Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

***OFFICIAL "I LIKE MIKE MONTGOMERY" THREAD***

Started by Table Rocker, March 31, 2007, 10:08:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Table Rocker

March 31, 2007, 10:08:27 am Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 10:12:47 am by Table Rocker
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Montgomery#College_coaching_career

Cut your losses Frank and get MM to the Hill NOW!!!!!

College coaching career

He is the winningest basketball coach at Stanford. Under his leadership, Montgomery compiled an impressive 547-244 (.692) overall record in 18 years at Stanford (1986-2004) and eight seasons at the University of Montana (1978-1986). He boasts an even more impressive 25 winning seasons in his 26 years as a head coach at both Stanford and Montana. Mike Montgomery reached the NCAA tournament ten straight times from 1995-2004. Stanford reached the Final Four under Montgomery in 1998, which was the first time the school made it to the Final Four in 56 years. He made his third appearance along the USA Basketball sidelines in 2002 when he was named an assistant on George Karl's USA World Championship Team staff.

In 2000, Montgomery was named the Naismith and Basketball Times Coach of the Year. He was also named the Pac-10 Coach of the Year four times. Following his career at Stanford, he was awarded the John R. Wooden Legends of Coaching Lifetime Achievement Award.

Arkiebrian

PigWig

Mike's the Man. Good hire if we can land him.

ballhog™

Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

pigfeet

Table Rocker

Hog inAustin

IcEwalker

will he be able to make up the lost time from not recruiting the players in the 2008 class?

pigmania

The only thing that can ruin a man's resume is coaching at Golden State.

Arkiebrian

Quote from: pigmania on March 31, 2007, 10:13:57 am
Calipari was fired from the NBA too...many great NCAA coaches were: Pitino, Floyd...

Table Rocker

the only thing that concerns me is that he was born and raised in California, farthest east he's been is Colorado and he currently resides in CA. I hope we can flash enough money at him that he makes a move to the Ozarks.

Arkiebrian

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 31, 2007, 10:15:48 am
the only thing that concerns me is that he was born and raised in California, farthest east he's been is Colorado and he currently resides in CA. I hope we can flash enough money at him that he makes a move to the Ozarks.
Very true...on the plus side if he does come he brings ties to the state for recruiting purposes.

pigfeet

Quote from: PorkOpine on March 31, 2007, 10:12:25 am
SOLD!  He may not many more years left in him, but he could give the program that WOW factor again.

Wow factor?

You mean "wow" thats what we ended up with?

Table Rocker

Quote from: hogapalooza on March 31, 2007, 10:16:41 am
The NBA is a Tough league for any College coach. Not many have made it there regardless of how good they were in college.

yeah i'm willing to give him a pass on that, his college coaching resume trumps it anyway with all the success he's had.

Assuming Self is out, which appears a safe assumption, then give me Montgomery.

Table Rocker

pigmania

Quote from: Arkiebrian on March 31, 2007, 10:15:15 am
Quote from: pigmania on March 31, 2007, 10:13:57 am
Calipari was fired from the NBA too...many great NCAA coaches were: Pitino, Floyd...
Being fired from the NBA is not bad. Coaching at Golden State is.

Arkiebrian

Table Rocker

Quote from: pigfeet on March 31, 2007, 10:17:53 am
Quote from: PorkOpine on March 31, 2007, 10:12:25 am
SOLD!  He may not many more years left in him, but he could give the program that WOW factor again.

Wow factor?

You mean "wow" thats what we ended up with?

find me a better resume of a coach we realistically have a shot at getting........

Table Rocker

Montgomery would also satisfy the "academic" aspects that it has been rumored White requires in a hire. After all of those years at Stanford, MM no doubt knows how to get smart kids and keep them in class.

Montgomery to me is the Tim Floyd of 2 years ago. Floyd was a good college coach wooed to the NBA where he failed. Now he is back in college and doing well. For any Hog fan that wants Floyd, I can't see how you would be disappointed with Montgomery.

Table Rocker

I think this is the most telling fact, Stanford had ZERO postseason appearances in 46 years and he turned them into a national power.

" In just his second year (1987-88) at Stanford's helm, Montgomery piloted the Cardinal to a 21-12 record and an invitation to the 1988 NIT, being the first Stanford team in 46 years to reach postseason play. The following year, the Cardinal posted a 26-7 record, and advanced to the 1989 NCAA Tournament, the first Stanford NCAA Tournament berth since Stanford won the 1942 NCAA championship."

Table Rocker

Quote from: hogapalooza on March 31, 2007, 10:26:22 am
He would cost less,  work harder,  and have the ability to get the program back to where we all think it is supposed to be.

Over all, unless we can get Self, I like him next best.

yes, all this is going on the assumption we can't get self

Arkiebrian

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 31, 2007, 10:23:58 am
Quote from: Arkiebrian on March 31, 2007, 10:20:27 am
Montgomery turned down Long Beach State recently.

http://origin.presstelegram.com/sports/ci_5563033
holding out hope for a bigger school? :)

Lets hope he still wants to work.  I'll keep trying to find info on him.  He is in Atlanta this weekend, I know that.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Karma on March 31, 2007, 10:24:18 am
Montgomery would also satisfy the "academic" aspects that it has been rumored White requires in a hire. After all of those years at Stanford, MM no doubt knows how to get smart kids and keep them in class.

Montgomery to me is the Tim Floyd of 2 years ago. Floyd was a good college coach wooed to the NBA where he failed. Now he is back in college and doing well. For any Hog fan that wants Floyd, I can't see how you would be disappointed with Montgomery.

good comparision but based on college success montgomery is head and shoulders above floyd, and he's unemployed!

Table Rocker

Quote from: Arkiebrian on March 31, 2007, 10:27:00 am
Quote from: Table Rocker on March 31, 2007, 10:23:58 am
Quote from: Arkiebrian on March 31, 2007, 10:20:27 am
Montgomery turned down Long Beach State recently.

http://origin.presstelegram.com/sports/ci_5563033
holding out hope for a bigger school? :)

Lets hope he still wants to work.  I'll keep trying to find info on him.  He is in Atlanta this weekend, I know that.

good work man, post any articles you come across that are noteworthy. find out if he's got ANY ties to Arkansas or the SEC.

Hogtropolis™

I would be very happy if we were able to Mike Montgomery.

Hogtropolis™

Click here for the schedule and results of Montgomery's final season with Stanford in 2003-2004.  His team averaged 73.6 ppg while only allowing 60.5 ppg and posted a record of 30-2.  They earned a #1 in the NCAAT, but lost 70-67 in the second round to #8 Alabama.

Hawgustus Maximus

Table Rocker

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on March 31, 2007, 10:30:43 am
Click here for the schedule and results of Montgomery's final season with Stanford in 2003-2004.  His team averaged 73.6 ppg while only allowing 60.5 ppg and posted a record of 30-2.  They earned a #1 in the NCAAT, but lost 70-67 in the second round to #8 Alabama.

i remember that game because I picked the upset, to date its still the single best pick i've ever had in the tourney and I suck at brackets for the most part.

razorbackntexas

Quote from: losthawg68 on June 03, 2010, 02:26:15 am
This dude has some superhot friends and his girl is also in the upper echelon of scenery.

Arkiebrian

People...60 is not old.  Maybe it was 50 years ago but not now.  I've not read about any health problems with Montgomery.

ballhog™

The more I read about him, the more I like him.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

badbeagle

count me in.  this guy looks like the most proven candidate that i see popping.  although, i have not seen mike m listed anywhere, but on hogville.

Arkiebrian

Quote from: badbeagle on March 31, 2007, 10:33:43 am
count me in.  this guy looks like the most proven candidate that i see popping.  although, i have not seen mike m listed anywhere, but on hogville.
Another chat board says an announcement is pending...

Of course, all this stuff is rumor!

Table Rocker

Quote from: Arkiebrian on March 31, 2007, 10:33:20 am
People...60 is not old.  Maybe it was 50 years ago but not now.  I've not read about any health problems with Montgomery.

i think he thought we were talking about majerus, lol

Hogtropolis™

Table Rocker

Quote from: Arkiebrian on March 31, 2007, 10:35:14 am
Quote from: badbeagle on March 31, 2007, 10:33:43 am
Another chat board says an announcement is pending...

Of course, all this stuff is rumor!

that's just a rumor, this is an official campaign!

WilsonHog

Montgomery would be an outstanding hire. Not a glamourous coach, but a guy who has had a great deal of success and who is well-respected nationally.

J Man

No to Montgomery.  We will be bringing him out of retirement.  That would reduce his social security benefits.  Leave Montgomery in the old folks home and go with Grant!

ballhog™

I would be excited with his hire.  I think once people find out what he has done he would be "WOW" hire.

PigTimePlayer

If our other choices are Altman or Sadler, then Mike looks like a clear choice.  He's not somebody that personally gets me all excited about next year's season.  He doesn't have any experience in this part of the country at all does he?  Seems like he would have to really be ready to hit recruiting hard in SEC country.

I don't see him being the guy, but we could do worse. 

I think that's what bothers me most about our situation . . . . we're down to guys that we are going to react to by saying, "well, I guess it could be worse" instead of being really excited about the hire.
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

IcEwalker

how well would he be able to recruit the 7 scholarships that will be available? he's been out of the recruiting loop for awhile.

upperdeck_hawg

this quote from the scott cain article this morning pretty much rules out Grant and any other "up and comers"

Broyles said Monday he would hire a coach as quickly as possible and set the criteria as "someone who's a proven, experienced head coach... someone who's already been successful and who will bring a winning record."
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Hawgustus Maximus

I don't care who we get as long as he can coach and he has fire in his eyes and a willingness to fight until 3 days after the world ends.

No more Mr. nice guy. Warriors can have ethics too.

I want to see battle royale.

There is no shame losing when you leave it all on the floor (field).

I AM SICK OF COACHES MORE ADEPT AT POLITICS THAN TEACHING MOTIVATING AND RECRUITING.

Arkiebrian

Quote from: IcEwalker on March 31, 2007, 10:39:47 am
how well would he be able to recruit the 7 scholarships that will be available? he's been out of the recruiting loop for awhile.
Well he was able to recruit #1 Stanford teams with their strict academic standards...he wasn't limited to California there.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Arkiebrian on March 31, 2007, 10:43:29 am
Quote from: IcEwalker on March 31, 2007, 10:39:47 am
Well he was able to recruit #1 Stanford teams with their strict academic standards...he wasn't limited to California there.

good point, i read that in the msnbc article, he was forced to recruit players facing strict academic requirements, imagine what he could do here....

Hawgustus Maximus

Table Rocker

Quote from: Hawgustus Maximus on March 31, 2007, 10:42:21 am
I don't care who we get as long as he can coach and he has fire in his eyes and a willingness to fight until 3 days after the world ends.

No more Mr. nice guy. Warriors can have ethics too.

I want to see battle royale.

There is no shame losing when you leave it all on the floor (field).

I AM SICK OF COACHES MORE ADEPT AT POLITICS THAN TEACHING MOTIVATING AND RECRUITING.

I want a coach that is a winner and class person who will represent the university well, MM is both.

CalHog

nd
Quote from: Table Rocker on March 31, 2007, 10:15:48 am

There is nothing wrong with being born in Ca.  I was and I love Arkansas and will be back ther as soon I can.