Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I've been hearing some reasons for our late recruiting slump (they say)

Started by pigskenG, February 05, 2016, 02:02:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigskenG

Sorry for my rambling and correct me if I'm wrong, but

why do we have to win 10 - 11 games a year for the top rated high school players to notice and want to play for the
razorbacks?  Is there any college sports fan in the SEC, Big12, Big10, PAC10, that does not recognize Coach Bret Bielema and the Razorback name? Aren't there other teams with similar records to ours that end up in the top 15 in recruiting ? If they don't recognize us in football, (where we will probably have an NFL first round pick), how about basketball (where we recently had a 1st round pick), baseball (where we recently had a first round pick), track and field (where we own several national titles). Famous coaching and business alumni; Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer. So why do people talk about the Razorbacks like we are almost unknowns ?  Is our promoting a family atmosphere and showing how we will help the young man get a degree too much over "you'll have lots of fun and we'll get you to the NFL in three years ?" I realize there are some kids that just want to go with 'a winner', some want to stay in state (that's ok with me), but I do think there's too much media chasing these guys around giving them stars, giving them interviews, placing them on national all star teams. It seems like were telling the kids they are football gods and some let it go to their heads. You have to hear them speak or interview them to see if they are level headed.(which I think our recruits are).

TX HOG

I posted this earlier

Kids don't view is as a successful program. I'm in education. Granted I'm in Texas, but kids think Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, Texas, aTm are "cool" schools. They seem to have a "swagger" appeal to Texas kids. Arkansas is somewhat viewed as a small poor school. I think coach B knows this and is trying to change it by getting on TV as much as possible. Once we start winning I think kids will learn more about our program and we'll be viewed as a "cool"

ICEman

"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Potosihog

An ego comes with all the accolades for most.  This is one of the reasons CBB has adopted the #uncommon mantra.  His comments this week about egos and hat selections will hurt with some.   Charlie Strong said "I don't care what you do as long as you choose Texas".  I assume that was probably a response to CBB.

The prima donna's are many times the highest rated players.  Not always, but yes more times than not. We got some very highly rated players this year who were different.  A couple that we missed on imo were different as well.  They just chose to play somewhere else.

CBB is banking on finding enough young men who are willing to give up some of the "its all about me" mentality to be different, uncommon.  If he is right he will build a very strong and program where we, as hog fans, will enjoy lots of wins and a consistently reliable team.  Teams made up of players who put the team first instead of looking for personal accolades will be strong teams.

IF, on the other hand he is wrong.......... IF this society has turned to an irreversible landslide toward "me first"..........IF he can't field a strong 2 and 3 deep team with #uncommon young men who have the athletic ability to run faster and stronger.....then his experiment will fail and we will move on to another coach.

I for one believe it will work.  It will likely take longer and require patience.  You might say it will require #uncommon fans!

TX HOG

JusJim

Your "title" has nothing to do with what you said. 

Arkansas doesn't have a big enough recruiting base, and most recruits stay "somewhat" close to home.  The Schools that can get the "star" players from other states, are the Schools that have long time proven winning records and championships.

Of course there are exceptions to everything I said, but not that many.

ricepig

The Great Hambino

Quote from: JusJim on February 05, 2016, 03:05:58 pm
Your "title" has nothing to do with what you said. 

Arkansas doesn't have a big enough recruiting base, and most recruits stay "somewhat" close to home.  The Schools that can get the "star" players from other states, are the Schools that have long time proven winning records and championships.

Of course there are exceptions to everything I said, but not that many.

Exactly. I seriously came here wanting a discussion or thought about what the title said, and then I read that entire somewhat rambling statement, and really enjoyed it and the discussion that came after. It just had nothing to do with the title.

GoHogzzGo

Things holding us back. Typing this with out of state kids in mind as we seem to do great with highly ranked instate.

