Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

10 Best All-Time Razorback Basketball Players

Started by Porkem, March 14, 2007, 05:39:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porkem

I'm 43 and started following the Hogs in 1976 when the triplets were here.  Here is my rankings of the best to come out in the last thirty years.  Would love to know your rankings if you felt like responding.

1.  Sidney Moncrief...G...First Team NBA, First Team NBA All-Defensive Team
2.  Corliss Williamson...F...NBA's 6th man award...NBA ring
3.  Joe Johnson...G...NBA All-Star (alternate)...one of top scorers in NBA
4.  Joe Kleine...C...NBA ring with Chicago...14 seasons in NBA...Olympic Team
5.  Todd Day...NBA veteran...but Ronnie Brewer will be better in long run
6.  Lee Mayberry...G...NBA veteran...1st Team All SEC
7.  Ronnie Brewer...G...NBA rookie on good team...great potential...1st Team All SEC
8.  Ron Brewer...G...NBA veteran...1st Team All SEC
9.  Oliver Miller...C...NBA veteran
10.Alvin Robertson...G...NBA All-Star...1st Team NBA All-Defensive Team
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

sowmonella

1. Sid
2. Corlis
3. Alvin
4. Joe Johnson
5. Daryl Walker
6. Day
7. Brewer Sr.
8. Big Joe
9. Hastings
10.Big O
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Porkem

very good list...Hastings would be in my top 20, as would Walker...but Walker never proved himself as player..good coach though...you may be right about Alvin...but I think JOhnson wil come on
Quote from: sowmonella on March 14, 2007, 05:44:46 pm
1. Sid
2. Corlis
3. Alvin
4. Joe Johnson
5. Daryl Walker
6. Day
7. Brewer Sr.
8. Big Joe
9. Hastings
10.Big O
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

sowmonella

Wasn't Walker the NBA's Defensive POY? I also believe he was an all star.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Porkem

you may be right...the more I think about it...Walker probably deserves to be in the top 10...but who would I kick out?  One of the Brewers I think.
Quote from: sowmonella on March 14, 2007, 06:00:15 pm

dfresh

I think Day should be above Johnson if we're talking about college ball.

Porkem

I agree but was counting NBA too
Quote from: dfresh on March 14, 2007, 06:04:30 pm
I think Day should be above Johnson if we're talking about college ball.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: sowmonella on March 14, 2007, 06:00:15 pm

Sid was D-POY a couple times. Don't know about Darrell. I don't remember much about his pro career, but I was at the U of A in his playing days--and he was freaking good.

BMOS

Sydney Moncrief        Scott Hastings
Ron Brewer               Lee Mayberry
Marvin Delph             Scotty Thurman
Joe Klein                  Darrell Walker
Corliss Williamson       Martin Terry

jimmur74

Joe Johnson would be in the top ten had he played at least 3 years

Sydney Moncrief
Corliss Williamson
Todd Day
Ron Brewer
Marvin Delph
Joe Klein
Scotty Thurman
Martin Terry
Darrell Walker
Lee Mayberry

VetRock

1. Sid
2. Corlis
3. Alvin
4. Joe Johnson
5. Daryl Walker
6. Day
7. Brewer Sr.
8. Big Joe
9. Hastings
10.Big O

As far as actual play time with the razorbacks, I would remove Johnson and put in Thurman.
"Gaps!"
"Gaps?"
"Yeah, Gaps.  She got gaps, I got gaps, together we got no gaps."
---From The Movie "Rocky"

jeffisahog

i know hes not the best but does anyone remember alex dillard.damn he could hit from anywhere

Hoot72

If you are talking about their RAZORBACK career, Martin Terry is the best that I ever saw (just needed some coaching to be better for the pro game).  If you are talking about their entire basketball career, I think Sidney Moncrief was the best -- although Joe Johnson has the opportunity to be better.

rev. tim

Quote from: Hoot72 on March 14, 2007, 09:11:28 pm
   If you are talking about their RAZORBACK career, Martin Terry is the best that I ever saw (just needed some coaching to be better for the pro game).  If you are talking about their entire basketball career, I think Sidney Moncrief was the best -- although Joe Johnson has the opportunity to be better.

