Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

State of Arkansas class 2017

Started by PLHawg, February 03, 2016, 02:37:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: JaketheSnake on February 04, 2016, 02:58:55 pm
Point was, it is not for the current class.  But yes, you are correct.

Point was, the article listed in the tweet told us that.

#1 STUNNA

Cure

Montaric Brown needs an offer yesterday.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

tophawg19

Jonathon McCoy of Camden Fairview is drawing interest as is another Fairview kid whose name slips my mind at the moment
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

JaketheSnake

scruf

Quote from: Cure on February 04, 2016, 03:54:49 pm
Montaric Brown needs an offer yesterday.

Uh, yes please. Looks like a kid that winds up a 4*. Too bad he wasn't class of 2016. Wow.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/6449794/highlights/292668439/v3

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: hawgzzfan1152 on February 03, 2016, 02:44:38 pm
Not Good!

Thinnest crop I can remember.  Both the lack of high end talent and the lack of overall numbers of P5 level athletes.

The LRSD dysfunction and the decline of Pine Bluff, Ft. Smith and the delta is really starting to show it's ugly face.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

I noticed a Jr. RB from Blytheville on a hudl video of a different prospect from this past season.  I can't remember his name but that kid is a sleeper, he's a little undersized but he's quick and runs strong.

We'd be amiss to not get that kid on campus in some way.

I also noticed that something like 5 or 6 Blytheville kids signed w/ Arkansas Baptist. They're a JUCO. Why are they not feeding kids to the U. of A?
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

ricepig

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on February 04, 2016, 05:50:08 pm
I noticed a Jr. RB from Blytheville on a hudl video of a different prospect from this past season.  I can't remember his name but that kid is a sleeper, he's a little undersized but he's quick and runs strong.

We'd be amiss to not get that kid on campus in some way.

I also noticed that something like 5 or 6 Blytheville kids signed w/ Arkansas Baptist. They're a JUCO. Why are they not feeding kids to the U. of A?

Because they aren't SEC quality?

BentonvilleJeff

My Fayetteville Bulldogs started at QB MLB and OLB for the Hogs this year and all were studs. So the anti 7a guy that keeps posting should realize that.
Also in my opinion their QB next year is the real deal and I would offer him. I said the same thing about Greenlaw his senior year and look how that turned out.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 03, 2016, 03:12:06 pm
Mississippi has a similar issue except they have greater numbers so more prospects.

MS isn't that much more populous than AR, and it has two SEC programs.

EFBAB

secneahog

Quote from: scruf on February 04, 2016, 05:34:31 pm
Uh, yes please. Looks like a kid that winds up a 4*. Too bad he wasn't class of 2016. Wow.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/6449794/highlights/292668439/v3

Oh my......his film is unreal. How's his grades? Why is there not a thread of him made? He looks big-time as a jr in HS.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

pigture perfect

If our HS athletes were given the exposure like the surrounding states give, you would see more participation and better evaluations.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

JaketheSnake

Quote from: BentonvilleJeff on February 04, 2016, 08:45:57 pm
If I'm not mistaken Ellis led the team in tackles.

BA is probably gonna get drafted and kicked tail in Mobile last week.

Those Fayet boys have done a great job representing the UofA! BA finally showed out and Ellis has played well.  Anyone saying a single player was responsible for any loss doesn't understand and probably never played the game.

go hogues

looks like it will be one of those 'fly 40k miles' type years.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

BentonvilleJeff

Quote from: Showtimehog on February 04, 2016, 10:27:31 pm
That's 2 players; each from separate signing classes. Is it too much to ask a metro area (NWA) of 500k to produce at least 5-6 SEC players a year? 1-2 each from Fayetteville, Rogers, Bentonville, and Springdale each year?...
It's not asking a lot, but the demographics just aren't there. All the resources they have and they'll never produce because the demographics don't produce SEC athletes...
They did sign 2 last year from Fayetteville in O'Grady and Grrenlaw, but I know what you're saying. I wish too that there were more. It is better than it used to be though.

whosiskid

The best player in Arkansas is McClellan running back Pierre Strong.  Last I read he was 6'1, 195. Any time you state a player's 40 time every other person starts debating it, so lets just say he is more than fast enough to star in the SEC. He was the reason McClellan made it to the state championship game.

