Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I am tempted to blame Pel...

Started by jschulte, November 16, 2007, 06:11:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jschulte

but Its absurd to think that Stan couldn't teach these kids how to control the ball after having that much time with them.  They are not good ball players, goodness.

Dugann

IMO this one is on the players. 

Pel made adjustments, and still they can not hold on to the ball hell it's 31 right now school record is 35 I think

not coach bro... it is the players.

hehe Blake Eddings said  "way this game is going maybe time for a bud light " hehe

18 by RI, 31 by hogs.... just think if we had 1/2 of them back.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

Adam Stokes

Quote from: jschulte on November 16, 2007, 06:11:06 pm
but Its absurd to think that Stan couldn't teach these kids how to control the ball after having that much time with them.  They are not good ball players, goodness.

And we laughed at Kentucky when they blamed Tubby for the loss to Gardener Webb.

jschulte

Quote from: ajs15razorman on November 16, 2007, 06:32:44 pm
Quote from: jschulte on November 16, 2007, 06:11:06 pm

And we laughed at Kentucky when they blamed Tubby for the loss to Gardener Webb.

Yep, this just goes to show you.  The SEC is just bad this year.  I was so confident we had the talent though, goodness.

40MINSOFHELL

i hope Pel sits them all the bench sunday...maybe it will get their attention and if it doesnt...hell just sit them out, i cant stand it, stan heath players only for themselves and not as a team like pelfrey players will do...so dont blam Pel...blame the players(I PRAY THE GET IT FIXED OR IT WILL BE A LONG SEASON)

jschulte

Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on November 16, 2007, 06:44:07 pm
i hope Pel sits them all the bench sunday...maybe it will get their attention and if it doesnt...hell just sit them out, i cant stand it, stan heath players only for themselves and not as a team like pelfrey players will do...so dont blam Pel...blame the players(I PRAY THE GET IT FIXED OR IT WILL BE A LONG SEASON)

Please don't assume Pel's players will be better, we don't know that.  They will work better for his system I am sure, but they may be just as selfish/bad.

40MINSOFHELL

uhm ok, if we play like this, we wont make the ncaa tournament

Oliver

We now know that this is a VERY BAD team.  That won't change.  As long as we start to improve offensively throughout the year, then I will be happy with the job that Pelphrey does.

jschulte

Quote from: Oliver Miller on November 16, 2007, 06:50:08 pm
We now know that this is a VERY BAD team.  That won't change.  As long as we start to improve offensively throughout the year, then I will be happy with the job that Pelphrey does.

He still must make the dadgum tourney or he still digressed from stan. 

arkansaspanic

it really cracked me up when the announcer said...  how do you fix the problems -- go recruit

HawgG

Stan Heath is long gone and he has plenty of problems of his own trying to rebuild USF and no time to worry about what is going on here at Arkansas.

According to all of you all this is all Coach Pelphrey's team so please keep that in mind.

40MINSOFHELL

yes its Coach Pelfrey team but he didnt recruit these players, if he could get rid of them, more than likely he would lol

mbgrulz

Quote from: arkansaspanic on November 16, 2007, 06:53:55 pm
it really cracked me up when the announcer said...  how do you fix the problems -- go recruit
recruiting is the only remedy for this kind of a problem. you can't coach basketball IQ into players. they have it or they don't.

jschulte

Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on November 16, 2007, 07:00:55 pm
yes its Coach Pelfrey team but he didnt recruit these players, if he could get rid of them, more than likely he would lol

Well, not get rid of them... but switch them out for other players yes, ha

HawgG

Quote from: mbgrulz on November 16, 2007, 07:00:58 pm
Quote from: arkansaspanic on November 16, 2007, 06:53:55 pm
recruiting is the only remedy for this kind of a problem. you can't coach basketball IQ into players. they have it or they don't.

Yes it does come down to recruiting mainly as it just about always do in college sports.

hawgsav1

ok, I don't think is a bad team.  This is a team that is NOT playing up to it's potential...We will struggle speeding it up...and until Pelphrey gets them handling the ball correctly, they won't be as effective on offense...
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

HawgG

Quote from: hawgsav1 on November 16, 2007, 07:29:15 pm
ok, I don't think is a bad team.  This is a team that is NOT playing up to it's potential...We will struggle speeding it up...and until Pelphrey gets them handling the ball correctly, they won't be as effective on offense...

THe good coaches adjust to the type of team he has and not try to force them to do something they cannot.

I'm sure with Coach Evans on staff the adjustments will be made.

Arkansas is a team that plays well in a controlled fastbreak attack, not to slow or to fast.

They are not good as a straight halfcourt team and they are not good in a hectic pace game.Somewhere in between is where they are best.

All that overhyped glorified running the coaches had the players do cannot make them into something they are not.

jschulte

Quote from: HawgG on November 16, 2007, 07:43:22 pm

THe good coaches adjust to the type of team he has and not try to force them to do something they cannot.

Arkansas is a team that plays well in a controlled fastbreak attack, not to slow or to fast.

They are not good as a straight halfcourt team and they are not good in a hectic pace game.Somewhere in between is where they are best.

All that overhyped glorified running the coaches had the players do cannot make them into something they are not.

At the same time, one of the reasons we hired Pel was to have a more exciting game.  It is hard to balance them both (wins and exciting).

HawgG

November 16, 2007, 08:06:46 pm #18 Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 08:09:02 pm by HawgG
Quote from: jschulte on November 16, 2007, 07:46:35 pm

At the same time, one of the reasons we hired Pel was to have a more exciting game.  It is hard to balance them both (wins and exciting).

I get excited about winning.

We have won two years in a row and this season should make it three in a row.

When I attended Grizzlies games last season they played an uptempo style of ball but a true fan of theirs probably wasn't to happy with the record.

SIU plays a very slow down defensive game but I bet their fans were very excited about all the success SIU had last season.

It is all about Ws. at least it suppose to be.

hawgsav1

Quote from: HawgG on November 16, 2007, 08:06:46 pm

When I attended Grizzlies games last season they played an uptempo style of ball but a true fan of theirs probably wasn't to happy with the record.

SIU plays a very slow down defensive game but I bet their fans were very excited about all the success SIU had last season.

I don't care whether we play run the fast break, uptempo, hectic, Princeton, motion, or whatever.  I care about wins.  Pelphrey is a new coach, and there are two major things he needs to do with our team.  Get them conditioned (which he has done quite nicely and they are coming along), and install an offensive system (which is still a work in progress apparently) which utilizes our depth and talent effectively...

40MINSOFHELL

hmm depth?? wow i didnt know we have depth lol

slopinhogs

you would think that by the time they were Jr's and seniors they would learn how to handle a ball and not to travel .
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

hawgsav1

Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on November 16, 2007, 08:22:34 pm
hmm depth?? wow i didnt know we have depth lol

We lack depth at guard, but we are extremely deep at our forward positions...

Razorod

College bb is about guards and guard play. Outside of Bev we don't have any. What most of us have missed on Heath is that he was not that good of a recruiter. I keep hearing that recruiting is the one thing he did well. He sure didn't recruit enough guards--especially point guards. You now see why Pel is signing as many guards as he can.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

hogninja

I read that Pel said we would see many different styles of play in this tourny.  We just met one that exposed us.  Providence was lacking their best player and is expected to do well in the ACC this year.  We may be overated now, but not that much.  Pel is the type of coach to get it done. :razorback:

chiefsfan

we just need to as fans learn to temper our expectations a little bit.  There were people predicting 15-1 SEC in here.  Which is not going to happen.  Im more worried about getting players like Beverly and Welsh and Washington adjusted to the new style of play then I am whether we win some meaningless early OOC game.     Its a shame that we lost.  But frankly this teams guards are absolutely horrible with the exception of Beverly.  And beyond that, Rakestraw is hurt and Britt is having a tough time adjusting to the speed of the game, leaving us with basically 1 backup guard for a while. 

Meaning we are going to have to deal with what Ervin gives us for a while at least...

I certainly expect an NCAA berth this year.  But these final four type posts are a tad ridiculous.  You cant suddenly win with loser players like in the movies/  And to be honest we just dont have great basketball players right now...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Harrisonhogfan

I blame the whole ESPN & AND1 era. Players these days only try to look good for the cameras not work on the fundamentals of the game.

Zero Tolerance

Well, at least he didn't start out his Razorback career 8-0 like another certain "coach" did. ;)

I see that as a good sign.
Jeff Long + John Pelphrey + Bobby Petrino = The dawning of a glorious new era in Arkansas sports

Hog are ya

Quote from: hawgsav1 on November 16, 2007, 08:18:46 pm
Quote from: HawgG on November 16, 2007, 08:06:46 pm

I don't care whether we play run the fast break, uptempo, hectic, Princeton, motion, or whatever.  I care about wins.  Pelphrey is a new coach, and there are two major things he needs to do with our team.  Get them conditioned (which he has done quite nicely and they are coming along), and install an offensive system (which is still a work in progress apparently) which utilizes our depth and talent effectively...

I agree with all you cats.  And it takes me back a little more than 20yrs when Nolan came in with his system.  That was a tough year.  Nolan actually had more talent for this system on that team.  Guys like Hutcherson, Mills, Ratliff, Rose, Irvin (though he transferred) and Lang were built more for this than most anyone we have now aside from Weems and maybe Bev.  I hope Pel is willing to sacrafise some of his commitment to the 'system' and slow down these guys some and mix it up.  Because in the right sets, playing hard like he has them, this team can do some dammage.

HawgG

Quote from: hogninja on November 17, 2007, 01:57:19 am
I read that Pel said we would see many different styles of play in this tourny.  We just met one that exposed us.  Providence was lacking their best player and is expected to do well in the ACC this year.  We may be overated now, but not that much.  Pel is the type of coach to get it done. :razorback:
The jury is still out on Providence and they play in the Big East which I'm sure you meant instead of the ACC.

BTW their fans are not very high on the HC up there and they were very surprised that he was able the out coach Pelphrey considering they were w/o Curry, and their coach isn't very good to begin with according to the fans on the website I visited.

PeytonManningSUCKS

Providence was sloppy basketball play.  Big deal, that can be turned around.  We will settle down.  It can't be that bad all year.  We're a good team.  I still believe.