Good points, but Sid the Squid is the man.  After two of the three triplets left he put the team on his back and almost beat Larry Bird and IN St. in 1979.  Top 50 all-time NBA, Def. Player of the Year (82/83, 83/84), All NBA (multiple).  If he hadn't played during the era of Magic and Bird he would have been League MVP at least twice.

Also, Alvin Robertson, for all of his legal troubles, was still one of the best ever.  He was also NBA Def. Player of the Year (85/86).  Think about it - A Razorback was NBA Defensive Player of the Year 3 out of 4 seasons from 82/83 to 85/86.

Say what you want about Eddie Sutton, but the man knew how to develop players.

The Boar War

What about Corey Beck?  Man I wish we had that guy running the point now.

bkjacks

When you got it to Corlis on the block, he was money. We have never had anyone that dominate on the block, and that is what wins Championships.

hogtheball

You guys leaving Alvin Robertson off the list are crazy or young.  Robertson should be in the top three after Sid and Corliss - and way ahead of Corliss if you count NBA careers.  Alvin was an NBA all-star four times, was defensive player of the year once, and was on the nba all-defensive squad six times.

In the NBA (10 year career), he averaged over 14 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, and ALMOST THREE STEALS per game.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

hogtheball

Quote from: bkjacks on March 14, 2007, 10:12:48 pm
When you got it to Corlis on the block, he was money. We have never had anyone that dominate on the block, and that is what wins Championships.

Joe Klein was pretty dominant in the block as well.  Also, Sid is is the all-time field goal percentage leader at Arkansas. Not arguing that Corliss wasn't great, but Klein was just as good inside, and sid was close, even at 6'4".
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

nemo

Quote from: rev. tim on March 14, 2007, 10:07:11 pm
Quote from: Hoot72 on March 14, 2007, 09:11:28 pm

Good points, but Sid the Squid is the man.  After two of the three triplets left he put the team on his back and almost beat Larry Bird and IN St. in 1979.  Top 50 all-time NBA, Def. Player of the Year (82/83, 83/84), All NBA (multiple).  If he hadn't played during the era of Magic and Bird he would have been League MVP at least twice.

Also, Alvin Robertson, for all of his legal troubles, was still one of the best ever.  He was also NBA Def. Player of the Year (85/86).  Think about it - A Razorback was NBA Defensive Player of the Year 3 out of 4 seasons from 82/83 to 85/86.

Say what you want about Eddie Sutton, but the man knew how to develop players.

If you remember, Alvin was one of only 4 NBA players to have a quadruple double:  20 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 steals (February 18th, 1986 SA vs. Phoenix)

BigDeal

My Top picks
1. Sidney Moncrief
2. Ron Brewer
3. Marvin Delph
4. Steve Schall
5. Jim Counce
6. US Reed
7. Allan Zahn
8. Willie Cutts
9. Joe Kliene
10. Todd Day

nemo

RAZORBACK basketball players, not necessarily NBA:
1.  Sidney Moncrief
2.  Ron Brewer
3.  Corliss Williamson
4.  Darrell Walker
5.  Marvin Delph
6.  Alvin Robertson
7.  Todd Day
8.  Corey Beck
9.  U.S. Reed
10. Joe Kleine

Hate to leave out Scott Hastings, Derek Hood, Joe Johnson, Clint McDaniel, Scotty Thruman, Andrew Lang, Oliver Miller, William Mills, Lee Mayberry, Ron Heury and so on, and so on...

LZH

This could go on forever, as it should.........great topic.

Sid
Corliss
Terry
Joe J
Day
Joe K
Mayberry
Thurman
Brewer I
Brewer II

That's just one version...really need a top 25.

Again, good topic.

hogtheball

Quote from: BigDeal on March 14, 2007, 11:02:37 pm
My Top picks
1. Sidney Moncrief
2. Ron Brewer
3. Marvin Delph
4. Steve Schall
5. Jim Counce
6. US Reed
7. Allan Zahn
8. Willie Cutts
9. Joe Kliene
10. Todd Day

Nobody would laugh at your list more than Jim Counce and Alan Zahn.  Can you imagine what would happen if you lined up Corliss Williamson against Jim Counce?  I like you list, though.  The 77 and 78 squads are my favorites.

Tejano Jawg

1. Sid
2. Corlis
3. Alvin
4. Joe Johnson
5. Daryl Walker
6. Day
7. Brewer Sr.
8. Big Joe
9. Hastings
10.Big O

I like this list, but I'd forget about the "NBA element" and squeeze both Lee Mayberry and US Reed into Joe Johnson's spot. Both Reed and Mayberry were great college players and more significant to the U of A...both were there all 4 years. In fact, I think Mayberry started every game of his career. That's phenominal.

As for US Reed...he's legendary. He's been discussed a lot here lately, because of his half-court winner against Louisville (not the only game he won on a last-second shot). But he could do it all...pass, run the point, steal, great shooting percentage...and even at 6-1 or so, he could block shots and dunk over big men. Reed's career stats were good, but I doubt he has any records...but reading numbers about him won't do him justice, you had to see him play.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

hawgtahm

Dang, naming a top ten is a pretty tough task. If you're looking at overall career (NCAA/NBA), the top of the list has to be Sidney, in my opinion. After that is where it gets tough. A case can be made for almost any of the previously mentioned.

However, if this were a discussion of the most valuable Razorback basketball player, Corey Beck would be it. I have said it before on this board: Corey lived for every win, but not as much as he died with every loss. He was the glue......

bkjacks

Who on that list has the hardware? To me, that says he was the best. Corliss goterdone. There were several great players, but if I had to start a team of ex Hogs in their prime,  Corliss would be my first pick in the draft. He was just pretty good on the break also.

hawgtahm

Quote from: bkjacks on March 15, 2007, 04:43:24 am
Who on that list has the hardware? To me, that says he was the best. Corliss goterdone. There were several great players, but if I had to start a team of ex Hogs in their prime,  Corliss would be my first pick in the draft. He was just pretty good on the break also.

Good point. I am not trying to take anything away from "Big Nasty", but my assessment goes deeper than the numbers. In my opinion, Corliss doesn't get the accolades without Beck running the show. I think if you asked Nolan who the MVP of the NC team was, or for that matter, who he would pick first to build an NCAA program around, he would say Corey Beck.

Bvilleboar

Moncrief
Corlis
Alvin
Johnson
Walker
Day
Joe
Brewer Sr.
Delph
US
Hastings
Mayberry
Big O
Thurman
Brewer Jr
2012 the year of the HOGS

pfrg999

Quote from: butchdavisisback on March 14, 2007, 05:39:39 pm
I'm 43 and started following the Hogs in 1976 when the triplets were here.  Here is my rankings of the best to come out in the last thirty years.  Would love to know your rankings if you felt like responding.

1.  Sidney Moncrief...G...First Team NBA, First Team NBA All-Defensive Team
2.  Corliss Williamson...F...NBA's 6th man award...NBA ring
3.  Joe Johnson...G...NBA All-Star (alternate)...one of top scorers in NBA
4.  Joe Kleine...C...NBA ring with Chicago...14 seasons in NBA...Olympic Team
5.  Todd Day...NBA veteran...but Ronnie Brewer will be better in long run
6.  Lee Mayberry...G...NBA veteran...1st Team All SEC
7.  Ronnie Brewer...G...NBA rookie on good team...great potential...1st Team All SEC
8.  Ron Brewer...G...NBA veteran...1st Team All SEC
9.  Oliver Miller...C...NBA veteran
10.Alvin Robertson...G...NBA All-Star...1st Team NBA All-Defensive Team

I agree completely (you could move Joe Johnson down a little) But in the 11-20 you could have names like... Scotty Thurman... Martin Terry... Scott Hastings....Pat Bradley.... Derek Hood... Marvin Delph... Corey Beck....Andrew Lang.... Dean Tolson.... Mario Credit...U.S. Reed
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

JustWinHog

If you have Big O on your list and exclude Martin Terry you need to go check you media guide for all time stats. Marvin Delph should be on the list also. Scotty Thurman should be in the top 3 in my opinion.

RedSatinHog

1.  IMHO, th discussion about who's the greatest starts and ends with Sidney Moncrief.
2.  Darrell Walker
3.  Corliss Williamson
4.  Alvin Robertson
5.  Joe Kleine
6.  Joe Johnson
7.  Todd Day
8.  Oliver Miller
9.  Ron Brewer, Sr.
10. Marvin Delph
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

JustWinHog

My Top 10 All Time best Razorbacks. Not Best Bucks, Pistons, Hawks etc. Top Ten Hogs

1. Corliss
2. Thurman
3. Beck
4. Mcdaniel
5. Stewart
6. Moncreif
7. Martin Terry
8. Day
9. Delph
10. Johnson

PeytonManningSUCKS

1. Al Dillard
2. Al Dillard
3. Al Dillard
4. Al Dillard
5. Al Dillard
6. Al Dillard
7. Al Dillard
8. Al Dillard
9. Al Dillard
10. Al Dillard

his bounce 360 dunk was sweet.  Oh and he could jack the three from the hogs tail.

Porkerpower

1. Super Sid
2. Corliss Williamson
3. Ron Brewer
4. Joe Johnson
5. Todd Day
6. Martin Terry
7. Scotty Thurmon
8. Big Joe from Slater, MO
9. Darrell Walker
10. Scott Hastings

bigyellowdog

Top 10 Hogs:

1.  Super Sid
2.  Corliss
3.  Joe Johnson
4.  Ron Brewer Sr.
5.  Joe Kline
6.  Alvin Robertson
7.  Todd Day
8.  Big O
9.  Darryl Walker
10.  Lee Mayberry

It is hard to settle on just 10.  Delph, Thurman, Beck, Hastings, and a host of others can easily be justified as being on the list.  It is great to have a basketball tradition.

bigyellowdog

March 15, 2007, 09:39:34 am #35 Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 09:41:34 am by bigyellowdog
Hopefully, in a few years, we can add Beverly to the list.   :razorback:

forwhomthebelltoll

My Top 10 All Time best Razorbacks. Not Best Bucks, Pistons, Hawks etc. Top Ten Hogs

1. Corliss
2. Thurman
3. Beck
4. Mcdaniel
5. Stewart
6. Moncreif
7. Martin Terry
8. Day
9. Delph
10. Johnson
[/quote]

I will bet you never saw a game Sidney Moncrief played at Arkansas. If so, not only would he be your number one but McDaniel certainly wouldn't be above him. Give me a break!!

MCPeePants

Quote from: pfrg999 on March 15, 2007, 08:39:41 am
I agree completely (you could move Joe Johnson down a little) But in the 11-20 you could have names like... Scotty Thurman... Martin Terry... Scott Hastings....Pat Bradley.... Derek Hood... Marvin Delph... Corey Beck....Andrew Lang.... Dean Tolson.... Mario Credit...U.S. Reed

Mario Credit? Much like Lee Wilson and Darnell Robinson after him, Credit was a huge underachiever. He wouldn't be in my top 50.

bigyellowdog

Quote from: BigDeal on March 14, 2007, 11:02:37 pm
My Top picks
1. Sidney Moncrief
2. Ron Brewer
3. Marvin Delph
4. Steve Schall
5. Jim Counce
6. US Reed
7. Allan Zahn
8. Willie Cutts
9. Joe Kliene
10. Todd Day

If only Cutts could have stayed clean, he would have probably made my list as well.  Willie had as much potential as anyone to ever hit campus.   

jamie72921

Super Sid
Joe Johnson
Alvin Robertson
Coriliss Williamson
Scott Hastings
Dean Tolsen
Ron(not Ronnie) Brewer
Lee Mayberry
Todd Day
Darrell Walker

Hey, 10 aint enough.

Lenzie Howell, Scotty Thurman, Marvin Delph, Joe Klein, Martin Terry, Tony Brown, Oliver Miller, Kareem Reid, Derek Hood, US Reed, Charles Balentine, etc.
Bless your heart

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: hogtheball on March 14, 2007, 10:55:54 pm
You guys leaving Alvin Robertson off the list are crazy or young.  Robertson should be in the top three after Sid and Corliss - and way ahead of Corliss if you count NBA careers.  Alvin was an NBA all-star four times, was defensive player of the year once, and was on the nba all-defensive squad six times.

In the NBA (10 year career), he averaged over 14 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, and ALMOST THREE STEALS per game.

I remember hearing rumors about NBA teams having to adjust their offences to counter Alvin Robertson's defensive prowess. This is pretty unusual for a guard. He was awesome.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

razorback93

1st team:

Lee Mayberry
Sidney Moncrief
Todd Day
Corliss Williamson
Oliver Miller

2nd team

Alvin Robertson
Ron Brewer
Scotty Thurman
Scott Hastings
Joe Kliene

Darrell, U.S, Joe probably deserve a spot, but I was trying to actually construct a team.  Also, I gave more weight to what they did at Arkansas.  I could make a third team with those three, Martin Terry, and Daen Tolleson, and be pretty salty. I forgot about Ronnie.

kgr

Ron Brewer, Sr.
Sydney Moncrief     
Lee Mayberry
Marvin Delph           
Todd Day
Joe Klein
Corliss Williamson
Martin Terry
Corey Beck
Alvin Robertson

In no particular order.

wooly

What happened to Mayberry?  Saw Day and Miller bounce around the NBA then with the Rimrockers, but Lee just pulled a Keyser Soze and poof, he was gone.

George S. Pigton

Notice how our final four teams or really good teams always had 3 players
to run around. First you had the triplets, then Big Joe, Walker, and Alvin, then came
Day, Mayberry, and Big O.  Followed closely by Corliss, Thurman, Beck.

After that, we had Joe J., and Ronnie Brewer and now maybe Beverly and Weems.
Maybe Washington will be the third next year and we can make a run.

1. Sid
2. Corliss
3. Ron Brewer
4. Day
5. Delph
6. Mayberry
7. Walker
8. Alvin
9. Big Joe
10. Little Joe

\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

ChicoHog

I have to go by 1978 final four team and after as that's when I started following the hogs.  College careers only.
1. Moncrief
2.  Williamson
3.  Day
4.  Brewer, sr.
5.  Kleine
6.  walker
7.  robertson
8.  Thurman
9.  Hastings
10.  Delph

Dennis7764

Starting Razorback 5.                       Off the Bench 5.
1. Martin Terry                           1. Mavin Delph
2. Corliss Williamson                    2. U.S. Reed
3. Sid. Moncrief                          3. Todd Day
4. Ron "Boot Head" Brewer            4. Joe Kliene
5. Lee Mayberry                          5. Scott Hastings

jmark

Dwight Stewart is the most unrated player.  His ability to hit shots at the top of the key, made that team.

Cory Beck was great.
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

Yoko Oinko

March 15, 2007, 06:57:56 pm #48 Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 06:59:41 pm by Yoko Oinko
1. Leroy Sutton..The most entertaining free throw shooter in Hog history
2. Jay Crane...The whitest man who ever played the game
3. Willie Cutts...All-Cummins Unit
4. Elmer Martin or Ken Biley...They were the same guy, right?
5. Almer Lee...Almer rhymes with Elmer.
6. Keenen Debose...All Geri-Curl Team.  Later played the lead character in the L Debarge Story
7. Robert Brannon...Best Defensive End who ever played for Sutton. 
8. Eric Poerske/Kevin Reihl...They were the same guy right?
9. Warren Linn..All Mousse team
10.  Mario Credit.. All Jimmy Dean Team.
"Every time Pam Anderson and Paul McCartney go on a PETA crusade i am going to kill ten of something." - Ted Nugent

hogtheball

Quote from: Arkansas Proud II on March 15, 2007, 05:45:39 pm
You have to have Corliss #1.

2 time All-American.

National Championship.

He's a DISTANT #2 to Sidney and the evidence is in their numbers and their pro careers:

1)  Sid was a better shooter (even had a higher field goal percentage than Corliss - 61% to 58%)

2)  Sid was a better rebounder (at only 6'3" he averaged 8.3 per game - Corliss avgd 7.2)

3)  Sid was a MUCH MUCH better defender (5-time all nba defensive team and two-time defensive player of the year)

4)  Sid was a better free throw shooter (78% - 67%)

5) Corliss was a better scorer overall (19 - 17 pts per game) but Sid had the best scoring season

6) Both were great passers and averaged 2 assist per game

7)  I don't remember Sidney ever getting shut down in a big game - and he outplayed maybe the second greatest basketball player of all-time in Larry Bird.  Corliss got completely shut down in the finals by a guy who couldn't make a pro team.

8)  In the pros, Sid was a 5-time nba all-star, 5-time all-defensive team, and 2-time defensive player of the year.  Corliss was most improved player one year.   

ADVANTAGE: SID.