Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Official "I Support Dana Altman as HC" thread

Started by dakpowers, April 02, 2007, 10:52:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorpimp

Very good hire.  This guy can outcoach anyone and can recruit.....if people would go do a little research on their own then maybe they could make well informed, logical conclusions.

It just goes to show a high percentage of fans in this state are "only watch Razorback sports" and get the rest of their information from messageboards or ESPN.....

elksnort

STRILE

Stan Heath, the sequel.  Another unproven mid major coach.  I am really impressed.
"Strile is critical to Hogville.  He accounts for 0.00077% of all posts"  anonymous moderator

longtimeHogfan

I supported Dale for 6 years and Stan for 5.  I stand ready to support our new BB coach.  Good Luck and hang some banners in BWA!!  Welcome!!
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

longtimeHogfan

I supported Dale for 6 years and Stan for 5.  I stand ready to support our new BB coach.  Good Luck and hang some banners in BWA!!  Welcome!!
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Captain Pork

Count me in, I am a Razorback fan first. I do think this is a good hire. He sounds like a coach that is hungry to move to the next level & he feels that this is his best chance. I look forward to next season!

alltimeqb

First post here.  I usually just read, but I have to say this might just be what we need.  Do you want to see excitment in the fan base? Do you want to see exciting basketball? How about an enthusiastic coach? Here you go...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GcgIPKeMO5A

1hogfan

He gets my vote of confidence! Welcome to the Hog family!

HoginIllinois

maniax22bolts20

Quote from: McDuck on April 02, 2007, 02:14:12 pm
Quote from: Sanctified Swine on April 02, 2007, 11:50:04 am
Altman is a solid coach, no matter how you look at it. He is consistant, develops players well, and is big on fundamentals. He loves to use the three. Has a spectacular repoir with the community he is in. Creighton basketball has been selling out games for a long time now. So, he gets people in the seats. I read an article somewhere this year on his ability to get people to games.

The problem for most Hog fans with this hire is that Dana is not a "sexy" pick. We love "characters". Eddie and Nolan were a riot in themselves. Imposing, brooding, flamboyant types, who were as much a part of the story as the game itself. We love a little flash don't we? That's the enamor with Anthony Grant, sharp good-looking, aggressive. While we have hated Calipari for years, a lot of got excited at the prospect...he is a little dangerous and we like that thrill. We like those slick. smooth tongued guys who have a flair. Helps with recruiting, I suppose. Tame, layed back guys don't seem to inspire us a whole lot. Lute Olson, John Wooden types would have died in Fayetteville

Dana has goody goody looks, and doesn't inspire danger. He won't rant and rave like Bruce Pearl and get the whole place wound up. He won't ever be the good imposing young looking black man or the slicked back smooth talking white guy. He will be Dana Altman, consistant, experienced, and respected. He coaches a good game. If the fans get behind him, recruits and players will see that and want to play here. If we don't, then they will see that to and go elsewhere.

Guys at this point, some of this is on us. We cannot change yesterday, but we can learn from it. I say we support this new era and get behind this proven coach and send a message to our recruits and players that Arkansas is going to be great place to play basketball. You will have a good coach and great fans. By the way, I really believe that some coaches (not all- some guys will always be what they are)  can go from good to great when put in the right environment of support. Here to hoping that this is the place that we see Dana go from being a really good coach to a great coach.

I'm OUt

Well said.
He certainly isn't the coach I had dreams of coming in here.  But I haven't seen anything bad about this guy.  He apparently is the only coach around that wanted this job.  For that I am grateful and will cheer him on.  He likes fundamentals.  I like fundamentals.  We have something in common. 
Dana come on down.  Let's make some history.  GO HOGS! Beat Memphis and A & M.
Sanctified Swine has the best post of the day and McDuck backs him up well. Good job you two.
Keys there fundamentals,hustle,execution,teamwork= Razorback wins.

dakpowers

To everyone who posted here (well, most of you), thank you for staying civil. I thought for sure that everyone would be against me on this and prove the ESPN writers right about us (frothing, dysfunctional, hysterical fanbase, etc). This gives me a lot of hope about the future, and it should for everyone here, as well.

kmoore

Quote from: hogfan30 on April 02, 2007, 11:17:27 am
I'm in.

Support a coach for once!  Novel idea in Arkansas.
Support a coach on this site is a novel idea.
GO HOGS!!!!!

LL COOL HOG

Ok....I'm upset today.  Hopefully Im wrong. I want Dana to kick some sec butt.

SPAL

woujldnt have been in my top 5, but he is the hire they made...he is no nutt, he hasnt done anything wrong.....i am in 100 %support.

WestMemphisHogFan

Count me in!  I support Dana, and believe that he will do a great job.  Welcome Coach to you and your family!  WPS!

