Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Catfish Hole and recruiting

Started by JHicks3636, February 04, 2016, 06:34:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 06, 2016, 09:58:57 am

I think the Catfish hole is an appropriate place to dine for football players who usually are big eaters and not too many do not like Fried Catfish and all the trimmings.  Also I think the Catfish Hole owner gives quite a bit of money to the Razorback Foundation so it is scratch my back type thing.

Nm

hoglady

Quote from: ricepig on February 06, 2016, 10:11:01 am
How do you know they don't like catfish, have you surveyed all the recruits who have been there the last 20 years? Also, there are other items on the menu.

I think you misread his post - he said not too many DO NOT like catfish.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on February 06, 2016, 10:17:27 am
I think you misread his post - he said not too many DO NOT like catfish.

I believe I did! I apologize, too many negatives in there for me to keep up, time for some more caffeine.

GolfnHog

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2016, 06:08:00 pm
So, when Johnny Superstar shows up with his Mom and Grandma to a meal, you want a bunch of co-eds fawning over them? They'll find out about the "college" scene when they go out later with their player host, the meal is for Mom and Grandma, as much as it is for Johnny.

yet some folks can't see the forest for the trees and expect that their recommendations on life for a recruit can beat a tried and true experience. The negativity and condescending tone of some just irk the crap out of me.   
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

longtimeHogfan

The results of the final two Saturday hosting's of recruits at The Catfish Hole probably weren't as stellar as most would have liked.  But it wasn't for lack of trying.  We were rowdy, loud and enthusiastic.  Showed each and every one some love and they every one knew they were appreciated and wanted at Arkansas.  That's all we can do.  Most of the kids tried to keep that 'I've seen it before' look, but the moms, dads and grandparents were wide eyed with huge smiles.    The Catfish Hole remains one of the best kept secrets in D-1 recruiting even if we didn't cherry pick out of these two visits.   
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on February 05, 2016, 07:00:36 pm
...I really think the 'catfish hole' as a showpiece and focal point for our high level recruits
comes off basically as amateur night...sure, a lunch, but, I mean come on, these
e l i t e athletes know they are going to get slimed w/grease, and...the word
is out - go to Arkansas and you'll get greasy catfish on Sat. and wait till
those hicks really go into Hog Heaven for that fried corn meal, y/k ?

Give them health, and explain why, that's real love, and they will love you..

They work all week on their bodies, let's give them lean healthy 100% grass fed
protein and the best organic trim we can imagine...make it an athletes diet...
best we can provide, and explain why...if we can't or don't know how we are ignorant.

But hey, we are not professionals here, I know I'm not in 'dining and entertainment'
for guys who are 18, that's why we need to scrap this amateur hour and
HIRE SOME PROS. - in tune w/ NW Ark. who can deliver a powerhouse weekend

that an 18 year old mind can only dream about..
I think you are giving these high school recruits too much credit for their sophisticated taste buds and their adherence to healthy eating.

Sir Oinksalot

February 08, 2016, 10:16:23 pm #56 Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:38:35 pm by Sir Oinksalot

...And why is that? Could be they have never been shown a world class athletic diet?

SO has never nor would he ever disparage "the hole" I've said often it would be a
great atmosphere for a fri. But, personally no, I don't like it for the focus
of the visit, but hey I'm not a pro on 18 yr. old AA's dream weekend,

They are available however...

I could envision a menu for them of so many things to do on a Saturday after the morning rah rah.
Fishing, hunting, museums, horseback riding along the vistas....let them chose
their day and let it be planned by pros...houseboat trips in winter, idk...

I'm saying we need professional planners familiar w/NW area who could plan their
day, individually based on their interests....wth is wrong w/that...?

These five and four stars will bring us millions, so why do we skimp on them ?

"Give them something they've never seen before"

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Oklahawg

CH is an institution. It is a recruiting DRAW. It is what kids like - informal, comfort food and lots of it. The place is made for a recruiting visit - the fans and the decor are perfect.

A steak house? Really?? Good lord, you guys stay away from the BAC - someone might actually pay attention to you!

If NWA had a KILLER hibachi grill? Sure. A to-die-for hip taco joint? Maybe.

These kids are not wine-and-dine types. Even mom/dad will appreciate the down-home warmth Pat creates at CH.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 08, 2016, 11:35:06 pm
CH is an institution. It is a recruiting DRAW. It is what kids like - informal, comfort food and lots of it. The place is made for a recruiting visit - the fans and the decor are perfect.

A steak house? Really?? Good lord, you guys stay away from the BAC - someone might actually pay attention to you!

If NWA had a KILLER hibachi grill? Sure. A to-die-for hip taco joint? Maybe.

These kids are not wine-and-dine types. Even mom/dad will appreciate the down-home warmth Pat creates at CH.
[/quote/]

And the Catfish Hole has lots of what many other restaurants don't have.  Space for a big group of recruits.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Polecat on February 05, 2016, 03:58:39 pm
take them to Herman's instead?
Not even close to enough room. We need a Ruth's Chris in Fayetteville...
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

SONofHAM

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on February 08, 2016, 10:16:23 pm
...And why is that? Could be they have never been shown a world class athletic diet?

SO has never nor would he ever disparage "the hole" I've said often it would be a
great atmosphere for a fri. But, personally no, I don't like it for the focus
of the visit, but hey I'm not a pro on 18 yr. old AA's dream weekend,

They are available however...

I could envision a menu for them of so many things to do on a Saturday after the morning rah rah.
Fishing, hunting, museums, horseback riding along the vistas....let them chose
their day and let it be planned by pros...houseboat trips in winter, idk...

I'm saying we need professional planners familiar w/NW area who could plan their
day, individually based on their interests....wth is wrong w/that...?

These five and four stars will bring us millions, so why do we skimp on them ?

"Give them something they've never seen before"

Bielema has now recruited at 4 different D1 schools...but clearly you know more than he and the coaching staff. 
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

Cure

It's still a weird experience all the way around.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: Cure on February 09, 2016, 06:59:08 pm
It's still a weird experience all the way around.

It is no stranger than what they do at Auburn, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Alabama, and Florida. They all use mom and pop home style faves that appeal to most kids raised in the southeast. Yes, if you are from Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, or so on...it's unusual. No doubt. But for 90% of the kids in Louisiana, East Texas, Georgia, and else where....it's like home. If they desire the feel of Austin or Knoxville or Columbus or Miami then yes, NWA isn't going to be their cup of tea, much less the Catfish House.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

tbhogfan

If Catfish Hole didn't work for recruiting, the folks whose 6 and 7 figure jobs depend on recruiting would quit using it.   

Go Hogs!