1) Chanting "SEC! SEC! SEC!" or 2) taking pride in and getting a thrill from LSU fans chanting "SEC! SEC! SEC!" then you are trying compensate for your team failing to achieve.

obh

wholehog92

Quote from: taintlint on January 09, 2008, 01:28:32 pm

Most Texas fans live in a bubble, a Texas vacuum of sorts. They know little to nothing of the outside sports world. They believe their facilities are the best (They honestly do consider the old dilapidated crap to be the bar by which others measure themselves) and Longhorn football to be the true measuring stick for success.

That vaccuum is so severe, it appears to be sucking in "talent" from other countries.  Maybe they have their southern border staffed with their offensive line!  I wonder why it's not sucking in talent from any other border.  Hell, they'll be playing Mexico university before long...and getting beat! :-* :P

This troll kills me, comes in here talking about the NC was won with texass talent and how great his school is, then can't see the irony in that.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  Another mental midget from the giant state. ::)
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

wholehog92

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 09, 2008, 02:13:40 pm

At all.

If you are an LSU fan, and you are chanting "SEC! SEC! SEC!" and your team just won the National Championship, that's one thing.

If you are the fan of any other team besides LSU, and your team did not just win the National Championship and you are either 1) Chanting "SEC! SEC! SEC!" or 2) taking pride in and getting a thrill from LSU fans chanting "SEC! SEC! SEC!" then you are trying compensate for your team failing to achieve.

obh

Quote from: wholehog92 on January 09, 2008, 12:03:01 pm
That is my take as well.  LSU is on our schedule next year, whether they are NCs or not.  I would rather beat the defending NC than the runner up.  Ask Auburn about whether it is good for the fans to tout the strength of our conference or not.  I used to root against all of our conference opponents until that travesty happened.  That caused me to rethink my position.  Before the fans started pointing it out vocally, commentators ignored facts and an SEC champ was viewed very similarly to any other conference champion.  Not so anymore.  This helps us when BP gets us to that level.  Just my .02.

OBH, I've been where you are.  I see both arguments, I just think one has more merit than the other.  You don't think when we play LSU, that it won't be promoted as the Razorbacks vs defending national champs?  One of the blemishes on a NC season.  LSU makes that game even more important for both schools.  I see your side and it's a valid argument, The only way I see that it hurts us is in recruiting.  LSU can go into a kids house and say we are national champions and you can come here and do it again.  We can walk in and say we start with the same opportunity as LSU.  We play the same teams and have the opportunity to and have beaten LSU in the height of their power.  Come play for us and play sooner and have the opportunity to win championships like we did in the 60s.  There is the weakpoint in my argument.  LSU is like my inlaws.  I can talk about them, cuss em, even plot their demise.  When I see someone else doing that, I'll fight right beside them.  When that fight is over, I'll go right back to being a pain in their ass.  Just because I'll fight for em doesn't mean I like em.  I have alot of respect for their accomplishments and fully believe they will reciprocate when we do it.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

slowride

Quote from: taintlint on January 09, 2008, 01:28:32 pm
They can not comprehend the revenue the SEC brings or the TV coverage. They can not comprehend a level of competition that is so high that you can not help but respect a conference foe in OOC play. It is all foreign to them and I imagine it always will be.

If this level of competition is so much better than the Bix 12, why couldn't we at least compete with Missouri?

Derjen

Quote from: slowride on January 09, 2008, 03:05:54 pm
If this level of competition is so much better than the Bix 12, why couldn't we at least compete with Missouri?

Hmm... maybe because we had temp coaches (inferior at best, who were recruiting for Ole Piss between quarters) or because the players were not motivated or PREPARED (i.e. coached) by the afore mentioned (lack of coaching) staff.

/Shrug

I don't know, what do you think...

taintlint

Quote from: Derjen on January 09, 2008, 04:08:13 pm
Hmm... maybe because we had temp coaches (inferior at best, who were recruiting for Ole Piss between quarters) or because the players were not motivated or PREPARED (i.e. coached) by the afore mentioned (lack of coaching) staff.

/Shrug

I don't know, what do you think...

