Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Stan Heath going to be fired? If so when?

Started by Hollywood_HOGan, March 16, 2007, 11:10:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollywood_HOGan

they said he's fired UNLESS we make the ncaa tournament.

well we made the NCAAT but played like pure horsecrap.
this is unacceptible at Arkansas or SHOULD be unacceptible at Arkansas.

wish this crap was over with earlier in the day. Frick!!!!!!

How are we going to get rid of him when he accomplished the ultimatum?

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: donewithdale on March 16, 2007, 11:12:24 pm
-1 Hollywood

oh no!!!

my karma!! My sweet dearly beloved karma meter!!!!!

oh the humanity!!!!

WBChogfan

We can fire him because he's an inept coach.

pork-n-beam

I want him GONE! We play like Stans demeaner. No excitement, no energy, pathetic. He had a good run, just in over his head.. Get stan out..

football17

tlninja

Well, with most saying that Stan earned more time by getting into the tourney . . . All I have to say is this: The team has given up at this point and were never prepared to play this game.  Because of that, he has just earned his way back out! 

cityhog

someone please tell me that we are going to get a new coach.  please.  please?

Sow’sEar

Its over for him.  This can't be defended at all.

3kgthog

I'm not sure anyone on the hill has the balls to fire anyone. It seems the biggest set of stones walked off with Gardner when she quit the Ladybacks. At least she took one for the team and admitted her suckness.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: tlninja on March 16, 2007, 11:16:19 pm
Well, with most saying that Stan earned more time by getting into the tourney . . . All I have to say is this: The team has given up at this point and were never prepared to play this game.  Because of that, he has just earned his way back out! 

i thought we turned a corner last wekk. Was obviously DEAD wrong.

I dont feel good about next year at all if stan is back. We ahve alot of talent but we have NO idea how to use it.

PHill94

With the team we'll have next year? Stan is here one more year for sure. I say can his ass if we don't make it to the Elite 8 next season. Anything less than 28 wins and a number 3 seed in the tournament is a failure with this team next season.

pork-n-beam

Quote from: tlninja on March 16, 2007, 11:16:19 pm

Exactly, but, HOW? can u be unprepared, and lackidascicall , and lacking energy for an NCAA turney game??

cityhog

HogBrew

HOGCATCH

we are a failure right now! why do you want to wait for another year to verify what you already know?
Winning is a way of life!

ICEman

Heath plays a boring brand of basketball... ticket sales and donations are both down.  Can anyone readily define his style of play?
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

OKC

Earlier I thought he had done enough to earn one more shot at coahcing next year, with the expectations to be loftier. It may be anger right now, but I want him gone because they were not prepared to play and another embarrasing loss...after hearing all week that they did not belong, they should have been jumping through the roof. I can handle poor shooting, it happens...I cannot handle being out hustled, out rebounded, standing around and sensless turnovers!!!! Those are all things that a head coach can remedy, and he has not done it...so I might be angry now, but tomorrow i feel my mind will still be made up.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 16, 2007, 11:10:26 pm

He can and should be let go.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

pigfeet

This is NOT what Razorback basketball should be.

rude1

If the administration had kept its big mouth shut and let the season play out, this would be a no brainer. BUT because we have guys with plenty of dollars but no sense running the show, they have put the put program under siege now. Though at the time when that statement was made it seemed it was impossible that this team would even get in the tourney, still you don't tip your hand, you let the season play out, then you make your move...............

Sonofahog

Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

The_Bionic_Pig

If he doesn't resign by end of next week he will be fired point blank, no speculation/rumor/etc...  So basically it was a win/win for Arkansas fans irreguardless of the outcome of this game.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

SigPig

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 16, 2007, 11:10:26 pm

I hope that is enough to change some people's minds that just making the tourney isn't enough...especially those people that make the decisions to fire/hire coaches....

prairiehogcompanion

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 16, 2007, 11:18:26 pm
I'm not sure anyone on the hill has the balls to fire anyone. It seems the biggest set of stones walked off with Gardner when she quit the Ladybacks. At least she took one for the team and admitted her suckness.

