Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pelphrey's post game interview

Started by Go stAte, November 16, 2007, 11:02:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Go stAte

if you missed it, it was the best part of the game/broadcast.  he showed more accountability in 5 minutes than nutt has as 10 years, and less face it, nutt had plenty of opportunities to comment on losing efforts.  no one play away or look who we lossed to or we were so close.

in case you missed it went something like this.

i would like to apologize to the fans of this great institution.  this is not what im about and not what this program is about.  we are not the 18th ranked team in the country right now and we have a lot of work to do, starting with a couple sessions tomorrow.  i will get this fixed and we will not stop until it is fixed.  we will find the right mix of players to meet the expectations of this program and coaching staff.

pelfrey was complimentary of providence, but that guys was steaming.  time will tell if he can turn this bunch of career underachievers into winners, but listening to him after a game like gives me a great deal of confidence that it will happen, and happen sooner rather than later.  if not with stan's players, you can chalk up a return to excellence when he gets "his" guys in there.

i would hate to be a basketball hog tomorrow on the "off" day.   

SpareRib

November 16, 2007, 11:12:39 pm #1 Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 11:34:42 pm by SpareRib
You know, this is the real value of the preseason tournaments.  You can bet Pelphrey knows exactly what to work on now and who to put the heat on.  I agree ...  I'd hate to be on his floor tomorrow.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

pignatious

I love reading that. That is exactly what a coach needs to say. No freaking excuses ala Houston Dale Nutt. Just get to work and get it corrected.

That being said, I now have tremendous doubts that these players have any heart at all and can be salvaged. They have become a mirror image of Stan Heath, and have no fire or desire to get better. They prefer to just walk through games and if things start going bad, well that's just the way it goes. Not the way Razorbacks should play. This may be a longer term rebuilding project than I had thought. These guys do not like to run and we have no point guard to get the ball distributed. I will have to be happy if I can see improvement during the season and the players at least learn some fundamentals along the way.
Freedom is never free.

40MINSOFHELL

"We will be getting after it like there's no tomorrow," Pelphrey said.

He Is The Right Man For The Job With Comments Like These :D

Go stAte

Quote from: pignatious on November 16, 2007, 11:30:39 pm
I love reading that. That is exactly what a coach needs to say. No freaking excuses ala Houston Dale Nutt. Just get to work and get it corrected.

That being said, I now have tremendous doubts that these players have any heart at all and can be salvaged. They have become a mirror image of Stan Heath, and have no fire or desire to get better. They prefer to just walk through games and if things start going bad, well that's just the way it goes. Not the way Razorbacks should play. This may be a longer term rebuilding project than I had thought. These guys do not like to run and we have no point guard to get the ball distributed. I will have to be happy if I can see improvement during the season and the players at least learn some fundamentals along the way.

the only thing that concerned me going into this season was getting the stan heath out of these guys.  in the short term i hope it doesnt hurt fans perception of pelphrey.  i have watched him coach in person when south alabama came to jonesboro.  he will return arkansas to a top 10-15 program on a consistent basis.  if you get back to that point, anything is possible in the big dance.
remember those years when you expected to the hogs to make the elite 8 or it was a bad tourney?
gotta get back to that.

hogninja

The point being is that Pel is GOING to deal with it on their "play day".  Thus, no hang-gliding, no beach time, no jet ski's, no jungle excursions, just practice, practice, and practice.  I tell you guys, he will get his team corrected or they will die.  These guys are not used to tough love, but they will see it with Pel.  I expect early losses, but if that is used for correction, then I accept it as growing pains.  Jeeze, it's only 3 games into the season, give a break to what I think will be a GREAT BB coach if given the opportunity.
JMHO :razorback:

VenturaHog

"Boy you just hate to see that chuck, thats not like these kids. They're winners and fighters. Come on Gary, hold on to that ball. These players just didn't show up today, the other team wanted it more. It was a very very difficult game, just difficult Chuck.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: VenturaHog on November 17, 2007, 07:16:38 am
"Boy you just hate to see that chuck, thats not like these kids. They're winners and fighters. Come on Gary, hold on to that ball. These players just didn't show up today, the other team wanted it more. It was a very very difficult game, just difficult Chuck.

