Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Georgia president: Schools need to regain control of postseason

Started by ark525, January 08, 2008, 10:13:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Given the option, would you rather see a....

8 Team Fottball Playoff
108 (83.7%)
A "plus one" Game
15 (11.6%)
Keep it as it is...
6 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 120

ark525

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2008/01/08/adamsletter_0108.html

Of particular note is this passage:

"1. The increasing concentration of power in one network television company that has shown in this year's bowl selection process the capacity to influence public opinion, including that of the coaches, in an arbitrary way. This one network ownership controls more than two-thirds of the football games broadcast and virtually all of the non-BCS bowls. There are clear built-in conflicts."

--UGA president Michael Adams, 2008

Doyle Hograves

He should call the rest of the Presidents of SEC schools and encourage them to do the same.
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

razorrog1

Holy cow!  This could be huge.  It's just one letter, but could this start a steamroll.  The good thing is that most schools in the country that aren't named Duke, Michigan, Ohio State, or Notre Dame think Espn has it in for them.  Change could be coming.

Hogginitall

Just wait until something goes wrong at the UGA Athletic Department.  ESPN will pile-on like NO OTHER!  Although, that would be proving his point.  But, I don't think they care.

hogsanity

The schools should not complain, unless they have th stones to stand up TOGETHER and do something about it.  They have that power.  They changed how football was televised once before.  Remember the days when ABC had the game of the week, and that was pretty much it?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

corpitguy

ESPN is making POWERFUL enemies.  Their time on the top may be limited by their abuse of power.

ArkansasI

I don't understand why the season has to be extended into the following semester.  Lower divisions in college football are able to wrap up their playoffs in the first semester.  A primary complaint has always been the length of the layoff between the end of the regular season and the bowl games.

I say, adopt the system recommended... but have the games played in December.

Final exams may be a bit compromised, but I assume the players at the lower divisions have figured out a way to complete their studies.

Nutts and Bolts

The SEC has more power in the NCAA than any other conference... The SEC could force a change.  And it starts when we (SEC) gets our SEC Television Network started...
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

Hogginitall

As much as I want a playoff, I think it might be bad for Arkansas' chances to win a NC.  Quality depth has long been/will be a problem for Arkansas for MANY years to come.  A playoff would be great for teams like USC, Florida, LSU, Georgia, Texas, Michigan, etc.  Bad for teams like Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, WVU, etc.  I'm not saying that we wouldn't ever be able to win a NC, just that it would be harder for a team like Arkansas to win it. 

WarEagle

ESPN also has an article on the letter:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3186232

I think his proposals are good.  Scale the regular season back to eleven games, have an eight team playoff and have the major bowls serve as playoff sights.  I also like the shot he takes at the Rose Bowl saying "if one of those bowls chooses not to participate, another game could be found to fill the void,"

A few years ago it was only the fans who wanted a playoff, but now it seems like more and more schools administrators are pushing for it.
I have descended into college football's Grand Canyon.  I have stood in its Alps.  I have gazed at its ocean sunset.  I have attended a game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama and I've been changed forever. ~ Bud Poliquin

BushHawg

This statement is too true about ESPin.  Almost exactly why I haven't given them any of my time since the Hei5man.
"I love cats...I just can't eat a whole one"

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: BushHawg on January 08, 2008, 10:57:05 am
This statement is too true about ESPin.  Almost exactly why I haven't given them any of my time since the Hei5man.

Apparently you haven't heard.  It is now known as the T-Bowman.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogginitall on January 08, 2008, 10:53:12 am
As much as I want a playoff, I think it might be bad for Arkansas' chances to win a NC.  Quality depth has long been/will be a problem for Arkansas for MANY years to come.  A playoff would be great for teams like USC, Florida, LSU, Georgia, Texas, Michigan, etc.  Bad for teams like Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, WVU, etc.  I'm not saying that we wouldn't ever be able to win a NC, just that it would be harder for a team like Arkansas to win it. 

