Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

***OFFICIAL "I LIKE MIKE MONTGOMERY" THREAD***

Started by Table Rocker, March 31, 2007, 10:08:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Table Rocker

PLAYBOAR

I would prefer Montgomery over just about anybody if we're going the "established coach" route.  Even over Majerus.  He's infinitely better than the likes of Doc Sadler or one of the Sutton boys. 

At least we know the guy knows how to win.
Hey Ref, does your wife know you're screwing us?

ballhog™

I hope I'm not getting worked up over nothing, but I'll be ready for the season to start tomorrow if it's Mike.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

wacohog

Quote from: HogsGranpa on March 31, 2007, 11:59:41 am
Quote from: donewithdale on March 31, 2007, 11:46:33 am
Quote from: HogsGranpa on March 31, 2007, 11:42:55 am
Quote from: Karma on March 31, 2007, 10:24:18 am
Montgomery would also satisfy the "academic" aspects that it has been rumored White requires in a hire. After all of those years at Stanford, MM no doubt knows how to get smart kids and keep them in class.

Montgomery to me is the Tim Floyd of 2 years ago. Floyd was a good college coach wooed to the NBA where he failed. Now he is back in college and doing well. For any Hog fan that wants Floyd, I can't see how you would be disappointed with Montgomery.

Have to admit, very disappointed.  60 years old starting over new at a new school. 

Can not factor this with college players.

I don't understand.  What is the problem with his age?  3 years ago he could win 30 games at an acad school in a power conf and now he is too old? 
I think it will hurt in recruiting, and there can not be fire in the belly, as when he was younger.

He will be coaching in the SEC against Donavan, Kennedy, etc.

you don't want montgomery,   but you think scott sutton is perfect for the job??

I don't get it

Arkiebrian

Quote from: wacohog on March 31, 2007, 02:31:33 pm
Montgomery would also satisfy the "academic" aspects that it has been rumored White requires in a hire. After all of those years at Stanford, MM no doubt knows how to get smart kids and keep them in class.

Montgomery to me is the Tim Floyd of 2 years ago. Floyd was a good college coach wooed to the NBA where he failed. Now he is back in college and doing well. For any Hog fan that wants Floyd, I can't see how you would be disappointed with Montgomery.

Have to admit, very disappointed.  60 years old starting over new at a new school. 

I don't understand.  What is the problem with his age?  3 years ago he could win 30 games at an acad school in a power conf and now he is too old? 
I think it will hurt in recruiting, and there can not be fire in the belly, as when he was younger.

you don't want montgomery,   but you think scott sutton is perfect for the job??

I don't get it

I think the previous post is an extremely young person who thinks 60 is elderly.

HogsGranpa

I don't get it

Well, if it is any consolation to you, I was disappointed at first at hearing the announcements that Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson were going to be the next Razorback basketball coaches.

I was pleased to hear the announcement about Stan Heath.

So, maybe that is a good sign that I am disappointed.

However, if he, Montgomery, is the next Razorback coach, I will certainly be cheering them on, and want Montgomery to do well, very well.

My main concern is the recruiting and relating to the young players of today.

Maybe, Montgomery can be of great help to Steven Hill for his Sr. year, as a big man, he is so athletic, and really has not reached his potential as to his athletic ability.

Table Rocker

Quote from: HogsGranpa on March 31, 2007, 03:02:14 pm

I don't get it

Well, if it is any consolation to you, I was disappointed at first at hearing the announcements that Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson were going to be the next Razorback basketball coaches.

I was pleased to hear the announcement about Stan Heath.

So, maybe that is a good sign that I am disappointed.

However, if he, Montgomery, is the next Razorback coach, I will certainly be cheering them on, and want Montgomery to do well, very well.

My main concern is the recruiting and relating to the young players of today.

Maybe, Montgomery can be of great help to Steven Hill for his Sr. year, as a big man, he is so athletic, and really has not reached his potential as to his athletic ability.

Montgomery's time in the NBA gives him instead credibility with recruits. Look at Pitino, Floyd and Calipari when they came back to college, he didn't succeed in the NBA but neither did the other guys, but it sure helped their recruiting.

Rooka

Bring him to the hill now!!!! :razorback:

NuttSucks

Wow so this is the big name guy We had to have. I almost wanna laugh! Id rather keep stan then have MM!

Table Rocker

Quote from: NuttSucks on March 31, 2007, 04:20:24 pm
Wow so this is the big name guy We had to have. I almost wanna laugh! Id rather keep stan then have MM!

then you are retarded

NuttSucks

Call me what you want! I just have bigger dreams i guess. Nothing like hiring someone Who is already close to retirement age. Just funny to me that you people will settle for anything!

