Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Texas Recruiting Tactic . . .

Started by TeufelHog, February 04, 2016, 06:46:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TeufelHog

Anyone think Charlie Strong prompted/planted Cuffee to do the Texas recruiting-flipping efforts while he was on his Arkansas official visit?  Think his "butt-hurt" was that strong after the Texas Bowl loss and the "Horns Down"/"Semi-Erotic" episodes by CBB?

factchecker

Quote from: TeufelHog on February 04, 2016, 06:46:26 pm
Anyone think Charlie Strong prompted/planted Cuffee to do the Texas recruiting-flipping efforts while he was on his Arkansas official visit?  Think his "butt-hurt" was that strong after the Texas Bowl loss and the "Horns Down"/"Semi-Erotic" episodes by CBB?

He did it to AnM with McCulloch.  Sumlin cancled Cuffee's visit b/c of this mess.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Oliver

Strong recruited like his job depended on it.  Probably not too far from the truth

Smokehouse

Quote from: factchecker on February 04, 2016, 06:55:07 pm
http://www.expressnews.com/sports/columnists/mike_finger/article/Strong-s-gamble-led-to-big-recruiting-finish-6805177.php?t=b069fdb73ea2c336e3&cmpid=twitter-premium

Some of this seems like post-hoc justification to me. "Yeah, not only did we have a great class, but I totally didn't want any of them to commit earlier than they did! Everything we did was right!"

Maybe there's some truth to it, but I think it's more likely they targeted a bunch of highly ranked kids who were likely to want to wait until signing day anyway, and happened to do a great job landing a large number of them.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

longpig

Well played Cholly, only thing that would make me happier is if it was somewhere not in the state of Texas.
Don't be scared, be smart.

factchecker

It's part of the game.  As a Razorback fan, I'm gonna be pissed if we're on the short end of the stick due to "underhanded" tactics.  However, you best believe I would be happy if we get a 5 star kid to hide his commitment and flip to us on signing day leaving ol' swamp donkey (or any other coach) empty handed.

I just want the Razorbacks to win.  That's why I don't get the whole "support Strong gang".  He doesn't want us to be successful.  He recruits against us.  I don't care if he's from Batesville or any other place in Arkansas.  As long as he's in burnt orange I want Strong to lose.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on February 04, 2016, 07:43:59 pm
It's part of the game.  As a Razorback fan, I'm gonna be pissed if we're on the short end of the stick due to "underhanded" tactics.  However, you best believe I would be happy if we get a 5 star kid to hide his commitment and flip to us on signing day leaving ol' swamp donkey (or any other coach) empty handed.

I just want the Razorbacks to win.  That's why I don't get the whole "support Strong gang".  He doesn't want us to be successful.  He recruits against us.  I don't care if he's from Batesville or any other place in Arkansas.  As long as he's in burnt orange I want Strong to lose.

Amen

pigture perfect

me too.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

longpig

Quote from: Oliver on February 04, 2016, 07:15:16 pm
Strong recruited like his job depended on it.  Probably not too far from the truth

They'll fire him anyway
Don't be scared, be smart.

Oliver

Quote from: longpig on February 04, 2016, 09:27:07 pm
They'll fire him anyway

Perhaps.  At least they got a top 10 recruiting class to hand to the next coach

tophawg19

the more they lose , the happier i get
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

RedRock

the next coach that inherits this class will be happy. That will be in about 10 months.

onebadrubi

I was told by an OU guy today to check some big 12 fan boards, which I did not do.  There are some rumors going around that these were all recruits that got together with the staff and planned this deal.  These signing day flips or decisions were all previously made but wanted Texas to rule the signing day fiasco.  They also wanted to continue trips and trying to bring others to UT, much like the Cuffee situation. I told him about the Cuffee situation and said there were more of these happening than just Cuffee at Arkansas.  A&M knew what was going on and canceked his visit after they learned from another top recruit that told them why they didn't have a chance (I'm only guessing this might be daniels?)

JIHawg

My suspicion is it was Chris Vaughn that did this.  He learned at the masters knee of deception and dishonesty.

theFlyingHog

rljjr

Wow. Texas got a bunch of Texas recruits. Good job, Charlie. You're still getting canned after this season goes 4-8.

ricepig

Vantage 8 dude

One slight correction: ain't no probably about it.

Vantage 8 dude

I totally concur. If he ain't with us, he's against us.

HogNDas

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 11, 2016, 09:15:30 pm
One slight correction: ain't no probably about it.
AGREE, his seat was hot!...the OU win is the only thing that prolly saved his job, for now!....and yes, Cuffee sure acted/seemed like a "plant"...!!!

Hogfan46

Quote from: ricepig on February 11, 2016, 07:23:44 pm
So, now we know how Texas secured their class, possibly?

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/11/ole-miss-ncaa-case-to-cost-texas-assistant-his-job/

Down goes Chris Vaughn. You would have to think that if Texas fired him for what he did while at OleMiss then the evidence must be pretty damning.

31to6

HogNDas

Quote from: 31to6 on February 11, 2016, 09:43:09 pm
Lead recruiter at Texas for Kyle Porter....
Just hope that his misdeeds weren't happening when he was on our staff!!!

greenie

Quote from: 31to6 on February 11, 2016, 09:43:09 pm
Lead recruiter at Texas for Kyle Porter....

I'm sure he was in on Cuffee and Jones as well. 

jgphillips3

Quote from: HogNDas on February 11, 2016, 09:50:55 pm
Just hope that his misdeeds weren't happening when he was on our staff!!!
If they were, we sure never saw any benefit from it.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 11, 2016, 09:55:44 pm
+2 Truer words were never spoken!! :-X

HogNDas

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 11, 2016, 09:55:44 pm
LOL!...agree...hee hee

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

TeufelHog

. . . and now Jennings gets hired away by TEXAS.  Interesting.

HogFoo

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 11, 2016, 09:18:04 pm
I totally concur. If he ain't with us, he's against us.
i agree . I also feel the same about st. GUS.    Just like Strong being at texas, and Gus being at Texas.  They are both the enemy!     And Vaughn.    Sounds like he must have read up on How to become Trooper Taylor! 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

LRrazorback

So if an assistant is being fired, where does that leave the head coach, due for a raise I'm sure. 

DeltaBoy

Charlie is getting more rope cause they don't want to see the Media have a field day over them firing thier first AA coach.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Oliver on February 04, 2016, 09:31:20 pm
Perhaps.  At least they got a top 10 recruiting class to hand to the next coach

They've had those for decades.

SemperHawg

this...and it still may not save him.

PorkSoda

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 18, 2016, 12:33:38 pm
See?

got to recruit AND coach.

if you just have one or the other, you aren't going to be very good.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Mike_e

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 18, 2016, 08:47:38 am
Charlie is getting more rope cause they don't want to see the Media have a field day over them firing thier first AA coach.

If you were the least bit suspicious you might think that they knew that the first guy after brown was going to fail so why not get the minority guy that they knew would be called for out of the way at the same time.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

Athog

Yep.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: rljjr on February 05, 2016, 06:16:10 am
Wow. Texas got a bunch of Texas recruits. Good job, Charlie. You're still getting canned after this season goes 4-8.
Jennings better rent an apt., cause the stay in Austin could be very short. :P

hei5manhog

Strong admitted as much that he told these guys to stay silent until the last minute/after their officials were finished. He didn't want every coach pounding them on their lousy record the last few years. It was a good strategy and he had buy-in with the in-state guys. Now whether he can coach them remains to be seen.
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?