A playoff stinks, because it will actually KEEP OUT better teams.  The only way a playoff will be accepted is if it is an 8 team playoff between the 6 BCS league champs, ND if eligible, and MAYBE one at large team.  This will mean the SEC will only get one team in because the at large will be rigged to go to some weak sister creampuff team playing in a rat league, LIKE HAWAII this year. 

I am not for a playoff unless it is the best 8 teams, then you have to decide how you pick those 8 teams. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wild Bill Hog

ark525

Easy- 6 BCS conference champions, and 2 at large from other conferences or from within.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: hogsanity on January 08, 2008, 10:59:03 am
A playoff stinks, because it will actually KEEP OUT better teams.  The only way a playoff will be accepted is if it is an 8 team playoff between the 6 BCS league champs, ND if eligible, and MAYBE one at large team.  This will mean the SEC will only get one team in because the at large will be rigged to go to some weak sister creampuff team playing in a rat league, LIKE HAWAII this year. 

I am not for a playoff unless it is the best 8 teams, then you have to decide how you pick those 8 teams. 

Great point unless............They do away completely with the BCS.

Honestly, why would there be a need for the BCS in any form if we went to a playoff system.  Then, there wouldn't be any BCS conferences.  Just conferences.

In fact, the UGA Pres asks for the NCAA to take this over.....
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

hogsanity

Quote from: ark525 on January 08, 2008, 11:00:57 am
Easy- 6 BCS conference champions, and 2 at large from other conferences or from within.

Sorry, but you forgot to account for Notre Dame.  I know they would be included in the at large, if eligible.  However, I have a problem with limiting how many teams a league can get in. 

hogsanity

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 08, 2008, 11:01:46 am
Great point unless............They do away completely with the BCS.

Honestly, why would there be a need for the BCS in any form if we went to a playoff system.  Then, there wouldn't be any BCS conferences.  Just conferences.

In fact, the UGA Pres asks for the NCAA to take this over.....

Get rid of the BCS, still does not fix the problem of how to pick the teams.

Hoggish1

Great for the GA President.  Now let's see John White do something that positive?!

Next year OState, as every other Big-10 school, gets to play 8 conference games (No Indiana and Iowa).  They will lose to USC (away) and will end up 11-1 and be right back in. 

Something must be done about the system that allows a school like OState and a network like ESPN to control/run the BS (Can't allow the C in there anymore—it's just too obvious!).

HogNuttz

Frick a playoff system and smite me as you will.  I don't want to see starters sitting out or having reduced playing time because their teams playoff spot is locked up.  Look at the WVU and Mizzou games at the end of the season, especially WVU.  With a playoff system, that game loses 75% of its appeal because WVU most likely would have made a playoff anyway.  I like the concept of teams fighting hard every game, all year to achieve the best possible bowl game they can whether that be the BCS NC game, or the Independence bowl.

Is the system perfect....no.  Is it better than a playoff.....hell yeah.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

Hogginitall

Quote from: hogsanity on January 08, 2008, 10:59:03 am

In my opinion, it should be the 6 BCS Conference Champions and 2 at-large bids.  The at-large bids would go to the highest ranked, non-conference winning teams. 

Hogginitall

Quote from: HogNuttz on January 08, 2008, 11:07:48 am
Frick a playoff system and smite me as you will.  I don't want to see starters sitting out or having reduced playing time because their teams playoff spot is locked up.  Look at the WVU and Mizzou games at the end of the season, especially WVU.  With a playoff system, that game loses 75% of its appeal because WVU most likely would have made a playoff anyway.  I like the concept of teams fighting hard every game, all year to achieve the best possible bowl game they can whether that be the BCS NC game, or the Independence bowl.

Is the system perfect....no.  Is it better than a playoff.....hell yeah.

You think that Missouri would've rested their starters?  What if they lose 63-0 to Oklahoma and the voters decide that they don't deserve to be in the playoffs due to that loss and losing to the same team twice in a season?  Plus, you wouldn't have a situation like the NFL, where teams have certain playoff spots sewn-up.  If they lose a game at the end of the season, they would get a lesser seed and have to play a better team.  If Missouri goes in as a #1 seed, they would have to play Hawaii.  If they lose to Oklahoma, they have to go in as a 6 seed and play USC.  If I was Missouri, I'd be trying like hell to win that game so I could play Hawaii in the first round, rather than USC.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: hogsanity on January 08, 2008, 11:03:01 am
Get rid of the BCS, still does not fix the problem of how to pick the teams.

Yeah, but no BCS means no automatic anything to any team based on conference.  I'm sure some decent criteria could be created.  SOS.  Losses away being counted less costly as a loss at home.  AP/Coaches Poll, etc.

Let's all think outside the box a little here.
His response to me:

BushHawg

how would your playoff spot be locked in if you have to win your conference to get in?  Of course that is given that all conferences play a championship game which they don't now.  It's un uneven playing field.  Better than a playoff??? Give me a break.  There were several teams better than OSU this year and we'll never know who was the best because they didn't play it out on the field.
"I love cats...I just can't eat a whole one"

HogISH™

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

ark525

I doubt that teams would rest if they had to win their conference to get into the playoff- look how close the conference races have been the past few years.  There's usually at least 2 teams per division (or more in a whole conference) vying to win the whole thing.  They have to play hard to earn a berth.  Restrict the last 2 spots in the playoff to other conferences and notre dame if you want, but for the major conferences winning a conf. champ. should be THE requirement to get into the playoff.  If you're not good enough to win your own conf. then you're not good enough to play for a nat. title.

I don't think polls should play a role either- for the reason that the UGA pres. makes about ESPN influencing votes.

Sao Ming

Mike Slive is aware of ESPN and has been well before the bowl season.  The entire tele-conference after the BCS Selection Committee pairings is detailed here.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/cfb/story/7517952

Here is one excerpt.  The entire transcript is interesting and addresses a great deal about a +1.  Points will be taken to committee in April.

FOXSports.com
36 days ago

Q. Last night, if you watched ESPN, you would hear, You can't consider Georgia because they didn't win their division. As you noted, they were co champion of the east division. They lost in a tiebreaker. Do you need, as a corporate entity, to say, This is what we're looking for and not this?

MIKE SLIVE: That's a good question. You know, we've really kept a Chinese wall, so to speak. We've kept our distance from the voters. We don't really communicate. But I think that's an interesting question. I think it is one I will take to the table in April, whether or not there are some fundamental principles or concepts that we would expect voters to think about when they make their decisions. And they're free to make the decisions any way they deem appropriate, otherwise they're not a voter.

What will he do about it is the question.  Recall, Slive is the Coordinator of the BCS Conference Commissioners Committee.

stronguard

IMO the very first thing that needs to be corrected is making the Pac 10 and Big 11 into 12 team conferences.  Then you would have 7  12 team conferences.  SEC, ACC, Big12, Big East, C-USA, Pac 10 and Big 11 +ND.  Take the top 2 from each conference (division winners) and add 2 at large teams from the other schools and have a true 16 team playoff.   
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

prairiehogcompanion

Quote from: ark525 on January 08, 2008, 10:13:49 am
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2008/01/08/adamsletter_0108.html

Of particular note is this passage:

"1. The increasing concentration of power in one network television company that has shown in this year's bowl selection process the capacity to influence public opinion, including that of the coaches, in an arbitrary way. This one network ownership controls more than two-thirds of the football games broadcast and virtually all of the non-BCS bowls. There are clear built-in conflicts."

--UGA president Michael Adams, 2008

Is this the entire letter? What exactly is his beef? Where are the specifics?

HogNuttz

Quote from: Hogginitall on January 08, 2008, 11:14:10 am
You think that Missouri would've rested their starters?  What if they lose 63-0 to Oklahoma and the voters decide that they don't deserve to be in the playoffs due to that loss and losing to the same team twice in a season?  Plus, you wouldn't have a situation like the NFL, where teams have certain playoff spots sewn-up.  If they lose a game at the end of the season, they would get a lesser seed and have to play a better team.  If Missouri goes in as a #1 seed, they would have to play Hawaii.  If they lose to Oklahoma, they have to go in as a 6 seed and play USC.  If I was Missouri, I'd be trying like hell to win that game so I could play Hawaii in the first round, rather than USC.

