Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Per ESPN Cal isnt coming

Started by TorsinAHog, April 01, 2007, 10:18:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TorsinAHog

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2820676

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

But I'm sure some will have more reliable sources than newspapers, etc.
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

UAfan

Where does it say Cal isn't coming?

AstroHawg

Well, this sucks.  I feel like I've been dumped twice this week.

AstroHawg

"However, Calpari told The Commercial Appeal of Memphis, Tenn., that he wasn't interested in the job and that there was "nothing there." "

I would take that as a no.

TorsinAHog

It said he wasnt interested.  Take off the rose colored glasses my friend.

lrar1974

A source was qouted as saying, "nothing is there". John Calipari didn't not comment on the situation.

SpineHog

yeah, not a lot of positive ways to spin a quote like that.

WilsonHog

A university doesn't prepare a package of $2.5 million to a coach if there is "nothing there."

If there is "nothing there," the university's advances are rebuffed much earlier in the process than that.

UAfan

Quote from: TorsinAHog on April 01, 2007, 10:20:02 am
How many times have we heard that before?  You seriously think JFB is coming back saying "We had a productive trip" and still doesn't know if Cal is coming?  I highly doubt that.

TorsinAHog

Quote from: lrar1974 on April 01, 2007, 10:21:03 am
A source was qouted as saying, "nothing is there". John Calipari didn't not comment on the situation.

Good grief you people are in serious denial.  I'm sure this will be just like the BG situation all over again........

The Hog

Here is the Memphis Commercial Appeal's take on the subject this morning.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/tigers/article/0,2844,MCA_25363_5457080,00.html

Is this their source?
Automatic RUN!

AstroHawg

I read that as Cal told the paper "nothing is there."  That's pretty much straight from the horse's mouth.

hoghearted

Said in another thread, the source was Memphis' AD. Correct?
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

WilsonHog

Great. That'll be one less Razorback sport I'll have to worry about following with Dana "I have a girl's name" Altman running the show.

WilsonHog

Quote from: TorsinAHog on April 01, 2007, 10:22:13 am

Good grief you people are in serious denial.  I'm sure this will be just like the BG situation all over again........

Let me ask you this.

What is the f.ucking alternative at this point?

Because if Calipari isn't coming, our basketball program is sh*t. Period.

UAfan

No you just don't get it.  That is why you my friend have nothing to do with Arkansas athletics.  Listen to WilsonHog he made a good point.

TorsinAHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 01, 2007, 10:23:24 am

Great. That'll be one less Razorback sport I'll have to worry about following with Dana "I have a girl's name" Altman running the show.

I dont know why they wont go after MM. Maybe they have and he wasnt interested?

lrar1974

Read the real article. Not ESPN summation and get back to me. I don't know if he's coming. But it was a source close to Calipari that said "nothing is there", not Calipari.

Don't good grief me before you actually read the real article.

Topcat

JC won't come here, he's using us to get a raise. You know who that leaves. Please Frank, don't hire Altman.

AstroHawg

ESPN sure took liberties if that article is their source.  They say two different things.

milehipig

Quote from: The Hog on April 01, 2007, 10:22:36 am

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/tigers/article/0,2844,MCA_25363_5457080,00.html

Is this their source?
I think so, it uses the same quotes as the comm appeal article. I think espn misinterpreted the article... or didnt take the time to read it.

Bomis Hawg

Some of us should take a step back.
Why are we quoting the Commercial Appeal?
Weren't they the ones who made up the story about Arkansas and some illegal recruiting practices while going after Thaddeus Young?
He went to Ga. Tech.  Sour grapes, imo.
I'll believe some sites, but that one is a stretch to me.  I'll wait until later before I say Cal isn't coming.

rbarber46

why would Broyles make a public offer to a coach who had no interest in the job ... the way I read it the contact happened on Friday and the offer came on Saturday night ...
" Coach Lee's offense is more broken down all the way where everything is right, " Crawford said. " Everything is for everybody. Coach Lee's offense is more advanced than the offense we had last year was. A lot more advanced. Coach Lee, he knows his stuff. "

ballhog™

If MM is interested and Cali isn't I think it would be a huge mistake not to go after him.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

UAfan

Quote from: The Hog on April 01, 2007, 10:22:36 am

Is this their source?
And per the Chronicle in Houston BG had signed the papers to stay at A&M.  You people will believe anything.

HawgAlude

It will not be -- the commerical appeal published that crap and broke it first thing this am. Calipari has not spoken yet- He may not take the deal but UoA and Frank boned up on a bonifide 2+mil dollar offer and things look good right now. I just do not see us thinking we even have a shot at this guy. He let us know if we were interested that he would entertain an offer. He contacted us, we put together a huge deal, and now it is up to him to accept or decline the offer. If he plays us like BG so be it but I do not see us making an offer or tring to get JC without knowing he would accept it especially after BG....

UAfan

sluhog

QuoteBut a source close to Calipari told The Commercial Appeal on Saturday night that he was not interested in the job and that there was "nothing there."

