Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We are who we are.

Started by online-with-swine, February 04, 2016, 08:20:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: online-with-swine on February 04, 2016, 08:20:20 am
We are a small state that produces little talent compared to others in our conference with a school located far from talent in adjacent states.  We can't deny that we are at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting.  We all know that Fayetteville is a gem of a town and one of the best in the SEC, we see the surprise from recruits and their parents all the time.  But, that isn't enough to overcome time and distance from family, especially when there are more prestigious programs closer to home offering scholarships.

We have a group of great recruiters and coaches.  However, my fear is that they may grow tired of having to recruit twice as hard and coach twice as hard to continually compete when they can go somewhere else with an easier path.  I think CBBs plan may be the only way build our program back up.  Recruit  hard working emotionally mature men and mold them into a team that can out smart and work you as seniors and juniors.  It just takes time and patience but we are getting there.

:razorback:

AR produces more than OR. MS produces 14-15 more D1 players but have 2 SEC schools competing for those players.

How do you explain ORs success on the field and Ole MIss recruiting success?
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

TX HOG

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 04, 2016, 03:44:21 pm
Not necessarily. I saw us win 10 and 11 games...and that subsequently turned into some of the worst recruiting we have ever had. Obviously different coaches, different situation...but it does show that winning isn't the end all be all when it comes to recruiting.

Certainly. Winning doesn't necessarily = wins. I believe consistent winning most of the time does. Given our coaching staffs commitment to recruiting, I believe we are 1-2 8+ wins away from getting around the 15ish in recruiting. Just makes sense to me...

Oklahawg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 04, 2016, 10:07:20 am
If Baylor can turn it around so can we.

They recruit on a tank of gas. Not 20K in a jet.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oliver

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 04, 2016, 06:46:54 pm
They recruit on a tank of gas. Not 20K in a jet.

Sure.  But that same tank of gas recruiting has always been there and didn't always land them much in terms of national ranking or Texas ranking.  Now they are pulling down highly ranked classes and coming in first or second in the state of Texas.  Something changed and it wasnt their location.

Music City Hog

Our "image" needs a total overhaul.  As fans we think we have a rich history and tradition, but our history is nothing to kids today. We have never really been relevant In their lifetimes.  We have been in the SEC for 25 years and never won it.  These kids view us as a tier or maybe even tiers below the sexy, fancy, prestigious schools. 

I don't have the answer completely. Maybe new hip crazy uniforms, maybe better marketing, I have no idea.  But we have been the more or less the same for 25 years.  It's time to start doing things out of the box and dramatically different to change perception and see if we can break the normal pattern of mediocrity. 

TX HOG

Quote from: Music City Hog on February 04, 2016, 07:00:55 pm
Our "image" needs a total overhaul.  As fans we think we have a rich history and tradition, but our history is nothing to kids today. We have never really been relevant In their lifetimes.  We have been in the SEC for 25 years and never won it.  These kids view us as a tier or maybe even tiers below the sexy, fancy, prestigious schools. 

I don't have the answer completely. Maybe new hip crazy uniforms, maybe better marketing, I have no idea.  But we have been the more or less the same for 25 years.  It's time to start doing things out of the box and dramatically different to change perception and see if we can break the normal pattern of mediocrity. 

Very true. Kids don't view is as a successful program. I'm in education. Granted I'm in Texas, but kids think Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, Texas, aTm are "cool" schools. They seem to have a "swagger" appeal to Texas kids. Arkansas is somewhat viewed as a small poor school. I think coach B knows this and is trying to change it by getting on TV as much as possible. Once we start winning I think kids will learn more about our program and we'll be viewed as a "cool" place

Hoggish1

Quote from: online-with-swine on February 04, 2016, 08:20:20 am
We are a small state that produces little talent compared to others in our conference with a school located far from talent in adjacent states.  We can't deny that we are at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting.  We all know that Fayetteville is a gem of a town and one of the best in the SEC, we see the surprise from recruits and their parents all the time.  But, that isn't enough to overcome time and distance from family, especially when there are more prestigious programs closer to home offering scholarships.

We have a group of great recruiters and coaches.  However, my fear is that they may grow tired of having to recruit twice as hard and coach twice as hard to continually compete when they can go somewhere else with an easier path.  I think CBBs plan may be the only way build our program back up.  Recruit  hard working emotionally mature men and mold them into a team that can out smart and work you as seniors and juniors.  It just takes time and patience but we are getting there.

:razorback:

Agreed.  When you have to work that hard, you need to be paid more, Teddybrosevelt...

Message to Long—don't screw this up!

Redhogs

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 04, 2016, 03:44:21 pm
Not necessarily. I saw us win 10 and 11 games...and that subsequently turned into some of the worst recruiting we have ever had. Obviously different coaches, different situation...but it does show that winning isn't the end all be all when it comes to recruiting.
You can't be serious...does a Harley in a ditch, JL Smith, and 3-9 and 4-8 records ring a bell? This along with other factors completely destroyed ANY benifits from winning, and then some. Winning IS the key, kids want to win, just like everybody else.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: TX HOG on February 05, 2016, 08:28:47 am
Very true. Kids don't view is as a successful program. I'm in education. Granted I'm in Texas, but kids think Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, Texas, aTm are "cool" schools. They seem to have a "swagger" appeal to Texas kids. Arkansas is somewhat viewed as a small poor school. I think coach B knows this and is trying to change it by getting on TV as much as possible. Once we start winning I think kids will learn more about our program and we'll be viewed as a "cool" place
Yep.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Vantage 8 dude

Anyone else see the comments from national recruiting guru Tom Lemming made and included in today's ARDEMGAZ column by Richard Davenport? Lemming, who rated this year's Arkansas class around 18th, said this concerning recruiting: "Kids have what I call a five-month memory. No matter what you do you have to get hot that year to get the kids to come after you because that's all they all they know is right now". Interpret anyway you want I suppose. However, I take that as meaning, and certainly not surprisingly, that winning does have much to do with how you're perceived and how much interest you draw. I also interpret that meaning that certain coaches/programs cycle "in-and-out" in terms of being popular and having the "swag" effect.

One case in point: I have no clue as to whether any/all the hints and accusations, including the recent reports of potential violations, at Ole Miss are true. While I personally have my own suspicions, it matters not. What is relevant   is that for whatever reason(s) since Freeze showed up suddenly the Rebels (or are they really the Black Bears) are one of the "hot" programs that are racking up very high marks and not just in the SEC, but nationally. If as it's been alleged by some these results are due to something "underhanded", then the vast improvement can be partially, if not completely, explained. However, is there perhaps something else going on? I honestly don't know.

buldozer

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 04, 2016, 11:50:59 am
IMO if the school was located in Texarkana, recruiting would be easier, because we would be closer to the talent. Geography matters, it can be done however it is just harder!
^^^This!^^^

longpig

I'm going to postpone commenting on this till I see what Robert Shield's take on it is. ;D
Don't be scared, be smart.