For a minute I thought you were talking about Pokey Chapman. :)

RZRBCK in Texas

I didnt get to watch the game, was it really as bad as it sounds ?

DEVIL DOG HOG

They could however they kept Nutt and he had a similar season to Heath, maybe fire both at once and save a press conference.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

6HogsinGA

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 16, 2007, 11:13:47 pm
Quote from: donewithdale on March 16, 2007, 11:12:24 pm
-1 Hollywood

oh no!!!

my karma!! My sweet dearly beloved karma meter!!!!!

oh the humanity!!!!

+1 I actually LOL when I read your post. Thanks, I needed that the day after we became the laughing stock of the country. Besides, I wouldn't want you to stroke out, bro.

6HogsinGA

March 17, 2007, 01:46:27 pm #28 Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 08:11:08 pm by 6HogsinGA
Quote from: RZRBCK in Texas on March 16, 2007, 11:49:40 pm
I didnt get to watch the game, was it really as bad as it sounds ?

Yes, worse than you could ever imagine.

Pork Twain

Actually the conditions for Stan to not lose his job was to make the tournament but NOBODY ever said that just to make it and get embarrassed in the first round would solidify his job.

Are some people really so "not smart" that you have to repeat the same thing this many times and they still do not get it???
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Factual Fiction

he's gone...............and that is straight up factual.................or fiction.....................

tenhog

How can you fire Heath who has done as well as Nutt???  The only difference is that Heath has character and Nutt is an egotistical slime ball.

hogfan064

Quote from: tenhog on March 17, 2007, 02:49:29 pm
How can you fire Heath who has done as well as Nutt???  The only difference is that Heath has character and Nutt is an egotistical slime ball.

This is the only reason anyone can think of to keep Heath.   Forget Nutt, Heath hasn't earned his keep.  The arguement you present is old and used up.  I don't want Arkansas basketball to become another Mississippi State or South Carolina.  I expect more and Heath hasn't delivered.  To keep Heath here would be a mistake, it would accomplish nothing other than keep the Nutt-Heath arguement alive which has lost its luster.

hogsrbad

9  12  18  21  23 .... Cant Fire Him.

Man Mountain Truth

What is it about Heath and his style of play/philosophy that don't seem to work, or have great success.
I can only assess from the view of a fan. I want the objective opinion of a coach/expert.

Why is it not working? Someone give me a specific and technical explanation ......... Please!!!
"I don't know, but I've been told, big leg woman ain't got no soul."

Robert Plant

PIGINAPOKE

When your 7 foot center is on a guard at the top of the key, You tell me ;]
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

Man Mountain Truth

Again!!!!!! What is Heath doing(or not doing)from a technical standpoint that keeps this team from winning?
I really want to know. I am not interested in smarta** opinions from folks like me. Are there any coaches out here that can give a legitmate assessment on what Heath is doing wrong?

Robert Plant

ChicoHog

I watch a lot of basketball and there is a very common thread on just about all teams nowadays, especially against a man defense which most teams outside of Syracuse play most of the time.  Most teams spread the floor with one post player and 4 players around the perimeter.  Then  one player breaks his man down off the dribble and he penetrates and looks to kcik out for a 3 or someone going to the basket as another defender helps out.  The game has become a dribbling fest with good, quick ball handlers and shooters at all positions or at least 4 of 5 spots being very important.  I went to the games at Sacramento yesterday and Vandy and Indiana do this constantly.  Also most teams like the high ball screen on top of the key to free the point guard like Phoenix does with Steve Nash practically every time down the court.  Big men play is not that important.  It's all about guards who can take their defender off the dribble and perimter shooters.  Then just hold your own on the rebounding end and you'll win a lot of games. 
I personally like watching teams who play zone because then there is more passing and not so much dribbling but because of the 3 point shot being so easy now teams are reluctant to play zone.
Recruit quick ball handlers and shooters along with one decent defender in the post and you will be successful. 