Table Rocker

Quote from: NuttSucks on March 31, 2007, 04:29:29 pm
Call me what you want! I just have bigger dreams i guess. Nothing like hiring someone Who is already close to retirement age. Just funny to me that you people will settle for anything!

have you even looked at MM's record? find me a better coach that we have a realistic shot at getting. Also, he's the same age of Coach K, how's he doing in his old age. there is a difference in settling and being realistic, we're not [CENSORED] KY, we aren't gonna buy whoever we want, that's not how it works.

Arkiebrian

You need to be more informed before you come to such ridiculous conclusions.  Google Mike Montgomery...

ballhog™

Your bigger dreams include keeping Stan?
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

NuttSucks

So you have to curse to make a point? Very Intelligent human being. Sorry I'm not excited about a guy that Santa Clara wants!

Table Rocker

MM is a top tier college basketball coach, if you don't agree, then you don't know basketball

NuttSucks

Quote from: Arkiebrian on March 31, 2007, 04:31:24 pm

You need to be more informed before you come to such ridiculous conclusions.  Google Mike Montgomery...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Montgomery#College_coaching_career

Dont have to i already know
take a look for yourself.
So this guy is gonna go sit down in a livingroom and get a 18 yr old kid to come play for him. he should be in a freakin nursing home.

Table Rocker

Quote from: NuttSucks on March 31, 2007, 04:34:00 pm

So this guy is gonna go sit down in a livingroom and get a 18 yr old kid to come play for him. he should be in a freakin nursing home.

he was bringing top 10 classes to one of the toughest academic schools in the country at stanford, imagine what he can do at a school like arkansas with far easier entrance requirements. also, he coached in the NBA, he wasn't that great, but if you don't think an 18 year old kids likes that then you don't know basketball, but we already knew that.

Table Rocker

also who do you want another "up-and-comer" LOL

Arkiebrian

How old are you - 12?  Once again, 60 is not old!

NuttSucks

Ive probably forgotten more than you will ever know.

Just not an exciting hire to me. You can personally attack me all you want if thats the only way you can make a point. like i said before shows your intelligence.

I think i need proof on the top 10 class thing also. not saying it didnt happen. heck get me excited about it, id love to be thrilled im just not sold on a coach that won in the Pac 10.  Not sure his style is gonna be what most razorback fans are looking for. Beverly and Weems want an uptempo style coach not sure thats what we are gonna get with him

Table Rocker

Quote from: NuttSucks on March 31, 2007, 04:42:42 pm

Just not an exciting hire to me. You can personally attack me all you want if thats the only way you can make a point. like i said before shows your intelligence.

I think i need proof on the top 10 class thing also. not saying it didnt happen. heck get me excited about it, id love to be thrilled im just not sold on a coach that won in the Pac 10.  Not sure his style is gonna be what most razorback fans are looking for. Beverly and Weems want an uptempo style coach not sure thats what we are gonna get with him

give me somebody and we'll compare

PrescottHog

so he is a good recruiter because that was the only question i had but lookin at his track record  guess he is

Table Rocker

I think i need proof on the top 10 class thing also. not saying it didnt happen. heck get me excited about it, id love to be thrilled im just not sold on a coach that won in the Pac 10.  Not sure his style is gonna be what most razorback fans are looking for. Beverly and Weems want an uptempo style coach not sure thats what we are gonna get with him

no offense but weems is here for one more year and bev for 3, we're not gonna hire a coach to please them. also, if he wins, why's his style matter???? so you not only want wins but excitement? MM's teams are always great defensive teams that are fundamentally sound.

vol_in_ar

Your getting desperate

2 weeks ago, it was Bill Self, a week ago it was Gillespie, now it's a guy very few know..

So much for selling tickets

NuttSucks

Table Rocker

Quote from: NuttSucks on March 31, 2007, 04:45:46 pm
Not sure what we are comparing!

whoever you think is a better candidate than MM, you can't just bash a coach then not offer a solution, that's called b*tching

NuttSucks

Yeah i want excitement. isnt that why we go to Sporting events! And i just dont feel like im the only one that feels this way maybe i am!

Table Rocker

Quote from: vol_in_ar on March 31, 2007, 04:45:10 pm
Your getting desperate

2 weeks ago, it was Bill Self, a week ago it was Gillespie, now it's a guy very few know..

bruce pearl will never have a 1/4 of the success MM has had in his coaching career. why are you here?

PrescottHog

Your getting desperate

dude shut up and go to a vol board

Table Rocker

Quote from: NuttSucks on March 31, 2007, 04:46:59 pm
Yeah i want excitement. isnt that why we go to Sporting events! And i just dont feel like im the only one that feels this way maybe i am!

you should want wins, those wanting 'excitement' are the problem plaguing our football and basketball programs.

vol_in_ar

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 31, 2007, 04:45:00 pm

no offense but weems is here for one more year and bev for 3, we're not gonna hire a coach to please them. also, if he wins, why's his style matter???? so you not only want wins but excitement? MM's teams are always great defensive teams that are fundamentally sound.