UA Disadvantages
-Not located near major metros
-Not located in recruiting hot bed
-Arkansas associated as a poor state
-Not a recent history of winning
-No SEC titles
-No Nat Champs recent
-Kids don't know Frank Broyles and maybe Jimmy Johnson
-Stadium under 100k capacity
-Not a national brand

UA Advantages
-Just under first tier facilities
-Big money boosters
-High quality character reputation
-Fun coach and play style
-Some recent success including Sugar bowl entry
-The Ozarks if that is your style
-Close-ish to Louisiana, Dallas, St Louis, Tulsa, Memphis
-Nice campus
-Nice stadium
-Getting multiple players into draft

Feel free to add in sure I missed a bunch.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Iamjacksleftnutt

I'm happy with our class. I don't see a slump. We took some big swings late and missed. Thats not a slump. CBB is going to have a great walk on program and a redshirt program that is second to none. And we are going to be there. If we can get a QB ready to go in time for this season to start we are going to see it sooner than most on here think.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: Iamjacksleftnutt on February 05, 2016, 04:09:32 pm
I'm happy with our class. I don't see a slump. We took some big swings late and missed. Thats not a slump. CBB is going to have a great walk on program and a redshirt program that is second to none. And we are going to be there. If we can get a QB ready to go in time for this season to start we are going to see it sooner than most on here think.

Completely agreed

1highhog

Quote from: ICEman on February 05, 2016, 02:19:36 pm
I think we should win 10 - 12 games per annum.

A downright stupid thought unless said tongue in cheek.  How many schools in the SEC go 10-12 games a year?  Let's at first discount the East Champions for the last few years because the East has sucked.  The West is where it's at and guess what, that's where we are and let's face it, year in and out, we have one of the toughest schedules nation wide.  Last year our Schedule was ranked the 3rd hardest schedule in all of College Football.  We were a few missed plays from a 10-11 game winning season.  That's just the way it goes.

It's the same with our basketball team, they could easily have another 6 games in the winning column except for a few mistakes, or the shafting they got in Florida Wednesday.  It's just the way it is.

Next year to me is going to be tough.  I actually think we'll be okay at QB, even though I'll miss the play of BA the latter part of this past Season, he really came into his own finally.  But I think we finally have a capable QB Coach in Enos.  The Oline is a ? mark to me right now as is RB, I think we'll be fine at receiver.  Our Dline should be okay, our linebacker core should be improved, how much remains to be seen, I still worry about that spot and will until I see in game results.  Defensive backs and safety play concern me as well, will we get burnt over and over again like last year against the like of spread teams?  Can we finally get over the hump known as A/M?  Can we get the monkey off our back and get Bama finally with them coming to our house?  We're going to need to do it with a bunch of question marks needing answered this spring and fall on this years team.

jgphillips3

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 05, 2016, 04:33:32 pm
I think you are missing the biggers picture...
The "biggers picture". First of all, what is that ??? Secondly, if you mean bigger picture what would that picture be exactly?

longpig

Quote from: 1highhog on February 05, 2016, 04:27:04 pm
A downright stupid thought unless said tongue in cheek.  How many schools in the SEC go 10-12 games a year?  Let's at first discount the East Champions for the last few years because the East has sucked.  The West is where it's at and guess what, that's where we are and let's face it, year in and out, we have one of the toughest schedules nation wide.  Last year our Schedule was ranked the 3rd hardest schedule in all of College Football.  We were a few missed plays from a 10-11 game winning season.  That's just the way it goes.

It's the same with our basketball team, they could easily have another 6 games in the winning column except for a few mistakes, or the shafting they got in Florida Wednesday.  It's just the way it is.

Next year to me is going to be tough.  I actually think we'll be okay at QB, even though I'll miss the play of BA the latter part of this past Season, he really came into his own finally.  But I think we finally have a capable QB Coach in Enos.  The Oline is a ? mark to me right now as is RB, I think we'll be fine at receiver.  Our Dline should be okay, our linebacker core should be improved, how much remains to be seen, I still worry about that spot and will until I see in game results.  Defensive backs and safety play concern me as well, will we get burnt over and over again like last year against the like of spread teams?  Can we finally get over the hump known as A/M?  Can we get the monkey off our back and get Bama finally with them coming to our house?  We're going to need to do it with a bunch of question marks needing answered this spring and fall on this years team.

SEC is by far the most horrible basketball conference in the land, always has been even in years an SEC team wins a NC.  Arkansas should go to the big dance every year.
Don't be scared, be smart.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Potosihog on February 05, 2016, 02:21:22 pm
An ego comes with all the accolades for most.  This is one of the reasons CBB has adopted the #uncommon mantra.  His comments this week about egos and hat selections will hurt with some.   Charlie Strong said "I don't care what you do as long as you choose Texas".  I assume that was probably a response to CBB.

The prima donna's are many times the highest rated players.  Not always, but yes more times than not. We got some very highly rated players this year who were different.  A couple that we missed on imo were different as well.  They just chose to play somewhere else.

CBB is banking on finding enough young men who are willing to give up some of the "its all about me" mentality to be different, uncommon.  If he is right he will build a very strong and program where we, as hog fans, will enjoy lots of wins and a consistently reliable team.  Teams made up of players who put the team first instead of looking for personal accolades will be strong teams.

IF, on the other hand he is wrong.......... IF this society has turned to an irreversible landslide toward "me first"..........IF he can't field a strong 2 and 3 deep team with #uncommon young men who have the athletic ability to run faster and stronger.....then his experiment will fail and we will move on to another coach.

I for one believe it will work.  It will likely take longer and require patience.  You might say it will require #uncommon fans!
Good post.  It's funny when I hear the 80's referred to as the "me" generation.  Every generation since then has become more and more "me" than the one before it.  It happens over and over again in sports and a lot of it is due to the emphasis and media coverage of sports and entertainment.  How many times do you see a guy score a TD and then preen to the crowd vs celebrating with his teammates?  It's a team sport but all the attention to individuals has changed the way all the players behave and react.  And I don't think that will ever change as media coverage is more and more. I think it was Tommy Lasorda who said "you play for name on the front of the jersey, not the back".   I'm glad BB has set the "uncommon" standard and his recruiting of high integrity, well behaved players is just what i like to see.  I hope he can succeed enough to take us the promised land of competing for SEC and maybe national championships.  Time will tell. 

Hog Diddy

Rome was not built in a day. CBB has a long term contract for a reason!!!! With all the "Motorcycle" incident and a year of  Slappy as coach we hit rock bottom in all facets of FBS respect. Just look at each years progression!! We ARE HEADING THE RIGHT DIRECTION!!! It might not be as fast as some might hope but we are!!! Look at some of these big time recruits we were in on. Have we ever attempted to recruit this many top players before and actually got them in for a visitation? Some of these recruits were on the edge to sign with us! We will start landing these kids if we keep our projection pointing up!!! CBB was in everyone's living room on SEC network for the championship game!!!! Not Les,Butch,Gus or anyone else!!! He is getting our name and brand out there!!! We will have a great 2017 class!!! I personally believe we have an outstanding class this year!!!

snoblind

I guess times/kids change.  When I was 18 knowing that by going to school at Fayetteville I was less than an hour from putting the canoe in on the Buffalo, Mulberry, or Frog Bayou not to mention opening a cold beer on a bluff at White Rock or dunking a worm below Beaver Dam on the White made going to the UofA a no brainer.

Seems like our best option these days is

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 05, 2016, 05:34:45 pm
The "biggers picture". First of all, what is that ??? Secondly, if you mean bigger picture what would that picture be exactly?

He lives on!  10-12 years later.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

xxtomassxx1980

Ditto 100%.

Hawghiggs

IMHO.  When it comes to recruiting. This is what we should be getting every year.

1, Arkansas    4-8 recruits
2, Louisiana    5-8 recruits
3, Texas         5-8 recruits
4, Oklahoma   1-2 recruits
5, Missouri      2-3 recruits
6, Kansas       1-3 recruits
7, Iowa          1-2 recruits
8, Illinois        1-2 recruits

hawg IQ

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on February 05, 2016, 03:47:59 pm
Things holding us back. Typing this with out of state kids in mind as we seem to do great with highly ranked instate.

UA Disadvantages
-No SEC titles
-No Nat Champs recent
-Not a national brand

UA Advantages
-Big money boosters
-Nice campus
-Nice stadium
-Getting multiple players into draft and

will add and/or disagree on some of your points. less than 100 k stadium- with tv/sec package, our stadium big enough. add- we don't pay kids to come here- others do ( you have to recruit against that ) add- HS player pool in state not as large as other sec states.

