Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Altman turned down Tennessee, Illinois, etc

Started by FayettenamVeteran, April 02, 2007, 04:43:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FayettenamVeteran

Maybe I'm ignorant on this.  However, I can't believe that Altman truly turned down Tennessee, Illinois and any other of the supposed offers he had. 

So, can any of you touting his turning down this jobs, offer up "proof"?  Links to articles on the internet will suffice. 

I figure that Altman's "turning down" these jobs is equal to Joe Blow Football Stud at Little Rock Central having Ole Miss, Tennessee, LSU, Texas, USC, Arkansas listed as their top schools and they end up going to UAM.  And no one ever follows up on what happened to the big schools. 

SexyBeast77

This is spin. They turned they wanted to talk to him about those jobs into he turned those jobs down.
I imagine he wanted more money and more years and thus didn't even talk to them and thus wasn't "offered" the job.
I also agree that this is like Jimmy Sexton floating that the Cowboys and USC and everybody else
are hot for Dale!

The real Hogules

Maybe those other schools didn't give Altman 1.5 MILLION reasons to love their gym shorts.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

wtaymore

April 02, 2007, 04:49:58 pm #3 Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 04:51:38 pm by wtaymore
A quick Google search brought up this article.

"The loyal leader was being swooned by big-time programs once again. It is not an uncommon practice around Creighton. Two orange-clad universities previously made serious overtures toward Altman. The father of Creighton basketball's family shot down both Illinois and Tennessee. In years past, Georgia, Miami (FL), Penn State, Minnesota, and Iowa State each attempted seduction of the currently unmoving coach."

http://www.bracketography.com/archive/force-2007-14-danaaltman.html

edit: More articles.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/champweek2007/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=2787827

ifghog

You guys blow my mind! Talk about not being fans! Wow. Who knows how he will do. Defintly better than Stan. Get over yourself and support the razorbacks!

501Ben

I haven't heard Illinois. I think received interest from Tennessee, but he did turn down Iowa, Georgia, and Miami for sure. So, it's not a great list, but at least he has something.

Soooie21

I have read that he also wanted to stay close to his parents and I believe his wifes parents also...

Winner

Sounds like he liked Creighton.  I suspect those other schools didn't offer his AD as well.

hawkeyefan17

He never turned down Iowa. he wanted the Iowa job and Iowa didn't come calling so he took the Arkansas job.

Even in the past he has never turned Iowa down. Back when Dr. Tom Davis was let go at Iowa, former Iowa athletic director Bob Bowlsby, zeroed in on Steve Alford pretty much from the start.

Richard_white

Houston turned down Nebraska.  Doesn't mean anything.

FayettenamVeteran

Quote from: tobs54 on April 02, 2007, 04:53:15 pm
Here's a couple: 

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=1370625&u_rnd=3110589

http://www.tennessean.com/sports/ut/archives/05/03/67288771.shtml?Element_ID=67288771

Altman withdrew his name.  Neither article said that he was offered.  Both mention that Bruce Pearl was a leading candidate.  Common practice for a coach who knows he won't get the call to withdraw his name.  

Just as I suspected.  

coachp

Alford owned his a** while they were in the Valley.  Alford went to a sweet 16 and Altman never did.  See how it worked for Alford in the Big 10.

SidApollo

Quote from: coachp on April 02, 2007, 08:01:46 pm
Alford owned his a** while they were in the Valley.  Alford went to a sweet 16 and Altman never did.  See how it worked for Alford in the Big 10.

Alford didn't own Altman's a** while they were both in the Valley. In 1998-99, when Alford led the Bears to the Sweet 16 in his final year there, Creighton was 3-0 against SW Missouri State (now just called Missouri State)...

Get your facts right.

IcEwalker

Quote from: ifghog on April 02, 2007, 04:50:15 pm
You guys blow my mind! Talk about not being fans! Wow. Who knows how he will do. Defintly better than Stan. Get over yourself and support the razorbacks!

what he said

toshortrock

fellows give the guy a chance and quit looking for reasons to cry about something
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

wooo

I used to date pretty girls when I was in highschool

-do you think more highly of me now?

:)

hview

joe_mayo

Quote from: FayettenamVeteran on April 02, 2007, 04:43:19 pm
Maybe I'm ignorant on this.  However, I can't believe that Altman truly turned down Tennessee, Illinois and any other of the supposed offers he had. 

So, can any of you touting his turning down this jobs, offer up "proof"?  Links to articles on the internet will suffice. 

I figure that Altman's "turning down" these jobs is equal to Joe Blow Football Stud at Little Rock Central having Ole Miss, Tennessee, LSU, Texas, USC, Arkansas listed as their top schools and they end up going to UAM.  And no one ever follows up on what happened to the big schools. 

Altman wasn't offered by Tennessee...  he was on the list and was contacted but never made their short list.  Pearl, Mike Anderson and one other guy... but not Altman

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: FayettenamVeteran on April 02, 2007, 06:32:15 pm
Here's a couple: 

http://www.tennessean.com/sports/ut/archives/05/03/67288771.shtml?Element_ID=67288771

Altman withdrew his name.  Neither article said that he was offered.  Both mention that Bruce Pearl was a leading candidate.  Common practice for a coach who knows he won't get the call to withdraw his name.  

Just as I suspected.  

I don't  know what point you are trying to make, but obviously we are reading different things.  It is obvious to me that Dana Altman has been pursued by several different colleges, but he chose to stay with creighton...until today.  You asked for links/sources, people have provided them.  Good enough for me.

It is not his fault that he was asked to become our coach.  Why can't people be angry at the admins without feeling the need to attack Dana?

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: toshortrock on April 02, 2007, 09:38:01 pm
fellows give the guy a chance and quit looking for reasons to cry about something

I agree.  It's getting embarrassing, and ridiculous.  No wonder the national media have begun to attack our fan base.  Absolutley unbelievable...and sickening

TransAmHawg

getting kind of picky aren't we?

Frank is 83 to him this is a young guy with very little experience. 
  Altman said in the presser that he wanted to find a program that he could finish his career at.

HE'S NOT STAN HEATH!!!  +100
It'll Shine When it Shines

Ol Frank has finally $h!t in his own lunch box!!!

"I hope they all keep smiling and taking the arse pounding that we are dishing out..
  It's their choice to bite the pillow or look over their shoulder lovingly.
  Either way we're on top..!"   
                             4windshawg

Pork Twain

Arkansas fans are getting to be pretty high and mighty.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

zhog

ESPN said Altman wanted the Iowa job but settled with Arkansas instead. Just wondering if this is true?

PigSue-E

Altman will not retire from Ark.  He won't last that long.

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: PigSue-E on April 02, 2007, 10:54:12 pm

I disagree...even though you are entitled to your opinion.  I believe he is going to get our program back to greatness. 

snag

Quote from: wooo on April 02, 2007, 09:57:09 pm
I used to date pretty girls when I was in highschool

-do you think more highly of me now?

:)

Well...yeah, I do.

michaelkmcneil

Hey hogs, Omahan & Creighton fan here.  Over the years Dana has been in the running for jobs at New Mexico, Illinois, Tennessee, Georgia, and some others.  I don't remember what happened with all of them exactly, but I am pretty sure I know why he didn't end up at Tennessee or Illinois.  With Tennessee, Altman pretty much finished 2nd to Bruce Pearl.  Tennessee had it down to Pearl & Altman for a while, and decided to offer Pearl.  With Illinois, Altman was their first choice.  Weber was their second choice.  Illinois wanted to hire Altman, and Altman only.  Dana wanted to bring his entire staff.  That led Illinois to Weber. 

plastered11

I believe our last hire from Creighton turned out pretty well.

rude1

Quote from: tobs54 on April 02, 2007, 04:56:54 pm
Another saying he was considered for GA in 2003:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney03/columnist?id=1534563&name=katz_andy
Wasn't Georgia being put on probation for the mess Herrick left? If so what makes that offer so special?

TransAmHawg

Quote from: michaelkmcneil on April 02, 2007, 11:11:45 pm
Hey hogs, Omahan & Creighton fan here.  Over the years Dana has been in the running for jobs at New Mexico, Illinois, Tennessee, Georgia, and some others.  I don't remember what happened with all of them exactly, but I am pretty sure I know why he didn't end up at Tennessee or Illinois.  With Tennessee, Altman pretty much finished 2nd to Bruce Pearl.  Tennessee had it down to Pearl & Altman for a while, and decided to offer Pearl.  With Illinois, Altman was their first choice.  Weber was their second choice.  Illinois wanted to hire Altman, and Altman only.  Dana wanted to bring his entire staff.  That led Illinois to Weber. 

We know he's a good coach and we will do great with him. You have to understand that we have the most screwed up AD and Football coaches on the planet. We been stuck in a groundhog Day situation for along time with Grandpa Frank and his Mini-me clone Houston Dale"The Dork" Nutt. We are as gun shy of anything they do as Bin Laden in Brooklyn on a Saturday night. We have been bent over by our AD so many times with the Dork that we have no faith in anything that happens. Like any program we have a few loco fans that aren't happy with anything.
  Thanks for the good coach that's here now. We'll take good care of him. Sorry you lost yours but he's going to do great and we'll not forget where he came from.
It'll Shine When it Shines

Ol Frank has finally $h!t in his own lunch box!!!

"I hope they all keep smiling and taking the arse pounding that we are dishing out..
  It's their choice to bite the pillow or look over their shoulder lovingly.
  Either way we're on top..!"   
                             4windshawg

Bigfoot

Quote from: FayettenamVeteran on April 02, 2007, 04:43:19 pm

rick schaffer said he turned those schools down! that is enough for me! rick said it, its true boys and girls

PowderedToastMan

Quote from: PigSue-E on April 02, 2007, 10:54:12 pm

I love the positive attitude from our fans!  Guys, get over it, it is done.  If we aren't improving next year, then you have every right to go after the guy.  Until then, you don't know how its going to turn out.  Give him his fair shot.
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

FayettenamVeteran

Quote from: WestMemphisHogFan on April 02, 2007, 10:17:10 pm
Here's a couple: 

Just as I suspected.  

I don't  know what point you are trying to make

The point is, Rick Schaeffer and some on this board have said that Altman has turned down all of these other jobs in the past.  Fact is, he was considered for these other jobs but never officially offered and never officially turned them down. 

The spin doctors are making stretches with the truth to make this hire more palletable to the fan base. 

razorbear

Quote from: ifghog on April 02, 2007, 04:50:15 pm

Ditto!  Until proven otherwise, Altman is the next great Coach of Razorback Hoops.  He has the track record and if Arkansas is the program we think it is he should be able to take this mid-size sedan back to sports car reputation.
Brutha, you got to get real!

DrSwineESQ

Good grief, I read some of the garbage posted by our "fans" and I wonder why anyone would want to come here.  After nearly 4 decades of being a hog fan, I had no idea there were so many pathetic whining babies in our fan base.   

dotnet

I understand your point, but I don't think you can fairly make it... which might be unfair. 

Most schools don't go balls to the wall and get humiliated like we did for BG.  You're unlikely to find many articles that say "Tennessee got turned down by these three coaches."  Almost every article is going to allow the school to save face and put every coach in the "also considered category."  This way, the rejected coaches can say they didn't want the job and the school can say they didn't want the coach. 

Example: Calipari.  He says that he isn't interested, and we say that we never offered him the job... only considered him or "asked him for his opinion." 

To say the school wanted or didn't want him at this stage would be really hard to do.  How about we call it even and say the schools found him as an attractive coach?

BUCCANEER FAN

April 03, 2007, 11:45:01 am #39 Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 02:31:34 pm by BUCCANEER FAN
He obviously couldnt deal with arkansas either

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on April 03, 2007, 11:54:47 am
Quote from: WestMemphisHogFan on April 02, 2007, 10:17:10 pm
Here's a couple: 

Just as I suspected.  

I don't  know what point you are trying to make, but obviously we are reading different things.  It is obvious to me that Dana Altman has been pursued by several different colleges, but he chose to stay with creighton...until today.  You asked for links/sources, people have provided them.  Good enough for me.

It is not his fault that he was asked to become our coach.  Why can't people be angry at the admins without feeling the need to attack Dana?

I'm not sure how this is an attack on Dana Altman.  To me, at least primarily, it's more of an attack on the media than anything else.

Fresh, excuse me, Mid Major...two  things come to mind.  #1 My comments weren't just to Fayettenamveteran when I made the "attack" comment.  #2 If you don't think some are attacking Dana, then we are just "reading" in different circles.  It has been ALL OVER message boards.  People making negative comments about a coach who hasn't even oversaw his first practice yet.  Non-sense, IMO.

PigSue-E

I guess there's really no need to tell you I told you so at this point eh?