That could easily be the "source's" opinion
"Those text messages come at you so fast, it just messes you up."

lrar1974

Quote from: AstroHawg on April 01, 2007, 10:25:11 am
ESPN sure took liberties if that article is their source.  They say two different things.
Ding Ding Ding... That's what I'm saying. I don't know if he is even thinking about coming here, but the ESPN blurb is different from the original article.

sluhog

milehipig

Quote from: HawgAlude on April 01, 2007, 10:27:42 am

It will not be -- the commerical appeal published that crap and broke it first thing this am. Calipari has not spoken yet- He may not take the deal but UoA and Frank boned up on a bonifide 2+mil dollar offer and things look good right now. I just do not see us thinking we even have a shot at this guy. He let us know if we were interested that he would entertain an offer. He contacted us, we put together a huge deal, and now it is up to him to accept or decline the offer. If he plays us like BG so be it but I do not see us making an offer or tring to get JC without knowing he would accept it especially after BG....
That makes sense, but we haven't exactly been using common sense as a gauge recently, now have we?

Hogeration

We may not get Calipari but the Memphis paper did not report that Calipari stated he wasn't interested.  The paper quoted a source close to Calipari.  At least get the source right ESPN.

If Sexton is behind this thing, you never know what might happen.

AstroHawg

ESPN should correct.  For the love of professional journalism!!!!

AstroHawg

Why would Sexton be behind this, if he isn't Cal's agent?

SultanofSwine

I also read the actual article in the Memphis paper this morning and it clearly stated that the "source close to Cal" is the one who was talking, NOT Cal.

That said, I would still rather have Montgomery of the names being tossed around.

rbarber46

I am not the world's biggest fan of everything Broyles does, but I seriously doubt that he is going to be made to look like a fool again after BG .... I don't think the offer gets made unless he knew going in that Calipari was coming
" Coach Lee's offense is more broken down all the way where everything is right, " Crawford said. " Everything is for everybody. Coach Lee's offense is more advanced than the offense we had last year was. A lot more advanced. Coach Lee, he knows his stuff. "

sluhog

Quote from: lrar1974 on April 01, 2007, 10:29:08 am
Quote from: AstroHawg on April 01, 2007, 10:25:11 am
Ding Ding Ding... That's what I'm saying. I don't know if he is even thinking about coming here, but the ESPN blurb is different from the original article.

Uhh... no, re-read the bits...

QuoteBut a source close to Calipari told The Commercial Appeal on Saturday night that he was not interested in the job and that there was "nothing there."  

QuoteBut Calpari told The Commercial Appeal of Memphis, Tenn., that he wasn't interested in the job and that there was "nothing there."

ESPN misread the article.  There was only one article on this subject, and ESPN is just misquoting it.
Why would the commercial appeal tell ESPN something it didn't print?

HawgAlude

This is what everyone is talking about -- they make it sound like a done deal -- I do not know who their source is

http://www.fox16.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=bd011948-de56-49d5-8ad5-91105d403f5e

AstroHawg

That article says Sexton is Cal's agent, but last night Bacon said he's not.  What's the truth?

milehipig

Quote from: HawgAlude on April 01, 2007, 10:33:26 am
This is what everyone is talking about -- they make it sound like a done deal -- I do not know who their source is

http://www.fox16.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=bd011948-de56-49d5-8ad5-91105d403f5e

Yeah, but who told them Sexton is his agent? he's not.

Hogeration

The Little Rock news station ( I think it was FOX) reported last night that Sexton was his agent.

When Calipari delt with N.C. State, I don't think he had an agent.  But said he would get one. 

Bomis Hawg

Commercial Appeal giving accurate info regarding a story linked to Arkansas (also Memphis)? 
That's impressive. 

milehipig

Quote from: AstroHawg on April 01, 2007, 10:35:46 am
That article says Sexton is Cal's agent, but last night Bacon said he's not.  What's the truth?
Dang it , astro you type faster than me. 

ark30inf

He either is, or he ain't.  Nothing to get bent out of shape about either way.  If he ain't we will locate someone else, if he is we have a coach. 

AstroHawg

Quote from: milehipig on April 01, 2007, 10:37:14 am
Quote from: AstroHawg on April 01, 2007, 10:35:46 am
Dang it , astro you type faster than me. 

It's a gift.  Comes along with not having much of a life.

HawgAlude

It was reported that on a memphis board that he used some other agent. I think he may be using sexton on this deal since he is nutts agent and we all know what sexton did for nutt don't we? I think sexton is close to FB and that brings more credo to the fact that an offer has been made. Sexton does not deal in make believes rumors and half truths. If he is in it, then it is to make a deal happen and it is so he can keep his high profile status as the deal maker.....

lrar1974

I don't know who the source is for Fox, but if they are telling them that Sexton is Cal's agent, that would be wrong. Makes me wonder if they have the rest of the story right. I.E. Cal initiated contact etc etc.

HawgAlude

Quote from: lrar1974 on April 01, 2007, 10:38:52 am

I don't know who the source is for Fox, but if they are telling them that Sexton is Cal's agent, that would be wrong. Makes me wonder if they have the rest of the story right. I.E. Cal initiated contact etc etc.

Wally hall said as much in his column today.... did not mention cal by name but knew about it all...

jmulkern

Sounds like Dana Altman is the Plan B  :(
Quote from: WilsonHog on April 01, 2007, 10:24:24 am

Let me ask you this.

What is the f.ucking alternative at this point?

Because if Calipari isn't coming, our basketball program is sh*t. Period.

3kgthog