Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PLEASE ALL ESPN DISCUSSION HERE. THANKS.

Started by Dirty, December 18, 2007, 09:57:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirty

just had a story about the recruit flipping from Arkansas to Boston College.  Nothing about Wilson flipping to Arkansas.  ESPN sucks.

Dirty

Stink was on there saying that we'll see how many more flip.

hogfan446

Quote from: hogfanwithms on December 18, 2007, 09:57:25 am
just had a story about the recruit flipping from Arkansas to Boston College.  Nothing about Wilson flipping to Arkansas.  ESPN sucks.

Because the recruits flipping to Arkansas don't help their coach bashing case...

Joe

December 18, 2007, 10:00:04 am #3 Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 10:17:15 am by Joe
 :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: Get used to it. We will not hear anythging good about our program from the ESPN Network, anytime soon. They have an agenda against Petrino and they are out to make him look bad.
     They way they are going about it is completely wrong. They are attempting to ruin a college's recruiting efforts just to achieve their personal goals.
     Screw 'em!  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
You can put a cat in the oven, but that don't make it a biscuit!    
:razorback: Welcome to the future of Razorback football :razorback:

Porklandia

That's cool. Coach P will get his fair share fo the recruits. Even if this thing blows up and recruits start decommiting (and I see no real evidence of that), Petrino can beat them with 2 and 3 star recruits.
Put a Hog on it!

bigarrazorback

welcome to the onE Sided sPorts Network

bigyellowdog

EastSPiN loves any type of positive news of their precious Big East conference

bwbcpa

Quote from: Joe on December 18, 2007, 10:00:04 am
:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: Get used to it. We will not hear anythging good about our program from the ESPN Network, anytime soon. They have an agenda against Petrino and they are out to make him look bad.
     They way they are going about it is completely wrong. They are attempting to ruin a colege's recruiting efforts just to achieve their personal goals.
     Screw 'em!  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Kinda like "the coach that got fired."  ;)

agr347

Quote from: hogfan446 on December 18, 2007, 09:58:41 am
Because the recruits flipping to Arkansas don't help their coach bashing case...

Exactly
"Just remember, its not a lie if you believe it." -George Costanza

Erockster20

CowHog

I am slowly but surely attempting to phasing ESPN out of my life, it is hard but I am down to only like 4 hours of it a day......baby steps

PorkBrainz

I'm looking forward to Sports Rap this afternoon, and also the press conference which Coach Petrino is going to have today. Perhaps it is, in part, to reassure the team and potential recruits that he is HERE TO STAY!

I feel he does need to combat this type of thing below. ESPN and others, are doing such a number on our coach, these guys are believing their garbage, and Coach needs to help put this crap to rest.

Well, A. Blank did threaten Coach Petrino, saying he was going to make it "ugly and embarrassing" for him, and Blank's got the whole force of the media behind him it appears.

Ugo Okpara drops Arkansas for Boston College, cites Petrino
Cornerback Ugo Okpara switched his commitment from Arkansas to Boston College because of the Razorbacks coaching situation, the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports.
"I chose Boston College because I felt out of the three schools [Arkansas, B.C., and Missouri], that's where I felt most comfortable at and where I was the best fit."
He continued, "The problem with Arkansas was the reputation of coach [Bobby] Petrino leaving during the season. And not staying there and his name not being highly thought of like when he was Louisville. I didn't want to play ball for a coach that had a reputation like that. That kind of drove me away from Arkansas."
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/briefingroom?playerId=47264
Go Hogs!

UhOhioHog

Quote from: bigyellowdog on December 18, 2007, 10:05:46 am
EastSPiN loves any type of positive news of their precious Big East conference

FYI...Boston College is in the ACC now.

Tusks

What was his reputaion at Louisville?  He was the LOVE of ESPN and the talking heads while going 41-9.  What did I miss?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Doggtown31LCC

L. Courtney Click
Winthrop Wolves #1
Superman wears Joe Adams pajamas

fletcher

Quote from: nutted on December 18, 2007, 10:36:17 am
What was his reputaion at Louisville?  He was the LOVE of ESPN and the talking heads while going 41-9.  What did I miss?

Here is some of it, and it wasn't quoted from ESPN:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/football/ncaa/?cnn=yes

"An ineffective (or, quite possibly, non-existent) disciplinarian. As Louisville's disastrous 6-6 season played out this year, some unsavory details began to emerge about the way Petrino ran his program. New coach Steve Kragthorpe dealt with a litany of off-the-field issues that his predecessor either overlooked, or possibly covered up, involving some bad seeds he recruited."

fletcher

Quote from: ImHogginIt on December 18, 2007, 10:40:16 am
Home Depot( Falcons owner owns) is a major sponsor of ESPN programming. I wish some Arkansas reporter would make a few references to this fact and see how fast ESPN folks stop talking about it

With all due respect, Blank may have founded HD, but he sold off his stake in it before he even bought the Falcons years ago. That's where the $$$ came from to buy the Falcons in the 1st place. They have gone through 2 CEO's since he stepped down. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument.

Probably time to let it go. The Falcons and Razorbacks will both be better off the way things have played out. It is a win-win for both cities.

Mr. Hog

I hope we get to play ugo while he's at Boston College, That will be fun and a game Ublow or whatever his name is will soon not forget !
Go Hogs Go!

HandD used autos

Mike and Mike should change the name of their show to "Dick and Dick"!

Bucksnort

Quote from: PorkBrainz on December 18, 2007, 10:23:40 am
Cornerback Ugo Okpara switched his commitment from Arkansas to Boston College because of the Razorbacks coaching situation, the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports.
"I chose Boston College because I felt out of the three schools [Arkansas, B.C., and Missouri], that's where I felt most comfortable at and where I was the best fit."
He continued, "The problem with Arkansas was the reputation of coach [Bobby] Petrino leaving during the season. And not staying there and his name not being highly thought of like when he was Louisville. I didn't want to play ball for a coach that had a reputation like that. That kind of drove me away from Arkansas."

Fine --- don't let the door hit ya.

realpig

Quote from: PorkBrainz on December 18, 2007, 10:23:40 am
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/briefingroom?playerId=47264

If he doesn't want to play for BP, we don't want him here.  We want are players to be a "team". He actually may be a better fit for Boston College anyway.  BP will have the opportunity to coach good kids to greatness, and great kids to excellence.  We are going to lose some players, and we will get some players we weren't suppose to get.  But ultimately BP will have the opportunity to get to know the recruits and create a Monster here in Arkansas.  I'm sure he has the motivation!
Successful people do what unsuccessful people dislike doing.  It's not that they like doing them, but their strength of purpose is greater than their dislike of doing them.

HandD used autos

Quote from: fletcher on December 18, 2007, 10:45:37 am
With all due respect, Blank may have founded HD, but he sold off his stake in it before he even bought the Falcons years ago. That's where the $$$ came from to buy the Falcons in the 1st place. They have gone through 2 CEO's since he stepped down. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument.

Probably time to let it go. The Falcons and Razorbacks will both be better off the way things have played out. It is a win-win for both cities.

We're all willing to drop it, Why can't espn drop it?

fletcher

Quote from: ImHogginIt on December 18, 2007, 10:51:58 am
Golly Gee Wiz ! Looks like he's involved agin' Jethro

http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/11/news/companies/homedepot_lessons.fortune/index.htm

Call names if that pumps you up, but an advisor that you call for advice is much different than being an active part of the company. Are Miles and Saban part of Michigan and WV because they offered advice to those schools?

bigyellowdog

Quote from: TexasHogfan on December 18, 2007, 10:34:08 am
FYI...Boston College is in the ACC now.

Thanks....my bad....these teams change conferences so fast it just messes you up.   ;D

fletcher

Quote from: HandD used autos on December 18, 2007, 10:54:19 am
We're all willing to drop it, Why can't espn drop it?

Based on the tons of posts this morning with Hog fans gloating over the Falcons players getting fined, I'm not sure everyone over here is willing to drop it just yet. You would think the Falcons are in the SEC West. I figured by now the attention would turn to Misssou as well as looking toward next season...

fletcher

Quote from: ImHogginIt on December 18, 2007, 11:02:25 am
You don't think he can call in favors to ESPN  ? I believe he could. Would he ? Who knows ? I don't put anything past men with big egos, pride, $$$, ect...

IMO, I think the whole ESPN think is pretty much a wild story in the middle of a slow news cycle. When in the past has there been a coach leading his NFL team and then less that 24 hours later having a news conference at a university. Along with that, ESPN does not usually get the chance to broadcast news conferences live on SportsCenter because typically they do not happen at almost midnight EST! I am not sure if it was fear of him backing out again or fear of negative press racing into town, but calling a midnight press conference isn't really the norm. Even Michigan waited until the next morning and their coach was leaving his alma mater!

Pigdiana Jones

All I'll say is... stupid move. That is it.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

fletcher

Quote from: ImHogginIt on December 18, 2007, 11:07:00 am
This is one tiny little message board. Arkansas and Petrino have been bashed like Hell. If I was to see one little comment on ESPN bashing RR for leaving his players in WV then I could drop the whole argument.

Part of that lies with RR actually addressing the team before he left. Another aspect to that move was that it was considered a step up. No offense, but a coach going from the NFL to a college team (any college team), is considered a step down. With RR, a move from the Big East to the Big 10, especially to a "traditional" power like Michigan is considered a step up.

Along with that is the timing. When Saban did it last year it was the off-season with some (but not nearly as much) controversy surrounding the timing...

U.P. HOGG

Quote from: fletcher on December 18, 2007, 10:42:06 am
Here is some of it, and it wasn't quoted from ESPN:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/football/ncaa/?cnn=yes

"An ineffective (or, quite possibly, non-existent) disciplinarian. As Louisville's disastrous 6-6 season played out this year, some unsavory details began to emerge about the way Petrino ran his program. New coach Steve Kragthorpe dealt with a litany of off-the-field issues that his predecessor either overlooked, or possibly covered up, involving some bad seeds he recruited."

Coach Kragthorpe needed someone to blame for the 6-6 season, and ESPN gave him a great one to lay the blame on.  Most of these people are either an idiot or blind.  I think both.

FranktheTankk

December 18, 2007, 11:25:24 am #29 Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 11:28:50 am by wayne1958
I am starting to keep count to see how long the Petrino story will be on the Spotlight on ESPN.com. So far we are up to day 7. Ford-E is such a tool.

MGCAPRI

Doesn't bother me one bit his name was to hard to pronounce anyway. :O)

cthog99

i used to be proud i lived in the same state as ESPN, not anymore!!

BEvERage

Lets fly a banner over their headquarters.

drivetimeporks

Quote from: CowHog on December 18, 2007, 10:20:57 am
I am slowly but surely attempting to phasing ESPN out of my life, it is hard but I am down to only like 4 hours of it a day......baby steps

its a good idea, if espn bugs u.. i have phased out tv news b/c well, watching it will make u nuts...

drivetimeporks

Quote from: drivetimeporks on December 18, 2007, 11:38:11 am
its a good idea, if espn bugs u.. i have phased out tv news b/c well, watching it will make u nuts...

well..ok..not entirely..i have to see what robin meade, and other newsbabes are wearing  everyday...

FranktheTankk

Quote from: GsdHog on December 18, 2007, 11:35:46 am
it may stay up unitl recruting is all but done.  If you think this goes away soon forget it.

They are happy about the first recruit to change his commitment because of their coverage.

It makes them feel powerful.

I am surprised no one on ESPN has jumped on Rodriguez for jumping ship at WV for Michigan after he said that he was staying.

PCHogs

I sent this email to ESPN:

Why the double standard at ESPN?  I mean Rich Rodriguez essentially did the same thing that Bobby Petrino did and what does ESPN do?  In Petrino's case ESPN ran stories for days about how bad a character Petrino is even to the point that ESPN "journalists" purposely attempted to talk recruits out of coming to Arkansas and some are still doing that.  Too, none of the so-called journalists at ESPN ever mentioned that Atlanta recently fired a coach (Dan Reeves) with 3 games left in the season.  Evidently that is ok with you and ESPN and Atlanta is not disloyal in your twisted view.  And evidently it is ok with ESPN and you that Rodriguez lied to his players, the WVU administration and alum and then dumped his alma mater's team before the bowl game to take a job at Michigan.  Where's the outrage!?  Why is that you and ESPN throw a temper tantrum over Petrino and yet in Rodriguez's case you say very little? The dirty little secret is that if Petrino had gone to Michigan instead of to Arkansas ESPN would have been singing Petrino's praises and encouraging recruits to go to Michigan, but since he went to Arkansas you decied to demonize him and discourage recruits from going to Arkansas. You and ESPN are no different than the rest of the drive-by media types.  You are agenda driven hypocrites and are the journalistic equivalent of Dan Rather, Jerry Springer, The National Enquirer and Connie Chung.
My websites: 

Watchman Fellowship (a Christian discernment ministry with expertise on cults, new religious movements and world religions): www.watchman.org

CC not PC (Constitutionally Correct not Politically Correct):  www.facebook.com/ccnotpc and www.ccnotpc.com

spudhog

i don't know if this kid would've came or not. i am sure that bc coaches were only repeating what was said on bspn. i hope the kid has a nice career and doesn't regret his decision.

hoggeek

Quote from: ImHogginIt on December 18, 2007, 10:51:58 am
Golly Gee Wiz ! Looks like he's involved agin' Jethro

http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/11/news/companies/homedepot_lessons.fortune/index.htm

Would you show this to Fresh Legs? He's started another post saying "Lay off the Home Depot stuff". It's disconcerting to see two Global Moderators having two completely different and contradictory points of view (I just checked; he's not "Global" - you're the man!). My head hurts.

