Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

State of Arkansas class 2017

Started by PLHawg, February 03, 2016, 02:37:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RME

Quote from: Acer4 on February 10, 2016, 08:54:43 am
I hear a lot about the Powell kid from Fayetteville.  I've seen him play some the last few years.  My concerns with him are the same I had with Storey.  Not that big and hasnt grown much since 8th grade(limited upside).  Average arm and average athlete.  Great HS QB but not sure SEC

Same concerns as Storey? The guy who had offers from Auburn, Alabama, Louisville, and Arkansas?

Acer4

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 10, 2016, 10:44:49 am
Same concerns as Storey? The guy who had offers from Auburn, Alabama, Louisville, and Arkansas?
Yep and the guy doesnt look that good.  Have you watched him practice?  I have.  Several times.  Bama and Aubie have offered many bad QB's the last 10 years.  Storey in junior high and early high school was portrayed as this big strong armed qb.  However he never grew past 8th grade

RME

Quote from: Acer4 on February 10, 2016, 12:29:16 pm
Yep and the guy doesnt look that good.  Have you watched him practice?  I have.  Several times.  Bama and Aubie have offered many bad QB's the last 10 years.  Storey in junior high and early high school was portrayed as this big strong armed qb.  However he never grew past 8th grade

Nah, I haven't. Are you paid millions of dollars to evaluate talent and prospects during recruitment? I doubt it. I'll trust the coaches on the guys that they go after.

Thank God we base small portions of what "we've" seen in practices or games on how guys will perform. Has Austin Allen really looked that great during his game experience? I don't think he has. But I think the coaches know what they're doing with him, so I'll leave it up to them and not myself.

#1 STUNNA

Dennis Daniels impresses the heck out of me... not sure he is Arkansas good but his tape is really good... and all his brothers were D1

justmakeit2thebcs

Breakdown of 2015 roster.  Scholarship players only.

NWA - 9
Fort Smith area - 3
Central Ark - 4
PB - 3
Rest of Ark - 8

Uncommon

Here's the breakdown of the 24 current 2016 in-state Hogs for those interested:
6 from Fayetteville, Springdale, and Bentonville area
Austin Allen
Brooks Ellis
Dre Greenlaw
Jake Hall
Jack Kraus
CJ O'Grady

6 from Conway, Little Rock, and Pine Bluff area
Juan Day
TJ Hammonds
Colton Jackson
Josh Liddell
Kevin Richardson II
Jeremy Sprinkle

3 from Fort Smith area
Daytrieon Dean
Drew Morgan
Ty Storey

3 from El Dorado area
Jamario Bell
Bijhon Jackson
Jordan Jones

2 from Texarkana area
McTelvin Agim
La'Michael Pettway

2 from Monticello area
Austin Capps
Will Gragg

1 from NEA
Deon Stewart

1 from Memphis-West Memphis Area
Tevin Beanum

redleg

2017 Dirty Dozen -  :razorback:
DL Akial Byers 6'4" 265 lbs. 4.9 Fayetteville
QB Taylor Powell 6'2" 200 lbs. 4.7 Fayetteville
WR Joshua Johnson 5'11" 170 lbs. 4.5 CAC
ATH Darius Hopkins 6'1" 175 lbs. 4.5 Nashville
ATH Monta Thomas 5'10" 195 lbs. 4.5 Hermitage
RB Myles Fells 5'10" 185 lbs. 4.5 Pulaski Robinson
RB Pierre Strong 6'0" 195 lbs. 4.5 LR McClellan
WR Cualan Williams 6'3" 205 lbs. 4.48 Stamps
TE Jonathan McCoy 6'7" 215 lbs. 4.8 Camden Fairview
ATH Jonathan Adams Jr. 6'3" 185 lbs. 4.45 Jonesboro
RB Alex Day 5'8" 190 lbs. 4.5 NLR
LB Easton Seidl 6'1" 230 lbs. 4.7 Cabot
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

ricepig

Uncommon

Well we know he'll be in the 2017 class then with Derrick Munson.

whosiskid

Quote from: Acer4 on February 10, 2016, 12:29:16 pm

Good lord. This again.

Storey wowed professional scouts time and time again in a string of camps and combines. Most people have had great things to say about him at Arkansas, but we get the occasional person who claims to have the real scoop on him. This small cadre of football geniuses claim that all the scouts were wrong and they are right, that they see faults that no one else has seen. Where everyone else sees a strong arm, they see a noodle. According to them Storey was named MaxPrep Small School High School Player of the Year through smoke and mirrors. That he should never have been a Parade All American. That Trent Dilfer needed a new contacts prescription when as a junior he said that Storey had the strongest arm of anyone at that regional and was a favorite to compete for the Elite 11 MVP (not knowing that Storey was a junior and therefore not eligible for the finals - a minor injury as a senior kept Storey from reaching the finals, though he still got rave reviews).

I am not sure what is behind the "Storey is awful" movement. He may not prove to be a great QB or even a good one. But I simply refuse to believe that all the rest of the world is wrong about Storey's arm until I see it myself. And on film he looks like he has a great arm. I haven't seen footage from the last year and a half, but it is hard to believe he hit campus and suddenly had his arm give out on him. These claims don't pass the smell test.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Acer4

Storey wowed me when I saw him in the high school.  The guy was a man playing with boys.  But like I said he had a full man beard in 7th grade.  That is not always bad but most of the time its not a good thing for future success. I still think the kid is pretty good.  Just don't think he will ever pan out to be a great SEC QB

IronHog

Quote from: whosiskid on February 11, 2016, 02:44:01 pm
Good lord. This again.

Storey wowed professional scouts time and time again in a string of camps and combines. Most people have had great things to say about him at Arkansas, but we get the occasional person who claims to have the real scoop on him. This small cadre of football geniuses claim that all the scouts were wrong and they are right, that they see faults that no one else has seen. Where everyone else sees a strong arm, they see a noodle. According to them Storey was named MaxPrep Small School High School Player of the Year through smoke and mirrors. That he should never have been a Parade All American. That Trent Dilfer needed a new contacts prescription when as a junior he said that Storey had the strongest arm of anyone at that regional and was a favorite to compete for the Elite 11 MVP (not knowing that Storey was a junior and therefore not eligible for the finals - a minor injury as a senior kept Storey from reaching the finals, though he still got rave reviews).

I am not sure what is behind the "Storey is awful" movement. He may not prove to be a great QB or even a good one. But I simply refuse to believe that all the rest of the world is wrong about Storey's arm until I see it myself. And on film he looks like he has a great arm. I haven't seen footage from the last year and a half, but it is hard to believe he hit campus and suddenly had his arm give out on him. These claims don't pass the smell test.

Story is very Blane Gabbert, Brady Quinn on his HS film.

Big dude that can muscle the ball but not a natural thrower that can spin it.....
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

redleg

To be honest with you, if he can help the Hogs win, and win big, I don't care if he's not a natural spinner and doesn't make it in the NFL. He'll have a college degree, AND, he will have helped my Hogs to many victories.

Honesty. ↑

redleg

Quote from: redleg on February 11, 2016, 01:56:39 pm
Add ATH Jarrod Barnes 5'11" 170 lbs. 4.5 of Cabot to the list since he now has an actual offer from the Hogs. That makes it a Dirty Baker's Dozen.

arkbadger

Quote from: whosiskid on February 11, 2016, 02:44:01 pm
That Trent Dilfer needed a new contacts prescription when as a junior he said that Storey had the strongest arm of anyone at that regional

not disagreeing, but bringing Trent Dilfer into the argument probably isn't the best defense
You can keep that skoal baby.

IronHog

Quote from: redleg on February 12, 2016, 09:32:29 am
To be honest with you, if he can help the Hogs win, and win big, I don't care if he's not a natural spinner and doesn't make it in the NFL. He'll have a college degree, AND, he will have helped my Hogs to many victories.

Honesty. ↑

I'm just trying to clarify why some people think he has a rocket arm and others a noodle.....

Depends on the throw..... roll outs and moderate throws he can muscle he shows tremendous velocity......timing type go routes, deep posts, outs etc from the pocket he showed some mechanical issues and sometimes struggled to get the ball there......

Arm talent alone does not make a QB......LSUs QB can really spin it.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

jgphillips3

Quote from: redleg on February 12, 2016, 09:35:18 am
Add ATH Jarrod Barnes 5'11" 170 lbs. 4.5 of Cabot to the list since he now has an actual offer from the Hogs. That makes it a Dirty Baker's Dozen.

Might want to put Montaric Brown in there too.

HogNDas

Quote from: Acer4 on February 11, 2016, 03:01:56 pm
Storey wowed me when I saw him in the high school.  The guy was a man playing with boys.  But like I said he had a full man beard in 7th grade.  That is not always bad but most of the time its not a good thing for future success. I still think the kid is pretty good.  Just don't think he will ever pan out to be a great SEC QB

Jury is still out... Storey played in a small classification, but so did Brad Taylor!... He was a 4* so he obviously "wow'ed" someone....I believe Ty will be a STAR as a HOG.  Never wavered in his commitment!  UNCOMMON!     :razorback:

tophawg19

Jonathon McCoy is one that i think blows up this year . he needs more weight but can easily carry 25 to 30 more pounds and can really jump. he is a good basket ball player as well and has good hands
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Vantage 8 dude

February 12, 2016, 11:58:23 pm #119 Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 12:12:10 am by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: JaketheSnake on February 04, 2016, 08:59:27 pm
Those Fayet boys have done a great job representing the UofA! BA finally showed out and Ellis has played well.  Anyone saying a single player was responsible for any loss doesn't understand and probably never played the game.
Could be another simple explanation: Just a miserably unhappy and unfulfilled individual. 

BTW putting such a load of blame on Ellis for various losses immediately reminded me of the same tripe and venom spewed out about BA going into his junior year. Couldn't come through in the clutch, was (solely) responsible for a loss, blah..blah..blah. Ludicrous comments then and ignorant remarks now. How very sad for the person making them.

Acer4

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 12, 2016, 08:33:04 pm
Jonathon McCoy is one that i think blows up this year . he needs more weight but can easily carry 25 to 30 more pounds and can really jump. he is a good basket ball player as well and has good hands
Have you watched him lay basketball?  I've never seen a softer big man in my life.  Really embarrassing to see him on this list

scruf

Alex Day is not as fast as advertised. He gets run down a lot. Has trouble cutting back in the second level and as a result he gets caught from behind. Good but not great back. WPS

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Blytheville has at least a RB that is good enough for the SEC.  There's a couple sleeper kids in that town.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

tophawg19

Quote from: Acer4 on February 13, 2016, 11:41:03 am
Have you watched him lay basketball?  I've never seen a softer big man in my life.  Really embarrassing to see him on this list
We since he's drawing a lot of recruiting interest in both sports , i'd have to disagree with you. As does a bunch of coaches
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hawg_Rilla1

Monta Thomas runs a 4.40 he ran it at the Arkansas camp last summer.

scruf

I like it when a player struggles and should be benched but still leads the team in tackles, lol

scruf

My take on the Top 10 P5 Conference prospects in the 2017 State of Arkansas HS Class (in no order) and what position I think they'll play in college:

S Montaric Brown
DT Akial Byers
CB Jarrod Barnes
QB Taylor Powell
LB Cualan Williams
S Koilan Jackson
RB Pierre Strong
CB Monta Thomas
S Darius Hopkins
RB Dezmon Jackson

razorhog52

Are Nathan Page at Robinson and Demekko Clark sp? Sophomores? Or have they fallen out of that elite group?

razorhog52

Just looked it up, appears Page is class of '18, but still would like to know on Clark.

scruf

Quote from: razorhog52 on February 15, 2016, 12:24:48 pm
Are Nathan Page at Robinson and Demekko Clark sp? Sophomores? Or have they fallen out of that elite group?

Clark is '17. I don't remember him having reached elite status as a D1 prospect.

ricepig

Quote from: scruf on February 15, 2016, 12:36:48 pm
Clark is '17. I don't remember him having reached elite status as a D1 prospect.

Well, only those who have actually been offered a D-I scholarship are at that level, correct?

scruf

Quote from: ricepig on February 15, 2016, 12:45:22 pm
Well, only those who have actually been offered a D-I scholarship are at that level, correct?

To quote Dark Helmet from Spaceballs: "Yes. That."

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Cure

Quote from: scruf on February 04, 2016, 05:34:31 pm
Uh, yes please. Looks like a kid that winds up a 4*. Too bad he wasn't class of 2016. Wow.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/6449794/highlights/292668439/v3
He should definitely get that 4th star. If he can hit that 4.4-4.5 range in camp, he'll certainly need to stay in-state ad play for the Hogs.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Tim Harris

Acer4

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 17, 2016, 03:01:45 pm
Josh Johnson got offered by ND.
Is he committed to Indiana?  If so why?

Tim Harris

Quote from: Acer4 on February 17, 2016, 03:05:47 pm
Is he committed to Indiana?  If so why?

Not sure I asked the question back on page 1 to see if anyone knew him or why he picked Indiana but it probably got lost in all the other garbage of this thread.  Trying to clean it up now so it is actually about the prospects.