Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What the initial bracket of a 8 team play off would look like 2010-2017

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, December 15, 2017, 05:50:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

I'm an advocate of a 8 team play off system. Whether you use a play off committee or the AP rankings, it should be 8 teams. 4 just isn't enough if there is a true play off system. Because the AP has been around longer, that is what I am using here for consistency.

Bad draws for Arkansas in 2010 and 2011 but at least we could have said that we were in the play offs. Who knows what might have happened the second time around against these teams?

I think that this format would have provided more excitement and more good games during bowl seasons that have seemed to be ever more populated with games like Checotah State vs. Hog Waller State in the Odor Eaters Bowl.

2017 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Clemson                 (8. USC
(2) Oklahoma               (7) Auburn
(3) Georgia                  (6) Wisconsin
(4) Alabama                 (5) Ohio State

2016 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Alabama                 (8. Wisconsin
(2) Ohio State              (7) Oklahoma
(3) Clemson                 (6) Michigan
(4) Washington             (5) Penn State

2015 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Clemson                 (8. Notre Dame
(2) Alabama                 (7) Ohio State
(3) Michigan St.            (6) Iowa
(4) Oklahoma                (5) Stanford

2014 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Alabama                 (8. Miss State
(2) Florida State           (7) Michigan St.
(3) Oregon                   (6) TCU
(4) Baylor                    (5) Ohio State

2013 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Florida State            (8. S. Carolina
(2) Auburn                    (7) Ohio State
(3) Alabama                  (6) Baylor
(4) Michigan St.             (5) Stanford

2012 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Alabama                  (8. Florida State
(2) Oregon                    (7) S. Carolina
(3) Notre Dame              (6) Stanford
(4) Georgia                   (5) Texas A&M

2011 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) LSU                        (8. Boise State
(2) Alabama                  (7) Arkansas
(3) Oklahoma St.           (6) Oregon
(4) Stanford                  (5) USC

2010 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Auburn                    (8. Arkansas
(2) Oregon                    (7) Michigan St.
(3) TCU                        (6) Ohio State
(4) Wisconsin                (5) Stanford
Go Hogs Go!

Peter Porker

No thanks. 4 is fine. If we go to 8 then some won't he satisfied so the answer will be to go to 16.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 15, 2017, 06:01:53 am
No thanks. 4 is fine. If we go to 8 then some won't he satisfied so the answer will be to go to 16.

4 is too few, 16 too many, 8 is just right. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

NorthDallas40

bphi11ips

Definitely need 8.  Nice reminder where Arkansas was this time of the year in 2010 and 2011.  Not bad for a school at the bottom of its conference in a terrible location in a state with bad high school football.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

jgphillips3

It is painfully obvious that we need at least 6 but preferably 8.  It doesn't ever need to be more than 8.  Unlike basketball, I don't think we would ever see a team below 9 have a legitimate shot at winning but a 1-8 seed can win a title in basketball. 

All P5 champions should make it plus the three best available.  That way an 11-1 Arkansas doesn't get left out if our only loss was Bama and a 10-2 Arkansas would be viable (ala 2010 & 2011). This would give conference championship games meaning and protect the really good teams who fell just short. 

You could easily accommodate the extra games by just giving the four highest seeds a home game the week after conference championships.  The winners advance to the playoff format we have now.  It's so easy to do that it's absurd we don't do it.

snf6278

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 15, 2017, 07:13:24 am

No mistake. It's the AP.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings
I think if it goes to an 8 team playoff UCF would get in as a G5 team. Similar to the BCS format several years ago (Boise, Hawaii, Utah). Not what I'd go for but I just feel like that would be the driving point.

hogsanity

We had an 8 team playoff already. Aub/GA  Miami/Clem Wisc/OSu  OU/TCU

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bphi11ips

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 15, 2017, 07:28:36 am
It is painfully obvious that we need at least 6 but preferably 8.  It doesn't ever need to be more than 8.  Unlike basketball, I don't think we would ever see a team below 9 have a legitimate shot at winning but a 1-8 seed can win a title in basketball. 

All P5 champions should make it plus the three best available.  That way an 11-1 Arkansas doesn't get left out if our only loss was Bama and a 10-2 Arkansas would be viable (ala 2010 & 2011). This would give conference championship games meaning and protect the really good teams who fell just short. 

You could easily accommodate the extra games by just giving the four highest seeds a home game the week after conference championships.  The winners advance to the playoff format we have now.  It's so easy to do that it's absurd we don't do it.

A true playoff has no room for subjectivity.  Under the current FBS structure, the only way to have a true playoff is to give a berth to every conference champion.  That would mean 10 teams.  Anything else leaves a crack for a mythical champion.  The four-team playoff is just as mythical as the old voting system, it is just more defensible.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

lilRockNDubb

NEA_HogFan

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on December 15, 2017, 08:50:55 am
Do 6.
#1 and #2 get bye weeks
3 vs 6
4 vs 5

This is what I've been saying. 5 conference winners and the best G5 team.

hvsupastar

I actually would prefer 12 like the NFL uses. 

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Alabama

All get first round byes.  Matchups for round 2 will be made after round 1 with the highest seed playing the lowest seed. 

5. Ohio State vs 12. Washington
6. Wisconsin vs. 11. Miami
7. Auburn vs 10. Central Florida
8. USC vs 9. Penn State

That would make for a great month of College Football

"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

jgphillips3

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 15, 2017, 08:46:06 am
A true playoff has no room for subjectivity.  Under the current FBS structure, the only way to have a true playoff is to give a berth to every conference champion.  That would mean 10 teams.  Anything else leaves a crack for a mythical champion.  The four-team playoff is just as mythical as the old voting system, it is just more defensible.

I agree in part and disagree in part.  The chance of a G5 team being good enough to beat 3 consecutive P5 teams is not zero, but so close as to effectively be called zero.  So we can either exclude their champions and take that "one great G5" team as an at large or force them to split into FBS Division II or something as a worst case scenario. The reason I believe in the 8 team model is taking all P5 champions plus the best of the next 3.  This year, maybe UCF could have a shot at the playoffs in such an arrangement as the best G5 team.  The committee would have only three teams to pick but eight teams to seed.  Based upon this year, I personally would have it as:

1.Clemson v. 8. UCF (since Auburn would make 3 SEC teams and has two losses)
2. Georgia v. 7. Wisconsin
3. Oklahoma v. 6. Ohio State
4. Alabama v. 5. USC   

LRRandy

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 15, 2017, 06:01:53 am
I agree that 4 is all that is needed. Does the best team in the country have a chance to win the national championship? A four team playoff gets that done. More than 4 is just salve to the wounds of teams that couldn't finish in the top 4.
This is fun, isn't it.

Wmhog

you need all 5 power 5 conf champs, at least one from lower conferences and 2 at large.  How can you will a power 5 conf and be left out?

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: NEA_HogFan on December 15, 2017, 08:56:19 am

A conference champ and the best G5 might not be 1 of the best 6 but it gives each one a chance at a spot. It would quiet a lot of complainers.

Michaelt

Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: snf6278 on December 15, 2017, 07:40:12 am
I think if it goes to an 8 team playoff UCF would get in as a G5 team. Similar to the BCS format several years ago (Boise, Hawaii, Utah). Not what I'd go for but I just feel like that would be the driving point.

Yeah, if you go to 8, you almost have to guarantee 1 spot to a Group of 5 team to make it fair.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: hogsanity on December 15, 2017, 08:35:01 am

I don't see Alabama listed there. Also, the winner of the Wisc/OSu game did not advance.

RME

Quote from: NEA_HogFan on December 15, 2017, 08:56:19 am

I agree.

5 P5 conference championships
1 G5 (highest-ranked G5 conference champion)
2 at-large

But then it could be argued that the 2 "at-large" teams are BS. It's a never-ending cycle.

Hogwild

Four is the right amount, of the 8 teams you listed 3 teams lost their final game of the season.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 15, 2017, 08:46:06 am

Something you and I agree on.

There will be no true playoff until there is a set criteria for playing your way in.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawgmasta

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 15, 2017, 06:20:31 am

I was against it until you just broke it down honestly. More football is always good, and those would have been great matchups regardless if Arkansas was in it or not. I think it definitely gives schools who don't get that bump due to name recognition a better chance. Most schools don't start until mid January so it wouldn't be affecting their schoolwork.

It's all about money in the long run so I think they will continue to expand it.

Its always fun to play what if.  We must consider that eventually these college teams need to get back to the studies side of their requirements.

I would like to see all conferences be 10 teams or less in size.  That way, every team plays every team in conference.  Every conference winner would enter the playoffs.  Highest ranked playing lowest ranked with home team being highest ranked.  Money should be divided with set fee for the visitors.  All visitors get the same amount fee to visit. 

The reason I would like a normal 10 game season is so you could have playoffs without playing 15 to 17 games.  Every team would be entitled to play 12 games and every team could practice until the final play off game is finished annually.  All non-playoff teams could hook up and play another 2 games against anyone who desired to play them, where at and however they wished, so everyone gets 12 games at least unless they choose not to.  People don't think much about the fact that bowl teams get to practice and get better for another 4 to 6 weeks beyond the bad teams, thus pushing the bad teams even further down.  Just think, what if Arkansas could be practicing right now.

With this system, you give every team a chance to win it all, starting from the first game of the season.  You are never voted out, you play yourself out.

Bacons Rebellion

I thought 2 teams was the best for an Arkansas national championship.

In the SEC, we would have a better chance of getting to a championship game with a two team playoff than with any other format. We just have to win an SECCG with zero or one losses.

In any other scenario we have to win extra games. If we get to the playoffs in an 8 team playoff we have a 12.5% chance of winning the playoff -- they are all going to be pretty good teams -- AFTER we had to win the SEC. We may slip into an 8 team playoff without winning the SECCG, but the I think our overall chances of #1 go down.

oldhog63

Is 16 too many if the conference championship games are considered the first round of 16? P5 championship games would include 10 teams. Have 3 other at-large games (highest 6 ranked teams not in a P5 conference championship game). I don't see how anyone could argue against that. With 4 teams, there will always be questioning whether teams 5-8 are better than team 4.

Supermark101

Quote from: hogsanity on December 15, 2017, 08:35:01 am

Did OSU and Wisconsin tie? Because neither advanced

hogsanity

Quote from: Supermark101 on December 15, 2017, 10:09:34 am
Did OSU and Wisconsin tie? Because neither advanced

Wisc would have had they won. OSU admittedly needed a little more help and they did not get in.

Supermark101

Quote from: hogsanity on December 15, 2017, 10:10:50 am
Wisc would have had they won. OSU admittedly needed a little more help and they did not get in.

Thats not how playoffs work.

HogPharmer

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on December 15, 2017, 09:53:30 am
I thought 2 teams was the best for an Arkansas national championship.

In the SEC, we would have a better chance of getting to a championship game with a two team playoff than with any other format. We just have to win an SECCG with zero or one losses.

In any other scenario we have to win extra games. If we get to the playoffs in an 8 team playoff we have a 12.5% chance of winning the playoff -- they are all going to be pretty good teams -- AFTER we had to win the SEC. We may slip into an 8 team playoff without winning the SECCG, but the I think our overall chances of #1 go down.

That's like saying if the Hogs played the New England Patriots, we would have a 50% chance of winning. That's not how it works.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

RME

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 15, 2017, 10:25:33 am
That's like saying if the Hogs played the New England Patriots, we would have a 50% chance of winning. That's not how it works.

Hey now...there's a 50% chance it'll snow every day of the year.

Either it will or it won't.

;)

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 15, 2017, 05:50:29 am
I'm an advocate of a 8 team play off system. Whether you use a play off committee or the AP rankings, it should be 8 teams. 4 just isn't enough if there is a true play off system. Because the AP has been around longer, that is what I am using here for consistency.

Bad draws for Arkansas in 2010 and 2011 but at least we could have said that we were in the play offs. Who knows what might have happened the second time around against these teams?

I think that this format would have provided more excitement and more good games during bowl seasons that have seemed to be ever more populated with games like Checotah State vs. Hog Waller State in the Odor Eaters Bowl.

2017 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Clemson                 (8. USC
(2) Oklahoma               (7) Auburn
(3) Georgia                  (6) Wisconsin
(4) Alabama                 (5) Ohio State

2016 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Alabama                 (8. Wisconsin
(2) Ohio State              (7) Oklahoma
(3) Clemson                 (6) Michigan
(4) Washington             (5) Penn State

2015 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Clemson                 (8. Notre Dame
(2) Alabama                 (7) Ohio State
(3) Michigan St.            (6) Iowa
(4) Oklahoma                (5) Stanford

2014 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Alabama                 (8. Miss State
(2) Florida State           (7) Michigan St.
(3) Oregon                   (6) TCU
(4) Baylor                    (5) Ohio State

2013 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Florida State            (8. S. Carolina
(2) Auburn                    (7) Ohio State
(3) Alabama                  (6) Baylor
(4) Michigan St.             (5) Stanford

2012 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Alabama                  (8. Florida State
(2) Oregon                    (7) S. Carolina
(3) Notre Dame              (6) Stanford
(4) Georgia                   (5) Texas A&M

2011 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) LSU                        (8. Boise State
(2) Alabama                  (7) Arkansas
(3) Oklahoma St.           (6) Oregon
(4) Stanford                  (5) USC

2010 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Auburn                    (8. Arkansas
(2) Oregon                    (7) Michigan St.
(3) TCU                        (6) Ohio State
(4) Wisconsin                (5) Stanford

Oh man.  Can you imagine another shot at Auburn with a healthy mallet and on a neutral field!

