Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where is Deontre Hardwick headed?

Started by redleg, February 24, 2016, 01:57:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

Deontre Hardwick was one of the better players in-state last year. I don't know for certain, but I heard rumors that he wasn't getting any offers because of low GPA and low test scores.
Two questions.....1. Are the grade rumors true, and, 2. Does anyone know what he will be doing after high school (prep school, Juco, working a job,etc.)?
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

PorkRinds

RazorPiggie

redleg

Quote from: RazorPiggie on February 24, 2016, 02:04:44 pm
Coffeyville CC.
Good place for him! Hopefully he'll get his grades up, because it is my understanding he has SEC caliber talent, and, he REALLY wants to be a Razorback!

RazorPiggie

Quote from: redleg on February 24, 2016, 02:06:35 pm
Good place for him! Hopefully he'll get his grades up, because it is my understanding he has SEC caliber talent, and, he REALLY wants to be a Razorback!

I know he definitely wants to be a Hog.

PorkRinds

Just not bad enough to get his academics in order.  He had all the chances in the world.  To be brutally honest, I'd be shocked if we ever saw him in a hog uniform.  Which sucks, because I've seen him play probably ten games and he was the best player on the field in most of them.  Kid's a stud.  But it seems like he mistakenly thought his skills would make him be able to skirt by on grades like they did in public school.

thebignasty

I had heard it might be hard for him to get into juco, grades were that rough. I'm hopeful he's able to turn it around though, it sounds like he will have the opportunity to do so.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

tophawg19

could it be than he has learning issues ? or maybe he struggles with tests ? whatever it is , hope he solves it and gets his chance at a future
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Birminghog

Everybody has a chance to grow up if they live long enough.

yraciv

Quote from: thebignasty on February 24, 2016, 04:10:58 pm
I had heard it might be hard for him to get into juco, grades were that rough. I'm hopeful he's able to turn it around though, it sounds like he will have the opportunity to do so.

I didn't think JUCO turned anyone down who graduated high school.

PorkRinds

Quote from: yraciv on February 25, 2016, 07:46:51 am
I didn't think JUCO turned anyone down who graduated high school.

They don't....

redleg

Quote from: Birminghog on February 24, 2016, 09:27:50 pm
Everybody has a chance to grow up if they live long enough.
Are you just being philosophical, or is there some hidden meaning concerning Hardwick in what you are saying?

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 24, 2016, 04:47:28 pm
could it be than he has learning issues ? or maybe he struggles with tests ? whatever it is , hope he solves it and gets his chance at a future
I don't have any doubt there are some learning issues at play.  And then people get so frustrated that they almost give up, and then are labeled as lazy.

simon the squealot

In my opinion, he was the best player on the Northside team for the past 3 years, and he played with Daytreon Dean for two of those seasons. I do hope he gets a change to play D1 football.

yraciv

Quote from: simon the squealot on February 25, 2016, 12:51:10 pm
In my opinion, he was the best player on the Northside team for the past 3 years, and he played with Daytreon Dean for two of those seasons. I do hope he gets a change to play D1 football.

I hope he starts succeeding in the classroom first, and then I hope he succeeds on the football field.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 25, 2016, 12:05:31 pm
I don't have any doubt there are some learning issues at play.  And then people get so frustrated that they almost give up, and then are labeled as lazy.

It's very possible to have learning issues AND be lazy. 

Hawg_Thai'd

As I have no idea how school's operate nowadays, what is the policy that most high schools have concerning GPA's and athletic participation? I'm wanting to think that when I was enrolled over 20 years ago, most policies were that the student had to have a 2.0 or better to play sanctioned events. Are the current standards extremely low or are students placed in classes that have no chance for failure and is used to prop up a low GPA just enough so that the stars of the school get to play? The reason I ask is because if a recruit has passed that point of being able to be helped, how are they still able to play on Friday nights?
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hawg_Thai'd on February 25, 2016, 11:26:35 pm
As I have no idea how school's operate nowadays, what is the policy that most high schools have concerning GPA's and athletic participation? I'm wanting to think that when I was enrolled over 20 years ago, most policies were that the student had to have a 2.0 or better to play sanctioned events. Are the current standards extremely low or are students placed in classes that have no chance for failure and is used to prop up a low GPA just enough so that the stars of the school get to play? The reason I ask is because if a recruit has passed that point of being able to be helped, how are they still able to play on Friday nights?
Could be ACT/SAT scores or a school that is willing to push a good player along even if he is not making the grade.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Birminghog

Quote from: redleg on February 25, 2016, 10:52:54 am
Are you just being philosophical, or is there some hidden meaning concerning Hardwick in what you are saying?

Both. Don't know Hardwick, but from comments here, it sounds like he needs to grow up to get serious about his schoolwork. With me, schoolwork was easy, but I went into college 18 going on 16 in terms of emotional maturity. Most of us have one thing or another that is a challenge for us.

Philosophically, I'm an optimist with a twinge of cynicism - that can happen after spending nearly 40 years in education. I am rooting for the kid, just like I root for all young people. Everybody has a chance to grow up if they live long enough. If they never grow up, well, they just didn't live long enough.

If you like that one, here's another one for you. If you don't want to be called one, don't act like one. (Not directed at you, me, or anyone else in particular until they need it).

Birminghog

Quote from: Hawg_Thai'd on February 25, 2016, 11:26:35 pm

GPAs can be manipulated, completely legally, as a result of class grading or lack of rigor. Don't think they aren't. I've seen it happen too many times. It happens in a small minority of cases, but it happens. Good athletes are sometimes cut slack just because they are good athletes. This doesn't happen with outstanding musicians, actors, debaters, science fair winners, etc. If our job as adults is to raise the next crop of good citizens, we are not doing kids a favor when we do this.

Jameis Winston came through one of our schools, and it was generally known that he was cut slack in more ways than one. Okay, he's in the league and makes zillions of dollars. He's the exception. There are a great many more kids who are cut slack because they excel athletically in their own pond and come out of school unable to contribute to society. Sports is important, but we need always to guard against getting the cart before the horse.

As the twig is bent ...

PorkRinds

Quote from: Birminghog on February 26, 2016, 10:10:27 am
GPAs can be manipulated, completely legally, as a result of class grading or lack of rigor. Don't think they aren't. I've seen it happen too many times. It happens in a small minority of cases, but it happens. Good athletes are sometimes cut slack just because they are good athletes. This doesn't happen with outstanding musicians, actors, debaters, science fair winners, etc. If our job as adults is to raise the next crop of good citizens, we are not doing kids a favor when we do this.

Jameis Winston came through one of our schools, and it was generally known that he was cut slack in more ways than one. Okay, he's in the league and makes zillions of dollars. He's the exception. There are a great many more kids who are cut slack because they excel athletically in their own pond and come out of school unable to contribute to society. Sports is important, but we need always to guard against getting the cart before the horse.

As the twig is bent ...

IIRC, Winston had offers from prestigious institutions.  Stanford being the one I remember specifically.  I doubt he'd get a Stanford offer if he wasn't a sharp guy with good academics.