Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Minimalist Running Shoes

Started by heathman, December 11, 2011, 09:49:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

heathman

Has anyone out there bought into the minimalist running shoes?  I have switched to the Saucony Progrid Kinvara 2 and have been running in them for about two months now. I run between twenty five and thirty miles a week.  I weight around two hundred pounds.   I have noticed my reoccurring shin splints have gone away and I am really wondering if this is a coincidence or a result of the shoe type.   These shoes are not a pure minimalist shoe but more of a transition shoe to a zero drop shoe.  But they seem to help. 

Anyone else have any experience with a minimalist shoe and running style and did it seem to help your running over the long haul?  I seem to be less sore and therefore am able to run more often and longer.  Not sure if I should go all the way to a zero drop shoe or not.

HoggyWayne

When I started running, I wore Vibram Fivefingers only. Once my mileage got over 5 miles, I switched to regular shoes because of blisters on my toes. Coincidentally, I started getting shin splints and now have knee pain. I'm now wondering if the increased mileage or the shoes are to blame. Once I start back, I'm gonna wear the Vibrams I think.

hawgrunner

I just don't see how you guys do it. I have high arches and metatarsalgia issues, running like that would kill me.  ;)

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: rock642 on December 12, 2011, 02:01:13 pm
I just don't see how you guys do it. I have high arches and metatarsalgia issues, running like that would kill me.  ;)

I developed metatarsalgia in my left foot about 3 months ago.  It sucks.   Finally broke down and bought a $130 pair of Asics and it has been all good running-wise since.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

hawgrunner

Yea, I think I ran too far too quick in a pair of stability shoes I got. When I should of moved into them more slowly.

heathman

Well I switched to the Saucony  Kinvaras after getting plantar fasciitis and having shin splints on and off for years.  The plantar fasciitis went away.  Oddly enough it seems these things have higher arches than the Nike's (which I switched to a while back and got plantar) mizunos, and the Asics I used to run in.

It seems that changing my running style meaning landing on midfoot to forefoot has stopped a lot of my pain and allowed me to run more days.  I would not have thought that.  Of course, like I said, these are not complete zero drop shoes though.  I am a little nervous going all the way to zero drop shoes but the results I have had so far has been a positive one.  May have a lot do do with me being a heavier runner at 200 pounds and distributing my weight better.

Hopefully it lasts. 

Flying Razorback

Just bought a new pair of Asics 2160s tonight.  I've been wearing the 2000 series for over a decade now, I think my first pair was the 2030.  Recently I have been looking at the minimalist shoes and just can't seem to pull the trigger.  I grew up a sprinter in track spikes and don't really heel strike much at all with my normal shoes.  Will I gain much by going to a minimalist shoe?
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Guinness Snout

Has anyone tried the vibram 5 finger shoes?  Are they for real or just a fad?

hawgsav1

I used the Asics 2100 series forever, and I used to crosstrain in them as well.  They were pretty good for the most part, but I would occasionally have "bad arch" days, when I had some seriously annoying pains in my arches and in  my achilles.

I recently bought a pair of new balance minimus trail running shoes, and I love them.  First off, I'm a lot faster in them due to the lightness of the shoe.  Also, I don't feel any arch pain while running. 

The only negatives I have is a slight bit of discomfort on the top of my feet, and the bottom of my feet feel a little beat up from the lack of cushioning on gravelly trail runs, but nothing a little massage and rest can't cure.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

hawgrunner

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on December 22, 2011, 10:23:11 pm
Just bought a new pair of Asics 2160s tonight.

I have the 2160's as well, how have they been working our for ya?

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: rock642 on January 05, 2012, 01:04:23 am

Same here.  Best pair of shoes I have ever owned.

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: rock642 on January 05, 2012, 01:04:23 am

I still like them.  I'm just starting to question my running shoe choice because I think I could work in something closer to a racing flat and not have to run with all that weight and cushioning below my feet.  The 2160 feels great, has amazing cushion and support, I just wonder if it's more shoe than I need.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

hawgrunner

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on January 07, 2012, 03:02:29 pm
I still like them.  I'm just starting to question my running shoe choice because I think I could work in something closer to a racing flat and not have to run with all that weight and cushioning below my feet.  The 2160 feels great, has amazing cushion and support, I just wonder if it's more shoe than I need.

When I run in mine I feel the cushion and have no problems for runs under 3 miles but when I do my long runs like 6 or 9 miles. I spend the next 4 to 5 days with my Metatarsal in pain.

Now I have another pair of shoe which are the Mizuno Wave Runner 14's in which I do 5 and 8 mile runs with no issue the next day. Pain is never during the run always after.

kingofdequeen

socks only are pretty minimalist. 

HoggyWayne

Quote from: Guinness Snout on December 23, 2011, 06:58:23 am

Yes, as stated earlier in this thread. I wear Fivefingers 100% of the time when I'm working out (Insanity, P90X, traditional gym workouts) and when I run shorter runs. They "force" me to run more efficiently and I believe it has helped my form. When I wear regular running shoes, I have shin splints and knee pain.

Guinness Snout

TX HOG

Anyone tried the reebok realflex? Seems very light weight...

HoggyWayne

Quote from: TX HOG on January 11, 2012, 03:50:40 pm
Anyone tried the reebok realflex? Seems very light weight...

I have a pair and they're as comfortable as any traditional shoe I've ever worn. I know they're considered minimalist shoes but in my opinion, they don't compare to my five fingers.

I'd recommend them to anyone looking for lightweight but not to someone wanting "minimal."

Cale

Quote from: Guinness Snout on December 23, 2011, 06:58:23 am

I also wear Five Fingers when I work out/run.
I don't know about over the 5 mile mark, but I do know people run Marathons in them. I love running in mine, and except for a good calf workout, i have no pain associated with running in them. not even in my knees, and I have bad knees.
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

Cale

Quote from: rock642 on December 12, 2011, 02:01:13 pm
Wearing Vibram Five Fingers actually helps correct the arch issue. its 100% like walking around barefoot.
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: Cale on January 12, 2012, 09:12:35 am
Wearing Vibram Five Fingers actually helps correct the arch issue. its 100% like walking around barefoot.

Then they are a no go for me.  My metatarsalgia, which has gotten much better since I bought the right pair of shoes, is worse when I  am barefoot.   For a few months there it was almost intolerable.

hawgrunner

Been running in Saucony Triumph 9 and Ride 5 with the 8 mm drop with some good success so far.

OldCoot

December 09, 2012, 06:07:39 pm #22 Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:49:39 pm by Hogbeaver
Metatarsalgia?  Isn't that a fancy name for a stone bruise?  I think the guys who sell arch things are selling you guys a line.  BTW- I bought a pair of Asics when I joined the Army a long time ago and won't wear anything but and that's been over 23 years ago.

twistitup

I heard a doctor on the radio say they were beneficial for runners. Much less impact due to how your foot hits the ground. He said traditional runners cause problems because of heel shock / impact.

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Hudge

Quote from: twistitup on December 09, 2012, 06:40:07 pm
I heard a doctor on the radio say they were beneficial for runners. Much less impact due to how your foot hits the ground. He said traditional runners cause problems because of heel shock / impact.

Quite true. I evidently fractured my heel in two places while deployed and running everyday, and now have heel spurs. Heel spurs hurt like hell! I tried the Saucony's mentioned, and they just wore out too soon. I am back to Ascis Gel Kayano 18's, but am not liking them as much as my Nike's I wore the last two years.

hawgrunner

Quote from: rock642 on December 08, 2012, 02:13:28 am
Been running in Saucony Triumph 9 and Ride 5 with the 8 mm drop with some good success so far.

Well the Ride 5 gave me this today at the Jingle Bell 5K in San Diego this morning...

Time: 20:36
Pace: 6:37/M
Overall Place: 35 of 1053
Age Group: M 40-44
Age Group Place: 5 of 41

OldCoot

Quote from: rock642 on December 15, 2012, 09:14:52 pm
Well the Ride 5 gave me this today at the Jingle Bell 5K in San Diego this morning...

Time: 20:36
Pace: 6:37/M
Overall Place: 35 of 1053
Age Group: M 40-44
Age Group Place: 5 of 41

Over 40 and still running sub 7 minute miles?  I'm impressed.

hawgrunner

Quote from: Hogbeaver on December 15, 2012, 10:51:12 pm
Over 40 and still running sub 7 minute miles?  I'm impressed.

Thanks!

Next is running a 50K!

Pulled(PP)pork

I dont' take care of my feet, so when I started running back on the first of Nov, I was running in my New Balance 473.  Terrible decision entering into the 3rd week and increasing my distance.  Tendonitis shut me down, and quick.  I haven't started back because I know I don't have the right shoes.  I'm not the type of person to spend $100 or more on shoes, and with my extremely flat feet, I know that's what it is going to take.

PP