Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Times cartoon

Started by ghg1, April 12, 2007, 09:56:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Quote from: jameshogfan on April 13, 2007, 04:26:28 pm
Quote from: HawgWyld on April 13, 2007, 04:22:43 pm
Quote from: jameshogfan on April 13, 2007, 04:20:21 pm

I really can't believe our own paper would put that in there. It shows how bad things have gotten. I think it is pathetic.
Why? Because a newspaper in this state just won't play along and kowtow to the Athletic Department?

Hey, the cartoon wasn't all that funny and was, indeed, crude. Still, we have seen a trend over the past few months that is to be encouraged -- the media is starting to take the gloves off when it comes to Nutt.

No. I think it is pathetic because, as you said, wasn't at all funny and was indeed crude. I mean, just write an article, or post a full page ad that fans pay for. That is fine. That is reporting. But a cartoon like this is just not good business IMO. It's childish. Taking off the gloves is writing a solid article, real journalism. This cartoon is not that. It's pathetic.

Why not just run a story with the headline, "Frank Broyles f**** Houston Nutt in the a**?"

Be just about the same thing.

hogsailor

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 13, 2007, 04:14:41 pm
That cartoon might be funny if the characters were from Texas, Alabama, Tennessee, etc.

That they're from Arkansas makes it sickening...at least to a Razorback fan.

WORD...

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.
-- -- Joseph Joubert

jameshogfan

Quote from: HawgWyld on April 13, 2007, 04:31:09 pm

I really can't believe our own paper would put that in there. It shows how bad things have gotten. I think it is pathetic.
Why? Because a newspaper in this state just won't play along and kowtow to the Athletic Department?

Hey, the cartoon wasn't all that funny and was, indeed, crude. Still, we have seen a trend over the past few months that is to be encouraged -- the media is starting to take the gloves off when it comes to Nutt.

No. I think it is pathetic because, as you said, wasn't at all funny and was indeed crude. I mean, just write an article, or post a full page ad that fans pay for. That is fine. That is reporting. But a cartoon like this is just not good business IMO. It's childish. Taking off the gloves is writing a solid article, real journalism. This cartoon is not that. It's pathetic.
Again, that little cartoon that has upset you so is part of a positive trend. Newspapers, overall, seem to be getting away from the "homer" mentality and ignoring anything negative that has to do with Nutt. I'm not extolling the virtues of one crude comic, but rather looking at a general trend in Arkansas journalism.

I completely agree with you.

I agree that the media should and is pulling away from "homer" bias. Evidence is shown in the paper nearly weekly now. Everybody should encourage that and it is good practice IMO. What I am simply saying, with all that journalism trends 101 out the window, the above comic is childish and should/could be replaced with a good article painting the same picture of why Heath was fired and Nutt is still hear. Simple as that.

HawgWyld

Quote from: jameshogfan on April 13, 2007, 04:37:38 pm
I completely agree with you.

I agree that the media should and is pulling away from "homer" bias. Evidence is shown in the paper nearly weekly now. Everybody should encourage that and it is good practice IMO. What I am simply saying, with all that journalism trends 101 out the window, the above comic is childish and should/could be replaced with a good article painting the same picture of why Heath was fired and Nutt is still hear. Simple as that.
Good point and I can respect that.

kitshicker

It's called humor.
An interesting emotion, some of you should try it sometime.

RazorRaider

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 13, 2007, 04:36:28 pm

Why not just run a story with the headline, "Frank Broyles f**** Houston Nutt in the a**?"

If it will get Nutt canned then bring it on.
Quote from: LA HAWG on January 18, 2007, 08:00:42 am
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

How many times do we need to post this stuff?

dowils

Quote from: kitshicker on April 13, 2007, 04:40:19 pm
It's called humor.

Its called horrible taste, like going to a funeral and kicking the widow and saying you were trying to be funny.  Its distasteful and not funny at all.

growbaby

WilsonHog

Quote from: RazorRaider on April 13, 2007, 04:41:00 pm

You know, I wanted Nutt to leave when the Nebraska job came open.

I wanted him to take the LSU job.

I wanted him to take ANY job last year.

I wanted him to be fired earlier this spring.

The admins and mods can testify that I am no Houston Nutt fan. I certainly hope that he gets another job in December and leaves the state.

But I have to admit that when I witness all of the hysteria around here, part of me hopes Nutt stays five more years just to stick it in the faces of the more hysterical ones.

jameshogfan

April 13, 2007, 04:47:40 pm #159 Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 04:54:15 pm by jameshogfan
It's called humor.

Will Farrell on ice skates is humor. The man hands episode on Seinfield is humor. HDN tripping when he runs out of the tunnel would be humor. DeviceHighs stuff is humor.

This cartoon is not humorous. It is actually sad and makes the program look bad to have something like that in the paper.

Let me guess... you think those videos of kids kicking the crap out of homeless people is funny??

If so, that is not my type of humor. This falls in that category.

You know what it is... .it is reaching. Reaching hard.

It reminds me of situations you see on TV and in person quite often. You have a group of people, one person telling a one-liner, then another, then another, then another, the entire crowd is rolling... again again, tell another!! So the person keeps telling the one liners, it is inevitable the will say something offensive or they will run out of stuff to say, so they reach and throw something out there hoping to keep the group of people happy and laughing... and it turns to complete silence because they have just crossed the line.

That right there is what the paper did with this cartoon IMO.

dowils

Quote from: jameshogfan on April 13, 2007, 04:47:40 pm
It's called humor.

Will Farrell in ice skates is humor. The man hands episode on Seinfield is humor. HDN tripping when he runs out of the tunnel would be humor. DeviceHighs stuff is humor.

This cartoon is not humorous. It is actually sad and makes the program look bad to have something like that in the paper.

EXACTLY

hawgfandude

Very poor taste.  But sadly, so true.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: dowils on April 13, 2007, 04:41:55 pm
It's called humor.

Its called horrible taste, like going to a funeral and kicking the widow and saying you were trying to be funny.  Its distasteful and not funny at all.

Is Frank or Houston the widow?  Because that would be funny.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

RazorRaider

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 13, 2007, 04:47:31 pm

The admins and mods can testify that I am no Houston Nutt fan. I certainly hope that he gets another job in December and leaves the state.

But I have to admit that when I witness all of the hysteria around here, part of me hopes Nutt stays five more years just to stick it in the faces of the more hysterical ones.

Then you obviously no longer care about whether we win or lose anymore.
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

hawaiianhogster

I liked it and the one where Frank and Nutt were lip locking it. Kinda made me throw up at the same time I LMAO.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hawaiianhogster on April 13, 2007, 05:23:24 pm
I liked it and the one where Frank and Nutt were lip locking it. Kinda made me throw up at the same time I LMAO.

I just wonder what music they have playing on the hi-fi.  Would Frank go for Barry White, or maybe Tom Jones.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hawaiianhogster

Quote from: RazorRaider on April 13, 2007, 05:12:15 pm

Then you obviously no longer care about whether we win or lose anymore.

It's beyond winning and losing. It's the integrity of the program at stake. You'll see as soon as the football season starts. Oh yea If I had a choice of picking a coach that could do more with less like a used car salesman or a coach that makes the best players better I would choose the second one. Nutt it's time to sell somwhere else.

silvertip

Quote from: VenturaHog on April 13, 2007, 12:29:15 am
I see HDN and the mafia as the scummy side and the side calling for his job the good side. I hate crap like this because it is making the darksiders all look like creeps trying to wage a character assassination war on HDN. His record and public antics are grounds enough for removal, not to mention losing gus mitch damian etc...

That is what should be focused on, not this garbage.

It's called SATIRE, which is one of the most powerful tools in any political fight.

This cartoon is so hilarious because it addresses so many of the issues in the current conflict---and captures the feelings of so many Hawg fans.

One of the best political cartoons I've ever seen. Totally, deliciously in such poor taste---just the tone that the subject desrves.  WPS!!

LyonHog

It's called humor.

Will Farrell on ice skates is humor. The man hands episode on Seinfield is humor. HDN tripping when he runs out of the tunnel would be humor. DeviceHighs stuff is humor.

Let me guess... you think those videos of kids kicking the crap out of homeless people is funny??

It reminds me of situations you see on TV and in person quite often. You have a group of people, one person telling a one-liner, then another, then another, then another, the entire crowd is rolling... again again, tell another!! So the person keeps telling the one liners, it is inevitable the will say something offensive or they will run out of stuff to say, so they reach and throw something out there hoping to keep the group of people happy and laughing... and it turns to complete silence because they have just crossed the line.

So insulting President Bush for anything is off limits?  Please people.  I laugh at the President Bush cartoons (I republican).  Its a joke, lets laugh.  Go listen to Richard Pryor or Bryan Reagon or something.

Hogblog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 13, 2007, 05:25:37 pm
Quote from: hawaiianhogster on April 13, 2007, 05:23:24 pm

I just wonder what music they have playing on the hi-fi.  Would Frank go for Barry White, or maybe Tom Jones.

Banjo.....of course.........

jameshogfan

Quote from: LyonHog on April 13, 2007, 05:35:54 pm
It's called humor.

So insulting President Bush for anything is off limits?  Please people.  I laugh at the President Bush cartoons (I republican).  Its a joke, lets laugh.  Go listen to Richard Pryor or Bryan Reagon or something.

I laugh at those too. I love win Will Farrell did Bush on SNL. I laugh at DeviceHigh's stuff about Heath, Nutt Herring etc...

This was in bad taste and was reaching. This wasn't funny to me. Sorry-

silvertip

It's called humor.

Well, you're wrong. That cartoon is brilliant, hilarious satire. The fact that it is in such poor taste is part of the satire. Because the topic it addresses is so disgusting.

You want to see some REALLY tasteless "humor"? Check with Teresa & Diana. Those girls' sense of humor is really disturbing.

007 License To Squeal

Sounds like you're becoming a Nutt fan instead of a Razorback fan...Sad.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

RazorRaider

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on April 13, 2007, 05:45:05 pm

Either that or he has became apathetic towards football.
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

silvertip

Link ?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: silvertip on April 13, 2007, 05:42:34 pm
It's called humor.

Well, you're wrong. That cartoon is brilliant, hilarious satire. The fact that it is in such poor taste is part of the satire. Because the topic it addresses is so disgusting.

You want to see some REALLY tasteless "humor"? Check with Teresa & Diana. Those girls' sense of humor is really disturbing.

Thank you Silvertip.  Although I've always felt that if you have to explain to some people then it loses some of it's bite.  Also the people you are splaining it to, will just not get it.

mword

VenturaHog

Quote from: RazorRaider on April 13, 2007, 05:45:59 pm

You all know that's not true, he just disagress with the lack of class of people on his side if I understand him right, and I have to agree. I would sooner be good friends with a person of character and class any day than an ignorant jerk, regardless of beliefs. I will always root for the side that is unfairly oppressed, its part of beinga hog fan to have that underdog mentality. When I see the unnescessarry personal attacks on HDN I find myself bristling up for him and the huggers. Hell thats part of what endeared me to Gus and springdale crew, how raw a deal they got. All of this doesn't mean I'm a hugger, I just want to have nothing to do with classless meatheads.

RazorRaider

Quote from: VenturaHog on April 13, 2007, 06:11:07 pm

You all know that's not true, he just disagress with the lack of class of people on his side if I understand him right, and I have to agree. I would sooner be good friends with a person of character and class any day than an ignorant jerk, regardless of beliefs. I will always root for the side that is unfairly oppressed, its part of beinga hog fan to have that underdog mentality. When I see the unnescessarry personal attacks on HDN I find myself bristling up for him and the huggers. Hell thats part of what endeared me to Gus and springdale crew, how raw a deal they got. All of this doesn't mean I'm a hugger, I just want to have nothing to do with classless meatheads.

Nutt is a classless meathead.
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

VenturaHog

Quote from: RazorRaider on April 13, 2007, 06:12:07 pm
Quote from: VenturaHog on April 13, 2007, 06:11:07 pm

Nutt is a classless meathead.

zing, point taken

JadedHog

well, i want houston gone but i think that is a pretty tackey cartoon..............not funny at all

silvertip

Quote from: JadedHog on April 13, 2007, 06:18:54 pm
well, i want houston gone but i think that is a pretty tackey cartoon..............not funny at all

Just curious about your sense of humor---do you share Diana's opinion that Teresa's diatribe was "funny" ?

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: silvertip on April 13, 2007, 05:42:34 pm
It's called humor.

How can you determine that his opinion is wrong?  I have the same opinion, and I assure you that I am not wrong, because it is my thoughts/feelings and opinion.  You  have a different opinion, but you are not wrong for that opinion. 

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: silvertip on April 13, 2007, 06:31:43 pm

Just curious about your sense of humor---do you share Diana's opinion that Teresa's diatribe was "funny" ?

I will give you my answer...No...I didn't think that Diana's opinion was funny. It sickened me to hear that she thought it was funny.  Just like this cartoon sickened me.  I didn't think either one of them was funny.  That is my opinion on the matter.

silvertip

Quote from: WestMemphisHogFan on April 13, 2007, 06:36:33 pm

I will give you my answer...No...I didn't think that Diana's opinion was funny. It sickened me to hear that she thought it was funny.  Just like this cartoon sickened me.  I didn't think either one of them was funny.  That is my opinion on the matter.

Well, when dealing with satire, whether one thinks it's funny often depends on which side of the conflict you are on. No doubt most huggers don't think it's funny, while most darksiders think it's hilarious.

The same principle applies with Teresa's diatribe---which bashed Gus & all the S'dale players. No doubt Diana thought it was "funny" because her household harbored serious hostility toward Gus, his players, and the people of S'dale who supported them.

As far as the quality of the humor, the cartoon is better executed and much classier than Teresa's efforts. As well as much more in tune with the majority of Hog fans.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: silvertip on April 13, 2007, 07:04:55 pm

Well, when dealing with satire, whether one thinks it's funny often depends on which side of the conflict you are on. No doubt most huggers don't think it's funny, while most darksiders think it's hilarious.

The same principle applies with Teresa's diatribe---which bashed Gus & all the S'dale players. No doubt Diana thought it was "funny" because her household harbored serious hostility toward Gus, his players, and the people of S'dale who supported them.

As far as the quality of the humor, the cartoon is better executed and much classier than Teresa's efforts. As well as much more in tune with the majority of Hog fans.

I'd hate to think of their reaction if they ever read A Modest Proposal.

T-hawg

That is awesome. Now I got to change my pants.

GHG
I'ts Diamond Hog time YALL!

Time for some crawfish and tailgating!

BennyBlancofromtheRock

April 13, 2007, 07:38:58 pm #187 Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 07:41:10 pm by BennyBlancofromtheRock
holy crap...that is awesome!

I can't believe they go away with that.

I guess Franks power really is gone no way they would have had the guts to take so open a shot at him two years ago.

EDIT...I just realized it was the Arkansas Times at first glance I thought it was NWA Times (don't know why) Arkansas Times didn't need guts to print this they have absolutely nothing to lose.

BennyBlancofromtheRock

Quote from: silvertip on April 13, 2007, 07:04:55 pm

I'm not sure TP's e-mail can be classified as satire....unless it was a satire of childish angst.

texashog2002

Big_D

For all the HDN and JFB supporters you really need to ask yourself these questions. Do you really think the majority of fans still back the dynamic duo? If they really did do you think one of the largest magazine's in the state would have ever run this?  Can you ever in your wildest dreams picture this happening to Frank 20 years ago?

This just shows you that they know he has slid completely off the map in this state with the fans.........

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: Big_D on April 13, 2007, 08:41:51 pm
For all the HDN and JFB supporters you really need to ask yourself these questions. Do you really think the majority of fans still back the dynamic duo? If they really did do you think one of the largest magazine's in the state would have ever run this?  Can you ever in your wildest dreams picture this happening to Frank 20 years ago?

This just shows you that they know he has slid completely off the map in this state with the fans.........

I am glad JFB is leaving, and I am ready for a change in the football HC position.  No, I do not believe this would have happened to Frank 20 years ago. Nonetheless, I still feel the cartoon was out of line, tasteless, and uncalled for.

Dugann

By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

bphi11ips

Quote from: VenturaHog on April 12, 2007, 10:03:07 pm
that last part crosses the line for me, the first part was plenty good

I'm not easily offended but this is about right fow me.  Great until the last frame.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

holtzhog

superjw

The Law of Insanity is this - doing things the same way and expecting different results.

dakpowers

hawaiianhogster

I'm laughing out loud again.

sharks89

Quote from: Immensehog on April 12, 2007, 10:21:21 pm
Judge Renquist's opinion stated that satire was protected speech because it is normally such a ridiculous scenario that noone in their right mind could possibly think it was possible.

This may not qualify as satire.

You may be more correct than you know,...

Look what fell out of Orval's briefcase,...  ;)

Go Hogs!