Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nick Saban Under Fire

Started by hawgbawb, April 15, 2007, 08:11:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PulledPork

Quote from: rampage72501 on April 15, 2007, 02:53:22 pm
Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on April 15, 2007, 02:20:41 pm
my friend, I do not think you have any idea the ratio of quality d1 football players come out of Louisana each year compared to Arkansas.  I know that we will never know what would have happend had Nutt been at Lsu all this time and Saban was here. But i would put money on the fact that saban would not be 2-2 against Nutt. I bet he'd be 1-3 or probablly 0-4. the thing is you are comparing apples and oranges when you compare these 2 coaches b/c Sabin is a journeyman who left MSU in good shape, and LSU, which alot of coaches out there could have done, and then was offered by a struggling NFL team. pro teams hire successful NCAA coaches to sell tickets. HDN is just a Loyal Arkansas boy doing the best he can with what he's got.  Nutt could do every bit as good, if not better at a place like Miami Dolphins, but he may not get the chance b/c he's coaching in a location where he probabally won't have a chance to win an NC, but dang he got close

Are you getting your talking points from Frank Broyles or Rick Schaffer?  Golly gee, we're just little ole Arkansas and can't do any better.  We should kiss the ground that Houston Nutt walks on and just be thankful that he continues to bless us by remaining the coach here.   :puke:

I will ask again, if Nutt is such a good coach, why aren't other colleges or the NFL teams beating down his door to offer him a job?  Why did Alabama hire Saban instead of Nutt?  Most of the people who have looked at the infamous phone records believe Nutt, at the very least, threw his hat into the ring for both the Miami and NC State jobs.  Why weren't either of those schools willing to give him a chance?  After all, he was the SEC coach of the year and coming off a 10 win season.  Just think, a couple of bounces the other way, and the University of Arkansas could have been playing for the National Championship.  Oh wait, just like a couple of bounces the other way and the University of Arkansas could have had 2 of those 10 wins taken away.

Your statement about "coaching in a location where he probabally (sic) won't have a chance to win a NC" is the epitome of what is wrong with many of our fans.  There is absolutely no reason the University of Arkansas can't have a program capable of competing for National Championships.  To expect or accept less is a waste of time.  Nutt has demonstrated time and time again he is incapable of getting it done, and the day he is no longer here can't come soon enough.
Nutty and his homers have dumbed these poor people down to accept what they get and be happy about it.  Kind of feel sorry for them....but not much.  NEXT!

Pulled out...

dmac_iz_kin

Quote from: rampage72501 on April 15, 2007, 02:53:22 pm
Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on April 15, 2007, 02:20:41 pm
my friend, I do not think you have any idea the ratio of quality d1 football players come out of Louisana each year compared to Arkansas.  I know that we will never know what would have happend had Nutt been at Lsu all this time and Saban was here. But i would put money on the fact that saban would not be 2-2 against Nutt. I bet he'd be 1-3 or probablly 0-4. the thing is you are comparing apples and oranges when you compare these 2 coaches b/c Sabin is a journeyman who left MSU in good shape, and LSU, which alot of coaches out there could have done, and then was offered by a struggling NFL team. pro teams hire successful NCAA coaches to sell tickets. HDN is just a Loyal Arkansas boy doing the best he can with what he's got.  Nutt could do every bit as good, if not better at a place like Miami Dolphins, but he may not get the chance b/c he's coaching in a location where he probabally won't have a chance to win an NC, but dang he got close

Are you getting your talking points from Frank Broyles or Rick Schaffer?  Golly gee, we're just little ole Arkansas and can't do any better.  We should kiss the ground that Houston Nutt walks on and just be thankful that he continues to bless us by remaining the coach here.   :puke:

I will ask again, if Nutt is such a good coach, why aren't other colleges or the NFL teams beating down his door to offer him a job?  Why did Alabama hire Saban instead of Nutt?  Most of the people who have looked at the infamous phone records believe Nutt, at the very least, threw his hat into the ring for both the Miami and NC State jobs.  Why weren't either of those schools willing to give him a chance?  After all, he was the SEC coach of the year and coming off a 10 win season.  Just think, a couple of bounces the other way, and the University of Arkansas could have been playing for the National Championship.  Oh wait, just like a couple of bounces the other way and the University of Arkansas could have had 2 of those 10 wins taken away.

Your statement about "coaching in a location where he probabally (sic) won't have a chance to win a NC" is the epitome of what is wrong with many of our fans.  There is absolutely no reason the University of Arkansas can't have a program capable of competing for National Championships.  To expect or accept less is a waste of time.  Nutt has demonstrated time and time again he is incapable of getting it done, and the day he is no longer here can't come soon enough.

yes, it is a longshot for HDN to get it done, but its a long shot for virtually any coach to get it done here.  You need to be realistic. arkansas sort of has that persona of being a redneck hill billy state. does any other program have a fan message board of 25,000 people with 24950 blasting the HC every chance they get after he just won 10 games? after he was barely beat and beat by tragic punt returner error by eventual National champs? I'm not trying to say even that I think HDN should remain coach after this year. I just want what everyone else wants. but i have said before the grass is not always greener and be ready for another stan heathian type of failure b/c your probabally going to get another up and comer not ready for this.
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

mword

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on April 15, 2007, 09:55:49 am
Quote from: RazorRaider on April 15, 2007, 09:47:59 am
Honestly I don't care what Saban does.  He will own Nutt's ass starting this season.

There's the correct answer...

Along with most of the coaches in the SEC.

Break & Run

other than houston nutt, nick saban is the most overrated coach in college football.  I mean, with the talent saban was given at LSWho, even Nutt could have won there!!
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

The Marmot

Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on April 15, 2007, 10:45:21 am
Quote from: BigHog396 on April 15, 2007, 09:55:26 am
Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on April 15, 2007, 09:46:52 am
Quote from: rampage72501 on April 15, 2007, 09:38:15 am
Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on April 15, 2007, 09:10:48 am
Your stats do not take into consideration a few things. Louisana produces about 100 d1 athletes per year. arkansas produces about 10. Nutt has faced Saban 4 times head to head. Nutt has won 2 of those meetings, and lost another by 3points in baton Rouge. Just based on the geographic logistics where both coaches have coached I'd say Nutt is probabally the better overall coach. Saban had a record at michigan state of 35-24-1, including nonconferece games in his 5 years. compare that to Nutts first 5 at a stronger conference.

National Championships: Saban 1  Nutt 0

SEC Championships: Saban 2  Nutt 0

NFL teams willing to hire: Saban 1  Nutt 0

College programs willing to pay enough to make the coach the highest paid coach in the country: Saban 2  Nutt 0

If Houston Nutt is a better coach than Saban, why didn't the Miami Dolphins hire him?  Why didn't Alabama hire him for less than what they are paying Saban?  It makes no logical sense that Alabama would pay more for a coach who is not as good as your boy Nutt.

You can talk about Division I prospects all day, but the bottom line is Saban has consistently gotten it done where it counts - on the scoreboard.  When Nutt wins a National Championship, we can come back to this discussion and I will give credit where it is due.  If I were you, I wouldn't be holding my breath - I know I won't be!

Thats just the thing bro. Saban won 1 NC and 2 SEC's. ok, AR has been to the SEC game at least twice under HDN, so they were in posistion to win it. They had themselves in posistion to win an NC this year if Reggie fish hadn't of dropped that punt in the frickin endzone.  I'll put it to you this way. When saban was lobbying for LSU to look at HDN as his replacement, if you'd put HDN at LSU with those instate athletes they have every year, HDN would perhaps have 2 or 3 NC's racked up right now. Just b/c HDN has not won an NC here or SECc and Saban has at LSU does not in anyway mean Saban is a better coach. based on the athletes in each state you are comparing apples to oranges.

also the NFL arguement does not mean anything. He got that job b/c he won an NC, and he won it at one of the easiest schools in the last decade to actually win one.
Why don't you compare LSU pre-Saban, and since Saban.  LSU SUCKED before he showed up and turned their program around.  In our case, we were LOADED with talent when DMW arrived, and he was able to ride that momentum for a couple of years.  After that he had Matt Jones, who single-handedly saved his job for 4 years.  Now he has DMac, who likely saved his job the last two years.

If DMW hadn't had TWO of the single most AMAZING athletes to ever step on a football field grow up in our back yard, he wouldn't be here now.  Fortunately for him, both of those guys were born and raised Hogs, otherwise they would have gone elsewhere for greener pastures.

You are right about some of the superstar players nutt has had. however you can not take them out of the equation. of course they've made HDN look a little better and of course they always wanted to be razorbacks but its that way at every other program.you cant' say "well take these guys out and hdn is nothing" the reason is ,b/c they were here, hdn recruited them put them on the field and let those play makers make plays. You can't punish hdn for having those athletes raised in his back yard.

BOTTOM LINE IS; HDN IS A BETTER HEAD FOOTBALL COACH THAT NICK SABAN. CASE CLOSED.

I try to avoid calling names on here... but this last statement shows absolute stupidity and ignorance of facts. The talent of a coach is shown in their records, and Nutt is a failure compared to Saban based on their records. You can throw the in-state talent excuse all you want, but great athletes are useless without a great coach to implement a system that utilizes their talents efficiently and WINS.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

razorsox

Quote from: rampage72501 on April 15, 2007, 08:57:59 am
Quote from: hawgbawb on April 15, 2007, 08:11:14 am
Saban is already on the defensive at BAMA because he has closed off media access to players and asst. coaches.  He has also held some closed scrimmages and limited media access to practice.

Sound familiar?

To compare Saban and Nutt is absolutely insane.

Won a National Championship: Advantage Saban

Won a SEC Championship (2, actually): Advantage Saban

Head Coach in the NFL: Advantage Saban

Never had a losing season as a head coach in college: Advantage Saban

Only one losing season as a head coach at any level: Advantage Saban

Been the highest paid coach in college football (2 separate occasions): Advantage Saban

Your stats do not take into consideration a few things. Louisana produces about 100 d1 athletes per year. arkansas produces about 10. Nutt has faced Saban 4 times head to head. Nutt has won 2 of those meetings, and lost another by 3points in baton Rouge. Just based on the geographic logistics where both coaches have coached I'd say Nutt is probabally the better overall coach. Saban had a record at michigan state of 35-24-1, including nonconferece games in his 5 years. compare that to Nutts first 5 at a stronger conference.
buddy, go take a look at LSU's records before Saban was there.  And it doesn't matter how many top recruits a state produces because it is still the job of the coach to get those players to come and Nutt certainly can't even manage to get a handful.  Saban: National Championship ; Nutt:  Maybe a BCS appearance one day
The last thing we need is a bunch of rednecks running around with McFadden Cowboy jerseys.

hogfan67

College programs willing to pay enough to make the coach the highest paid coach in the country: Saban 2  Nutt 0

If Houston Nutt is a better coach than Saban, why didn't the Miami Dolphins hire him?  Why didn't Alabama hire him for less than what they are paying Saban?  It makes no logical sense that Alabama would pay more for a coach who is not as good as your boy Nutt.

You can talk about Division I prospects all day, but the bottom line is Saban has consistently gotten it done where it counts - on the scoreboard.  When Nutt wins a National Championship, we can come back to this discussion and I will give credit where it is due.  If I were you, I wouldn't be holding my breath - I know I won't be!

Thats just the thing bro. Saban won 1 NC and 2 SEC's. ok, AR has been to the SEC game at least twice under HDN, so they were in posistion to win it. They had themselves in posistion to win an NC this year if Reggie fish hadn't of dropped that punt in the frickin endzone.  I'll put it to you this way. When saban was lobbying for LSU to look at HDN as his replacement, if you'd put HDN at LSU with those instate athletes they have every year, HDN would perhaps have 2 or 3 NC's racked up right now. Just b/c HDN has not won an NC here or SECc and Saban has at LSU does not in anyway mean Saban is a better coach. based on the athletes in each state you are comparing apples to oranges.

also the NFL arguement does not mean anything. He got that job b/c he won an NC, and he won it at one of the easiest schools in the last decade to actually win one.
Why don't you compare LSU pre-Saban, and since Saban.  LSU SUCKED before he showed up and turned their program around.  In our case, we were LOADED with talent when DMW arrived, and he was able to ride that momentum for a couple of years.  After that he had Matt Jones, who single-handedly saved his job for 4 years.  Now he has DMac, who likely saved his job the last two years.

If DMW hadn't had TWO of the single most AMAZING athletes to ever step on a football field grow up in our back yard, he wouldn't be here now.  Fortunately for him, both of those guys were born and raised Hogs, otherwise they would have gone elsewhere for greener pastures.

Wrong...  Before Saban, LSU had trouble keeping it's In-State athletes at home.  Saban was able to rally the fan base which was largely divided while Gerry DeNardo was coaching.  In addition to this, he built relationships with a lot of the high school coaches which is what Nutt and all good college coaches do.  Like Nutt, Saban is a good recruiter.  The state of Louisiana has a hell of a lot more athletes per capita than Arkansas and so does Alabama.  This has always been the problem at Arkansas.  Why do you think Broyles has gone to such great lengths to raise money to build top notch facilities?  Without those facilities, it would be impossible to recruit great players to Arkansas.  We also happen to play in the best conference in the country and have to recruit against top tier programs year in and year out.  In order for Arkansas to compete, we have to get all of the instate kids and pickup a lot of out of state kids.  Have you noticed that most of the players on the LSU roster are from Louisiana?  LSU has a lot more kids to choose from.  It's that simple...

By the way, Arkansas was not loaded with talent when McFadden arrived.  Most of the offensive talent had graduated prior to McFadden setting foot on campus.

Matt Jones came to Arkansas because Nutt and staff told him they would give him a shot at quarterback.  Jones is a great athlete, but not a great quarterback.  That's why he is playing receiver at Jacksonville.

bobetty

Bigfoot

Quote from: hog_fan_08 on April 15, 2007, 06:33:35 pm
other than houston nutt, nick saban is the most overrated coach in college football.  I mean, with the talent saban was given at LSWho, even Nutt could have won there!!

how is saban over rated? he won national title at lsu last time i checked.winning national title is using talent pretty good i'd say.but this is coming from a board full of negativity. funny stuff man, keep it up.  lol

JEM

Quote from: bigfoot on April 15, 2007, 07:52:04 pm
Quote from: hog_fan_08 on April 15, 2007, 06:33:35 pm

how is saban over rated? he won national title at lsu last time i checked.winning national title is using talent pretty good i'd say.but this is coming from a board full of negativity. funny stuff man, keep it up.  lol

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070414/SPORTS/704140358/1002

Newcoachplease

Guys...dont you know that if HDN was not coaching at poor pitiful little Arkansas...he would be the best coach ever!!! I mean...imagine Nutt at USC. He would have put that spoiled, cry baby from the north Matt Lienart in his place. He would have said listen " that reggie bush there from San Diego is special"! Norm Chow...we dont need this High school passing offense. We are going to run the ball...run run run. Gotta establish the run, gotta love the heart of Reggie Bush..he is a winner...he is a fighter!!! I dont care if Lienart was a Parade All AMerican...cancer...look at my trojan hat...i love that trojan helmet!

HITCHER

Here is the difference! Houston will find a way to screw it up! And he will again be Saban's bitch! Plain and Simple. But this time the skid marks will be Crimson and White instead of Purple and Gold!

HogsRule

Quote from: bamalee on April 15, 2007, 01:31:12 pm
THis is calling bs on the saban under fire. We Bama fans love what he is doing here since he has been here period. THe media wants info that he is not willing to give. I no of no Bama fans complaining at all about Saban.

That's funny. Its exactly what happened here. The media started getting pissed that they couldn't get their story. it wasn't long till they had the fans on board. be careful, the same thing could happen to you.
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

BigHog396

Quote from: hogfan67 on April 15, 2007, 07:35:24 pm

Why don't you compare LSU pre-Saban, and since Saban.  LSU SUCKED before he showed up and turned their program around.  In our case, we were LOADED with talent when DMW arrived, and he was able to ride that momentum for a couple of years.  After that he had Matt Jones, who singlehandedly saved his job for 4 years.  Now he has DMac, who likely saved his job the last two years.

Wrong...  Before Saban, LSU had trouble keeping it's In-State athletes at home.  Saban was able to rally the fan base which was largely divided while Gerry DeNardo was coaching.  In addition to this, he built relationships with a lot of the high school coaches which is what Nutt and all good college coaches do.  Like Nutt, Saban is a good recruiter.  The state of Louisiana has a hell of a lot more athletes per capita than Arkansas and so does Alabama.  This has always been the problem at Arkansas.  Why do you think Broyles has gone to such great lengths to raise money to build top notch facilities?  Without those facilities, it would be impossible to recruit great players to Arkansas.  We also happen to play in the best conference in the country and have to recruit against top tier programs year in and year out.  In order for Arkansas to compete, we have to get all of the instate kids and pickup a lot of out of state kids.  Have you noticed that most of the players on the LSU roster are from Louisiana?  LSU has a lot more kids to choose from.  It's that simple...

By the way, Arkansas was not loaded with talent when McFadden arrived.  Most of the offensive talent had graduated prior to McFadden setting foot on campus.

Matt Jones came to Arkansas because Nutt and staff told him they would give him a shot at quarterback.  Jones is a great athlete, but not a great quarterback.  That's why he is playing receiver at Jacksonville.
Ok, where was I wrong?  You said nothing that contradicted anything that I said.  Maybe you should try actually READING what I said.  Of course that may just be too much to ask.  It seems to be easier for most people on here to put words in another posters mouth, rather than discussing what was ACTUALLY said.

I said LSU sucked before Saban arrived, and they did.  I said Saban turned LSU around, and he did.
I didn't say anything about us having talent when McFadden arrived.  I said we were loaded with talent when DMW (ie HDN) arrived, and we were.

I said 2 of the most amazing ATHLETES we have ever seen have singlehandedly saved DMW's career, and they have.  I never said Matt was a great QB, I called him an amazing athlete.  But you may want to go back and look at his career numbers before you say he wasn't a great QB as well.

You said DMW has built relationships with state HS coaches, but it is funny that we continuously hear about how poor his relationships are with most.  One final thing... you show your complete lack of understanding by even mentioning DMW in the same breath as Saban when it comes to recruiting, or any other component of coaching college football.  Anyone that says DMW is a good recruiter obviously hasn't paid ANY attention to the lack of success we have had in recruiting over the last few years of DMW's tenure.

jfb4ever

Saban did the same thing at LSU, and won a few games, with an 8 year guaranteed contract he can tell the Bama press where to go! The press didn't affect at least 92,000!

dmac_iz_kin

Quote from: BigHog396 on April 21, 2007, 09:05:31 pm
Quote from: hogfan67 on April 15, 2007, 07:35:24 pm

Why don't you compare LSU pre-Saban, and since Saban.  LSU SUCKED before he showed up and turned their program around.  In our case, we were LOADED with talent when DMW arrived, and he was able to ride that momentum for a couple of years.  After that he had Matt Jones, who singlehandedly saved his job for 4 years.  Now he has DMac, who likely saved his job the last two years.

Ok, where was I wrong?  You said nothing that contradicted anything that I said.  Maybe you should try actually READING what I said.  Of course that may just be too much to ask.  It seems to be easier for most people on here to put words in another posters mouth, rather than discussing what was ACTUALLY said.

I said LSU sucked before Saban arrived, and they did.  I said Saban turned LSU around, and he did.
I didn't say anything about us having talent when McFadden arrived.  I said we were loaded with talent when DMW (ie HDN) arrived, and we were.

I said 2 of the most amazing ATHLETES we have ever seen have singlehandedly saved DMW's career, and they have.  I never said Matt was a great QB, I called him an amazing athlete.  But you may want to go back and look at his career numbers before you say he wasn't a great QB as well.

You said DMW has built relationships with state HS coaches, but it is funny that we continuously hear about how poor his relationships are with most.  One final thing... you show your complete lack of understanding by even mentioning DMW in the same breath as Saban when it comes to recruiting, or any other component of coaching college football.  Anyone that says DMW is a good recruiter obviously hasn't paid ANY attention to the lack of success we have had in recruiting over the last few years of DMW's tenure.

Lsu sucked before saban arrived because the coach before him was horrible. I'll put it this way. Les Miles is not that good but he's reaping the benefits of having tons of in-state talent to recruit from and put on the field. I can agree that MJ may have saved HDN's career but the fact is, MJ was there in Nutts backyard to recruit, put on the field, and give the ball too. You can't knock Nutt for turning 3 years of his career over to MJ. I dont' doubt the fact that Nutt may have burnt some highschool coaching relationships, and I don't doubt that recruiting has suffered to the point that Hdn might be on his way out and deservedly so but for the market that HDN has coached in so far he's been one of the best overall coaches that I think we could ask for
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

wincrimson

Quote from: hawgbawb on April 15, 2007, 08:11:14 am
Saban is already on the defensive at BAMA because he has closed off media access to players and asst. coaches.  He has also held some closed scrimmages and limited media access to practice.

Sound familiar?

He's always done this.  This is nothing new.

jfb4ever

P-----g off the Press is Saban's only Hobby, he coaches and recruits every other minute !

DEVICEHIGH

Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American