Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reggie Mitchell New RB Coach

Started by Hawg Life, February 12, 2016, 11:34:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SemperFi

I feel like we're getting a guy that knows how to roll up his sleeves and work. His ability to evaluate kids has got to be off the charts. You can truly appreciate a guy that can recruit to a school like Kansas. They are the doormat of the Big 12, have no tradition to speak of, fan support is lackluster, facilities I can only imagine are probably on par with a mid-major program and yet he convinces kids to attend there.

Welcome to The Hill Coach Mitchell and to Razorback Nation. WPS!
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

PorkSoda

Quote from: Wildhog on February 12, 2016, 12:05:16 pm
Major upgrade.  CBB finally hired a recruiter.
what makes you think that? Kansas isnt exactly a recruiting powerhouse and are a bottom of the barrel Big 12 team
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: secneahog on February 12, 2016, 05:47:09 pm
He coached Rashard Mendenhall in college. That guy was a beast. Mr. Mitchell has tons of experience.
Danny Nutt coached Darren McFadden
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 12, 2016, 06:33:14 pm
what makes you think that? Kansas isnt exactly a recruiting powerhouse and are a bottom of the barrel Big 12 team

Because he's signed a ton of kids with better offers to Kansas, Illinois and Michigan State.  He's got a rep as a great recruiter.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkSoda

well, CBB seems to have a pretty good feel for what he wants in a coach, so I'm sure he will do fine.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 12, 2016, 06:49:32 pm
well, CBB seems to have a pretty good feel for what he wants in a coach, so I'm sure he will do fine.

This is the first guy he's hired since Pittman that really had a reputation as a great recruiter.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 12, 2016, 06:38:32 pm
Well in that particular instance Dmc proved that talent can indeed overcome coaching.

HOGINTENNESSEE

2006 top 20 recruiter Nationally according to Rivals. Ranked top 5 recruiter in the Big 10 in 2007 by rivals. Ranked a top 10 Big 10 recruiter in 2009 by rivals (along with Enos) and ranked as a top 10 Big 12 recruiter by Rivals in 2011.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 12, 2016, 06:38:32 pm

He has also coached Pierre Thomas, Mikel Leshoure and TJ Duckett who all went to the NFL as well.

tophawg19

looks like we are going to attack the big ten area for recruits . all our new hires have northern ties . Lots of good linemen and especially LB's come from that area . looks like St Louis , Kansas city and Chicago have become big target areas for us
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

jjdlc

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 12, 2016, 07:34:55 pm
looks like we are going to attack the big ten area for recruits . all our new hires have northern ties . Lots of good linemen and especially LB's come from that area . looks like St Louis , Kansas city and Chicago have become big target areas for us

He has some northern ties, but his primary focus has been in Texas.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: jjdlc on February 12, 2016, 08:01:08 pm
He has some northern ties, but his primary focus has been in Texas.

At Kansas yes. But at MSU and Illinois he was mainly Midwest

Hawghiggs

If Coach Mitchell can get us Illinois and Kansas city area. Then we might actually start seeing top 20 recruiting classes.

TexHog188

Bielema has a good eye for coaching talent, so I'll say WooPig and pass the popcorn.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 12, 2016, 04:22:09 pm
Bret's recent hires infer that he may intend for Arkansas to pursue low hanging fruit in northern states.  If a recruit in Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Illinois or wherever is worthy of an SEC offer, then they may be more inclined to accept an Arkansas offer than some of the players down south in Texas or south Louisiana.

This may be very wise.

I have thought the same thing for awhile but our recruiting efforts disagree. It also is not a wise move at all.

We'd become Purdue trying to compete in the baddest division college football has ever seen. Then toss the rampant cheating that is happening at Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss and to a degree LSU and Texas A&M.  We'd never see a 9 win season again.

Hogville's resident uniform designer.

LJHOG

tophawg19

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on February 12, 2016, 10:51:14 pm
I have thought the same thing for awhile but our recruiting efforts disagree. It also is not a wise move at all.

We'd become Purdue trying to compete in the baddest division college football has ever seen. Then toss the rampant cheating that is happening at Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss and to a degree LSU and Texas A&M.  We'd never see a 9 win season again.

SMH there are players in the north that are as good as any in the south. There are even good players in California , who knew . We are looking to take a more aggressive group in the north . Enos , Mitchell , Anderson , and CBB All have strong ties to that region . Pennsylvania has always produced good big, mean LB'S and that region tends to produce some very good linemen . Areas of need for us . Arkansas seems to produce lots of skill players but LB's are always needed . It does seem like Arkansas is starting to produce some high level Dlinemen lately

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 13, 2016, 10:19:26 am
SMH there are players in the north that are as good as any in the south. There are even good players in California , who knew . We are looking to take a more aggressive group in the north . Enos , Mitchell , Anderson , and CBB All have strong ties to that region . Pennsylvania has always produced good big, mean LB'S and that region tends to produce some very good linemen . Areas of need for us . Arkansas seems to produce lots of skill players but LB's are always needed . It does seem like Arkansas is starting to produce some high level Dlinemen lately
I agree with the go north for LBs and OLs theory. Get it done, men.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

rzrbk4life

Welcome aboard coach Mitchell. WPS!
Let's call those hogs!!!!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on February 13, 2016, 10:59:41 am
I agree with the go north for LBs and OLs theory. Get it done, men.
Frankly I could care less from where they come. I just want them on the Hill!! ;D

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 13, 2016, 10:19:26 am
This article supports your theory.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2015/4/15/8143431/states-most-players-recruits

Hawghiggs

sickboy

Quote from: Hawghiggs on February 13, 2016, 01:12:23 pm
That map shows the truth.  That we need to recruit Kansas and  Missouri more

The map does not show that.

opineonswine

Vantage 8 dude

Bret's recent hires infer that he may intend for Arkansas to pursue low hanging fruit in northern states.  If a recruit in Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Illinois or wherever is worthy of an SEC offer, then they may be more inclined to accept an Arkansas offer than some of the players down south in Texas or south Louisiana.

This may be very wise.
Low hanging fruit? Is that coaching equivalency of the grammatical term "dangling participial" ??? Nice.

scruf

This may be very wise.

lol, derp much?

Hawghiggs

Quote from: sickboy on February 13, 2016, 01:39:02 pm
The map does not show that.
The map shows that the state of Missouri is producing 20 plus 3 star recruits each year and Kansas is producing 5-10. Missouri only has one FBS program. So why shouldn't we be recruiting that area more?

Arthur pigby sellers.

I am pretty sure he was in charge of recruiting the Dallas-Fort Worth region as well as Missouri at Kansas.  He could probably do the same here. He could recruit North Texas and Missouri which are areas we need to hit hard anyway.

Bebop

Quote from: Hawghiggs on February 13, 2016, 03:57:07 pm
The map shows that the state of Missouri is producing 20 plus 3 star recruits each year and Kansas is producing 5-10. Missouri only has one FBS program. So why shouldn't we be recruiting that area more?

I bet we can pull a handful of good players between K.C. and St. Louis alone.

tophawg19

kansas has some great Juco kids too . this should help there

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 13, 2016, 03:02:23 pm
That is a definite imagery failure.
Not if you know what it is showing.  It isn't showing total recruits.  It is showing division 1 recruits per division one programs. It means that there are more 3+ recruits than the local programs can handle.

SamBuckhart

BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

FraggleHog

Come on, Pork... See the forest through the trees!
Calling the Hogs from DFW

jackflash

Like this hire lets see what he can do.

PorkSoda

Quote from: FraggleHog on February 16, 2016, 09:11:49 am
Come on, Pork... See the forest through the trees!
I was just curious.  I haven't done a lot of research on the guy, so was wondering what he was basing his assessment on.

hogville has a way of naming someone the best ever right up until the time they leave, and then they are the worst ever and the new guy is now the best ever.

Wildhog

Research.
1909/1964/1965/1977

sickboy

Quote from: Hawghiggs on February 13, 2016, 03:57:07 pm

Just because there is quantity doesn't denote quality. This map is simply showing the path of least resistance to signing kids. And just because some of these smaller states like Missouri have less competition in state for the talent, doesn't mean the talent is on par with talent in other states.

There are a litany of reasons why you don't see big schools coming into Missouri and raiding all that talent. It's because it doesn't produce like Texas, Florida and Louisiana recruiting.

If you're spending your time building inroads to a high school program... why on Earth would you build a pipeline to school that puts out 3 and 2 star talent yearly, that may or may not pan out, vs a school in Texas that pumps out 3 star talent every year, but also with the frequent 4* and infrequent 5* talent?

For the umpteenth time -- we do fine in Missouri and Kansas and put exactly the amount of time there it deserves. That's why we have a few kids from those states on our roster.

bkjbearcat

Interesting take from former KC Chiefs Tim Grunhard on the new Hog RB coach. Coached with him a few years at KU.

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=26&c=373&f=5263243
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Wildhog

Quote from: bkjbearcat on February 16, 2016, 02:50:43 pm
Interesting take from former KC Chiefs Tim Grunhard on the new Hog RB coach. Coached with him a few years at KU.

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=26&c=373&f=5263243

Mitchell talk starts around the 7:30 mark
1909/1964/1965/1977

logand02

Richard Davenport

A parent of a former Hog called me out of the blue and was just raving about Reggie. He recruited his son and the kid almost signed with Reggie.

He talked non-stop for 20 minutes. He said he could sell you a broken down car and you would've thought you bought a million dollar one.

TrueBlue

Quote from: Richard Davenport on February 16, 2016, 03:17:39 pm
A parent of a former Hog called me out of the blue and was just raving about Reggie. He recruited his son and the kid almost signed with Reggie.

He talked non-stop for 20 minutes. He said he could sell you a broken down car and you would've thought you bought a million dollar one.

This along with what Dave Campo was saying has me excited about this hire!

jgphillips3

Quote from: Richard Davenport on February 16, 2016, 03:17:39 pm

Did I read that Coach Mitchell has ties in the Dallas Metroplex in addition to other areas?  If so, along with Coach Jennings putting in work, we ought to start gobbling up a few extra DFW kids.

PorkRinds

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 16, 2016, 03:49:15 pm
Did I read that Coach Mitchell has ties in the Dallas Metroplex in addition to other areas?  If so, along with Coach Jennings putting in work, we ought to start gobbling up a few extra DFW kids.

If Jennngs isn't working for Texas instead of us...

JackJohnson

I would say that while yes Mitchell has ties to DFW,  where he will really be able to help us the most is in KC, STL and Chi.  Completely fine with him recruiting in DFW, but we won't be getting our best return on investment/bang for our buck unless we allow him to hit those other 3 areas in full force in addition to DFW

Richard Davenport

He has recruited the DFW area.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Richard Davenport on February 16, 2016, 06:26:04 pm
He has recruited the DFW area.

Thanks RD.  I think we got a great coach.  Can't wait to see NSD roll around next year.

Hoggish1

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 12, 2016, 12:32:58 pm
At the very least he is someone who will likely stick around, provide some stability.  At most, maybe he turns out to be exactly what we've been looking for/needing

You are exactly right. This coach has been at places and not jumped around. He seems to be a  very hard worker!