Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We don't need a Hesiman winner at QB this year to succeed

Started by Sirporkalot, April 05, 2005, 12:14:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirporkalot

It would be great to have another Stoerner; but we don't HAVE to have it.  We just need a QB to get us in the right plays; and let the line do it's job...right?
-OLINE-We have alot of experience coming back on the Oline.  The one caveat is are they very good at blocking for a pocket passer instead of a scrambler like Jones...did he make the line look better than it is?  Did he cause havoc on the line; since they didn't know what he was gonna do on any play?  Watch the ability to create a pocket; and how they repsond to less improv offense.
-WIDE RECEIVERS-Talent!!!! we are improving at Wr with Monk in his second year, Cedric Washington maturing?,  and the addition of Brown, and Logan.  We have alot of talent; but alot of inexperience too.
-TB/FB- Weakness?  DeArrius is theleading candidate at TB.  Hillis is an enigma at TB; but is really an Hback.  We are all talking about a TRUE FR at TB making a difference; which is scary....this is a weakness.  One injury and we are in deep ^&()*.

Pragmatic PiG

Sirporkalot

Quote from: Pragmatic PiG on April 05, 2005, 12:18:53 pm
stoerner didn't win the heisman ;)

thanks for the inteligent discussion and reading comprehension.

Swino

I really believe that MJ made the O-line look better than they really were.  Not that they were bad, but the lack of sacks should be attributed more to Matt's awesome ability than to the O-lines blocking.  The QB spot will settle down only if HDN allows it to.  If our QB's are too scared about making mistakes they will be hesitant and jumpy, we need HDN and company to instill confidence in our QB's. 
Even with Herring at the DC spot, I am still wondering about the state of our D-line, we have been very un-Arkansas like the past 3 years and I am sick of our anemic pass rush.  Will it improve and how can we tell if it is with our O-line depleted for spring  ball? 

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Swino on April 05, 2005, 02:03:29 pm
I really believe that MJ made the O-line look better than they really were.  Not that they were bad, but the lack of sacks should be attributed more to Matt's awesome ability than to the O-lines blocking.  The QB spot will settle down only if HDN allows it to.  If our QB's are too scared about making mistakes they will be hesitant and jumpy, we need HDN and company to instill confidence in our QB's. 
Even with Herring at the DC spot, I am still wondering about the state of our D-line, we have been very un-Arkansas like the past 3 years and I am sick of our anemic pass rush.  Will it improve and how can we tell if it is with our O-line depleted for spring  ball? 

Or did Matt make the O line look worse than it really was?

Fatty McGee

Quote from: HogInMemphis on April 05, 2005, 02:06:03 pm

Or did Matt make the O line look worse than it really was?

Or did the O line make Matt look vaguely curious?

So many possible permutations, it's hard to pick just one!
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

SultanofSwine

I attribute all that mess to HDN. Just imagine Matt going back into the huddle...OK guys we now have 3.2 seconds to break huddle and get the ball snapped becasue nailbiter just dropped a load down one leg of his britches and has no clue what to call against this defense, ya'll try to block somebody and I'll try to throw or run it or somethin, BREAK.

Theolesnort

I thought that question was answered in the Georgia game when Matt was hurt, in comes Johnson and it was sack city. Of course part of it was timing and the urgency of us having to make big plays. No way they could have rushed Matt if he were healthy and able to hit his receivers. Heck they wanted him throwing and not running.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

idochog

Quote from: SultanofSwine on April 05, 2005, 02:21:54 pm
I attribute all that mess to HDN. Just imagine Matt going back into the huddle...OK guys we now have 3.2 seconds to break huddle and get the ball snapped becasue nailbiter just dropped a load down one leg of his britches and has no clue what to call against this defense, ya'll try to block somebody and I'll try to throw or run it or somethin, BREAK.

Thats the 1st and 2nd down play in HDN's playbook.  Of course you have the DRAW play on 3rd and long.  That play he wont forget.
I love Jesus!

