Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How can these TO's be corrected?

Started by coach, my back hurts, November 17, 2007, 12:49:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

coach, my back hurts

PLEASE.....someone with some Bball IQ please chim in.  I am very interested in hearing an explaination.

Its not like where committing 18 TO's a game and need to get it down to around 12, but 31 FREAKIN TO's?  Thats some stuff you would see Cabot HS if they were playing UCLA or something.  Its embarrassing is what it is.  2 nights in a row at that.

I dont blame Pel at all.  I hope he runs their d!cks into the ground tomorrow.

Rotnei, if you cant see that we definately need your services, you're either the best shooter for a blind person or just not that bright.  And i'm being as sincere as possible.  We need ya buddy.

Is there any way we can get a JUCO guy or Fortson eligible after Xmas break?

Pel needs to change the lineup.

-Welsh or Bevy at the point and the other at the 2
-Washington or Thomas at the 3
-Thomas or Hunter at the 4
-Townes at Center

Hill, Weems, and Ervin need to be cut back to about 10 mins or less. 

I'm not blaming ANYTHING on any particular person, but something just isnt clicking.  Our offense is very shaky at best when Hill is in the game and Weems just needs a shot of speed or something.

I know, i know, its early, but By God! i've put up with football for as long as i can take it. 
Razorback Nation is just itching for something good to happen.

hawgsav1

November 17, 2007, 12:57:16 am #1 Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 01:01:45 am by hawgsav1
Don't put Pbev or Welsh at the point.  They're in there to take pressure off of Gary Ervin, not replace him.  They're not bad at ballhandling, but they can't take the pressure of the whole position being put on them.  I've noticed this with fast-break and up-tempo offenses...but it's hard to fix a dysfunctional up-tempo offense just by subbing one or two players out, because that offense is based on the cohesiveness of your entire team.

If you run a half-court offense, it's easier to fix something by subbing in and out players because often, these kinds of offenses depend on one player doing one or two things correctly (e.g. setting their screens, taking their man off the dribble, driving, spot-up shooting, etc.).  For example, if you're running the Princeton offense, you may sub a player in and out because either the big man isn't making his passes, or the little guys aren't making their cuts.  If you run an isolation offense, either one guy isn't setting his screens, or another isn't hustling on the boards, or your go-to guy isn't beating his man to the basket, or your shooter isn't hitting his shots.

If you're running a fast-break offense, it frankly involves everyone (esp. the point guard).  Your PG has to get the ball as quick as possible off the steal of the defensive board and take the middle down the court.  Ideally, you should have men on the wings and one trailing behind so your PG (or other ball-handler) has the option to drive, score himself, kick it out to a shooter, or pass it to an unguarded man for the layup or dunk.  I think to fix that you're going to need to do more than just take one or two guys out.  That's something that's not a quick fix unfortunately...
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

bigbrotha

We play more half court basketball.  If we press do it in the half court then use our advantage of length not quickness.   Ervin is the only truly quick player on the court at any time, and he's average among point guards.  When Thomas or Washington are picking up their player at the baseline and having to guard them the full length of the court fatigue sets in.  Our strength is our size and we're wearing our big men out on the defensive side of the ball.  When it comes to offense they're standing around catching their breath.  Since they're not moving our guards are just telegraphing passes to one another.  When we get in a half court offense run high/low plays through Townes and multiple screens for Beverly.  I understand your dislike for Hill, but Hill is so dominant defensively he alone gives us a reason to play a half court defense.  We don't have to cause turnovers to stop other offenses.  Our half court man defense is why the 30 turnovers didn't cause us to lose by 40.

