Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Point guard

Started by Section B, November 18, 2007, 05:17:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Section B

Who think's Stephan Welsh should be our primary point guard?
Quote from: wocraig on February 23, 2009, 09:34:42 PM
"This is the beginning of a major character flaw with American society.
If this feeling of entitlement is allowed to fester, our republic will not be maintainable.
We need a grassroots movement encouraging personal responsibility and the reiteration that government only provides equality of opportunity... NOT EQUALITY OF OUTCOME." 

Amen brotha.

Fort Swine

I dont know about that, but the need for a true drive, draw, and disher is there.  I like the get up and down style of this team.  VCU is grabbing shorts.  That day off in the gym may have helped these guys understand what Coach Pel wants.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

GiantFoamFingerMak

I don't know about his ball handling, but he appears to at least be making some good decisions...which is more than our other player are doing.
Definition of HDN:  "College football's most aptly-surnamed sideline stalker twitches and fidgets like a snake-handling minister preaching a revival in a circus tent by the river while taking crystal meth and being jabbed in the backside by a cattle prod."

Fort Swine

Ervin just makes me nervous.  He goes 90 mph with a 50 mph game.  He should have stayed at Moo U.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

pigsnoter49

How qualified are you to make that sort of decision?
Ding Dong The Dork Is Gone Oh Happy Day!

mosehawg

What about Britt? He was a great guard @ Forrest City and handles the ball really well...plus he played in a simular system in high school. Welsh seems to turnover prone...
"I don't take no anesthetic. Did Lincoln ask for any girlie gas when they blowed his head off?"

The Realist

I don't know Stephan Welsh.  But I do think Stefan is a good 2 guard and thats where he should be.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

Section B

Quote from: pigsnoter49 on November 18, 2007, 05:26:52 pm
How qualified are you to make that sort of decision?

As qualified as you are most likely ?????

Not making a decision.  Just seems more under control than Ervin, and makes better instinctive bball decisions.
If this feeling of entitlement is allowed to fester, our republic will not be maintainable.
We need a grassroots movement encouraging personal responsibility and the reiteration that government only provides equality of opportunity... NOT EQUALITY OF OUTCOME." 

Amen brotha.

Rooka

Next year we will have a FR PG, Bank on it.

Section B

Quote from: The Realist on November 18, 2007, 05:31:38 pm
I don't know Stephan Welsh.  But I do think Stefan is a good 2 guard and thats where he should be.

Excuse me...  Stefan.  Geeez.

Amen brotha.

Section B

Quote from: mmosl91 on November 18, 2007, 05:31:10 pm
What about Britt? He was a great guard @ Forrest City and handles the ball really well...plus he played in a simular system in high school. Welsh seems to turnover prone...

Haven't seen him play enough to have an opinion.  Must be better than GE surely.

Amen brotha.

Section B

Quote from: Death by Hog on November 18, 2007, 05:33:20 pm

That's great.  Need one now.  Like the commentator said-  If we had VCU's PG we'd be dangerous.

Amen brotha.

pigsnoter49

Not making a decision.   I'll leave that to our COACH.   Who should know what our players are capable of.
Ding Dong The Dork Is Gone Oh Happy Day!

Section B

Quote from: pigsnoter49 on November 18, 2007, 05:39:15 pm
Not making a decision.   I'll leave that to our COACH.   Who should know what our players are capable of.

True enough.  Gotta feeling that Ervin we'll see progressively less playing time as things go forward.

Amen brotha.

Dugann

Think that is the missing part of this team a good true point guard that see the floor well would take it to a different level and help through these growing pains.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

Rooka

Quote from: Section8 on November 18, 2007, 05:37:57 pm
Quote from: Death by Hog on November 18, 2007, 05:33:20 pm

That's great.  Need one now.  Like the commentator said-  If we had VCU's PG we'd be dangerous.
I agree we need one now, but fact of the matter is we dont have a true PG on this team we will just have to work with welsh until Fortson steps on campus then it will be his job to lose.

Section B

Ervin does shoot free throws well at the end of a game like a true point guard should.  I'll give him that much.

Amen brotha.

Section B

Quote from: Section8 on November 18, 2007, 06:07:29 pm
Ervin does shoot free throws well at the end of a game like a true point guard should.  I'll give him that much.

Work with Welsh or give GE a sedative before the game to calm him down.

Amen brotha.

berg

No one has mentioned it but what about Beverly at point?

He handles it well (when he doens't palm), seems to be the best at getting to the rim, and most importantly:  I don't think anyone else can do it.  Maybe Brit.

Section B

Quote from: berg on November 18, 2007, 06:12:56 pm

He handles it well (when he doens't palm), seems to be the best at getting to the rim, and most importantly:  I don't think anyone else can do it.  Maybe Brit.

PB would be fine with me as long as we don't lose his scoring.

Amen brotha.

berg

Quote from: Section8 on November 18, 2007, 06:21:11 pm

I agree.

mbgrulz

Quote from: mmosl91 on November 18, 2007, 05:31:10 pm
britt was a 2 star guard who was going to La Tech. pel scooped him up because he wasn't comfortable with ervin's game. i don't think we really want to entrust our offense to britt quite yet. to be honest, MB is one of the guys who might be 'looking for more playing time' after this season. remember, pel will want to make room for some big time recruits for 2009.

40MINSOFHELL

"If we keep doing the things we're doing, trying to cut down on our turnovers, the sky is the limit for us," Beverley said.

slopinhogs

he is on the way here the true drive disher who had rather pass than shoot. maybe he will help us next year.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

chiefsfan

beverly has palmingidis

and all were obvious calls too
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

HogMavFan

Quote from: Section8 on November 18, 2007, 05:17:43 pm
Who think's Stephan Welsh should be our primary point guard?

I totally agree. I said it all last season too. Ervin is a decent shooter but a horrible decision maker at point. We would have won 3 more games last year if Ervin hadn't been playing point at the end of the game. He is fairly effective on the wing and due to our lack of guards, is needed there but the more we keep the ball out of his hands, the better. Use Welsh and/or Beverley at point.

oldfart

Quote from: chiefsfan on November 18, 2007, 10:03:49 pm

beverly has palmingidis

and all were obvious calls too

that is gonna be hard to get out of the player's systems. they have gotten away with it for years and years and it is ingrained in them.  even kids in the third grade do it.  but im glad to see it being called the way it should be...when i was refereeing jr high and high school games i would call it and you never heard the screaming when i did....

HogFanInTulsa

Lets bring back Corey Beck..ha ha

HogFanInTulsa

I liked Corey Beck alot

Smithian

I don't think Britt will offer us much as far as shooting goes or attacking the basket, but I think he will be an alright defender and distribute the ball well.

If we had a PG who could do nothing but hit an open three, distibute the ball, and not be a waterfall on defense, we'd be awesome.

Dr Swineglove

I wonder how far we'll go in the post season with out PG-by-committee?
Hopefully Gary will respond to some good coaching and make good decisions
down the streach.  Next year we're going to have Fortson and (hopefully) Joyner
to watch - I'm looking forward to that.  I just hope Welsh and Ervin can make
things happen this year.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

berg

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on November 19, 2007, 09:33:46 pm
I wonder how far we'll go in the post season with out PG-by-committee?
Hopefully Gary will respond to some good coaching and make good decisions
down the streach.  Next year we're going to have Fortson and (hopefully) Joyner
to watch - I'm looking forward to that.  I just hope Welsh and Ervin can make
things happen this year.

I don't think we will be able to realize the talent of the team this year.  No point guard will be our downfall.

Nolan said "cut off the head and kill the body" or something close.  We have no head!!!  About the time we lose our entire front court, we bring in a point guard.

I hope Pel can get the whole package together in the next year or two.

slopinhogs

isn't rakestraw a point ? lets wait till his finger heals and see what he offers. i don't thiunk Ervin is our best shot at point but he tries hard. :razorback:

boredatwork

I haven't had a chance to see much of the four games so far. I know there is a new system, and point guards have to adjust quite a bit to fit -- does Ervin's play look worse than "just settling in?" Is he moving too quickly for the bigs?

one last question -- are the guards picking up their dribble too quickly and getting isolated near the corners? That was the hardest thing to watch last year, over and over.

boredatwork

well, that and the losing. that was probably the hardest thing to watch.

blacksuit

Quote from: boredatwork on November 20, 2007, 01:25:12 pm
I haven't had a chance to see much of the four games so far. I know there is a new system, and point guards have to adjust quite a bit to fit -- does Ervin's play look worse than "just settling in?" Is he moving too quickly for the bigs?

one last question -- are the guards picking up their dribble too quickly and getting isolated near the corners? That was the hardest thing to watch last year, over and over.

They pass into double teams, dribble into double teams. Against VCU they passed out of them fairly well, but we only had 14 assists the whole game. Ervin only had one assist in 27 mins. PBev and Welsh each had 3.

But we've seen GE play enough, he's not going to be a lot better this year, but I'm hopeful that Pel can get him to make smarter decisions or at least rotate other players at the one.

SpareRib

I believe PB would be good at point, but asking him to do that AND maintain his scoring may be too much.  We need his buckets.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

boredatwork

Quote from: SpareRib on November 20, 2007, 01:39:12 pm

I believe PB would be good at point, but asking him to do that AND maintain his scoring may be too much.  We need his buckets.

It seems like it would almost be double edged, if he did well at the 1. If he could play point and lead the hogs deep into March, than it would be great. Unfortunately, him being a competent point guard seems like it would be all the convincing it would take for a pro team to draft him.

But then again, good showings in March mean good showings for recruits and so on cyclically and so forth. But I was hoping to see Beverley in a razorback uniform for a little while longer. Last year, he seemed to have a passion (especially in the SECT) that wasn't matched by anyone else (especially the coach.) Now it looks like you've got a passionate coach in there -- I can't wait to see Pelphrey and Beverley in a high-tension/emotion game near the end of the season. We're in for some good basketball, I hope.

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: Fort Swine on November 18, 2007, 05:24:57 pm
Ervin just makes me nervous.  He goes 90 mph with a 50 mph game.  He should have stayed at Moo U.
Yeah, hopefully he will settle down.  Last year he was our best PG down the stretch.  We just need him to settle down alittle.

slopinhogs

yep thay all need to settle down a little. a couple of more games under their belts and they should start to evolve from their cocoons and become beautiful to watch.

TRUHOG718

November 20, 2007, 03:28:11 pm #40 Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 03:36:05 pm by TRUHOG718
When he passes half court and picks up his dribble , 1-before he calls the play or 2-before he knows who he's passing it to makes me  :puke: Ervin is a nervous wreck at times and its just plain horrible to watch as a HOG fan because his bad outweighs his good and as a point guard that is not a good trait to have since the ball is in your hands more than anyone else. I guess that Tehran Cox Scholly wouldn't have been so bad now HUH?
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

parrishw

Ervin is a flaming idiot and should have lost his scholarship 2 years ago.

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: slopinhogs on November 19, 2007, 09:49:07 pm
isn't rakestraw a point ? lets wait till his finger heals and see what he offers. i don't thiunk Ervin is our best shot at point but he tries hard. :razorback:

Rakestraw is a SG not a point.