I'm taking my Bryant Lowes receipts to the manager of the Benton Home Depot. "All politics is local".

fletcher

Quote from: U.P.  HOGG on December 18, 2007, 11:21:04 am
Coach Kragthorpe needed someone to blame for the 6-6 season, and ESPN gave him a great one to lay the blame on.  Most of these people are either an idiot or blind.  I think both.

This quote was off of si.com, not espn.com, but that's alright...

txkrazorback

Quote from: hoggeek on December 18, 2007, 12:36:26 pm
Would you show this to Fresh Legs? He's started another post saying "Lay off the Home Depot stuff". It's disconcerting to see two Global Moderators having two completely different and contradictory points of view (I just checked; he's not "Global" - you're the man!). My head hurts.

I'm taking my Bryant Lowes receipts to the manager of the Benton Home Depot. "All politics is local".
+1 i ain't goin' to homo-deporteto anymoro
The weakest thread post I know of in the history of Hogville: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=207820.msg3219371#msg3219371

BTW: If you need to remember the rules...http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?action=rules

fletcher

Quote from: FranktheTankk on December 18, 2007, 11:25:24 am
I am starting to keep count to see how long the Petrino story will be on the Spotlight on ESPN.com. So far we are up to day 7. Ford-E is such a tool.

May now be time to move on. I see that the top 2 stories on the front page of ESPN relating to CFB are RR battling with WV over his buyout and all of the Free Shoes players that are suspended for the bowl game and a few next season. Yikes! :-)

razordan

I wish some of the BIG money boosters would use some of their money to make Arthur Blank look like an idiot. Surely they have some pull with the media and things of that nature. BIG means ie: Jerry Jones, John Tyson, Jim Lindsey, and so on and so forth.

FranktheTankk

Quote from: fletcher on December 18, 2007, 12:53:07 pm
May now be time to move on. I see that the top 2 stories on the front page of ESPN relating to CFB are RR battling with WV over his buyout and all of the Free Shoes players that are suspended for the bowl game and a few next season. Yikes! :-)

Yeah I meant on the College FB page on the spotlight scroller.

fletcher

Quote from: razordan on December 18, 2007, 01:03:06 pm
I wish some of the BIG money boosters would use some of their money to make Arthur Blank look like an idiot. Surely they have some pull with the media and things of that nature. BIG means ie: Jerry Jones, John Tyson, Jim Lindsey, and so on and so forth.

Why is there an obsession with trying to make Arthur Blank look bad? What did he do besides fire back after his coach made him look like a fool? I wonder if any of those "Finish" T-shirts BP had printed up for the team a few weeks aro are up on ebay yet?

I assume guys like Jerry Jones are and should be more concerned with making the NFL back all of the money they are losing on the NFL Network deal. JJ was the main force behind going with an NFL Network to air those 8 games as opposed to selling them to an existing broadcast network and now they are losing $$$ while battling with cable companies like Compact that do not want to pay what the NFL is asking for...

JoePaul03

Quote from: HogZ28 on December 18, 2007, 11:37:00 am

no i think it should be "The Nerd and The Admitted Steroid Using Fat Overweight Ex Jock"   i really cant stand that show or most of the stuff on ESPN anymore....

Fixed that for ya
WCOB, 2003

Deuce Pigelow

Says Dmac and Felix will be the first 2 RB's taken in the draft.

booogaga

GO HOGS!

COCHISE

December 18, 2007, 03:54:51 pm #48 Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 04:02:49 pm by 870 RZR
On College Football Live, did a segment on Junior Okpara leaving due to Petrino's reputation and saying there will be more recruits decommit due to the Petrino hire.  How can this be allowed?  Also said the Petrino hire was a C+ for Arkansas.  Oddly enough they didn't mention the fact that BP got a commitment from Wilson, I guess they "forgot". :-[

razorbackfan4life

I wish ESPN would just shut the fu!!@ up.  I'm sick of hearing all of this.  They are out to get us..