L.A.

I've observed (and I'm no expert) a couple of problems.  First of all, there often is lack of motion in what is supposed to be a motion offense.  A lot of times you will see the guys just standing around while one guy dribbles the ball.  No back cuts, poor screens, ect.  When we play good, the offense is usually active and guys are moving without the ball, coming off screens well, and setting pics well.  However when they're not good, the offense tends to get very stagnant and they ended up throwing up a bad shot because no one is getting open.  This happened a lot against zone defense this year.  To beat the zone, you must pass the ball around the floor quickly to get the defense to shift back and forth.  Eventually you can wear them out which will lead to getting to a man late resulting in an open jumper.  Often times Arkansas would stand around dribbling when facing the zone instead of swinging the ball.  Another major problem this team had this year was getting the ball in bounds against pressure.  For some reason and I can't figure out why, Stan will not run an out of bounds play.  We never set pics on inbounds plays and usually just try to get an isolation with one of our players and lob it over the top.  Tennessee was able to figure  this out during the game in Fayetteville this year and everytime we inbounded the ball their players would just break to the ball and steal it.  These are two problems that I noticed this year.  Poor rebounding and stupid turnovers also did not help the Hogs 

Man Mountain Truth

Excellent! More, more, more ...... !!!!

Robert Plant

HogsGranpa

March 18, 2007, 03:41:52 pm #40 Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 03:56:35 pm by HogsGranpa
Quote from: Man Mountain Truth on March 18, 2007, 03:13:38 pm
What is it about Heath and his style of play/philosophy that don't seem to work, or have great success.
I can only assess from the view of a fan. I want the objective opinion of a coach/expert.

Why is it not working? Someone give me a specific and technical explanation ......... Please!!!

The only opinion I have, and I am not a expert, he does not seem to be able to motivate his team to be able to get to the next level, "or in a zone", which leaves them with a lack of confidence and their ability.   

This also leads to lack of leadership and respect from his players, in his ability to teach and coach to get them to the next level. 

I do believe the players want to win, but getting that "winning edge", many times are intangible things that only a coach with strong leadership skills can bring out.

However, from a technical playing point, shooting under 40% from 3 pt. range, under 75% FT shooting, and turnovers, especially the press, are what keeps us from being a top 10 team in the nation.

weresoclose

March 18, 2007, 03:56:45 pm #41 Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 04:02:59 pm by weresoclose
Intangibles like a War Face, for example.

Seriously, what I saw ALL YEAR LONG was 4 guys standing around, waiting for something to happen.  And Heath is an IZZO product, for the love of pete!  Izzo tries to create mismatches and defensive confusion every time down the floor.  Although sometimes, with a guy like Neitzel, you just let the kid do what he does. 

Remember the way we used to kick it out for a three after a great drive or just a big guy working it then looking for the open man in the corner?  Remember how many open looks we got in half court AND in transition especially!  Heath's teams seem like they don't understand how to get open. 

Where is the hustle?  Where is the motion?  Where is the creation of mismatches?  Why are the kids who don't want to play with all they've got not riding pine?  These are my questions.

tannerspapa

the philosophy will work, (see bob knight.) The problem is that following nolan richardson nobody wants to revert to eddie ball. It is rather boring though after nolans brand of ball. It is tolerable when winning, but it is like watching paint dry.

In our particular case the "motion" is not working because of lack of hustle from our players. We dont maintain proper spacing. We seldom set HARD screens. Our point gaurd play is inconsistent, players get to where they dont work for position cut hard on the screens and most of all they spend FAR too much time dribbling and standing.

At times this season the hogs ran their offense with purpose and other times, they looked lost. That blame probably lies with the head coach for failure to get his team to play HARD every single possession. Especially damaging are turnovers in a lower posession game. If you have few possessions and high turnovers it is hard to beat N E body.