The rest of my comments becomes just opinions...Research recruiting from a-z here- seek out what appeals to hs athletes- upgrade or improve recruiting style. Keep hiring coaches that can recruit.
we cannot affords misses. and lastly, wait until program is constantly winning before raising ticket prices (what a turn off that bs is) its like sec revenue is so low we have to raise prices, c'mon J long !?
go hogs go !

hogsfan31

Agree

opineonswine

Quote from: TX HOG on February 05, 2016, 02:12:21 pm
I posted this earlier

Kids don't view is as a successful program. I'm in education. Granted I'm in Texas, but kids think Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, Texas, aTm are "cool" schools. They seem to have a "swagger" appeal to Texas kids. Arkansas is somewhat viewed as a small poor school. I think coach B knows this and is trying to change it by getting on TV as much as possible. Once we start winning I think kids will learn more about our program and we'll be viewed as a "cool"

The interesting thing is the University has done a terrific job at recruiting students from Texas.  It seems like about 1 in 3 license plates on campus are Texas.  I don't have the exact enrollment numbers by state but Texas is surely second only to Arkansas in student population and I believe it's in the thousands not the hundreds.

texhog22

Quote from: 1highhog on February 05, 2016, 04:27:04 pm

Man you said it. We DO have to put together some 10 win seasons! we have to! You yourself just said for the last 2 years  we have been just a couple plays away from doing just that. We should have beat Texas A&M, Toledo, and Miss State and in all honesty we SHOULD have beat Texas Tech. That's a 12 win season. We have to quit stumbling and win these games. We weren't READY at seasons start (same as last season) I think Coach BB is learning how the SEC works and will get things corrected

texhog22

We need to win at least 8 or 9 games this upcoming season. What I'm saying is we need to exceed expectations to set the stage for the next three or four seasons. Going to be a tall order without BA and AC, and JW. BA will be the toughest to replace but I have confidence in little bro

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: hawg IQ on February 06, 2016, 06:47:11 am
will add and/or disagree on some of your points. less than 100 k stadium- with tv/sec package, our stadium big enough. add- we don't pay kids to come here- others do ( you have to recruit against that ) add- HS player pool in state not as large as other sec states.

The rest of my comments becomes just opinions...Research recruiting from a-z here- seek out what appeals to hs athletes- upgrade or improve recruiting style. Keep hiring coaches that can recruit.
we cannot affords misses. and lastly, wait until program is constantly winning before raising ticket prices (what a turn off that bs is) its like sec revenue is so low we have to raise prices, c'mon J long !?

Yeah I almost left off the 100k thing but I heard one the national recruiting "experts" mention it on Bo. Makes sense that Bryant Denny or Death Valley is a bit more exciting. And in the same sense we have an advantage over Vaught Hemmingway and Davis Wade. They are smaller, not quite as nice. Although I know Davis Wade just got upgraded to be a mini razorback stadium.

Can't wait to see our expansion as well.

Agreed on not being be a program that pays recruits haha. And needing coaches that can recruit. Tough balance between great position coaches and also being good recruiters. But if we are paying top dollar it seems a fair expectation.

LRHawg

Quote from: snoblind on February 05, 2016, 11:39:48 pm
I guess times/kids change.  When I was 18 knowing that by going to school at Fayetteville I was less than an hour from putting the canoe in on the Buffalo, Mulberry, or Frog Bayou not to mention opening a cold beer on a bluff at White Rock or dunking a worm below Beaver Dam on the White made going to the UofA a no brainer.

Seems like our best option these days is

Amen. Worked for me too.

rwspear

a slump compared to what? alabama and lsu? we had a top-25 class which is business as usual for Arkansas.

JoePaul03

Quote from: opineonswine on February 06, 2016, 10:05:46 am
The interesting thing is the University has done a terrific job at recruiting students from Texas.  It seems like about 1 in 3 license plates on campus are Texas.  I don't have the exact enrollment numbers by state but Texas is surely second only to Arkansas in student population and I believe it's in the thousands not the hundreds.

I live in Fort Worth and there A) tons of alumni down here and B) about a thousand cars with those "Razorback Mom" or "Razorback Parents" stickers on their cars/trucks.
WCOB, 2003

Birminghog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 05, 2016, 05:34:45 pm

Go to Jump Ball and search for Ray Biggers, thus the "biggers picture". 10-12 will become evident.

nwahogfan1

I think it is simply because we went after some very high profile kids who had 5 great schools recruiting them.   I think we ending up 2nd on several of these kids and if something happens where they are maybe some will transfer over. 

I am very happy that we at least got these kids to visit.  Maybe next year we can close on a few more. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: TX HOG on February 05, 2016, 02:12:21 pm
I posted this earlier

Maintaining and growing your brand is like working out. It's easier to lose what you work for than gain. Most of the brand growth that occurred under Petrino was wiped out by John L and CBB. You would think that our top 5 and top 10 finishes were decades ago instead just 5 and 6 years ago.

wildhogman

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 08, 2016, 10:05:00 am
Maintaining and growing your brand is like working out. It's easier to lose what you work for than gain. Most of the brand growth that occurred under Petrino was wiped out by John L and CBB. You would think that our top 5 and top 10 finishes were decades ago instead just 5 and 6 years ago.
you can add petrino's name to the list that helped wipe out his own legacy. And add CBB to the list that's regrowing the brand. But doing it in a slow steady approach that will be maintained.
Ofcourse we could go get a clone of one of the hot coaches and pop him in the old microwave and have instant dinners. Take care though, over cook or under cook that clone and he will be raw, or flame out.  Changing coaches is always a gamble. I don't understand why people are so eager to do it.
In Nascar if a ford wins a race, you don't see all the other race teams suddenly switch to ford. No they tweak their own cars and try to win the next one.

DeltaBoy

We stubbled out of the gate last year and the year before had a stumble the year before with another loss to TAMU.  We got to start strong and not have any more 3 game losing streaks.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawg IQ

Quote from: wildhogman on February 08, 2016, 10:40:40 am
you can add petrino's name to the list that helped wipe out his own legacy. And add CBB to the list that's regrowing the brand. But doing it in a slow steady approach that will be maintained.
Ofcourse we could go get a clone of one of the hot coaches and pop him in the old microwave and have instant dinners. Take care though, over cook or under cook that clone and he will be raw, or flame out.  Changing coaches is always a gamble. I don't understand why people are so eager to do it.
In Nascar if a ford wins a race, you don't see all the other race teams suddenly switch to ford. No they tweak their own cars and try to win the next one.
Blaming Petrino for recruiting woes(if there are any) Is like liberals still blaming Bush- more than lame ! BB is getting it done, but its changing the thought process on todays HS kids. They expect spread offense coming into college..
  BB has the run first offensive plan going, Enos is changing that some. But a big reason WR's picking other schools, same thing with DB's.
go hogs go !

HotlantaHog

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on February 05, 2016, 03:47:59 pm

UA Disadvantages
-No SEC titles
-No Nat Champs recent
-Not a national brand

UA Advantages
-Big money boosters
-Nice campus
-Nice stadium
-Getting multiple players into draft

I think this is a very good list.

The only thing I might add would be a seemingly very high quality coaching staff from top to bottom, which is critical in recruiting since the recruits deal mostly with position coaches or coordinators.

And only thing I would disagree with is ''fun play style'' -- I don't think the play style is perceived to be an advantage compared to say run-and-gun offenses like TCU or Baylor or spread teams like Auburn. I am not criticizing the offense mind you, as it has done very well -- just don't think the style is an obvious attraction to recruits.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Potosihog on February 05, 2016, 02:21:22 pm

See, I'm different.  if we  can't do it the right way, then I don't care if we ever do it.  we have to have a respectable program first, then the wins will come.  if we sell our soul, we will end up like auburn, with no respect AND getting whooped regularly.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 09, 2016, 12:44:18 pm
See, I'm different.  if we  can't do it the right way, then I don't care if we ever do it.  we have to have a respectable program first, then the wins will come.  if we sell our soul, we will end up like auburn, with no respect AND getting whooped regularly.

I just want to win.  Don't care how we do it.

And AU's just a few years removed from a national title and another national championship appearance, so I'm not sure I'd be looking down my nose at them.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Wildhog on February 09, 2016, 12:45:40 pm
I just want to win.  Don't care how we do it.

And AU's just a few years removed from a national title and another national championship appearance, so I'm not sure I'd be looking down my nose at them.

I will always look down my nose at dirty programs with low character leadership.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.