Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017-18 Hogs record prediction

Started by redleg, October 05, 2017, 11:32:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

Looking at their schedule, http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-baskbl/schedule/, I predict that the Razorbacks will finish the regular season with a record of 24-7 overall, 13-5 in SEC play. Losses will be UNC and Ok St in non-conference, and at Auburn, at Florida, at Texas A&M, at Ole Miss, and Kentucky in SEC play. Anderson's teams always seem to find a way to lose 2-4 games that they should win every season, and I think Ok St, at Auburn, and at Ole Miss will be those games in the 2017-18 season.
Arkansas should receive a bid to the NCAA Tournament regardless of what they do in the SEC Tournament, although one or two wins in the SEC Tourney in St. Louis would help their seeding.

A Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tourney is possible, with a final overall record of 27-9.
Jalen Barford will be at least 2nd Team SEC, and Daniel Gafford will be on the SEC All-Freshman Team. Coach Anderson will finish second in the SEC COTY voting to Alabama's Avery Johnson.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Hoggish1

Quote from: redleg on October 05, 2017, 11:32:10 am
Looking at their schedule, http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-baskbl/schedule/, I predict that the Razorbacks will finish the regular season with a record of 24-7 overall, 13-5 in SEC play. Losses will be UNC and Ok St in non-conference, and at Auburn, at Florida, at Texas A&M, at Ole Miss, and Kentucky in SEC play. 

A Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tourney is possible, with a final overall record of 27-9.
Jalen Barford will be at least 2nd Team SEC, and Daniel Gafford will be on the SEC All-Freshman Team. Coach Anderson will finish second in the SEC COTY voting to Alabama's Avery Johnson.

I disagree on the five games above with the final record being 30-6.

The_Iceman

October 05, 2017, 01:01:45 pm #2 Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 01:39:50 pm by The_Iceman
My Super Optimistic Prediction:

12-1 non-conference.
13-5 SEC

1-1 in SEC Tournament
2-1 in NCAA (Sweet 16)

30-8 overall.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 05, 2017, 01:01:45 pm

12-1 non-conference.
15-5 SEC

1-1 in SEC Tournament
2-1 in NCAA (Sweet 16)

30-8 overall.

Looks like you got us at 14 and 4 in conference play. That's very optimistic.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Youngsta71701

11/10 - Samford (W)
11/12 - Bucknell (W)
11/17 - Fresno State (W)
11/23 - Oklahoma [PK80] (W)
11/24 - North Carolina [PK80] (L)
11/26 - Michigan State/Oregon [PK80] (L)
12/2 - @ Houston (W)
12/5 - Colorado State (W)
12/9 - Minnesota (W)
12/16 - Troy [NLR] (W)
12/19 - Oral Roberts (W)
12/27 - Cal State Bakersfield (W)
12/30 - Tennessee (W) [1-0]
1/2 - @ Mississippi State (L) [1-1]
1/6 - @ Auburn (W) [2-1]
1/10 - LSU (W) [3-1]
1/13 - Missouri (W) [4-1]
1/17 - @ Florida (L) [4-2]
1/20 - Ole Miss (W) [5-2]
1/23 - @ Georgia (W) [6-2]
1/27 - Oklahoma State [SEC/Big 12 Challenge] (W)
1/30 - @ Texas A&M (L) [6-3]
2/3 - @ LSU (W) [7-3]
2/6 - South Carolina (W) [8-3]
2/10 - Vanderbilt (W) [9-3]
2/13 - @ Ole Miss (W) [10-3]
2/17 - Texas A&M (W) [11-3]
2/20 - Kentucky (L) [11-4]
2/24 - @ Alabama (L) [11-5]
2/27 - Auburn (W) [12-5]
3/3 - @ Missouri (W) [13-5]

11-2 OOC
13-5 SEC
24-7 overall (pre-SEC tournament)
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

redleg

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 05, 2017, 11:57:53 am
I disagree on the five games above with the final record being 30-6.
I am not convinced that Arkansas can go to Oxford and win a game. For some reason, Ole Miss has had the Hogs number for over a decade now. It's very frustrating, especially since Ole Miss basketball should not be considered on the same level as Arkansas, and the Hogs should beat the Rebs 4 out of 5 games.

Letsroll1200

11-2 non conference

12-6 conference record

23-8

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on October 11, 2017, 10:55:49 am
11-2 non conference

12-6 conference record

23-8

We're not that far apart, I say 22-9.
Hogs up! Covid down!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: redleg on October 11, 2017, 10:25:53 am
I am not convinced that Arkansas can go to Oxford and win a game. For some reason, Ole Miss has had the Hogs number for over a decade now. It's very frustrating, especially since Ole Miss basketball should not be considered on the same level as Arkansas, and the Hogs should beat the Rebs 4 out of 5 games.

We beat them the last time played there.

BannerMountainMan

All I'm saying is 20 wins will get us in the tourney, 23-25 will get us a 5-7 seed
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

FineAsSwine

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on October 11, 2017, 12:15:35 pm
All I'm saying is 20 wins will get us in the tourney, 23-25 will get us a 5-7 seed

Sounds reasonable.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Knot2brite

19-12 preseason...mid season may be a different story...lots of questions early
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Pinto

Just don't panic and start the "Fire Mike Anderson" chant if we lose to Bucknell

wavybone

Worried about the Bucknell game. Think we're going to finish with 21 wins.

gmarv

anything above 20 wins in the regular season,will probable get us in the ncaa tourney.24 wins would probable get us a better seed than last year.
Being the eternal optimist i,m going 11-2 non conf.13-5 conf. 2-1 sec tourney,2-1 ncaa tourney. season total 28-9.

Pinto

Quote from: gmarv on October 11, 2017, 05:49:29 pm
anything above 20 wins in the regular season,will probable get us in the ncaa tourney.24 wins would probable get us a better seed than last year.
Being the eternal optimist i,m going 11-2 non conf.13-5 conf. 2-1 sec tourney,2-1 ncaa tourney. season total 28-9.

That's overachieving for sure

hogwood

Quote from: Pinto on October 11, 2017, 07:21:32 pm
That's overachieving for sure

I agree too. CMA should win COY if that happens especially considering all the preseason "experts" placing their predictions on us...

Hawg Red

I still think we're in the 19-22 range pre-SECT. I think anywhere in the range has us in the NCAA tournament with this schedule.

Iwastherein1969

This crew can score the basketball. I think it's addition by subtraction losing Dusty Hannahs as at the end of his career at Arkansas he was letting loose with shots where only the ghosts of Al Dillard could make them. I say we win 32 games this year and make a helluva run in the NCAA tournament. Maybe even Final Four.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 12, 2017, 12:48:22 am
This crew can score the basketball. I think it's addition by subtraction losing Dusty Hannahs as at the end of his career at Arkansas he was letting loose with shots where only the ghosts of Al Dillard could make them. I say we win 32 games this year and make a helluva run in the NCAA tournament. Maybe even Final Four.

May all your dreams come true.....
Hogs up! Covid down!

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 12, 2017, 08:27:58 am
May all your dreams come true.....
If you can't dream now, why even give a damn ?...I'll bet you wore a Courtney Fortson fake hair hat back in the day of when Coach Ginger was bleeding, Fortson scored 34 points in one half to beat Moo St and the team spent more time at he local bars than they did in their rooms.

ad: you know I'm kidding, right ?
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 12, 2017, 10:10:01 am
If you can't dream now, why even give a damn ?...I'll bet you wore a Courtney Fortson fake hair hat back in the day of when Coach Ginger was bleeding, Fortson scored 34 points in one half to beat Moo St and the team spent more time at he local bars than they did in their rooms.

ad: you know I'm kidding, right ?

Well, tbh when Macon and Barford announced they were coming back, I did briefly entertain visions of the Hogs cutting down the net in the championship game again until I read a few threads on here. But that's what Hogville is for, to dash our hopes against a stone.

You know, it may seem irrational but when the Powerball or Mega Millions gets up to half a billion plus, I buy a ticket. I know its almost guaranteed I won't win but up until the moment those bouncing balls dash that madly hopeless optimism, I know there is a chance no matter how slim. So, dream away fellow pig trail traveler. Dream away.
Hogs up! Covid down!

yocdaddy

Lots of high expectations for HOG fans.  Don't get crazy and try to get someone fired if they don't meet those unrealistic expectations. 

We lost 3 very important players.  Moses Kingsley was an experienced post scorer, defender, and rebounder.  Dusty Hannahs changed how the other team played us defensively every time he was on the floor.  Manny Watkins was a glue guy who did whatever he was asked to do.  Those kind of players aren't super easy to replace with inexperience.

If we win 10 non-conference games and 11 SEC games pre tournament, that's a good season.  Our record would be 21-10 going into the SEC tournament.  Anything less than that would be disappointing, anything more would be a pleasant surprise.
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

redleg

I think Arkansas is a little better than that. The 2 and the 3 are strong this year, but someone is going to have to step up at point guard and help out Beard. The 4 is looking pretty good too if you count Gafford at that position (but I consider him a center). None of the power forwards are a threat from 3 point range, except maybe Hall or Bailey. Thompson is going to have to step up and help Gafford in the paint!
I feel that scoring in bunches during those runs that Arkansas has throughout games, and playing solid team defense from start to finish, will be the difference between only winning 20 or 21 games and barely making it into the NCAA Tourney, and winning 26 or 27 games and finally making it past the 2nd round for the first time since 1996.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: yocdaddy on October 12, 2017, 11:06:12 am
Lots of high expectations for HOG fans.  Don't get crazy and try to get someone fired if they don't meet those unrealistic expectations. 

We lost 3 very important players.  Moses Kingsley was an experienced post scorer, defender, and rebounder.  Dusty Hannahs changed how the other team played us defensively every time he was on the floor.  Manny Watkins was a glue guy who did whatever he was asked to do.  Those kind of players aren't super easy to replace with inexperience.

If we win 10 non-conference games and 11 SEC games pre tournament, that's a good season.  Our record would be 21-10 going into the SEC tournament.  Anything less than that would be disappointing, anything more would be a pleasant surprise.

Nothing wrong with thinking highly in your expectations...Just dont get carried away. Those three played big roles but Manny played some good minutes down the stretch. Dusty and Moses I was left with wanting more from those two.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: HawgnCorona on October 17, 2017, 11:38:33 am
Nothing wrong with thinking highly in your expectations...Just dont get carried away. Those three played big roles but Manny played some good minutes down the stretch. Dusty and Moses I was left with wanting more from those two.
Hall is already a better Watkins but not even close to as experienced, Beard has lost 20 pounds and looks better than ever, only question I see is if Gafford and Thompson can step up be a Kingsley
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Razorod

Am a bit concerned about depth and wearing down as the season goes on if we have only ten players available. Of course, that assumes Cook does not get reinstated and Garland is not cleared to play.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Razorod on October 17, 2017, 01:26:04 pm
Am a bit concerned about depth and wearing down as the season goes on if we have only ten players available. Of course, that assumes Cook does not get reinstated and Garland is not cleared to play.
we only play 10, prolly not even that, Hazen, Jones, Bailey, didn't play last year and we only played 9

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Razorod

As of now, my prediction is 21-10, but we've gotten very few practice reports and some things are in flux. Will have better idea after the exhibition games.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

mizzouman

Quote from: Razorod on October 18, 2017, 03:29:32 pm
As of now, my prediction is 21-10, but we've gotten very few practice reports and some things are in flux. Will have better idea after the exhibition games.
You all play exhibition games?

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 05, 2017, 01:01:45 pm

12-1 non-conference.
13-5 SEC

1-1 in SEC Tournament
2-1 in NCAA (Sweet 16)

30-8 overall.

I like this but I think we win another game in the SEC tourney. This is a team built for tournaments. 31-8.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

TheRazorback500

10-3 NC
10-8 SEC
2-1 SECt

22-12. Bubble?
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Hawg Red

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on October 18, 2017, 07:49:12 pm
10-3 NC
10-8 SEC
2-1 SECt

22-12. Bubble?

Gonna have some quality wins with that record. If they can limit or not have any "bad" losses, that is an easy tournament team a la Vanderbilt from last year. With the right wins and losses, I think this team could be safely in with 19 wins pre-SECT.

rzrbackramsfan

12-1 non con
15-3 sec
3-0 sec tournament

Who knows what in the tournament.  This is the year Arkansas falls back on the map in a serious way.

Hogs49ers

Joel Berry broke his hand today and will be out for the beginning of the season so if we happen to play UNC in the 2nd round of the early season tourney, that has become a very winnable game based on him being out and what they lost to the NBA last year (Tony Bradley and I believe at least one or two more solid players) as they try to work through chemistry issues with a bunch of new starters.
SCREW Vandy!

Wisco Pig

Quote from: Hogs49ers on October 23, 2017, 03:31:19 pm
Joel Berry broke his hand today and will be out for the beginning of the season so if we happen to play UNC in the 2nd round of the early season tourney, that has become a very winnable game based on him being out and what they lost to the NBA last year (Tony Bradley and I believe at least one or two more solid players) as they try to work through chemistry issues with a bunch of new starters.

The reports I'm seeing online state he'll be out four weeks, which leaves the possibility he could be back to play against Arkansas Nov. 24.   If Berry does miss the game, UNC will be without its top five scorers from last season's team.   Yes, could be a big break for the Hogs.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: Wisco Pig on October 23, 2017, 04:06:28 pm
The reports I'm seeing online state he'll be out four weeks, which leaves the possibility he could be back to play against Arkansas Nov. 24.   If Berry does miss the game, UNC will be without its top five scorers from last season's team.   Yes, could be a big break for the Hogs.

Yah you're probably right, knowing our luck, surely our game against UNC will be his first game back...
SCREW Vandy!

Wisco Pig

Quote from: Hogs49ers on October 23, 2017, 04:24:02 pm
Yah you're probably right, knowing our luck, surely our game against UNC will be his first game back...

Ha.  I hear you.  Maybe it's time for our luck to change, though.   I'm hoping Cook's suspension isn't too long, Garland's cleared to play soon, the Hogs stay healthy... Perhaps everything will come together.

redleg

Quote from: mizzouman on October 18, 2017, 03:37:54 pm
You all play exhibition games?
Have for years. Teams are allowed up to 2 exhibition games at the beginning of the season.

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on October 11, 2017, 11:17:45 am
I'm thinking 25-28 wins while the team gels.  Think we will make a nice run in the tourney and next year scare the crap out of people.  Things are looking real good with Arkansas Basketball.

There's the "wait till next year crap". Always next year

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on October 26, 2017, 04:10:32 pm
I hate the "next year" speech.  Ask Macon or Barford if they are waiting till next year.  Bet you already know that answer.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

mhuff

I have yet to see consistent play offensively or defensively by a CMA team. Whether we can play consistent defense is going to determine our win loss record. As long as the ball goes inside, I believe the offense will take care of itself. Gafford will be a target that I believe his teammates will take advantage of.  I also think the PF position will contribute significantly, especially when Thompson is on the floor. If you put a SF in there that can score, we will be ready to rock and roll because our guards can take care of business.

This is the year that CMA has to show good coaching ability. He has the talent to run people off the floor if they are properly coached. 

Birminghog

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on October 26, 2017, 04:19:03 pm
I hate the "next year" speech.  Ask Macon or Barford if they are waiting till next year.  Bet you already know that answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrGXASfBwAs

BannerMountainMan

I've studied the schedule hard and I have us going 22-9 with a (11-7) conf record, L's @ 2nd game of invitational, Minnesota, @Florida, @Georgia, @ A&M, then 3 in a row late in the year against, A&M, Kentucky, and @Alabama then losing to Mizzou last game of the year

mbgrulz

I think we win in the range of 20-25 games and make the tournament as a 7-10 seed. We won't need to win as many as we did last year to get in due to our schedule.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on October 26, 2017, 04:10:32 pm

I mean, he said 25-28 with a nice tourney run for this season. Yes, he did type the words "next year" but I think you're making something out of nothing. Don't we want to have a good season and still improve the next season? Isn't that always the goal? Not sure where the "crap" is in his post. He wasn't punting this season and putting all on next season, which is what "wait till next year" truly is.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

WBOBO

24-7 with losses to Mich St/Oregon, Minnesota, @Miss St, @Florida, @Georgia, Kentucky, and aTm.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: WBOBO on October 30, 2017, 07:32:52 pm
24-7 with losses to Mich St/Oregon, Minnesota, @Miss St, @Florida, @Georgia, Kentucky, and aTm.

All those plus 1 loss each to Mizzou and Bama.
Hogs up! Covid down!