"You know Chuck, that Nate Rakestraw injury just hurts so much."

sponge_bob_4

You know this is basketball...no matter how much experience you have, sometimes you will have bad games and you will turn the ball over alot.  No excuses for it, but it's going to happen.  And the fact that everyone who has said that Pelphrey is getting these guys turned around and all that....now you are changing your tune after his first loss, saying that these guys are career underachievers and are mirror images of Stan Heath???  after one loss???  OMG, how about a little stability and faith from the fans instead of constantly changing your minds about what kind of team we have.  You can't keep being so fickle about this.  If we lose a game, hope we learn from it and get better....not just say "oh we're terrible, and just wait til' Pelphrey's recruits get here".  I am not saying accept defeat, just don't denounce your "favorite" team every time they lose a game they were "supposed" to win....I believe that's why they play the game, because who is "supposed" to win, doesn't alyways do that!

Go stAte

Quote from: sponge_bob_4 on November 17, 2007, 09:31:38 am
You know this is basketball...no matter how much experience you have, sometimes you will have bad games and you will turn the ball over alot.  No excuses for it, but it's going to happen.  And the fact that everyone who has said that Pelphrey is getting these guys turned around and all that....now you are changing your tune after his first loss, saying that these guys are career underachievers and are mirror images of Stan Heath???  after one loss???  OMG, how about a little stability and faith from the fans instead of constantly changing your minds about what kind of team we have.  You can't keep being so fickle about this.  If we lose a game, hope we learn from it and get better....not just say "oh we're terrible, and just wait til' Pelphrey's recruits get here".  I am not saying accept defeat, just don't denounce your "favorite" team every time they lose a game they were "supposed" to win....I believe that's why they play the game, because who is "supposed" to win, doesn't alyways do that!

i dont recall any negative comments toward pel or denouncing of the hogs.  everything in this thread has been complimentary and optimistic about the future of razorback basketball, except a few nuttisms that are always appropriate.

to say these highly touted recruits are career underachievers at this point is not much of a stretch.

jgphillips3

I am not one bit concerned.  It took Nolan two years to get the horses to run and gun.  I don't think Pelphrey will do it any faster.  Also, I remember when the MayDay team got beat by TCU by a score of like 51-45 or something like that and it didn't look like they could do anything right.  They turned out all right. 

I don't care if we we win big this year or lose big this year.  Pelphrey has a two year pass from me to get his players.  I love the fire in his belly and anyone who plays for him will leave their heart and soul on the floor or ride the pine.  If he can X & O well enough, we are going to be just fine.  All that said, I suspect this team will look very different come February than they do now.  GHG!

NateMan

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 17, 2007, 09:58:19 am
I don't care if we we win big this year or lose big this year.  Pelphrey has a two year pass from me to get his players.  I love the fire in his belly and anyone who plays for him will leave their heart and soul on the floor or ride the pine.  If he can X & O well enough, we are going to be just fine.  All that said, I suspect this team will look very different come February than they do now.  GHG!

I agree 100%.  Pel will make these guys do it his way, or they won't see the light of day.  His approach to correcting mistakes is simple: you will do it right, or we will drill into your head until you do!  Let's all give Pel some time, and not get on him too badly for early season losses.  Yesterday's loss means today he is going to get his point across with the players.  That is a good thing.

duroc

Anybody see where Pelphrey cancelled all of the "fun" stuff the players were going to do today?  No site seeing, no beach.  He will have not one, but TWO practices today!!!!

NateMan

Quote from: duroc on November 17, 2007, 10:24:35 am
Anybody see where Pelphrey cancelled all of the "fun" stuff the players were going to do today?  No site seeing, no beach.  He will have not one, but TWO practices today!!!!

I'm glad Pel decided to cancel that stuff.  That's the way it should be, after yesterday's showing.  He is doing exactly what a good coach is supposed to do. 

jgphillips3

Quote from: NateMan on November 17, 2007, 10:29:51 am

I'm glad Pel decided to cancel that stuff.  That's the way it should be, after yesterday's showing.  He is doing exactly what a good coach is supposed to do. 

You gotta love a coach with balls of steel who isn't afraid to tell his players how the cow ate the cabbage.  Coach pel is earning my respect every day.  No one knows how this Chapter of Razorback basketball history will come together or end, but I LOVE the way it is starting and LOVE the way coach Pel is teaching the guys. 

I also love the fact that he wasn't the most gifted athlete in the world but worked his way into being in the top 50 Kentucky players of all time list.  He's not going to let a truly gifted athlete become a prima donna.  You wonder why Michael Jordan became Michael Jordan while all the other pretenders fade away...work ethic and Dean Smith not treating him like God's gift to basketball.  Go Pel!  Go Hogs!

SpareRib

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 17, 2007, 10:41:47 am
Quote from: NateMan on November 17, 2007, 10:29:51 am

You gotta love a coach with balls of steel who isn't afraid to tell his players how the cow ate the cabbage.  Coach pel is earning my respect every day.  No one knows how this Chapter of Razorback basketball history will come together or end, but I LOVE the way it is starting and LOVE the way coach Pel is teaching the guys. 

I also love the fact that he wasn't the most gifted athlete in the world but worked his way into being in the top 50 Kentucky players of all time list.  He's not going to let a truly gifted athlete become a prima donna.  You wonder why Michael Jordan became Michael Jordan while all the other pretenders fade away...work ethic and Dean Smith not treating him like God's gift to basketball.  Go Pel!  Go Hogs!

Very well said.  Pel clearly took responsibility in his interview yesterday, and is demonstrating it with his actions today.  His style may run off some weak sisters, but it will make better men of those who stick with him.  The team will reap the benefit.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

mbgrulz

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on November 17, 2007, 08:28:54 am

HA! +1

Pork Twain

Nice to have a couch with some balls.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

pignatious

I love what I read in the paper today about Pelphrey working his players butts off today. That performance was inexcusable. I feel more and more certain that he is the right man for the job. It's just going to take a while to get it going. He will need some of his players in the mix. The guys we have now have had 3-4 years of extremely bad coaching and fundamental basketball is not their strong suit. There is a ton of psychological coaching that is needed to get them to think and act differently during a game, then when Stan was here. The defeatist attitude has to be replaced with fighting and scraping and never say die. I am not at all concerned that Pelphrey will get things going, it will just take longer with this group than I had hoped.
Freedom is never free.

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: BeoPig on November 17, 2007, 11:45:04 am

With all due respect, that's a pretty funny typo.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on November 17, 2007, 12:46:18 pm

With all due respect, that's a pretty funny typo.

with all due respect, that post aint worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin getting it on

BrooklynRoss

Hahaha, I was thinking a unicorn in space.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

Go stAte

i have a recliner that has a huge sack.

MaconBacon

Pel is going to do everything he can to make the Hogs win. He has to be successful here to wind up in his final destination....with Gilly already taking shots at Kentucky and not signing the formal contract.....a year or two will tell all.

hogninja

Quote from: MaconBacon on November 18, 2007, 03:47:15 pm
Pel is going to do everything he can to make the Hogs win. He has to be successful here to wind up in his final destination....with Gilly already taking shots at Kentucky and not signing the formal contract.....a year or two will tell all.

I have to question if KY is Pel's final destination.  We have everything here for him to succeed at the top level.  Why trade a situation that will give you some leeway in your down years for one that will run you out of town if you don't win the NC every other year. JMHO :razorback:

MDH

Quote from: hogninja on November 18, 2007, 05:39:37 pm

I have to question if KY is Pel's final destination.  We have everything here for him to succeed at the top level.  Why trade a situation that will give you some leeway in your down years for one that will run you out of town if you don't win the NC every other year. JMHO :razorback:

He bleeds blue.  There are very few people that have been more dedicated to their University than Pel has been to Kentucky.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

ark30inf

Quote from: MDH on November 18, 2007, 06:12:52 pm
Quote from: hogninja on November 18, 2007, 05:39:37 pm

He bleeds blue.  There are very few people that have been more dedicated to their University than Pel has been to Kentucky.

He is already a hero at Kentucky....an icon....a historical figure.  If he goes back there he is gambling that.  He is gambling  the reputation he has already earned as one of the great players to potentially being remembered as another failed KY coach.

Now this guy has a lot of confidence, so he may go for it.  But I don't know that it would be the wisest thing to gamble the old magic on recreating it in another role.

slopinhogs

today was the first time i ever saw Washington, Hunter Thomas and Townes with Beverly or Welsh and they played darned good defence on smaller guys. i think he is still looking for his starting 5. hill missed two shots and he took him out. i love coach Pel.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: slopinhogs on November 18, 2007, 10:02:30 pm
today was the first time i ever saw Washington, Hunter Thomas and Townes with Beverly or Welsh and they played darned good defence on smaller guys. i think he is still looking for his starting 5. hill missed two shots and he took him out. i love coach Pel.

Hill missed two dunks because he decided to jump 3 inches off the ground in a attempt to bounce it ever so gently off the backboard.   Brandon Moore & Andre Clark are skywalkers that love the flashy dunk so this will not be a issue next season.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

mbgrulz

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on November 18, 2007, 10:49:31 pm

Hill missed two dunks because he decided to jump 3 inches off the ground in a attempt to bounce it ever so gently off the backboard.   Brandon Moore & Andre Clark are skywalkers that love the flashy dunk so this will not be a issue next season.
yeah, and it takes hill 3 weeks to go from catching the ball to the shooting motion. his best offensive move is the alley oop-flush. i love his defense, but we are forced into playing 4 on 5 on offense. 

YepItsMe

I like the fact that after a terrible game on Friday he made the players have 2 practices on Saturday to get their butts in gear when they thought they could go party or whatever.  If Stan Heath was still around the probably would have and we would have been murdered today.

hawgtime

Quote from: hogninja on November 17, 2007, 01:44:01 am
The point being is that Pel is GOING to deal with it on their "play day".  Thus, no hang-gliding, no beach time, no jet ski's, no jungle excursions, just practice, practice, and practice.  I tell you guys, he will get his team corrected or they will die.  These guys are not used to tough love, but they will see it with Pel.  I expect early losses, but if that is used for correction, then I accept it as growing pains.  Jeeze, it's only 3 games into the season, give a break to what I think will be a GREAT BB coach if given the opportunity.
JMHO :razorback:

AMEN,  brotho!

hawgtime

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on November 17, 2007, 08:28:54 am

+1 for bringing Nutt into it.

hawgtime

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on November 18, 2007, 10:49:31 pm

Hill missed two dunks because he decided to jump 3 inches off the ground in a attempt to bounce it ever so gently off the backboard.   Brandon Moore & Andre Clark are skywalkers that love the flashy dunk so this will not be a issue next season.

that has ALWAYS peeved me about the players.  JUMP in the @##$#%^$% Air and SLAM the Ball.  if you have your hands on the ball in the hoop and someone touches you, they will get the foul and we will get the basket.  vary rarely does the ball come back out after it is in the hole.

come one big guys, SLAM the #$%#%^#^#%^ Ball.

bhuie

Man, is this kinda stuff ever needed up on the Hill!  I think Coach Pel is eventually going to run the Heath right outta these guys.  Even the thickest of them must be starting to realize that their life will be miserable if they don't give 100% effort all the time.  Pelphrey is the real deal...