It's all about style..
Heath improved every year, and won 20 plus the last two years, and the one thing all his naysayers harped on was slow, big ten, wear 'em down Basketball.

So style matters

Arkiebrian

Here's another link for you about MM.

http://gostanford.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/montgomery_mike00.html

Table Rocker

Quote from: vol_in_ar on March 31, 2007, 04:48:08 pm

It's all about style..
Heath improved every year, and won 20 plus the last two years, and the one thing all his naysayers harped on was slow, big ten, wear 'em down Basketball.

So style matters

style doesn't win basketball games, you think billy had an exciting style? did you watch A&M? they were a hard nosed gritty defensive team, they didn't run and gun.

NuttSucks

Well lets see. Id take Bill self. Tim floyd. John Calapari. i could go on and on and dont say we cant get these guys yeah maybe not self but the other two you cant lead me to believe they wouldnt come for the right price

vol_in_ar

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 31, 2007, 04:47:08 pm
Your getting desperate

bruce pearl will never have a 1/4 of the success MM has had in his coaching career. why are you here?

To get a kick out of your coaching quandry..

NuttSucks

Table Rocker

It's all about style..

So style matters

stan heath didn't win. (and don't give me back to back 20 win seasons) consecutive first round losses after not making the tourney your first three years is inexcusable.

Table Rocker

Quote from: vol_in_ar on March 31, 2007, 04:49:33 pm
Quote from: Table Rocker on March 31, 2007, 04:47:08 pm
Your getting desperate

To get a kick out of your coaching quandry..

no life?

Table Rocker

NuttSucks

And yeah Pearl will have a much better track record at TN than MM in a much tougher conference at that! look were he had them in his second year. talk about someone not knowing anything about bball

vol_in_ar

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 31, 2007, 04:48:57 pm

It's all about style..

So style matters

style doesn't win basketball games, you think billy had an exciting style? did you watch A&M? they were a hard nosed gritty defensive team, they didn't run and gun.

That's whay he wouldn't have been a good fiit either, read Wally's article from this morning's paper, he said the same thing..

Table Rocker

Quote from: NuttSucks on March 31, 2007, 04:50:51 pm
And yeah Pearl will have a much better track record at TN than MM in a much tougher conference at that! look were he had them in his second year. talk about someone not knowing anything about bball

he also holds the record for blowing the biggest lead in the NCAAT, i'm sure you forgot that though, it was only last week

NuttSucks

Just beacause you have a Hard on Man crush on MM doesnt mean you have to attack every poster that disagrees. Very immature

Table Rocker

Quote from: vol_in_ar on March 31, 2007, 04:51:03 pm

It's all about style..

So style matters

That's whay he wouldn't have been a good fiit either, read Wally's article from this morning's paper, he said the same thing..

wins=fans

Table Rocker

Quote from: NuttSucks on March 31, 2007, 04:52:08 pm
Just beacause you have a Hard on Man crush on MM doesnt mean you have to attack every poster that disagrees. Very immature

still waiting on your coaching candidate.........

vol_in_ar

Quote from: donewithdale on March 31, 2007, 04:50:04 pm
Your getting desperate

Vol is getting scared.  Baseball team sucks.  Football heading downhill with the Fatman.  Bask is all you have and now you see us and UK ready to kick your a** again. 

Well see 154 days till the start of Football, Nov 10th will be a great day..
Your BB team's no where near ready to beat Tennessee, we have Lofton returning, and your best players, considering transfering..

NuttSucks

I gave you 3 canidates at the top if you would open your eyes and quit running your mouth!

Table Rocker

Quote from: vol_in_ar on March 31, 2007, 04:54:15 pm
Quote from: donewithdale on March 31, 2007, 04:50:04 pm
Your getting desperate

Vol is getting scared.  Baseball team sucks.  Football heading downhill with the Fatman.  Bask is all you have and now you see us and UK ready to kick your a** again. 

Well see 154 days till the start of Football, Nov 10th will be a great day..
Your BB team's no where near ready to beat Tennessee, we have Lofton returning, and your best players, considering transfering..

D-MAC will own the vols again this year

vol_in_ar

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 31, 2007, 04:52:54 pm
Quote from: vol_in_ar on March 31, 2007, 04:51:03 pm

It's all about style..

So style matters

wins=fans

You've won the last two years, and attendance as still dwindled.

So now your excited about someone collecting an unemployment check, to be your next head coach..