Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RECRUITING

Started by gullster, February 20, 2016, 06:44:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gullster

I know recruiting matters but this stars thing is so misleading. 2012 university of texas class was ranked #2. They are sending a busload to the combine, that would be 1 player. You have to recruit good players but development is just as important. I think we have 4 or five going, yes I know Collins was a 5 star, henry 4 star, tretola maybe a 3 star. Just a opinion. Back to the texas class, 15 4 stars 2 five stars. Malcom brown did leave early and is with patriots, but that's horrible with those kind of numbers.

lumphog

Star gazers are Blinded By The Light........YOU are right!!!!

RazorbackToTheFuture

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

bell2629

Praise the Lard!

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

pigroots

It is easier to develop kids with the greatest talent and work ethic..... both are important

The_Boot_stops_here

Uncommon

Torqued pork

Dang, another RECRUITING thread.

Razorbax

:)
Quote from: Torqued pork on February 21, 2016, 08:07:43 am
Dang, another RECRUITING thread.

In a recruiting forum.....Who would have thunked it?   ;D

Ragnar Hogbrok

RECRUITING RECRUITS BY RECRUITERS DURING RECRUITING SEASON COVERED BY RECRUITING REPORTERS AND POSTED IN THE RECRUITING FORUM.

RECRUITING

Now the word just looks weird.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

MuskogeeHogFan

February 21, 2016, 08:58:57 am #12 Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 02:06:27 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: gullster on February 20, 2016, 06:44:21 pm
I know recruiting matters but this stars thing is so misleading. 2012 university of texas class was ranked #2. They are sending a busload to the combine, that would be 1 player. You have to recruit good players but development is just as important. I think we have 4 or five going, yes I know Collins was a 5 star, henry 4 star, tretola maybe a 3 star. Just a opinion. Back to the texas class, 15 4 stars 2 five stars. Malcom brown did leave early and is with patriots, but that's horrible with those kind of numbers.

From the 2007-2013 recruiting classes there were 484 players drafted in the first three rounds of the 2011-2015 NFL Draft.

56 of those were former 5 star players (out of an original 195). 11.6% of all players drafted were former 5 stars.

168 of those were former 4 star players (out of an original 1969). 34.7% of all player drafted were former 4 stars.

171 of those were former 3 star players (out of an original 4099). 35.3% of all player drafted were former 3 stars.

There were also 60 former 2 star players drafted and 29 former 0 star players drafted.

Over that period of time you had a total of 195 former 5 stars and 28.7% of them (56) went in the first three rounds.

4 stars-168 drafted, 1969 total, 8.5% of original total went in the first three rounds.

3 stars-171 drafted, 4099 total, 4.2% of the original total went in the first three rounds.

So the bottom line is that while stars do seem to matter, they only matter to a certain extent. The program in which they play, the staff they have to develop them and the attitude and drive of the player also play a major role in how good a player turns out to be in the long run.
Go Hogs Go!

hawgwild child

ICEman

I'm revved up like a deuce for croot'n.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

HogNDas

Quote from: gullster on February 20, 2016, 06:44:21 pm
Texas is the exception to the rule...stars DO matter.  Bama is proof!....They recruit hard and it shows with NC's!!!

GaryHog

Are we done for this year signing wise?  Haven't really seen anything on that lately. Earlier people were saying we weren't  done.
Make America Great Again!!!!!!!

hammer66

Quote from: HogNDas on February 22, 2016, 07:55:11 pm
Texas is the exception to the rule...stars DO matter.  Bama is proof!....They recruit hard and it shows with NC's!!!

This is true.
And how many other universities are equal to Bama? Answer is none
All universities are chasing Bama, they do not have an equal at this time. I'm sure it will change in time but it is what it is at this time.
I find it comical that some of our fans are upset we can't do what Bama is doing, well, no other university is at their level either. Some are closer than others but everyone is behind the 8 ball where Bama is concerned
IMO, a more realistic goal for us is Michigan St.