Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Matt Hall to visit Ole Piss

Started by The Realist, January 04, 2008, 02:17:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Realist

"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

The Boar War

I would think he would like to get under the tutelage of an OL coach who has NFL experience.  Not one who teaches how to run block only.  Maybe he's only going for the free Ole Miss t-shirt.

cardinalhawg

I saw that in the ADG the other day along with other recruits taking other visits.  It seems that is the norm nowadays, regardless of how firmly one is committed to a school.

Beaverfever

IMO, it is unfair that it is perfectly normal and acceptable for recruits to take visits after they have committed and it just terrible for a school to pull a scholarship offer from a committed recruit.  I agree with Charlie Weis' philosophy that if the recruit is still lookin so is he.  I don't mean this to sound like I'm callin out hall or any of our recruits.

Hugehogsfan

Good for him (and I mean that postively) enjoy a free trip to Mississippi, and then come back and realize that you really need to come to U of A. 

Music City Hog

Quote from: Beaverfever on January 04, 2008, 02:29:30 pm
IMO, it is unfair that it is perfectly normal and acceptable for recruits to take visits after they have committed and it just terrible for a school to pull a scholarship offer from a committed recruit.  I agree with Charlie Weis' philosophy that if the recruit is still lookin so is he.  I don't mean this to sound like I'm callin out hall or any of our recruits.

i aree 100%!  A commitment means you are comitted so why visit other places?  What if at a couple's wedding the guy said, "I do, but Im gonna keep dating while we are married to see if I like someone else better, but Im still committed to you".   A commitment in recruiting these days means absolutely nothing.  It means you are one of the schools Im considering.  Its perfectly fine to visit many schools to make a good choice for yourself, but just dont "commit" anywhere until you are done and have actually made a decision.  This whole process has turned into a joke by these kids.

(Im not bashing any of our recruits, just high school prospects in general, nobody specific)

Beaverfever

Quote from: Music City Hog on January 04, 2008, 03:11:42 pm

i aree 100%!  A commitment means you are comitted so why visit other places?  What if at a couple's wedding the guy said, "I do, but Im gonna keep dating while we are married to see if I like someone else better, but Im still committed to you".   A commitment in recruiting these days means absolutely nothing.  It means you are one of the schools Im considering.  Its perfectly fine to visit many schools to make a good choice for yourself, but just dont "commit" anywhere until you are done and have actually made a decision.  This whole process has turned into a joke by these kids.

(Im not bashing any of our recruits, just high school prospects in general, nobody specific)
Yeah can you imagine if Petrino said we decided we found a new OL to take Hall's scholarship so we're going to go with him and revoke hall's offer.  We would be burned at the stake.

Hogway

This is a nice opportunity for Matt to get out and see some Ole Miss chicks.  I knew in high school that if you wanted to see a slew of hot chicks in one place then you went down to Ole Miss for the weekend.  I can only imagine getting the weekend for free!  I see moderate danger but nothing to be overly concerned about.  That is just me though.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hugehogsfan on January 04, 2008, 02:56:21 pm
Good for him (and I mean that postively) enjoy a free trip to Mississippi, and then come back and realize that you really need to come to U of A. 
He will get to see how much better the ARkansas facilities are than Ole Miss
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HOGINTENNESSEE

First Nutt couldn't keep the good recruits in the state. Now they may want to follow him. WTH

tulsafan101010

Quote from: Music City Hog on January 04, 2008, 03:11:42 pm

Sort of like when Petrino stole Tyler Wilson from the list of Tulsa commits?

Beaverfever

Quote from: tulsafan101010 on January 04, 2008, 05:11:59 pm
No one ever said it wasn't shady both ways. 

hog_fan

Wilson wanted to be a hog all of long, but Nutt didn't want him. He didn't make Wilson agree to come here.

hawgsav1

I have a question with Matt Hall.  He always seemed like a beast in size, but his stats were less than impressive.  How does a guy who's massive (he's listed at 6'10 and nearly 350 lbs I think) have only a bench of 315 lbs max and a squat of 400 lbs?  That's pretty pitiful for an O-lineman.  This is from his Rivals bio.  I think that might be a mistake, but jeez louise.  Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Ole Piss.  Nutty ain't a great coach, but Markuson is the best coach out of his whole staff.  There's a good reason that most of our players in the NFL play at linemen spots.  Think Shawn Andrews, Jason Peters, Bobbie Williams, etc.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Music City Hog

I wasnt just talking about our "commits" who were taking other visits.  Im talking about all high school prospects from around the country.  Like I said, taking multiple visits is a good thing, but dont commit to any school until you have taken all your visits, then this wont happen.

I played at a small school and I understand the pressure on these kids.  They are brought in and treated like kings.  They are told how good they are and how perfect they are for the school's system and how there is a chance for them to come in and be the star from day 1.  The kids love the attention and the pampering and they get excited and want to commit right then.  Thats normal, but the problem is that when they go to the next school, the same process is repeated.

I get that its a normal thing for a kid to jump the gun and commit, only to take other visits later, but I wish that these kids had the will power to wait until ALL five of their visits have been taken and then commit to the school of their choice.  That way the possibility of them taking other visits is eliminated.  Its just frustrating to see this happen so often to all schools.  I get excited when we get a commitment, but I know it means absolutely nothing other than "you are one of the five finalists".  

rogers-hog

This is a very important decision for an 17 or 18 year old kid to make, and as we know if they come and
things don't work out then there are dire penaltys for transfering, so lets be a little more accepting of a kid
wanting to go to as many places to check them out and if it's on our dime think of the money they will make
for the university during their carreer and cut them some slack. 

hog_fan

hogfan11

I hope he's solid..man he is a wall

outlaw68

jackflash

Hey I would take more visits if I was him.  Like FL, CA , east coast this is a once in a life time thing. If he wants to be a Razorback none of this will make a difference. I don't blame the kid, just tell me to use better choices to where he visits

RDR24BER0

I totally agree. IS this simply being recruited on size? He is a monster but his strength bio is very suspect.
Quote from: hawgsav1 on January 04, 2008, 08:18:55 pm
I have a question with Matt Hall.  He always seemed like a beast in size, but his stats were less than impressive.  How does a guy who's massive (he's listed at 6'10 and nearly 350 lbs I think) have only a bench of 315 lbs max and a squat of 400 lbs?  That's pretty pitiful for an O-lineman.  This is from his Rivals bio.  I think that might be a mistake, but jeez louise.  Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Ole Piss.  Nutty ain't a great coach, but Markuson is the best coach out of his whole staff.  There's a good reason that most of our players in the NFL play at linemen spots.  Think Shawn Andrews, Jason Peters, Bobbie Williams, etc.

jgphillips3

If your son was a recruit would you want him to only visit Arkanasas or commit to Arkansas, but still take his visits and be sure he is happy?  I think this kid is pretty solid, but I don't blame him for taking a free trip.  I blame John White for not putting some recruiting handcuffs on after taking off the Golden ones.  I still bet Hall will be a Hog.

Beaverfever

SpiritHog

I'd like to know where TomHog or Davenport weighed in on this guy.
Non Illegitimus Carborundum

Beaverfever

Quote from: hugganutt on January 05, 2008, 11:52:49 pm
I totally agree. IS this simply being recruited on size? He is a monster but his strength bio is very suspect.
I can't believe that he can only squat 400.  For a 350 lb guy that is VERY weak.

razorbass

Quote from: Beaverfever on January 06, 2008, 12:07:02 am
I can't believe that he can only squat 400.  For a 350 lb guy that is VERY weak.
Well he's got a lot further to lift it up.   ;)

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: Beaverfever on January 06, 2008, 12:07:02 am

It's very hard for taller guys to squat.  Trust me. ;D  We have to go down a whole lot farther than shorter fellas.  I wouldn't put too much into the squat because he's so tall.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Doggtown31LCC

A friend of mine told me last night he heard Hall committed to Ole Miss yesterday, has anybody else heard this? i havn't seen it on rivals or in the newspaper.
L. Courtney Click
Winthrop Wolves #1
Superman wears Joe Adams pajamas

Hogndog36

Quote from: Hogway on January 04, 2008, 04:20:58 pm
This is a nice opportunity for Matt to get out and see some Ole Miss chicks.  I knew in high school that if you wanted to see a slew of hot chicks in one place then you went down to Ole Miss for the weekend.  I can only imagine getting the weekend for free!  I see moderate danger but nothing to be overly concerned about.  That is just me though.

Mall Hall is 6'10 320. I doubt he can get a really hot chick. Besides look at how nutt has been really successfull as far as turning out NFL lineman, Andrews,Burlsworth,ugoh, Peters. Thats not a bad track record, Plus Luigs will be there too
Smite me..... HAHA Smite me

hawgsav1

January 08, 2008, 06:05:52 pm #29 Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 06:08:32 pm by hawgsav1
Quote from: Amityvillehogger on January 06, 2008, 12:41:34 am
It's very hard for taller guys to squat.  Trust me. ;D  We have to go down a whole lot farther than shorter fellas.  I wouldn't put too much into the squat because he's so tall.

Larry Allen benched nearly 700 lbs and squatted 900 lbs.  I know he's (Matt Hall) tall and in high school, but powerlifters like Jesse Marunde etc. can do 600 lbs easily.  To put those numbers in perspective, Tim Dial (2 star recruit from last year was only 6'2" 210 and could bench 350 and squat 475).  I'm 5'9, 170 lbs and I've pushed 375 lbs before (I only hit parallel, but then again I'm not a football player).  Squat wasn't the only issue.  I'm just saying the Rivals bio (IF IT"S TRUE) is making me wonder...

bythelake

Well, Matt is just an 18 year old kid.  You have to envision his potential and development into a very competetive offensive lineman in the next 2 years. 

hawgsav1

Quote from: bythelake on January 08, 2008, 06:33:59 pm
Well, Matt is just an 18 year old kid.  You have to envision his potential and development into a very competetive offensive lineman in the next 2 years. 

I agree he could be great.  My issue is more with whether Rivals is accurate or not.  I remember Matt Hall was ranked as one of the Rivals top 100  prospects for a while and I think he's still in the Rivals 250.   It doesn't make sense that a top 100 O-lineman wouldn't be able to bench his own bodyweight.  So (most likely) Rivals has it wrong, or Matt Hall is a delicate flower (which I doubt).

mizzouman

I just got word that Matt Hall will still be visiting Mizzou. Matt`s coach ,Jeff Holt, informs me that Matt is visiting Ole Miss, and will be visiting Mizzou in three weeks, which would be the weekend of the 25th.

COCHISE

Quote from: hawgsav1 on January 08, 2008, 10:43:18 pm
I agree he could be great.  My issue is more with whether Rivals is accurate or not.  I remember Matt Hall was ranked as one of the Rivals top 100  prospects for a while and I think he's still in the Rivals 250.   It doesn't make sense that a top 100 O-lineman wouldn't be able to bench his own bodyweight.  So (most likely) Rivals has it wrong, or Matt Hall is a delicate flower (which I doubt).
A lot of Matt's info. and stats are not up to date, if you look at his pictures you can tell that matured A LOT over last winter.  I'm sure his current info. would be much more impressive.

COCHISE

For example, this is Matt spring/summer 2006

and this is Matt spring 2007

Like I said, I believe his up-to-date numbers would be a lot more impressive.

justmaybe

Matt Hall's size at 18 means he grew really fast and more than most and as a result it is going to take more time for him to put strength in those limbs. I doubt seriously that he has matured physically and guys do it at a different rate particularly tall guys and particularly offensive lineman. The squat and the bench are seriously indicators of strength but are also highly susceptible to the person body type. Hall has what you want in a lineman although I wonder if too much of it. Long arms relative to others from what I understand and at 6-10 even longer than almost everybody. It has already been said but his squat will suffer also but I think it has more to do with maturity than anything. And heck, 400 lbs is not bad for a high school kid. He is long and lean right now.

And you guys can say what you want but Markusen should be left alone. He puts lots of folks in the NFL and the guys can pass block pretty well also. They give very few sacks and it is not just becuase we are in max protect all the time.   

hawgsav1

Quote from: justmaybe on January 08, 2008, 11:52:33 pm
Matt Hall's size at 18 means he grew really fast and more than most and as a result it is going to take more time for him to put strength in those limbs. I doubt seriously that he has matured physically and guys do it at a different rate particularly tall guys and particularly offensive lineman. The squat and the bench are seriously indicators of strength but are also highly susceptible to the person body type. Hall has what you want in a lineman although I wonder if too much of it. Long arms relative to others from what I understand and at 6-10 even longer than almost everybody. It has already been said but his squat will suffer also but I think it has more to do with maturity than anything. And heck, 400 lbs is not bad for a high school kid. He is long and lean right now.

And you guys can say what you want but Markusen should be left alone. He puts lots of folks in the NFL and the guys can pass block pretty well also. They give very few sacks and it is not just becuase we are in max protect all the time.   

I agree with you completely on Markuson.  Markuson was the best line-coach we had (Rocker coming in second).  I wished he'd stayed under Petrino cuz his guys were always ready to play. 

I understand that Matt Hall is just a kid, but what is particularly troublesome (if those stats are true, which I (hope) don't think they're accurate is that even other kids like safeties and linebacker prospects can put up that kind of weight.  Regardless of how fast you grew, you should at least be able to bench your own weight.  Again, I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I also think those stats are misleading.  A physical freak like Hall can probably do a lot more than what's listed on his rivals bio.

hogwild1

Tyler decided to change. There was no gun to his head.
hit the road, hit the road, keep on goin, get your a$$ on down 49. give a cheer ra ra,never fear ra ra,arkansas will be just fine.