It was a program with no HC, fired assistants, very little to no talent on the defensive side of the ball vs. a team that is at the highest level it has ever been.

I will not make excessive excuses for our team. We were hit and miss all season. We could and did beat the #1 team in the country in their own back yard and we lost to Kentucky at home.

There is no doubt, none what so ever, that Missouri would be WORSE off in the SEC than the Big 12. Period. Financially they would be better off but the level of competition would double.

wholehog92

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Or perhaps you could have compared SEC championship loser to big 12 championship loser?  Oh that's right the big 12 runner up couldn't get enough respect to get there.

Hornkiller

Funny you mention that. Both the Big XII and SEC teams that lost in the CCG saw the team that finished behind them go to the BCS. And both teams won. Which isn't a shock in Georgias case. But that says a lot about respect, or the fact that maybe you need to play a tougher schedule even if you are a basketball school.

hawgsav1

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 09, 2008, 02:13:40 pm

At all.

obh

Yeah I kind of agree with you.  I have conference pride, but the only reason I was even cheering for LSWho is because that way we could say "we beat the national champions".  It's kind of ironic that during game week you hear people saying "I HATE LSWHO AND HOPE THEY ALL DIE" and now they're turning around and giving us "conference pride".  I cheer for the SEC in general because it makes us look good, but I think people take it a bit too far.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

RandallA

Quote from: TexHog188 on January 09, 2008, 11:44:46 am
Conference pride does matter.  As the SEC status grows, the best, fastest, strongest players want to play in it.  If the TV report I heard is correct, the SEC has more active NFL players that any other conference.  That's not by accident.  When you have a good brand, you advertise and take advantage of it.  Recruits want to play in the SEC, whether it's at UofA or another school.  Now that we have a modern offensive philosophy, hopefully we move up in the pecking order for quality SEC recruits and get some depth.  SEC SEC SEC....

Well said.

William von Hawgskett

longhornnation, your lack of intelligence in any of things you have posted in this thread have contributed further to the Texan stereotype. It is people like you that give the state of Texas a worse name. Luckily for me I will be at the U of A next year, but for the Texans that won't be. Go back to your little 12 board, read a couple books, and look up some facts before you come on to an Arkansas board and spread your stupidity.

Hornkiller

I don't get where this lack of respect comes from. Any knowledgeable fan knows hands down the SEC is the best. (Please note I said knowledgeable)

Outside fans don't get it because they don't care. Ohio State, Illinois, V-Tech don't care because their enjoying the spoils Arkansas, Bama and other schools SEC schools not playing in the BCS want. Put it this way. It's like a middle manager who handles Fanta and Mr. Pib at Coke going to his buddy who is vice president at Pepsi and bragging how Coke is #1 and how Diet Coke and Sprite all outsell Pepsi. The Pepsi VP doesn't care. He's still cashing a bigger check, going on better vacations, enjoying better perks. So what if his company isn't #1. He's on the yacht and the Coke guy is driving the mini-van to Disney.

And yes ESPN is a bunch of homers and honks. But take it for what it is. The E stands for Entertainment and it's their job to yank chains and stir the pot. But are the Patriot fans getting all fired up because they're saying the 78 Pittsburgh Stealers would beat this year's New England team or breaking down how Jacksonville could beat them this weekend. It's not as much about lack of respect then it is filling 18 hours of time between highlights and live sports coverage.

Now when you're the big dog, people are going to be waiting for you to fall and like every conference we have myopians. So we shouldn't get fired up when writers like CNNSI's Manzel have their inbox filled with "this shows that no one can keep up with the SEC" and then remind them of how Cal whipped Tennessee or West Virginia ran all over Mississippi State or how Michigan who is from the same slow and soft conference as Ohio State beat Florida, or (swallow the bitter pill) Arkansas got whipped by Missouri while West Virginia facing the almost the same circumstances laid the wood to Oklahoma. Nope, in a way we invited this. Because everyone knows how passionate SEC fans are.

When you brag, even when you back it up someone is going to take shots at you. But better that then being the ACC, who is 1-9 in the BCS. The one win was Florida State beating V-Tech in 99, who is now also in the ACC.