I understand the point about Mizzou, but my emphasis was more on WVU than Mizzou.  Also, if Mizzou did rest and get blown out, some voters would take that into consideration.  Obviously not many coaches are going to rest starters during a conference championship, but that doesn't apply in the Pitt vs. WVU argument.  If we were in a playoff system and WVU did play their starters against Pitt and lost, the game still loses almost all of its draw to out of market fans.  If we were in a playoff system, I may or may not have watched that game, let alone enjoyed watching like I did under a bowl format.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

TexHog188

I think what President Michael Adams (UGA) suggests is that a "NCAA Selection Committee" be formed to select the best 8 teams, regardless of BCS affiliation.  I don't think this would necessarily eliminate one conference (SEC) from having more than one team.  What is will do is make teams balance their schedules of Non-Conf vs Conf opponents to insure that their strength of schedule is sufficient (along with their W-L record) to position them as one of the 8 best teams after 11 games.  Conferences without a championship game (Big Ten) have some advantage here, since the two best teams won't necessarily play each other.  But as we saw this year, the SEC Championship game definitely helped LSU, since they were out of NC picture without that win.

Here are Adam's comments: "This year's experience leads me to believe the only equitable solution is to have an NCAA selection committee place the top eight teams in the four major bowls."
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

HandD used autos

how 'bout this:  keep using the current BCS for ranking, but instead of the BCS "personel" (taking out the human element) picking which teams they think belong in the top 8, use the computer rankings and whoever is in the top 8 goes into the playoff.  Regardless of what conference they play in or how many Conference teams are in the top 8.  IOW, if there are 6 SEC teams in the top 8, then they all get a shot at the NC.  Let the computer rank the teams and use it as an assessment of who belongs in th NC game.  That's similar to where we are now but at least those teams can say they had a shot and they got to determine based on win/lose who gets the final game.

SpareRib

Quote from: corpitguy on January 08, 2008, 10:24:03 am
ESPN is making POWERFUL enemies.  Their time on the top may be limited by their abuse of power.

I believe this to be true.  Guys like you and me can complain 'til hell freezes over and make no dents.  They know we are paying attention to them.  For better or worse, we are still countable in the ratings. But when folks like Adams go on record, ESPIN has to take notice.  That's a bona fide shot across their bow.  Georgia is a quality program.  They've earned their stripes on the field and in the classroom.  If others like Adams follow suit, watch the fun.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

havok

"Power Corrupts, and Absolute Power Corrupts absolutely."

Remember when CNN had the Monopoly on 24 hour news and it went to their heads. They used their power into dictating their own agendas politically (Still doing it today) to get their buddies, friends  into office, and attack those negatively they are against.  Now they have competetition and CNN is losing viewers by the bucketfulls, and are spending more time "Manufacturing News", Instead of Reporting it..

ESPN is heading down the same path....using their power to dictate Award Winners, Bowl Teams, and certain coaches, while using that power to attack those who threaten their agenda.  Eventually someone (Maybe FoxSports) will whip out the checkbook and steal away some of ESPN's clout.

roundball

That's a great letter with a great overview of how football has been for fans, players, and coaches! It's time for a playoff!!!

PolishPigPower

I think that while this isn't necessarily a "start" to these talks, it is a great spot to see the big boys jump in at.  I don't agree with an 11-game schedule and 8-team playoff system, however.  The model to do this is already in place.  It's called the Division I Championship Subdivision.  If it's good enough for Appalachian State, North Dakota State, and Montana... it's good enough for Florida, Ohio State, and USC.  ;)
Quote from: Cooper on November 16, 2008, 10:35:46 pm
I might try my hand at some porn.

Quote from: Breems on May 02, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
Last post in the Tavern here.  See you guys.  Have fun.

johnsonswitch

The only way to get things started in the direction of a true national championship is to say the Rose Bowl can have their matchup, and the other bowls too. Just take the winners of the four big bowls and send them to a final four starting Jan. 7. The bowls can't do anything about this if the NCAA wants to do it.

I believe after a few years the Rose Bowl/Pac 10/Big 10 would be more likely to negotiate a seeding system for the four big bowls. At least there would be something heading in the direction of a true NC.

Let the Rose have their match-up for the next 6 years if that's what they want. Just hold all four big bowls on New Years day, and send the winners on to Jan. 7th.

An even easier way to fix a lot of what's wrong immediately would be to hold all posts of official rankings until October.

Mr. Hog

Quote from: Hogginitall on January 08, 2008, 10:22:24 am
Just wait until something goes wrong at the UGA Athletic Department.  ESPN will pile-on like NO OTHER!  Although, that would be proving his point.  But, I don't think they care.

I personally believe they better care !
Go Hogs Go!

cessna8667

I have a solution: 

Take all non SEC teams with a two losses or less, have a playoff to determine the top two teams.  Then match those two teams against the top two SEC teams in a plus one.

msikes

The eight team playoff is interesting but I read an article some time back about the idea of a 16 team playoff.  Each conference, even the WAC, MAC, CUSA, etc. winner would recieve an automatic bid.  That also left a few at large bids as well.  This would make an interesting situation and most years someone from the big six will win.  However you have the chance for a true cinderella and every team big or small has the possibility for a national championship.  They were saying that this would lead to more support and hope for every team, not just the ones that go near undefeated and are ESPiN's love child.

biggiepiggie

Quote from: bigfoot on January 08, 2008, 10:19:49 am
Espn is making some enemies!

They've made an enemy of Arkansas and it looks like Georgia as well.  Who
knows where this will end?

Beaverfever

I like hogsanity's idea of the 6 bcs conference winners to have spots in the 8 team playoff.  The other 2 spots could be filled by the 2 highest ranked bcs teams not already in the playoff.  One poster said that he didn't want a playoff because teams wouldn't play starters for certain games once they were in the playoffs but in a conference like the sec you probably couldn't take a week off and win the conference anyways.  Besides that you could set the first round of the playoffs up based on bcs rankings.  Obviously a team wouldn't hold out their starters if it meant they would have to play the best team in the nation in the first round.  I think this system is perfect.  It would keep the integrity of the regular season and give us a true champion. 

ark525

QuoteThe eight team playoff is interesting but I read an article some time back about the idea of a 16 team playoff.  Each conference, even the WAC, MAC, CUSA, etc. winner would recieve an automatic bid.  That also left a few at large bids as well.  This would make an interesting situation and most years someone from the big six will win.  However you have the chance for a true cinderella and every team big or small has the possibility for a national championship.  They were saying that this would lead to more support and hope for every team, not just the ones that go near undefeated and are ESPiN's love child.

I would love to see this scenario play out, but you'd have to shorten the regular season by 2-3 games for it to work.  Of course, with all those worthless non-conference games, it might be doable.  I think 2 nonconference games would be good for each team.  Every conference should have at least one team play every another in every other conference.  But, this pipe dream probably won't ever happen.

hogsanity

The problem any playoff has is how to decide who gets in.  A 8 team playoff almost certainly shuts out the smaller leagues, like the wac,mac and conf usa.  They wont stand for that.  a 16 team playoff is too many.  Plus, 16 teams would proabably have at least half from 2 or 3 leahues.  Look at this year, and use the final bcs standings after the conf champ games.  The SEC would have gotten 4 teams in, do you think the rest of d1 would want a system in which 25% or more of the playoff teams could come from one league?

jim hog

ESPN has idiotic talking heads making crazy statements without accountability.

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 08, 2008, 12:48:12 pm
The problem any playoff has is how to decide who gets in.  A 8 team playoff almost certainly shuts out the smaller leagues, like the wac,mac and conf usa.  They wont stand for that.  a 16 team playoff is too many.  Plus, 16 teams would proabably have at least half from 2 or 3 leahues.  Look at this year, and use the final bcs standings after the conf champ games.  The SEC would have gotten 4 teams in, do you think the rest of d1 would want a system in which 25% or more of the playoff teams could come from one league?

You have a point but if the SEC really has that many good teams what logical leg do people have to stand on?

Are you seriously (by you mean other ppl from smaller leagues) suggesting you get a spot in the play off even though you dont deserve it and in all likelyhood will get hammered into dog shiet.