Strong is so similar to TJ Hammonds that their tape looks interchangeable. Both are perpetual long distance threats, both had an outrageous number of long plays. Strong had one game where he had two TD runs for more than 90 yards. He had one game where he ran for 300 yards on 8 carries and another around 320 yards on 12 carries. Like Hammonds he had an outrageous yards per carry average. Hammonds might have had a yard per carry higher average, but Strong had a thousand yards more rushing. He ended up with over 2300 yards. I think Hammonds averaged about 14 yards a carry, while Strong averaged "only" 12.9 yards per carry. 32 TDs on 182 carries. Besides the gaudiness of his rushing stats, another way he resembles Hammonds is that he has a very long stride and can change directions or make a cut and be back at full speed in only a step or two. He is deceptively fast because of the stride. I think another way he will resemble Hammonds is that people will get more excited about out of state running backs, when he probably has more potential than almost anyone we will be looking at. I think he will probable follow Hammonds in one other way. 247 started off by rating Hammonds around 85. I remember being flabbergasted when I first saw Hammonds film, because Damarea Crockett was rated higher at the time. I instantly flipped out over him and immediately wanted the lower rated Hammonds over the higher rated Crockett. I think, like Hammonds, Strong will end up around a 90 or 91 rated back. If he has a big senior year, he could get up to 93 or 94. We'll see if he does much at summer camps. He is someone about whom word could spread if he goes to one camp and impresses.

He played in a higher conference than Hammonds, so he was not doing this against smaller schools, like some of the other prolific backs.

He hasn't been offered by anyone yet, but he has been visited by Arkansas a few times and is being evaluated by LSU and other schools. He'll end up with multiple SEC offers, in addition to all the expected regional schools, but he very much wants to play at Arkansas and hasn't hid that in interviews. If you look at his video (see link below) you will know who his running back hero is. If he gets an offer to Arkansas (like I think he will), I'm sure he will inquire into the availability of his hero's number. I don't think there is any question that he'll get an offer from Arkansas, it is just a question of when. I predicted this of TJ Hammonds last year and I'm predicting it of Hammonds now. He is a solid student and while you can't always tell from interviews, seems like a really nice kid. He knows he is good, but he is also humble.

My one concern about Strong is that he doesn't do a lot of self-promotion and neither does his coach or McClellan. So even though he is probably the top football player in Arkansas, not many people are trying to get the word out. My suspicion is that his coach, who had done an incredible job of taking the worst team in their conference and taking them to the state championship finals in only two seasons, emphasizes team over self. But Strong is the ONLY play in the state that I'm excited about. Byers is pretty decent and Taylor Powell should do a find job for a school like Tulsa or Memphis, but Strong is on a different level in terms of how he could do at the next level.

I think Arkansas will recruit Strong at running back, but there is a possibility that they may recruit him at WR instead. Like I said, he is very similar to Hammonds in a lot of ways. Great hands and can make some pretty acrobatic catches.

Be sure to look at his junior year highlight reel. It is pretty spectacular:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3327246/highlights/315615379/v3

By the way, I get tired of people constantly comparing players to Joe Adams, but the first two runs on the highlight reel are very Adamesque.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

passinghog

Quote from: whosiskid on February 05, 2016, 01:10:07 am
The best player in Arkansas is McClellan running back Pierre Strong.  Last I read he was 6'1, 195. Any time you state a player's 40 time every other person starts debating it, so lets just say he is more than fast enough to star in the SEC. He was the reason McClellan made it to the state championship game.

Strong is so similar to TJ Hammonds that their tape looks interchangeable. Both are perpetual long distance threats, both had an outrageous number of long plays. Strong had one game where he had two TD runs for more than 90 yards. He had one game where he ran for 300 yards on 8 carries and another around 320 yards on 12 carries. Like Hammonds he had an outrageous yards per carry average. Hammonds might have had a yard per carry higher average, but Strong had a thousand yards more rushing. He ended up with over 2300 yards. I think Hammonds averaged about 14 yards a carry, while Strong averaged "only" 12.9 yards per carry. 32 TDs on 182 carries. Besides the gaudiness of his rushing stats, another way he resembles Hammonds is that he has a very long stride and can change directions or make a cut and be back at full speed in only a step or two. He is deceptively fast because of the stride. I think another way he will resemble Hammonds is that people will get more excited about out of state running backs, when he probably has more potential than almost anyone we will be looking at. I think he will probable follow Hammonds in one other way. 247 started off by rating Hammonds around 85. I remember being flabbergasted when I first saw Hammonds film, because Damarea Crockett was rated higher at the time. I instantly flipped out over him and immediately wanted the lower rated Hammonds over the higher rated Crockett. I think, like Hammonds, Strong will end up around a 90 or 91 rated back. If he has a big senior year, he could get up to 93 or 94. We'll see if he does much at summer camps. He is someone about whom word could spread if he goes to one camp and impresses.

He played in a higher conference than Hammonds, so he was not doing this against smaller schools, like some of the other prolific backs.

He hasn't been offered by anyone yet, but he has been visited by Arkansas a few times and is being evaluated by LSU and other schools. He'll end up with multiple SEC offers, in addition to all the expected regional schools, but he very much wants to play at Arkansas and hasn't hid that in interviews. If you look at his video (see link below) you will know who his running back hero is. If he gets an offer to Arkansas (like I think he will), I'm sure he will inquire into the availability of his hero's number. I don't think there is any question that he'll get an offer from Arkansas, it is just a question of when. I predicted this of TJ Hammonds last year and I'm predicting it of Hammonds now. He is a solid student and while you can't always tell from interviews, seems like a really nice kid. He knows he is good, but he is also humble.

My one concern about Strong is that he doesn't do a lot of self-promotion and neither does his coach or McClellan. So even though he is probably the top football player in Arkansas, not many people are trying to get the word out. My suspicion is that his coach, who had done an incredible job of taking the worst team in their conference and taking them to the state championship finals in only two seasons, emphasizes team over self. But Strong is the ONLY play in the state that I'm excited about. Byers is pretty decent and Taylor Powell should do a find job for a school like Tulsa or Memphis, but Strong is on a different level in terms of how he could do at the next level.

I think Arkansas will recruit Strong at running back, but there is a possibility that they may recruit him at WR instead. Like I said, he is very similar to Hammonds in a lot of ways. Great hands and can make some pretty acrobatic catches.

Be sure to look at his junior year highlight reel. It is pretty spectacular:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3327246/highlights/315615379/v3

By the way, I get tired of people constantly comparing players to Joe Adams, but the first two runs on the highlight reel are very Adamesque.

Why don't we have all the info we need on this kid enough to make an offer? I know we have to be very selective with in-state offers, but if he's anything Hammonds, we should have enough inside info on him to try and lock him down as soon as possible. Should already have an idea about his transcript, etc.

scruf

Can someone clean this thread and purge this POS?

whosiskid

Quote from: Showtimehog on February 05, 2016, 02:15:27 am
Why don't we have all the info we need on this kid enough to make an offer? I know we have to be very selective with in-state offers, but if he's anything Hammonds, we should have enough inside info on him to try and lock him down as soon as possible. Should already have an idea about his transcript, etc.

I think it is pretty clear that the staff has completely different approaches to instate and out-of-state kids. Though that has to be qualified. There are instate kids who are so off the chart good that they feel that they need to offer right away. In general, these are kids who are getting offers or attention from out-of-state kids. Remember when we offered Ty Storey? It was when Alabama was getting serious about evaluation him. Same with Jordan Jones. This may happen with Pierre Strong because LSU is looking at him.

The average Arkansas prospect is treated differently. They get offers during the summer at camp. Sometimes they really take their time. That was probably a major factor in our losing KJ Hill. I know some don't want to acknowledge that or want to dismiss it, but Hill was really gun ho on the Hogs, came to camp expecting an offer, and didn't get one. Now, we knew precisely what kind of player Hill was, but for some reason we don't want to offer a lot of Arkansas kids we know will commit immediately unless we've gone through a more thorough process than with out of state kids. I think part of the reason is that the dynamic is different. Out of state kids haven't grown up knowing all about the Hogs. Instate kids have. I have engaged in very, very little criticism of the current staff, largely because I think they know what they are doing. But I think they have lost some kids because they treated them on the instate pattern. KJ Hill was one like this. I think they treated Chris Daniels as an instate kid despite his living in Texas, since he was saying a year ago that if he were offered by Arkansas he'd commit. I know all the reasons they didn't offer, but I think they would have given any other top Texas prospect a bit more attention until making a final determination. We hesitated very briefly before offering Ty Storey (not by a whole lot, but a good 2 to 3 months after most were perceiving him as "the next big thing" in Arkansas football). On the other hand, Denzel Mitchell got a very early offer from the Hogs, when he had much less of a resume than Pierre Strong has right now, mainly because everyone knew he considered himself an Alabamian (at the time we all thought he was going to go to Alabama or Auburn - the Ole Miss commitment was a bit of a surprise).

There are exceptions. Jordan Jones. Austin Capps. Sosa Agim. But most of the kids we have offered since Bielema arrived were only offered after they attended summer camp.

So even though Strong has amazing stats and measurables, much stronger than most of the out of state kids we've offered, he won't be offered until he goes to a summer camp. I am pretty certain he camped last summer, but they'll insist on another one.

I think we will offer a couple of kids this summer after the camps. Probably some kids none of us have heard of. But we definitely take things slowly with instate kids, both offering a lot fewer and offering more slowly than with kids from out of state.

On the other hand, we are vastly more likely to offer an out of state kid and then take back the offer than we are to offer instate kids. If we offer an instate kid, we do so to get a commitment out of them. And that might be a big part of why we are so much more careful with instate kids. If we offered 14 kids, but took back 9 of the offers, it would really alienate a bunch of coaches, families, and communities. That fall out would be considerable.

But IF we offer an Arkansas kid prior to this summer, it would likely be either Strong or Byers. Mississippi St has offered Byers, but we'll see if Arkansas decides to offer him. Powell is a pretty decent QB, but what school would be the best fit for him? Does he have the build to get much bigger? Is he actually 6'2? I think Strong is the only one of the three who has demonstrated that he is an SEC quality player. Byers is next. It is interesting that 247 has only ranked 4 Arkansas players so far and three of the four are at Fayetteville HS. One of them is a RB who isn't close to Strong's level.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

passinghog

Quote from: whosiskid on February 05, 2016, 03:32:48 am
I think it is pretty clear that the staff has completely different approaches to instate and out-of-state kids. Though that has to be qualified. There are instate kids who are so off the chart good that they feel that they need to offer right away. In general, these are kids who are getting offers or attention from out-of-state kids. Remember when we offered Ty Storey? It was when Alabama was getting serious about evaluation him. Same with Jordan Jones. This may happen with Pierre Strong because LSU is looking at him.

The average Arkansas prospect is treated differently. They get offers during the summer at camp. Sometimes they really take their time. That was probably a major factor in our losing KJ Hill. I know some don't want to acknowledge that or want to dismiss it, but Hill was really gun ho on the Hogs, came to camp expecting an offer, and didn't get one. Now, we knew precisely what kind of player Hill was, but for some reason we don't want to offer a lot of Arkansas kids we know will commit immediately unless we've gone through a more thorough process than with out of state kids. I think part of the reason is that the dynamic is different. Out of state kids haven't grown up knowing all about the Hogs. Instate kids have. I have engaged in very, very little criticism of the current staff, largely because I think they know what they are doing. But I think they have lost some kids because they treated them on the instate pattern. KJ Hill was one like this. I think they treated Chris Daniels as an instate kid despite his living in Texas, since he was saying a year ago that if he were offered by Arkansas he'd commit. I know all the reasons they didn't offer, but I think they would have given any other top Texas prospect a bit more attention until making a final determination. We hesitated very briefly before offering Ty Storey (not by a whole lot, but a good 2 to 3 months after most were perceiving him as "the next big thing" in Arkansas football). On the other hand, Denzel Mitchell got a very early offer from the Hogs, when he had much less of a resume than Pierre Strong has right now, mainly because everyone knew he considered himself an Alabamian (at the time we all thought he was going to go to Alabama or Auburn - the Ole Miss commitment was a bit of a surprise).

There are exceptions. Jordan Jones. Austin Capps. Sosa Agim. But most of the kids we have offered since Bielema arrived were only offered after they attended summer camp.

So even though Strong has amazing stats and measurables, much stronger than most of the out of state kids we've offered, he won't be offered until he goes to a summer camp. I am pretty certain he camped last summer, but they'll insist on another one.

I think we will offer a couple of kids this summer after the camps. Probably some kids none of us have heard of. But we definitely take things slowly with instate kids, both offering a lot fewer and offering more slowly than with kids from out of state.

On the other hand, we are vastly more likely to offer an out of state kid and then take back the offer than we are to offer instate kids. If we offer an instate kid, we do so to get a commitment out of them. And that might be a big part of why we are so much more careful with instate kids. If we offered 14 kids, but took back 9 of the offers, it would really alienate a bunch of coaches, families, and communities. That fall out would be considerable.

But IF we offer an Arkansas kid prior to this summer, it would likely be either Strong or Byers. Mississippi St has offered Byers, but we'll see if Arkansas decides to offer him. Powell is a pretty decent QB, but what school would be the best fit for him? Does he have the build to get much bigger? Is he actually 6'2? I think Strong is the only one of the three who has demonstrated that he is an SEC quality player. Byers is next. It is interesting that 247 has only ranked 4 Arkansas players so far and three of the four are at Fayetteville HS. One of them is a RB who isn't close to Strong's level.

I have no problem with us being careful with instate kids, but why should Alabama have more of inside leg, or pressure on a player in our state that grew up a hog fan like Storey than we do?

I'm not saying this is an indictment on Lunney, maybe it's direction from CBB, but Lunney is from Arkansas. There should be at least 1 guy on each high school coaching staff he can go to or that feeds him info about up and coming players. There's no way Bama should get that type of scoop or really start to show more attention to an Arkansas kid before the Razorbacks; not one that was a can't miss D1 prospect like Storey.

What in getting at is if we wait too long on an instate player, like Daniels this year, it's a waste of resources. Have our homework done on potential SEC caliber instate players by signing day of their JR year and get them an offer before school is out in the spring. We shouldn't be wasting time at the end trying to lock up an instate kid (like Daniels this year) or not have your next QB locked up by spring graduation time if he's a fan of the program. Those guys are magnets for great receivers at the Elite Camps and are basically program ambassadors for you at those camps. We usually do a great job locking down instate talent, but how great would it have been to have a kid like Daniels up here trying to recruit other kids on his visit?

We need to have an all hands on deck strategy

whosiskid

I agree. I have always wished we moved a bit faster. But playing devil's advocate, a year ago Damarea Crockett was perceived as a killer running back prospect. And even though he got a couple of decent second tier NCAA offers, he never emerged at a top prospect. It was no one big thing. More a number of things. Not quite as fast hitting the hole (look at film of Crockett reading the hole and Hammonds and Strong reading the hole - none of them really hesitate, but Hammonds and Strong just blow through the opening, which is why they have those ridiculous per carry averages, while Crockett had a respectable high school average. Look at the other two negotiating traffic in the open field and then Crockett doing the same. Or start counting the yards Strong makes after first contact with the number of yards taht Crockett gets after first contact. Or note how many time Crockett is either pulled down from behind or someone gets the angle on him compared with the same with the other two. Or watch how often Hammonds and Strong run 20 or 30 yards apparently surrounded by defensive players, somehow none of them quite able to get a hand on them. To me, Crockett never looks special. Good? Maybe. Solid? Perhaps. But not a player who seems capable of beating you all by himself. I would have to do some research to get precise examples (but it is 4:16 am and I need to try to get some sleep - one reason that I have such a horrid sleep disorder is that I am not doing all I can and should to recover my circadian rhythms), but Crockett would have a great weekend by running the ball 24 times and getting 167 yards, while strong would carry 14 and get 285. Strong and Hammonds just look like dangerous players. Crockett's five best games are dwarfed by Strong's five best games. So sometimes you need to time to make sure a player who as good as they seem to be. I don't mean with Hammonds and Strong. Those guys are clearly Division One prospects. But Crockett wasn't on the edge. Seeing him at camp he might turn out to be better or he might turn out to be a slight disappointment. I think the latter and I was really upset when people were saying we might be on the verge of offering him this past week, when he was clearly not someone who would have contributed. Not like Whaley or Hammonds or Johnson. I don't mind taking a gamble on a player, but I would rather have gambled on Carlos Blackman.

God, have to get to bed.

immahog

bump (just b/c the top threads are about non hogs)
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

IronHog

Quote from: BentonvilleJeff on February 04, 2016, 06:24:38 pm
My Fayetteville Bulldogs started at QB MLB and OLB for the Hogs this year and all were studs. So the anti 7a guy that keeps posting should realize that.
Also in my opinion their QB next year is the real deal and I would offer him. I said the same thing about Greenlaw his senior year and look how that turned out.

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about

You can't recruit kids to play in this environment
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

TX HOG

Even top 10 recruiting ole Miss and Clemson go out of state for the majority of their recruits. Plus they have big in state competition.

TX HOG

If I counted correctly Clemson and Ole Miss only had 6 4/5 star combined in state commitments, yes combined.

Swine Time

Sometimes this forum gets really comical about things like this. After looking at the list of top 50 in state recruits for 2017, yeah it don't look real promising but knowing people from around the state and certain parts of other state and watching numerous highlight reels. I see a lot of these kids taking a jump in the star ratings over the next 6 months. To elevate your stock you must go to legit combines, most parents/guardians just cant drop everything to spend three days in Dallas or Atlanta for a Nike Opening or a UA combine until the summer before the senior season. I know of several kids that have worked hard since offseason has started and are attending the Dallas Opening in March. With all That said........WWWWWWOOOOOO PIG   
There's only one thing worse than a LSU fan and that's a Texas fan

JaketheSnake

Quote from: TX HOG on February 05, 2016, 08:42:24 am
If I counted correctly Clemson and Ole Miss only had 6 4/5 star combined in state commitments, yes combined.
Ole Miss had 5 4/5 stars from MS this year (and a couple from the Memphis area) and Clemson had 2.  DIfference is, both those programs are much closer to talent rich areas.  Clemson had a lot of NC, GA, and FL.

TX HOG

Quote from: JaketheSnake on February 05, 2016, 09:17:22 am
Ole Miss had 5 4/5 stars from MS this year (and a couple from the Memphis area) and Clemson had 2.  DIfference is, both those programs are much closer to talent rich areas.  Clemson had a lot of NC, GA, and FL.

I understand. The point of the thread was in state talent. These schools are going out of state.
These schools are going out of state. They out of state players may be close to their school, IDK. I know Ole Miss went into Texas for 3 of theirs

TX HOG

I would be interested to see how far these out of state recruits are from Clemson and ole miss. I bet we're 10 hour drive or less from tons and tons of talent.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: TX HOG on February 05, 2016, 09:39:27 am
I understand. The point of the thread was in state talent. These schools are going out of state.
These schools are going out of state. They out of state players may be close to their school, IDK. I know Ole Miss went into Texas for 3 of theirs
I agree.  Just wish UA had something like Memphis that close to pick up a few extras.  KC produces a few, but there are 3 P5 schools closer than we are and they are pumped full of B12 crap. 

TX HOG

We are definitely at a disadvantage but like I said I bet witching 4-10 hour drive has to be a shut ton of talent

texas tush hog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 04, 2016, 11:46:23 am
Only like three 4-stars in the entire state. None in Arkansas. Arkansas coaches will be in Texas and Louisiana a lot next year.

I know most of the coaches in the area and hearing the Arkansas coaches are being extremely active this year, but not sure what losing Sings will do to that equation. Franks and Bobby Allen will have to really step up to fill the gap in the meantime. Depends on who takes Sings place. Better be a helluva recruiter Jemal was a hellava lot better than you guys gave him credit for. Was developing some good relationships. Now it is back to square one.

texas tush hog

Just in case nobody noticed, Ole Miss # four ranked recruiting class had only six players from the state of Mississippi and five from Texas, all from the DFW metroplex, anybody listening.

scruf

Quote from: texas tush hog on February 06, 2016, 11:20:28 am
Just in case nobody noticed, Ole Miss # four ranked recruiting class had only six players from the state of Mississippi and five from Texas, all from the DFW metroplex, anybody listening.

The also have another P5 school to compete with inside the state for players. That means the talent pool is split. If Mississippi State wasn't there then OM would have more in-state signees. That state produces more D1 talent than Arkansas.

Atlhogfan1

It has only be repeated on here for days.  The UA has seen tremendous growth from north Texas.  Our brand has grown stronger there.  We force our players to go to Dallas to play every season.  What are you suggesting we do?  The OT from Allen wants to play in an offense where he has as little contact as possible.  That isn't Arkansas. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

scruf

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 06, 2016, 01:21:41 pm
It has only be repeated on here for days.  The UA has seen tremendous growth from north Texas.  Our brand has grown stronger there.  We force our players to go to Dallas to play every season.  What are you suggesting we do?  The OT from Allen wants to play in an offense where he has as little contact as possible.  That isn't Arkansas. 

True. The staff didn't fail for strategy or lack of effort with that one. He wants the easy route. No such thing in CFB.

Air Show

February 06, 2016, 05:39:32 pm #89 Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 08:02:22 pm by Air Show
Arkansas needs a legitimate JUCO and a 5th year Prep school to raise the level of play. Most kids from Arkansas need additional help in the classroom and on the field. 15 to 20 recruits a year could benefit from this prep.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: IronHog on February 06, 2016, 09:24:16 pm

UA has tremendous growth in Texas because they use our tax dollars to subsidize second tier   students education......

Past time the legislature fixed that mess.

I'm good with it. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

secneahog

Why can't some posters make their points in just one paragraph? ?    Maybe two?? Why write a book? 

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

The NewEra

Here's hoping for a 9-10 or better regular season winning record in 2016.  This is going to be a class where we really need a record showing what's being build here to get more of those big dogs out of state.

scruf

Quote from: The NewEra on February 07, 2016, 12:41:14 pm
Here's hoping for a 9-10 or better regular season winning record in 2016.  This is going to be a class where we really need a record showing what's being build here to get more of those big dogs out of state.

Hopefully this staff does a lot better with more wins than the last one did because they woefully underachieved.

Arthur pigby sellers.

People continually bring up Ole Miss, Clemson and Bama only signing a few players from there respective states.  These schools are extreme exceptions to the rule and they are recruiting at a much higher level than us.  All of these schools could fill up on instate recruits but they are recruiting nationally.  Arkansas probably will never be able to nationally very well. 
     Ole Miss is very likely cheating.  They are able to bring a player like Treadwell down from Illinois much easier when they are paying him to come.  Our lone signee from Miss Grayson Gunter dad was a rebel fball player.  They could have gotten him if they wanted, but they decided not to offer. 
Clemson is only a few hours from Atl and one of the biggest recruiting hotbeds in the US.  Bama has possibly the best fball coach ever and has won numerous Nat championships.  They can go into any house in any state in the country and have a chance to sign the recruit. 
We are
Not in that situation at this time, but we are the only school in our state.  Our ceiling is proportional to the amount of Arkansas talent we can get. 

hvsupastar

There are some guys from smaller schools that are getting serious looks from Arkansas that I'm not sure 247 or rivals have ever heard of. Monta Thomas from Hermitage and Dezmon Jackson from Parkers Chapel.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

redeye

Ole Miss is also closer to New Orleans, Birmingham, Atlanta and a whole lot of other places that produce bundles of talent, but are far from Fayetteville.

But, whatever Ole Miss is doing is on another level and really can't be compared to anyone else.  They're like Oregon, but better and don't have Nike to explain it all their success.  I'd never blame any school for failing to achieve the impossible task that Ole Miss has somehow figured out, and if they're cheating to do it, then they'll eventually regret it, because they have to be doing it on a whole different level then everyone else.

BirmingHam

Nosboar Accubond

Believe it or not but Arkansas actually is a top 15 state as far as producing FBS players per capita... We have two main issues:

1. We are a small state. Per capita we are almost on pace with Texas and California.
2. The states ranked ahead of us out pace us at an alarming rate. Florida produces FBS athletes at a rate of 3 to 1 better than Arkansas. Louisiana more than 2 to 1. So while we are top 15, we have to close that gap somehow.

We are ranked ahead of: Oklahoma, Michigan, Oregon, 

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-states-produce-tons-of-fbs-talent/

Acer4

I hear a lot about the Powell kid from Fayetteville.  I've seen him play some the last few years.  My concerns with him are the same I had with Storey.  Not that big and hasnt grown much since 8th grade(limited upside).  Average arm and average athlete.  Great HS QB but not sure SEC