Greyhands

Dugann

good luck attentends ...the reason we fired stan according to frank...yea right will continue to drop and we'll be looking for another coach in 3-4 years after crappy season.  yep great freakin day.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

bd93

I support him and I hope that Beverly stays!!!

bsee1991

This is the most idiotic hire available.  My K state friends are lughing at me..."glad to see you got mr mid major".  (you know K state ran this guy off)  13 years at CREIGHTON!!  Who the hell stays 13 years at CREIGHTON??This is a total and complete unmitigated joke!  Fire a mid major guy with 21 wins and all 5 starters returning for this guy.  I dont think Stan heath is a great coach, and I dont think he ever will be.  But, I would take this team next year WITH beverly and ME coaching, and play against it without Beverly and ANYONE else coaching....I WIN  At least with Stan staying you knew Beverly was going to stay....the only player on the team that played with heart EVERY SINGLE GAME

The point is,  knuckle head Broyles should have had ink on a contract before firing heath...But instead we get another mid major coach....

Broyles has completley lost his mind.  Only eight teams have  more sweet sixteen apperances  than us, only eight more NCAA tourney wins..10th winningest team in the 90s (we were first for the first eight years).and we get a retread from Creighton (that we paid a lot more money than the last guy we had). 

The good news for me today is that I saved a whole bunch of money...because as of today my chekbook is closed...the donations are cutoff!  After the fiasco at the end of the football season and then now this..

NWA Porker

I'm on board.  I was pissed at first but I realize I'm mad at Frank and not at Altman.  He chose to be a Hog, I think he'll run uptempo here with a tough defense, and he is active on the sidelines.  I just hope he can recruit.  As I said, I'm on the bandwagon until he gives me a reason to get off.

:razorback: Welcome Coach Altman  :razorback:

redbarn

Don't know what kind of coach he will be be for Arkansas but I will support him until I find out.  I hope he beats Kansas next year in the first round of the dance and A & M in the second.  I can guarantee you this, if he comes on strong for Arkansas and we win the SEC and win some games in the dance , then he will have his fanbase and deservedly so.
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

countryboy_ar1

i was not happy at first with this hire,,, but the more i learn about our new coach the more i like him... i am now looking forward to next years basketball season... i wish him all the luck
HE IS NOW OUR COACH.... SO LETS SUPPORT HIM AND MAKE SOME NOISE

GotPig?

I was definitely wanting that "wow" factor associated with a big name at first, too, but I am definitely going to support Coach Altman for the following reasons:

1.  Root Hog or Die
2.  I understand he plays and up-tempo style that is more akin to Hawgball
3.  He is not an "up and comer."  He is an established winner.
4.  He's obviously not too shabby at recruiting if he can get two Rivals Top 150s to Creighton.  First recruiting challenge--keep Beverly and Bush; bonus points for bringing that 4-star recruit with him.
5.  He wants to be here---apparently did not have to coax and prod him with a giant pot-o-gold.
6.  Everything seems to indicate he's well-respected in the coaching community.
7.  A friend told me he turned down some other high-profile jobs in the past (can you guys remind which ones?)
8.  The MVC is not a laughable conference--becoming legitimate.  If he can get Creighton ranked in the Top 20, Holy Moley, what can he do here?
9.  I think everyone deserves a fair shake.
10.  I refuse to believe our entire Athletic Dept is a bunch of idiots (I promise, guys, it won't hurt my feelings when you thrash me for this one.   :P)
11.  The last time we got a coach from Creighton, things turned out pretty darned good. . .

Oh, and
12.  Root Hog or Die.

Let's go Razorback Family and let's go Coach Altman!

fshog

Glad to have Coach Altman. I think he will do a great job.

dchogfanindc

Quote from: TX HOG on April 02, 2007, 11:18:48 am
He's our coach, he wants to be our coach.  Let's give him a chance to win before we ridicule him too much. 

Yeah, but he was our sixth choice to be the coach.

sooieet

hawgdog2005

not happy with the hire even more unhappy with the stan fire.  oh well just have to sit back and see.  In the mean time while we wait FIRE HDN now

countryboy_ar1

i also think with pressure defense and turnovers we can get bud walton arena as loud as it was in the 90s

Arctic Hog

Found the below quote posted on a Creighton board before the 2005 season.  I thought there were a couple of interesting parallels and the now humorous comment about "fresh legs".  :D

The bench looks almost endless, and that is a good problem to have if you run the pressing, fast paced, get-up-the-floor style offense that Altman runs in Omaha. Often called "forty minutes of heck" (which parallel's former Arkansas coach Nolan Richardson's "forty minutes of hell"), fresh legs are a key to success in Altman's system.

Here's the link:  http://jaysbasketball.tripod.com/bluejaybasketball/

elkhog

Well, I haven't read through any threads but the topics seem to suggest that Dana Altman was hired?  Is this official?  If so, I'm NOT very excited.  I won't bash the guy, but I can't blindly support him either.  He will have to prove it, and I hope it doesn't take 5 yrs.
GO HOGS!!!

The Hawg Marshal

skeetmaster24

im supporting him to the fullest extent. Go Altman. Go Hogs.
Stop talking fat man!! You are a liar!!

notreseveredname

HOGansHero

Count me in...I support our coach and the Razorbacks. I do not want to be like those men on Hoosiers...the ones who tried to run the team practice etc.  Welcome Coach Altman!!!!!  ;D :razorback: ;D :razorback: ;D :razorback: ;D :razorback: ;D :razorback:

HairyHog

I'm in but I want to know who he is, and what he has planned for Razorback Basketball.

Then when he follows through with the plan, we'll support him like we did Nolan during the early years.  (Remember, some of us wondered who Nolan Richardson was)

Remember... It takes more than one SEC road victory each season to keep the fans happy. 

Welcome to Arkansas.

Razor8

Looks like we dont have much choice now - I am liking what i hear about him the more i listen or read. I will be sold if he keeps who we have and signs the right players.

WPS
Razorbacks

hawaiianhogster

I am dumbfounded about the situation. I don't know what to think. I was looking for a Donovan type but I guess the more I read about Altman the more forgiving I'm becoming. I will wait and see and hope he gets the fans excited and the players playing Arkansas BB once again.

Altman. Whatever you do. Get those boys playing like a team is supposed to. They might surprise themselves and win all their games. Teach them how to keep the tensity up for the entire game with consistency.

jamie72921

You can count me as one of the many.

That being said, he will officially become our coach at 5pm. I will support him 100% and am hoping that he will be the coach that will return us to our glory days of the 90s.

He doesn't have a game for another 9 months or so, and deserves our loyalty and support. He needs our help to keep Beverly and Welsh around here and to bring in new blood that is more in tune to his style of play.

Here is to Coach Altman, may your tenure here be long and prosperous.
Bless your heart

tobs54

+1  Great post.  Glad to see you're coming around.

GotPig?

Plus, look at it this way:

He's won as many NCAA championships as Self, Gillispie, Calipari, Majerus, Floyd and Kruger combined.  Sometimes a name does not a championship make. . .

Porkestrator

hogsNbeer

I, for one, will give him a chance...... No, it's not a Pitino.... but I will give the man a chance..... Instead of some of the hateful fans out there that want him fired before he gets here.... I support Altman......  Like always, I give all coaches 5 years...... He's on the clock, as they say in Golf....  He also should be able to win next year with 7 returning SRs..... That will be a big help, and he's inherited a team that was 10 times better than when Stan got here....... He's in good shape as far as that goes......... Go HOGS!!!!!    :razorback:

Bomis Hawg

Check to see who led the MVC in FT%.
Yep, Creighton.  That had been a thorn in the Arkansas behind for a long while under Heath.

King-Tusk

"You're talkin to my man all wrong.  It's the wrong tone.  Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Arkansas is expected to go 3-0 in the Sun Belt this season. The Hogs had only one other spot to add a Sun Belt team, but filled that nonconference spot with Division I-AA Chattanooga for War Memorial Stadium in October.

TushCrush

I feel a little better now that I've read more about him. Still feel like I been punched in the stomach, but like somebody said it's not Altmans fault.
I'm in ... 

cmakrzrbak

I'm willing to give him a shot.  Hell, it can't be as boring as Stanball.

Step 1: Getting Beverley on board.
Step 2: Put your junk... or, keeping Welsh and Washington.
Step 3: Winning 24+ next year.  There really wont be an excuse for less than this.
Step 4: Recruit a TRUE, GOOD PG with one of the seven.
Step 5: Getting solid, Top 200 prospects with the other six.

I personally think he can do it.
"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

kirk

I live up by Viola in N Central Arkansas. Where I live the only tv I could get before the era of satellite was out of Springfield, MO not LR. I have therefore kept up with SW Missouri St now Missouri State for as long as I have followed the Hogs (not a fan just informed). I'm 45 btw. Creighton is the class of the MVC and has been for years. Coach Altman is a great coach. When he has the people he reminds you of Nolan. The MVC is as gaga fo BB as the SEC for FB. They tend to knock each other off just like the teams in the SEC do. Creighton has been on top there ever since he got there. I look forward to his time here and hope he'll be here a long time.

Hog Fan from Camden

Pissed at first, now I'm in!  For better or for worse.

cunetguru

5 little pigs

Altman can stay and I'll support him as long as Frank gets outta here!!!!!!!!!!