Theolesnort

And where do people get off on Stoerner being the end all Qback of the Razorbacks. Granted he was a great big play Qback but he lacked quite a bit at making the the little ordinary plays to keep a drive going. Rarely did he hit more than 50% pass completions in his games. I'm not down grading him but when I look at the future I want better field generals than him someone like Montgomery, Britnum, or Scanlon. These guys knew how to take you on 15-20 play 80 yard drives with a mix of passing and throwing. Granted the game has changed, but some Qbacks can see the weakness of the D alignment and take the 5 yard gain that is a given instead of going for broke all the time. Some of the fans are young and the can only compare the Qback spot to Stoerner because to them he is the benchmark. I will say this about him that as a tough guy he ranks up there with Montgomery.The ideal Qback is the one that can make the big play when needed and to suprise now and then and also be patient and take what the defense gives you. In my humble opinion this is what Stoerner lacked, he would not take what the defense gave him. Sometimes he would force things and still make big plays but a lot of times it would be 4 and out.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

PerryHog

I remember matt running for his life before he ever even got to set his feet many times. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if some of Matt's ad lib stuff made the oline look bad. If I was this year's qb, I'd be nervous on obvious passing downs.

Biggus Piggus

I really believe that MJ made the O-line look better than they really were. Not that they were bad, but the lack of sacks should be attributed more to Matt's awesome ability than to the O-lines blocking.

Lack of sacks, but what about the number of disrupted plays?  Remember the 12 picks Jones threw?  Two vs. Texas, 1 LaMo, 1 Alabama, 3 Florida, 2 South Carolina, 1 MSU, 2 LSU.  He was 12-27 against Auburn, 13-27 vs. Texas, 12-29 vs. LSU.  Take NMSU and LaMo out of his numbers, and he completed 54% with 10 TDs and 11 INTs, plus 12 sacks in those nine games.  Jones was passing under duress much of the time, and his turnovers (picks and fumbles off scrambles) were a large part of the reason why we were under .500.  Do you blame him, or notice that the blocking had a lot to do with it?  Blocking has to get vastly better for Jones's successor to survive the 2005 season.
[CENSORED]!

idochog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 05, 2005, 04:09:57 pm
I really believe that MJ made the O-line look better than they really were. Not that they were bad, but the lack of sacks should be attributed more to Matt's awesome ability than to the O-lines blocking.

Lack of sacks, but what about the number of disrupted plays? Remember the 12 picks Jones threw? Two vs. Texas, 1 LaMo, 1 Alabama, 3 Florida, 2 South Carolina, 1 MSU, 2 LSU. He was 12-27 against Auburn, 13-27 vs. Texas, 12-29 vs. LSU. Take NMSU and LaMo out of his numbers, and he completed 54% with 10 TDs and 11 INTs, plus 12 sacks in those nine games. Jones was passing under duress much of the time, and his turnovers (picks and fumbles off scrambles) were a large part of the reason why we were under .500. Do you blame him, or notice that the blocking had a lot to do with it? Blocking has to get vastly better for Jones's successor to survive the 2005 season.

Sad part Biggus, is that shotty blocking was occuring w/ Max Protect and No Blitz for the most part because of MJ's abilitiy to take it to the house.

I guess this year we keep 9 in to block with 1 pass receiver for 3rd and long.  Pretty damn scary if you ask me.  Not a recipe for success either.  Ever wonder why MJ had to force passess? Kinda hard to find someone open when you send 1 or 2 receivers out into a 4-5 deep coverage.
I love Jesus!

Sirporkalot

It all comes back to the issue of "can the line create a pocket and hold their blocks?".  They have been accustomed to Improv offense and not having to stick to a system; but this year it will be more system based.  Don't discount the effect of chaos from Improv Offense; but the Oline is just not where it needs to be.  A prime example of why the offense has had problems can all be traced back to our lack of blocking in MJ's Freshman year; thus putting a major value on his mobility to get away from the rush.   

idochog

Quote from: Sirporkalot on April 05, 2005, 04:46:59 pm
It all comes back to the issue of "can the line create a pocket and hold their blocks?". They have been accustomed to Improv offense and not having to stick to a system; but this year it will be more system based. Don't discount the effect of chaos from Improv Offense; but the Oline is just not where it needs to be. A prime example of why the offense has had problems can all be traced back to our lack of blocking in MJ's Freshman year; thus putting a major value on his mobility to get away from the rush.

I'll be interesting if the "system" offense is just as predictible as the "improv" offense.
I love Jesus!

Biggus Piggus

Also Sirpork, the receivers have to get open in the patterns they are allowed to run.  We've done a lot of stuff that was easy to cover.  Easy to recognize our sets, easy to anticipate breaks, easy to disregard the tight end, fullback and tailback as receivers.  Easy to cover our receivers, usually, at least for the better SEC DBs.  I think it's a reach to assume that a new QB is going to be entrusted with a more complex offense.  The receivers as a group are coming up.  I sure would like to see more passes to the backs, but you go look at the practice charts, and you'll see why it doesn't happen in games.  Don't practice it.
[CENSORED]!