HogsGranpa

Quote from: tannerspapa on March 18, 2007, 03:58:14 pm
the philosophy will work, (see bob knight.) The problem is that following nolan richardson nobody wants to revert to eddie ball. It is rather boring though after nolans brand of ball. It is tolerable when winning, but it is like watching paint dry.

In our particular case the "motion" is not working because of lack of hustle from our players. We dont maintain proper spacing. We seldom set HARD screens. Our point gaurd play is inconsistent, players get to where they dont work for position cut hard on the screens and most of all they spend FAR too much time dribbling and standing.

At times this season the hogs ran their offense with purpose and other times, they looked lost. That blame probably lies with the head coach for failure to get his team to play HARD every single possession. Especially damaging are turnovers in a lower posession game. If you have few possessions and high turnovers it is hard to beat N E body.

Yes, I think we as fans think a thundering dunk counts for more then 2 points, the way we cheer, when it happens.  But it only counts 2 points.

What is exciting to me is hitting 2 or 3 3pt shots in a row, or 4 or 5 short jumpers in a row, then that really opens it up for the dunks and easy baskets.
Quote from: weresoclose on March 18, 2007, 03:56:45 pm
Intangibles like a War Face, for example.

Seriously, what I saw ALL YEAR LONG was 4 guys standing around, waiting for something to happen.  And Heath is an IZZO product, for the love of pete!  Izzo tries to create mismatches and defensive confusion every time down the floor.  Although sometimes, with a guy like Neitzel, you just let the kid do what he does. 

Remember the way we used to kick it out for a three after a great drive or just a big guy working it then looking for the open man in the corner?  Remember how many open looks we got in half court AND in transition especially!  Heath's teams seem like they don't understand how to get open. 

Where is the hustle?  Where is the motion?  Where is the creation of mismatches?  Why are the kids who don't want to play with all they've got not riding pine?  These are my questions.
Intangibles also, in what is the coach going to do to me/us, after the game or in practice, for missing this shot/free throw, or causing this *!#;$#^*turnover

DezNuttstehsuq

March 18, 2007, 04:13:41 pm #44 Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 04:22:38 pm by DezNuttstehsuq
Watch the Mich ST. game from last nite and you will see an immediate difference even tho he was mentored by Izzo.  MSU runs set plays for specific defenses and last nite a couple of sweet little plays stuck out at me.  One play required the passer to spin and pass the ball so it curled around the trailing defender to get to the offensive player, quite cool actually. 

Now when you watch AR offense you will see what is tatamount to playground ball, or essentially hoping for the right opportunity to shoot an open shot or struggle to get one off with the clock winding down.  Last nite we should have pounded Hill, Townes, Hunter, Washington, Thomas, and McGowan down low on every possession, plain and simple USC did not have the size or depth of size that we had and it should have been exploited.

AR spacing, screening routes, passing fundamentals, free throw shooting, low post play are and have been extremely weak for years now with Heath and he just does not have the personality to require that his players actually improve themselves and their game

WindyCityHog

The Hogs played better up tempo....and they lack the outside shooters to complement that up tempo flavor.  Watching Tennessee today....I still have no idea as to why Lofton wasn't a "must" a couple of years ago....Kentucky and Louisville aside, seems I remember Arkansas dropping the ball on that kid.

The half-court game that Heath emphasizes/likes is not suited for the athleticism that the SEC is....

The Hogs have some very gifted players....my thought is that Heath always wanted to play Big 10-style.

As for Friday night, I have no clue.

That was pathetic.

laark

do we not have this type of talent or is it mis-used or not developed?

holtzhog

We have the fire power just not the coaching ability

LJHOG

we don't seem to shoot as well as the teams moving on and we don't seem to react as naturally.  not sure why.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: holtzhog on March 18, 2007, 05:06:11 pm
We have the fire power just not the coaching ability

Just haven't had an adequate Fire Control System.  ;)
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker