Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Open Tryouts for Walk-On Players?

Started by NuttinItUp, December 12, 2017, 01:09:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

December 12, 2017, 01:09:34 pm Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 09:19:08 am by NuttinItUp
Does anyone know if Chad Morris is a proponent of open-tryouts on campus to get more walk-on players?

I always thought this was an underutilized strategy by the majority of college coaches. It seems like if you advertised it well and got good student participation you might be able to pick up at least 1 or 2 walkons per year (perhaps more) that might have never played football before but was super-athletic and could be developed. (too small of a school district, international students, etc.) 

It seems like a coach could quickly run those who showed up through a battery of tests (40-time, jump height measurement, strength, etc.) and use those numbers to cull it down to a few who you could look at more extensively.

Thoughts?

EDIT: There is going to be a walk-on tryout on Thursday, March 1: http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/walk-on-tryout-for-university-of-arkansas-students/

PorkSoda

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 12, 2017, 01:09:34 pm
Does anyone know if Chad Morris is a proponent of open-tryouts on campus to get more walk-on players?

I always thought this was an underutilized strategy by the majority of college coaches. It seems like if you advertised it well and got good student participation you might be able to pick up at least 1 or 2 walkons per year (perhaps more) that might have never played football before but was super-athletic and could be developed. (too small of a school district, international students, etc.) 

It seems like a coach could quickly run those who showed up through a battery of tests (40-time, jump height measurement, strength, etc.) and use those numbers to cull it down to a few who you could look at more extensively.

Thoughts?
if that is what we are relying on to field a team, we are screwed.

the likelihood of finding an exceptional athlete that doesn't train or play sports...well even if you found one, they would have no training.  look at how  hard it was for froholt and he actually played some sports in high school
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

RME

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 01:22:35 pm

the likelihood of finding an exceptional athlete that doesn't train or play sports...well even if you found one, they would have not training.

That's not at all what the OP said. Nowhere did he mention "relying on walkons" to field a team.

Yet again, your brilliant cynicism and hatred of everything pervade, well, everything.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 12, 2017, 01:24:08 pm
That's not at all what the OP said. Nowhere did he mention "relying on walkons" to field a team.

Yet again, your brilliant cynicism and hatred of everything pervade, well, everything.

I know right?  As a marketing tool and to maybe find a diamond in the rough what's the harm?  It lets the program engage students that played football and are probably huge football fans.  99% of those guys know they won't make it and would be excited just to have an opportunity to give it a shot.  The cynicism on here is so depressing.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Roadhog82

RME

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 12, 2017, 01:26:59 pm
I know right?  As a marketing tool and to maybe find a diamond in the rough what's the harm?  It lets the program engage students that played football and are probably huge football fans.  99% of those guys know they won't make it and would be excited just to have an opportunity to give it a shot.  The cynicism on here is so depressing.

Absolutely agree.

No, 99999999.999999999% of the time you aren't gonna find a JJ Watt or Brandon Burlsworth or Jordy Nelson or Ziggy Ansah. But what's the harm in looking for someone that can be developed and played?

Plus, walkons contribute to the team in more ways than just "relying on them to play." But that concept is probably too hard to grasp for some.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 12, 2017, 01:26:59 pm
I suppose if you think we are short on practice squad players, if you are lucky your "diamond in the rough" can help out there.  I just figure the coaches will be busy with our actual program and aren't looking for side work to add to their 60+ hour work weeks
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

RME

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 01:32:25 pm
I suppose if you think we are short on practice squad players, if you are lucky your "diamond in the rough" can help out there.  I just figure the coaches will be busy with our actual program and aren't looking for side work to add to their 60+ hour work weeks

Because one or two 3-hour sessions to look at prospects is gonna just ******** everything up.

PorkSoda

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 12, 2017, 01:33:44 pm
Because one or two 3-hour sessions to look at prospects is gonna just ******** everything up.
sure, why don't you email them your idea.  I'm sure they will be thrilled that you are finding stuff for them to do in their free time between preparing PB&J sandwiches and searching hogville for coaching tips.

RME

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 01:35:46 pm
sure, why don't you email them your idea.  I'm sure they will be thrilled that you are finding stuff for them to do in their free time between preparing PB&J sandwiches and searching hogville for coaching tips.

I don't have to email them. They're the ones who've made it this far doing what they do and they're the ones getting paid millions to do it.

By your logic, you should also email them your idea and tell them not to and that it's a waste of their time.

Solid.

steveaustin69

the likelihood of finding an exceptional athlete that doesn't train or play sports...well even if you found one, they would have no training.  look at how  hard it was for froholt and he actually played some sports in high school

Why are you the way that you are?

PorkSoda

Quote from: steveaustin69 on December 12, 2017, 01:36:52 pm
and what way is that?  adding a little realistic perspective?

I sorry I hurt the OP's feelings by not immediately slobbering over his brilliant idea to improve our recruiting.

tbhogfan

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 12, 2017, 01:09:34 pm

Thoughts?
I'd like to see something like that to get someone like aTm's 12th man for special teams.   Great publicity, and could potentially attract a true "diamond in the rough" type player.

Go Hogs!

Busta_Nutt

Just when we thought you were coming around and really starting to post meaningful thoughts, you go and imply that OP is saying we're going to field a team of walk-ons. Please, comprehend before you type. Having a strong walk-on program can immensely help your program, whether the athlete is a preferred or a tryout.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on December 12, 2017, 01:44:55 pm
Just when we thought you we're coming around and really starting to post meaningful thoughts, you go and imply that OP is saying we're going to field a team of walk-ons. Please, comprehend before you type. Having a strong walk-on program can immensely help your program, whether the athlete is a preferred or a tryout.
we have a walk on program.  it recruits kids that actually played football in HS's to join it.

I'm not sure scouring the chess club for "diamonds in the rough" is going to produce the results to justify the effort.

steveaustin69

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 01:46:59 pm
we have a walk on program.  it recruits kids that actually played football in HS's to join it.

I'm not sure scouring the chess club for "diamonds in the rough" is going to produce the results to justify the effort.

RME

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 01:46:59 pm

I'm not sure scouring the chess club for "diamonds in the rough" is going to either there results to justify the effort.

Know a lot of chess club-type guys that are gonna come out and think they have a shot to play SEC football?

PorkSoda

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 12, 2017, 01:48:10 pm
Know a lot of chess club-type guys that are gonna come out and think they have a shot to play SEC football?
do you know a lot of guys that never played football that are ?

BearsBisonsBoars

I could see a soccer player adapting to DB pretty well. They already train to take angles and some of the zone/man coverages are similar. You'd have to teach hand technique and some of the finer points, but it might be possible if the player is a superb athlete.

Edit. I'm not saying this is likely. Just playing devil's advocate

jkstock04

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 01:35:46 pm
I would wager the pb&j days are over with.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

RME

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 01:49:04 pm
do you know a lot of guys that never played football that are ?

A lot? No.

Like I said above, 9999999.99999999% of the time you aren't gonna find one.

But, to humor me, look up Ziggy Ansah real quick.

PorkSoda

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on December 12, 2017, 01:49:51 pm
I could see a soccer player adapting to DB pretty well. They already train to take angles and some of the zone/man coverages are similar. You'd have to teach hand technique and some of the finer points, but it might be possible if the player is a superb athlete.
like I said before.  if the coaches think we are short of players to field a practice squad, then sure.  these coaches do not have infinite time and resources, and thus will likely be focusing said time and resources on things they feel will produce results.

PorkSoda

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 12, 2017, 01:51:23 pm
A lot? No.

lol, so you think more than 100% of the time we aren't going to find one?  then why do it?

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 01:52:37 pm
like I said before.  if the coaches think we are short of players to field a practice squad, then sure.  these coaches do not have infinite time and resources, and thus will likely be focusing said time and resources on things they feel will produce results.

No doubt. My comment was more of a "how can I make this work" sort of thing.

RME

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 01:53:29 pm
lol, so you think more than 100% of the time we aren't going to find one?  then why do it?

I'm sure you know what hyperbole is.

Why not do it if it can prove to be more beneficial to the program as a whole?

factchecker

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 12, 2017, 01:51:23 pm
A lot? No.

or Nick Hardwick
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 01:53:29 pm

Even if he wrote it correctly, that's a terrible ROI.

Mick Hogger

Quote from: steveaustin69 on December 12, 2017, 01:36:52 pm

I thought it was just politics. These past couple of weeks have been really telling.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

RME

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on December 12, 2017, 01:56:03 pm

Even if he wrote it correctly, that's a terrible ROI.

Again, forgive me for assuming people understand hyperbole.

Forgot this wasn't MENSA. I'll be sure to bee 100% literal 100% of the time from now on. Did I use it correctly that time?

PorkSoda

RME

PorkSoda

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 12, 2017, 01:55:03 pm
I'm sure you know what hyperbole is.

Why not do it if it can prove to be more beneficial to the program as a whole?
I'm not sure you know what hyperbole is.  what you wrote is non sequitur.

RME

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 02:02:15 pm
I'm not sure you know what hyperbole is.  what you wrote is non sequitur.

Oh, Christ.

Pigsknuckles

Spotted Broyles on a couple of occasions in the early 70's lurking around the intramural fields during our dorm football tournaments. Always wondered if he was scouting for undiscovered talent. Some of those guys were pretty good.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

greenEGnHAWGS

Sad. Some people like to argue just for arguings sake. OP writes about our coaches use of walk one and some guy goes takes it to the extreme. Smh..:
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

DeltaBoy

Dr. Tom did it at Nebraska for years.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogberry Snortcake

Hogberry Snortcake was a walk-on.  Look at how that turned out!

Nevermind. 

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

BigSexyHog

Maybe we can find another Ray Biggers who can get 10-12 touches a game.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 12, 2017, 01:58:35 pm
Again, forgive me for assuming people understand hyperbole.

Forgot this wasn't MENSA. I'll be sure to bee 100% literal 100% of the time from now on. Did I use it correctly that time?

Hyperbole aside, even if you score one kid per season doing this. (Which is beyond generous) it's not a good use of the coaches time imo

311Hog

Porcius Magnus

Quote from: tbhogfan on December 12, 2017, 01:43:03 pm
I'd like to see something like that to get someone like aTm's 12th man for special teams.   Great publicity, and could potentially attract a true "diamond in the rough" type player.

This is exactly what I was thinking.  I watched a game where they placed that game's 12th Man on Special Teams.  He absolutely laid the wood on the punt returner and probably became a legend on the aTm campus. 

BearsBisonsBoars

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

thebignasty

lol this thread is victim of the necessity to have a scorching hot take.

of course open walkon tryouts are extremely unlikely to turn out anything useful, but you can't tell me that we don't have the resources to put a ga or recruiting coordinator out there for a couple hours on a weekend letting a handful of interested guys run a couple 40s and darn.  The investment would be so minuscule that even if all it did was engender some good spirit among students for the program it would probably be worth it.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

NuttinItUp

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 01:41:55 pm
and what way is that?  adding a little realistic perspective?

I sorry I hurt the OP's feelings by not immediately slobbering over his brilliant idea to improve our recruiting.

You didn't hurt my feelings. I am used to the internet.

I can see your point about it taking up coaches time, but I still think the potential benefits outweigh the time costs.

If Morris doesn't want his position coaches taking time to do it, he could have the graduate assistants do it and report back if they found any diamonds.

PorkSoda

Quote from: thebignasty on December 12, 2017, 02:46:59 pm
lol this thread is victim of the necessity to have a scorching hot take.

of course open walkon tryouts are extremely unlikely to turn out anything useful, but you can't tell me that we don't have the resources to put a ga or recruiting coordinator out there for a couple hours on a weekend letting a handful of interested guys run a couple 40s and darn.  The investment would be so minuscule that even if all it did was engender some good spirit among students for the program it would probably be worth it.
seems like students already have the opportunity to try out

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/walk_on_tryouts_set_for_feb_4_206080660/

"FAYETTEVILLE – The University of Arkansas football team will hold walk-on tryouts Monday, Feb. 4 at 2 p.m. inside Walker Pavilion.

Only full-time students enrolled in at least 12 hours are eligible for the tryout. Students interested in trying out must bring proof of an athletic physical in the last six months, a sickle cell test and insurance. Students needing a physical should take this form when they get their physical.

A sign-up sheet is located at the front desk of the Broyles Athletic Complex. Interested students should sign up by 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 1."

PorkSoda

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 12, 2017, 02:48:07 pm
You didn't hurt my feelings. I am used to the internet.

I can see your point about it taking up coaches time, but I still think the potential benefits outweigh the time costs.

If Morris doesn't want his position coaches taking time to do it, he could have the graduate assistants do it and report back if they found any diamonds.
right on, for the record I wasn't trying to be a prick either.  it just seems a couple people got their panties in a wad because I had a different opinion.

thebignasty

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 02:51:09 pm
seems like students already have the opportunity to try out

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/walk_on_tryouts_set_for_feb_4_206080660/

"FAYETTEVILLE – The University of Arkansas football team will hold walk-on tryouts Monday, Feb. 4 at 2 p.m. inside Walker Pavilion.

Only full-time students enrolled in at least 12 hours are eligible for the tryout. Students interested in trying out must bring proof of an athletic physical in the last six months, a sickle cell test and insurance. Students needing a physical should take this form when they get their physical.

A sign-up sheet is located at the front desk of the Broyles Athletic Complex. Interested students should sign up by 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 1."

guess we're screwed  8)
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes