Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Class rank

Started by Jonteviosk, February 04, 2016, 12:24:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonteviosk

Where did our recruiting class rank at anyone know?
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

xxtomassxx1980

Depends on if your a glass half full guy or glass half empty guy. 10% of Hogville thinks we finished negative in rankings.

bennyl08

Quote from: xxtomassxx1980 on February 04, 2016, 01:50:59 am
Depends on if your a glass half full guy or glass half empty guy. 10% of Hogville thinks we finished negative in rankings.

Which half is empty or full? If the bottom half of the glass is a vacuum, that glass is going to shatter.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hambunctious

I don't even bother with Rivals, and Scout anymore.  What is a 4 star on one, is a 3 on the other, and vice versa.
I don't care if others use my avatar, but don't claim it's yours exclusively.

bamapig

Tom Lemming has us at #18

Pork Twain

Funny that if you can log on here, you can also do a simple search and find that information out very easily yourself.  There is also a recruiting forum...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

lahawg1

For perspective, all the LSWho fans I work with are livid over their recruiting class. Sure they are in the top 5 on most places but they only have one 3* dual threat QB and that is what they are upset about. More of the same and they want Les gone now. Breaks my heart

Hoggiedawg

It's an average class for us if you just look at the ranking and past history, but it did fill some needed positions and increase our depth.  Overall, decent and something to build on.  Hopefully we can put a few more wins on the board and convince some 5* talent to jump on board the hog train the next few seasons.  I think we're just a couple of key positions away from having a great team.

jjdlc

Also, despite the class only being ranked 25-32, we achieved that ranking with only 20 signees.  That speaks to the quality of those signees.  Many of those highest rated signees were also in positions where we had a high need, the importance of that can not be understated.  We did not get as many OL as we would have liked, and CB ended up being a sore spot, but over all this class is extremely strong. 

colbs

Quote from: jjdlc on February 04, 2016, 07:43:03 am
Also, despite the class only being ranked 25-32, we achieved that ranking with only 20 signees.  That speaks to the quality of those signees.  Many of those highest rated signees were also in positions where we had a high need, the importance of that can not be understated.  We did not get as many OL as we would have liked, and CB ended up being a sore spot, but over all this class is extremely strong. 
Plus only 4 instate players.  It's tough to get a top 15 class when you have to go out of state to get the rest of the players.

jjdlc

Quote from: colbs on February 04, 2016, 07:50:13 am
Plus only 4 instate players.  It's tough to get a top 15 class when you have to go out of state to get the rest of the players.

Good point, we had more than double that in-state last year didn't we.

JaketheSnake

Here is what is stupid about class rankings... If we had wanted Crockett it seems he would have been ours and he would have jumped the class up a few spots Bc he had 4*s.  However, after doing our evals, we didn't think he fit and didn't offer him.  This is why it's insane that people get all up in arms about these type of rankings.  Would it be nice to finish higher?  Yes Bc it builds the brand and future recruits see that.  It doesn't really mean much else.

colbs

Quote from: jjdlc on February 04, 2016, 07:53:14 am
Good point, we had more than double that in-state last year didn't we.
10 last year.

hogcard1964

Alabama and Texas came up big yesterday.

Wildhog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 04, 2016, 08:02:40 am
I dig this

We're consistently finishing ahead of Wisconsin.

Now if we could only play in the Big 10, we'd be set.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

SouthSide Johnny

"Saban and Alabama's recruiting prowess is the strongest in the nation. Every year the Crimson Tide are expected to sign a top class and usually deliver. However, in 2015 the Tide were toppled by USC, and they had some work to do in order to climb to the top in 2016. Work is exactly what the Crimson Tide did as three five-star prospects and two Rivals250s chose Alabama on National Signing Day. The big day put the Crimson Tide right back at the No. 1 spot. That makes seven out of the last nine years Alabama has finished No. 1 in the team rankings. Ridiculous."

This is the mountain for the SEC especially the West and Ole Piss signed signed another great class with 2 of top 4 national kids,  Except for a freak play and penalty Ole Miss would have been West Champ.   
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

SouthSide Johnny

THE SEC

Alabama claims the top spot in the team rankings, but the conference boasts nine teams in the top 25 with Ole Miss, Auburn and LSU each finishing in the top 10. The SEC also added 16 five-star recruits, including two five-star quarterbacks. Impressive considering only 33 prospects - high school, prep, and junior college - received a five-star ranking. The next closest conference was the Pac-12 with five five-star signings. That is a remarkable achievement.

ricepig

SouthSide Johnny

TEAM   247SPORTS   ESPN   SCOUT   RIVALS   AVERAGE RANK
Alabama    1    2    1    1    1.25
Arkansas    25    24    32    32    28.25
Auburn    9    9    12    9    9.75
Florida    13    12    10    14   12.25
Georgia    7    7    9    10    8.25
Kentucky    34    34    39    29    34
LSU    3    3    4    6    4
Mississippi State    31    33    35    36    33.75
Missouri    51       57   51    53
Ole Miss    6    4    5    7    5.5
South Carolina    26    29    26    26    26.75
Tennessee    14    14    17    15   15
Texas A&M   18    20    20    16    18.5
Vanderbilt    54       68    59   60.3
NOTE: ESPN only ranks the top 40 classes in the nation.

Jim Harris

Quote from: SouthSide Johnny on February 04, 2016, 08:29:24 am
"Saban and Alabama's recruiting prowess is the strongest in the nation. Every year the Crimson Tide are expected to sign a top class and usually deliver. However, in 2015 the Tide were toppled by USC, and they had some work to do in order to climb to the top in 2016. Work is exactly what the Crimson Tide did as three five-star prospects and two Rivals250s chose Alabama on National Signing Day. The big day put the Crimson Tide right back at the No. 1 spot. That makes seven out of the last nine years Alabama has finished No. 1 in the team rankings. Ridiculous."

This is the mountain for the SEC especially the West and Ole Piss signed signed another great class with 2 of top 4 national kids,  Except for a freak play and penalty Ole Miss would have been West Champ.

And a blocked field goal. You forgot they blocked the last play field goal to get to OT.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

LR Hog

Quote from: bamapig on February 04, 2016, 06:57:07 am

I respect his opinion and it is obvious Richard "The Recruiting Guy" Davenport does as well.
Like a boss.

MJ2

Quote from: SouthSide Johnny on February 04, 2016, 08:47:21 am

Good info.

moto625

Exciting Sounds like some future 7-6 seasons #32 class should get us a bowl game right!?!

hogfansince79

Quote from: bamapig on February 04, 2016, 06:57:07 am

Here's a link to the article (you probably need a subscription to the paper)...

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/feb/04/analyst-puts-ua-18th-with-4-star-treatm/

:razorback:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

DeltaBoy

The Best Ranking will be four years from now when ESPN regrades them.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Wildhog on February 04, 2016, 08:23:21 am
Now if we could only play in the Big 10, we'd be set.

Not too sure.  I think we're something like 1-5 lifetime against Big 10 teams.

I simply made that statement because of where Bret came from.

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 04, 2016, 10:04:31 am
The Best Ranking will be four years from now when ESPN regrades them.

Or Championships, Conference and National 

010HogFan

Quote from: moto625 on February 04, 2016, 09:23:28 am
Exciting Sounds like some future 7-6 seasons #32 class should get us a bowl game right!?!

Cool post. should get you a ban.

COCHISE

Quote from: lahawg1 on February 04, 2016, 07:02:33 am
For perspective, all the LSWho fans I work with are livid over their recruiting class. Sure they are in the top 5 on most places but they only have one 3* dual threat QB and that is what they are upset about. More of the same and they want Les gone now. Breaks my heart
They do that stupid crap every year. They go out and recruit a "dual-threat" glorified WR to play QB and ignore solid in-state QB's like Kelly. And then they complain because their QB play sucks year in and year out.

jackflash

I am going to wait 3 or 4 years rate this class then we will know

redeye

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 04, 2016, 08:49:29 am
And a blocked field goal. You forgot they blocked the last play field goal to get to OT.

And if they didn't get shut down offensively on their last drive of regulation.  Don't forget that.

hobhog

Two thoughts:

Lemming has been doing this longer than just about anyone in the business.

ESPN putting us in top 25 is important. It gives us national exposure for weeks.

Hambunctious

Quote from: SouthSide Johnny on February 04, 2016, 08:47:21 am

I don't know why you included 247 in the average. 247 IS the average already. That's what they do.

FWF79

Can we stop dropping the mic now

longpig

Quote from: lahawg1 on February 04, 2016, 07:02:33 am

LSU has 10 nonserviceable QBs on their roster.  Yes you read that right, TEN.  It doesn't make any sense
Don't be scared, be smart.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

longpig

Quote from: SouthSide Johnny on February 04, 2016, 08:29:24 am
"Saban and Alabama’s recruiting prowess is the strongest in the nation. Every year the Crimson Tide are expected to sign a top class and usually deliver. However, in 2015 the Tide were toppled by USC, and they had some work to do in order to climb to the top in 2016. Work is exactly what the Crimson Tide did as three five-star prospects and two Rivals250s chose Alabama on National Signing Day. The big day put the Crimson Tide right back at the No. 1 spot. That makes seven out of the last nine years Alabama has finished No. 1 in the team rankings. Ridiculous."

Added testament to Alabama's recruiting ability is how it didn't slip due to this seasons coaching turmoil and lost time preparing for one more game than all but one other team in the country.
Don't be scared, be smart.

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: Hambunctious on February 04, 2016, 01:23:50 pm
I don't know why you included 247 in the average. 247 IS the average already. That's what they do.

Eat the fish, throw away the bones... and maybe, just maybe they use more than the other 3 services listed to compile their composite...

Jonteviosk

Quote from: COCHISE on February 04, 2016, 10:38:53 am
They do that stupid crap every year. They go out and recruit a "dual-threat" glorified WR to play QB and ignore solid in-state QB's like Kelly. And then they complain because their QB play sucks year in and year out.

Not to question your statement but memory serves me that 2 seasons ago BA was a terrific game manager with 20 ts and 5 pics and it also serves that BA was by far the best qb in the sec this year so I don't know where you get your information from.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

AirForceHog

If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

Hambunctious

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 05, 2016, 01:23:47 am
Not to question your statement but memory serves me that 2 seasons ago BA was a terrific game manager with 20 ts and 5 pics and it also serves that BA was by far the best qb in the sec this year so I don't know where you get your information from.
247 does exactly that to get their composite.  Therefore, to use their rating in an average with ESPN, Rivals, and Scout, is inaccurate.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: SouthSide Johnny on February 04, 2016, 08:52:10 pm
Eat the fish, throw away the bones... and maybe, just maybe they use more than the other 3 services listed to compile their composite...

Well Ole Piss will never sniff a title of anysorts...Go Memphis LMFAO also don't forget the 30-0 beat down @ Ole Piss the year before. Man it was nice watching Kelly become Allens bitch this year lmao.

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 05, 2016, 01:34:39 am

Well Ole Piss will never sniff a title of anysorts...Go Memphis LMFAO also don't forget the 30-0 beat down @ Ole Piss the year before. Man it was nice watching Kelly become Allens bitch this year lmao.

And that has absolutely Nothing to do with with the topic, try to keep up....

sgfhog

Here is the composite rankings put together by USA Today Sports (it looks like this is what SouthSide has pasted) in his post.

Yesterday, Arkansas was #25 in the average of all the rankings. Today the Hogs are at #26.

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/signing-day-usa-today-high-school-sports-2016-composite-team-rankings

One observation: TCU, Stanford, and Michigan State are ranked high this year. The kind of recruiting haul they are experiencing has taken years of consistent winning and exposure. Even just a few years ago, these programs were on the outside looking in. Oregon and Wisconsin have often fit in that category as well. It seems to me that consistent winning and player development have been key factors for these programs.

COCHISE

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 05, 2016, 01:23:47 am
Im not sure what you're trying to say. My statement was regarding LSU's recruitment of QB's.

HoGs1031

Quote from: colbs on February 04, 2016, 07:50:13 am

Tennessee signed only 3 players from Tennessee and finished in the top 15.