SardisHog

So does all this justify Pel to change his style of game and go to a walk it up and down the floor like Stan's?
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."<br />- Robin Williams

Gman

Quote from: hootieistheblowfish on November 17, 2007, 01:08:19 am
We play more half court basketball.  If we press do it in the half court then use our advantage of length not quickness.   Ervin is the only truly quick player on the court at any time, and he's average among point guards.  When Thomas or Washington are picking up their player at the baseline and having to guard them the full length of the court fatigue sets in.  Our strength is our size and we're wearing our big men out on the defensive side of the ball.  When it comes to offense they're standing around catching their breath.  Since they're not moving our guards are just telegraphing passes to one another.  When we get in a half court offense run high/low plays through Townes and multiple screens for Beverly.  I understand your dislike for Hill, but Hill is so dominant defensively he alone gives us a reason to play a half court defense.  We don't have to cause turnovers to stop other offenses.  Our half court man defense is why the 30 turnovers didn't cause us to lose by 40.
I think the fatigue factor has something to do with it.  It is very apparent that they are playing extremely hard while on defense, and have almost no intensity on offense.  Could be that Pel has put alot more emphasis on that early on thinking that it would carry them until the offense came along.  Watched both games this week and alot of those turnovers were just bad decisions by the players, and also seems like alot of hard passes that our bigs can't hold on to, maybe that is an area they need to practice.  If everyone will remember it is not unlike last year when we were running or trying to run a motion offense, alot of standing around, could be we just have a bunch of lazy players out there, or they were made that way by the previous coach...

ConwayHog

Ok first of all, the solution is not keep Hill, Ervin, and Weems on the bench for 30 minutes per game.  Charles Thomas had 5 turnovers early as well. 

I think one thing he's going to do out of necessity is play Beverly more time at the point.  It's the last thing this team needs from a scoring perspective but I think it's looking like a must.  Honestly, I'm for giving Welsh more time early on.  One thing he may want to do is bench Ervin for the first couple of mins and visit with him, let him watch the game, etc.  Then put him in early on in the game and hopefully he's calmed down.  The other option would be to pull him out after two minutes and visit, i.e. Rick Majerus visiting with Andre Miller.

Many of our turnovers are stupid mistakes.  Vincent Hunter is clumsy and out of control.   He is a prime candidate for riding the pine.  Steven Hill should not have to be around the ball while bringing it up the floor.  People like Weems and Beverly have a lot of skill.  Welsh isn't as talented but is still a solid player.

Fran's comments drove me crazy yesterday.  He acted like we had a bunch of Wenbos Mukubu's on the floor outside of Beverly and maybe Weems.  That couldn't be further from the truth. 

I think you let Charles Thomas start and take over as a leader for this team. 

Pelphrey will have to stress for the guys to keep down the long stupid passes, 30 foot alley oop attempts, and overall carelessness with the basketball on a fast break.  They also must finish a lot better.  If they'll do some of these things, I think you'll see the number decrease to 20 or below.

Unfortunately, with this group of kids, hog fans will probably have to tolerate up to 20 turnovers per night and hope we finish well enough and play good enough half court defense to overcome the errors.

ConwayHog

slopinhogs

a couple of practices in an un airconditioned gym helped a lot already. only had 17 against a full court pressing and trapping team. don't think for a minute that Coach Pel can't handle this situation.
from watching him on the sideline during a game ,he may be netter than we deserve, but don't tell him i said that,
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

coach, my back hurts

Quote from: slopinhogs on November 19, 2007, 09:53:47 pm
a couple of practices in an un airconditioned gym helped a lot already. only had 17 against a full court pressing and trapping team. don't think for a minute that Coach Pel can't handle this situation.
from watching him on the sideline during a game ,he may be netter than we deserve, but don't tell him i said that,

I never once thought that Pel "couldnt" get this corrected, i just dont think we have smart players.  That could be due to some having 2 or 3 yrs under Heath.  I bet Heath never emphasized TO's the way Pel has and playing mentally and physically tough.

Having said that, i'm VERY worried about next weeks game with Mizz.  I think they'll eat our guards up.  I just hope our defense shows up as well.  Should be a good one.

Hawgasaurus

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.

mountainhog

Running your arse off always seemed to work for us when we had a bad game. 

The next game we usually did better.