HogPharmer

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on December 15, 2017, 10:31:21 am
Oh man.  Can you imagine another shot at Auburn with a healthy mallet and on a neutral field!

Tyler Wilson came in that game and is the one who gave us a shot at winning. That would've been an awesome game if we had won it.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

HF#1

Mark Packer did this on his radio show on xm 84. Took him about 6 weeks and I think it is the best plan I've seen so far.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogsanity

Quote from: Supermark101 on December 15, 2017, 10:21:38 am
Thats not how playoffs work.

The NFL is how a playoff works. Before the season starts there is a set criteria to get in. There is no committee picking teams, no comparing the entire body of work, etc. You either win your division or you have one of the best records among non-division winners, period. That is how a playoff works.

College football at the fbs level DOES NOT HAVE A PLAYOFF. The have a 4 team invitational tournament, you do not get in unless the selection committee invites you. Winning your conference is no guarantee of getting in. Winning your division no guarantee. Winning all of your games is no guarantee. The only way to get in is if some committee deems you worthy. THAT IS NOT A PLAYOFF!

The Kid

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 15, 2017, 10:39:16 am
Tyler Wilson came in that game and is the one who gave us a shot at winning. That would've been an awesome game if we had won it.

True
Let's get the train back on the tracks.

GalaHawg

NEA_HogFan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 15, 2017, 09:20:14 am
I agree.

5 P5 conference championships
1 G5 (highest-ranked G5 conference champion)
2 at-large

But then it could be argued that the 2 "at-large" teams are BS. It's a never-ending cycle.

I was talking about a 6 team playoff.

Jonbo

Agreed. My criterion for how many rounds there should be is just enough to have included Boise State just once. He would have learned a little more about whether or not they were legit. I think 3 rounds IS just right.

hog of steele

I like an expanded playoffs. with that you can have 5 automatic spots. Win a power 5 conference and you are in. This would encourage power 5 schools to play tough early season games. Losing those wouldn't matter and could prepare you for your conference schedule.

Then I think you take the best of the rest. UCF this year. Whoever the best G5 school is, let them play. You still have 2 at large spots for the best 2 who aren't in. In that scenario P5 schools have a clear path to the playoffs. Win your conference. If they are left out, it's because they didn't take care of their business. G5 schools get a chance and in most years, the top 5 teams all make the playoffs.

You will never please everybody but I think that answers a lot of questions.

hog of steele

Quote from: Jonbo on December 15, 2017, 10:59:23 am
Agreed. My criterion for how many rounds there should be is just enough to have included Boise State just once. He would have learned a little more about whether or not they were legit. I think 3 rounds IS just right.

3 rounds also gives you Christmas games, New Years games and a national championship game. 4 rounds puts lots of "student-athletes" in games during class time.

RME

Quote from: NEA_HogFan on December 15, 2017, 10:57:55 am
I was talking about a 6 team playoff.

Yeah I know, I meant I agreed with most of your premise.

I do like the 6 team idea though. Would be virtually impossible to dispute it.

The only thing that could be disputed would be the highest-ranked G5 conference champion because someone would, of course, gripe that the AAC champion should be ranked higher than the Mountain West champion or whatever.

But if that's the worst thing that can be disputed, that's a big leap ahead of where it currently stands.

JethroB.

I kind of like the idea of 6 teams. Maybe the conference champs for all P5's then a "wild card" or honorable mention of some sort. Maybe 8 i'm ok with that too....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 15, 2017, 06:36:40 am
Definitely need 8.  Nice reminder where Arkansas was this time of the year in 2010 and 2011.  Not bad for a school at the bottom of its conference in a terrible location in a state with bad high school football.

It can happen again and my guess is that it will at some point. Get the right DC together with the right OC who are willing to work and recruit like the blazes and we might get back there.
Go Hogs Go!

hogcards

Quote from: GalaHawg on December 15, 2017, 10:56:13 am
I'm happy with 4. Makes the regular season more interesting.

I'd be happy with going back to the BCS format. 

The idea that 12 or 13 (not sure about the actual number) humans decide who's in it, defeats and flies in the face of all reason.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona