Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC or Big 12?

Started by Ben, October 15, 2017, 07:06:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Knowing what you know now, if you were the AD before the SWC breakup, which conference would you have picked for the Hogs?

SEC
Big 12

jvanhorn

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 15, 2017, 11:01:44 pm
We should wait until the Big 12's GOR is about to expire. Then collude with several current Big 12 programs and A&M to form a New SWC.

( New SWC )

1, Arkansas
  2, Kansas
  3, New Mexico 
  4, Oklahoma
  5, Oklahoma state
  6, TCU
  7, Texas
  8, Texas A&M
  9, Texas Tech

Not so fun fact. Arkansas would be the 3rd worst team in this conference this season.

OK, I give up.  How in the hell did New Mexico get in this?

jvanhorn

Kansas State would probably be a better fit than New Mexico.

jvanhorn

Not that it would matter. Texas would run everything anyway. 

hoss cartrack

October 15, 2017, 11:55:15 pm #53 Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:29:50 am by hoss cartrack
Quote from: jvanhorn on October 15, 2017, 11:40:58 pm
By Bamas crap.  Do you mean tired of them winning all the time.  As far as I know all monies are distributed equally, from Arkansas and Vanderbilt .  So you want to leave because you are jealous and envous because they do a better job of winning than you do?
MY POINT EXACTLY!!!!!

folks wanting to leave because they never get to hold the trophy and it isn't fair.    WAAAAAAAAAAA

thank you for your post.  i am tired of the whining.
hey baby....you look like a real bad idea.   come on over herel

rlamb

I seems like there was a similar poll on here some years ago and it was much more
lopsided on the side of staying in the SEC!  I really think a couple more years of getting
our heads caved in by the mini-NFL SEC, the vote will be higher to move to the Big 12.

I've heard the money when all is said and done is not much different between the 2
conferences. Blank Bama and Satan too.

East Clintwood

I think a lot of you are reading the question wrong.

It's not which conference should we be in today.

It's which conference you would have chosen 25 years ago.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Pork Twain

Worst thing we ever did was make a money grab and jump to the SEC.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Al Boarland

Quote from: Seebs on October 15, 2017, 07:09:36 pm
Shaddup about the Big 12. Put your big boy pants on and improve to your rivals' level.

Quitter

This line of thinking is hilarious. I can understand striving for excellence, but you also have to be smart of understand your strengths and weaknesses. You can "want to" all day, but strategy is a major factor. Strategically the big 12 is a better fit.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: jvanhorn on October 15, 2017, 11:42:07 pm

1st, No redundant markets. So it eliminates Baylor, Kansas state, Houston, and SMU.

2nd, Distance from conference members.  So that eliminates both Iowa state and West Virginia.

3rd, Boarder state.  LSU, New Mexico, and Tulane could all be candidates. LSU would be highly doubtful. So that leaves New Mexico or Tulane.

4th, New Mexico, UNM would bring crappy football and competitive basketball to the New SWC. It would also bring a small media market and a bowl game. 

smb

Bama was not that great at the time.
GeorgiaHOG

HatfieldHog

A few years ago, I was listening to talk radio in Western Arkansas and they did an extensive interview of Frank Broyles.  He rehearsed the entire situation and history of why he led us into the SEC and the process it took to get us here.  It was a bold move at the time and was at the cutting edge of the future of College Athletics. 

Like it or not, Broyles took us "light years" ahead of where we'd be had we stayed in the "Longhorn Conf."  All this talk of going back to the Big 12 is nonsense from any level you want to examine it from.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ncrebel on October 15, 2017, 07:30:39 pm
Amazing how stupid Hogville is.  Nebraska, Missouri, A&M, and Colorado are NEVER coming back to the big 12.  They would laugh their a$$es off if we went to that conference, and someone else would take our SEC spot (probably Texas or Oklahoma).  This would be he dumbest move ever by the university. 

And other schools still in it would sell their soul to the devil to get out if they had another P5 conference to go to.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Kevin

anyone who votes for the big 12 does so cause they think we would win more.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Al Boarland on October 16, 2017, 05:49:01 am
This line of thinking is hilarious. I can understand striving for excellence, but you also have to be smart of understand your strengths and weaknesses. You can "want to" all day, but strategy is a major factor. Strategically the big 12 is a better fit.

No it isn't. Good thing you aren't in charge of "strategy" for the school.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: East Clintwood on October 16, 2017, 03:00:50 am
I think a lot of you are reading the question wrong.

It's not which conference should we be in today.

It's which conference you would have chosen 25 years ago.

There wasn't a Big 12 to choose in 1992, so it's a pretty easy call.

Assuming there were was a Big 12, would Arkansas have chosen it?  Probably.  It would have kept Arkansas' then-biggest rivals on the schedule with Texas and A&M, while adding Oklahoma, OSU, Nebraska, and Missouri.  Broyles might well have pulled that trigger had it been there. 

Who knows how that might have panned out, but you'd hate to be stuck in a lifeboat with the likes of K-State, Failor, and Taco Tech if Texas and OU decided to bolt.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Sweet Feet

I never understood how some fans can sit and have this "Champion" mindset to play in the SEC with the big teams as opposed to the Big 12, but be same ones for Arkansas running away against instate competition, something the other SEC schools don't do....Funny

geauxhawgs

Quote from: Ben on October 15, 2017, 07:06:54 pm
Which conference would you have pushed for the Hogs to be in if you were the AD at the time? With the big dogs in the SEC, or with the same SWC rivals along with OU and Nebraska in the Big 12?

Good lord, let it go

East Clintwood

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 16, 2017, 08:32:15 am
There wasn't a Big 12 to choose in 1992, so it's a pretty easy call.

Assuming there were was a Big 12, would Arkansas have chosen it?  Probably.  It would have kept Arkansas' then-biggest rivals on the schedule with Texas and A&M, while adding Oklahoma, OSU, Nebraska, and Missouri.  Broyles might well have pulled that trigger had it been there. 

Who knows how that might have panned out, but you'd hate to be stuck in a lifeboat with the likes of K-State, Failor, and Taco Tech if Texas and OU decided to bolt.

Semantics.

It was called the Big 8 back then.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Seebs

Quote from: Al Boarland on October 16, 2017, 05:49:01 am

Just because you fit into your wife's dress does not mean you should wear it. This is rhetorical of course.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

leroyhawg

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 15, 2017, 11:01:44 pm
We should wait until the Big 12's GOR is about to expire. Then collude with several current Big 12 programs and A&M to form a New SWC.

( New SWC )

1, Arkansas
  2, Kansas
  3, New Mexico 
  4, Oklahoma
  5, Oklahoma state
  6, TCU
  7, Texas
  8, Texas A&M
  9, Texas Tech

Not so fun fact. Arkansas would be the 3rd worst team in this conference this season.

Some quality schools to start with, but I still think we take the schools that want out of their conferences of which there would be several.

Also several private meetings on how to get the numbers down to 12 to 16, this conference would flourish within 2 to 3 years, stick it to Nick and Texas, it's not losing to BAMA on the field that's bad it's losing to The Tide in all things Birmingham from Officiating to losing disputes in the replay booth, I think several SEC schools are ready to go!, what say you?
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

leroyhawg

Quote from: hoss cartrack on October 15, 2017, 11:55:15 pm
MY POINT EXACTLY!!!!!

folks wanting to leave because they never get to hold the trophy and it isn't fair.    WAAAAAAAAAAA

thank you for your post.  i am tired of the whining.
by BAMAs crap I mean exactly like Texas crap, if it takes some whining to get this crap going,  call me Leroywhiner!, my balls are in my wife's purse anyway,

Either you're not married or you are the Alpha male, or you were born with jelly beans for nuts.

Navin Johnson

leroyhawg

Quote from: HatfieldHog on October 16, 2017, 06:13:24 am
A few years ago, I was listening to talk radio in Western Arkansas and they did an extensive interview of Frank Broyles.  He rehearsed the entire situation and history of why he led us into the SEC and the process it took to get us here.  It was a bold move at the time and was at the cutting edge of the future of College Athletics. 

Like it or not, Broyles took us "light years" ahead of where we'd be had we stayed in the "Longhorn Conf."  All this talk of going back to the Big 12 is nonsense from any level you want to examine it from.

See ya
Kind of like going back to live with mom for a couple years, I'd rather do that than to listen Saban bitch out reporters because he's God

Navin Johnson

leroyhawg

Quote from: jvanhorn on October 15, 2017, 11:42:07 pm

lol, we are an all exclusive, what do you bring to the table, may be a salary cap for coaches, it's our chance to build our 2nd favorite beer drinking sport, GOLF!

Navin Johnson

leroyhawg

Quote from: jvanhorn on October 15, 2017, 11:44:41 pm
Not that it would matter. Texas would run everything anyway.
Javanhorn the skies the limit, we can pull this crap off, lots of Fans and Schools feel this way, College BB has been ruined by one and done, The house that Nolan built is like an empty hay barn!

Jeff long can suck it

Navin Johnson

leroyhawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 16, 2017, 06:44:56 am
And other schools still in it would sell their soul to the devil to get out if they had another P5 conference to go to.
why does it have to be big 12, let's call it Americans who love real football not Robots like Nick Satan

Navin Johnson

leroyhawg

Quote from: rlamb on October 16, 2017, 02:51:10 am
I seems like there was a similar poll on here some years ago and it was much more
lopsided on the side of staying in the SEC!  I really think a couple more years of getting
our heads caved in by the mini-NFL SEC, the vote will be higher to move to the Big 12.

I've heard the money when all is said and done is not much different between the 2
conferences. Blank Bama and Satan too.
Way to go Bro, good attitude

Navin Johnson

leroyhawg

Quote from: HatfieldHog on October 16, 2017, 06:13:24 am

See ya
JFB LINED HIS POCKETS

Navin Johnson

leroyhawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 16, 2017, 06:44:56 am
why does it have to be big 12

Navin Johnson

leroyhawg

Pretty damn close, after auburn if Austin plays, it will switch

Navin Johnson

KennyForAD

Bizarre.  Listen, when we left the SWC, average attendance in the SWC was probably around thirty five thousand, while it was about seventy thousand in the SEC.  Our facilities were awful, but in the SWC, were third only to Texas and TAMU, and we would never have upgraded had we not moved.  There was no reason to upgrade.  When we moved to the SEC, our facilities were the very worst in the conference.  As part of the deal we were required to upgrade, and due to our limitless resources, we soon had the no. 1 facilities in the nation. 

What you NITWITS don't understand is that our deep pockets would NEVER have spent the money on facilities without the move to the SEC.  Even when the Big12 formed, the average attendance at football games in the Big12 was forty thousand.   Were we still in the SWC today, or in the Big12, we would still be playing our big games in our COOL stadium, War Memorial, and no one would even remember that there was ever a time when Arkansas had a major football program.  PLEASE stop this nonsense.  It is so stupid that there isn't even a word for it. 

HAD WE NOT MOVED TO THE SEC, WE WOULD BE KANSAS.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 17, 2017, 03:18:38 am
Bizarre.  Listen, when we left the SWC, average attendance in the SWC was probably around thirty five thousand, while it was about seventy thousand in the SEC.  Our facilities were awful, but in the SWC, were third only to Texas and TAMU, and we would never have upgraded had we not moved.  There was no reason to upgrade.  When we moved to the SEC, our facilities were the very worst in the conference.  As part of the deal we were required to upgrade, and due to our limitless resources, we soon had the no. 1 facilities in the nation. 

What you NITWITS don't understand is that our deep pockets would NEVER have spent the money on facilities without the move to the SEC.  Even when the Big12 formed, the average attendance at football games in the Big12 was forty thousand.   Were we still in the SWC today, or in the Big12, we would still be playing our big games in our COOL stadium, War Memorial, and no one would even remember that there was ever a time when Arkansas had a major football program.  PLEASE stop this nonsense.  It is so stupid that there isn't even a word for it. 

Come on. To say that we would have never upgraded out stadium in the last 25 years is false.

hogcard1964

We're in the SEC and not going anywhere.  Just get used to being in the bottom 3rd of the conference.

Cinco de Hogo

Yes it's just talk and we know we're not going anywhere because the "money is God" fans and the admin at the U of A are completely happy being a rent-a-win team for the upper half of the SEC.  They have proven time and again that they will destroy any attempt by fans and even coaches to be a threat to the upper crust of the SEC.  These things don't happen by accident it in keeping with the agreements made on the greens of Augusta when Broyles moved us to the SEC.  we CAN'T rise above or station in life.

Danny J

Quote from: Kevin on October 16, 2017, 06:45:46 am
anyone who votes for the big 12 does so cause they think we would win more.
It's possible we would have played LSU in the title game in 2011. However maybe we would have lost to someone in the big 12...who knows. We definitely would have won more games overall.

Wild Bill Hog

I don't think the Big 12 existed at the time we went to the SEC.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Seebs on October 15, 2017, 07:09:36 pm
Shaddup about the Big 12. Put your big boy pants on and improve to your rivals' level.

Quitter

Amen

Locutus_of_Boar

The glory days of the 1960's were a series of two game seasons:  Texas and whoever Arkansas played in a bowl which was quire often an SEC team.  The rest of the season was nothing but glorified scrimmages in the nice uniforms.

The Big XII would be Texas, OU, and who cares.  That boredom isn't worth another W or two each year.

The challenge is to be competitive in the SEC.  That's worth plowing through another quarter century, a half dozen coaches and maybe a few ADs as is necessary.

riccoar

Can we drop the Ban Hammer on folks who start more than one of the following threads, more than once in a 365 day cycle?

1.  SEC or Big 12
2.  Arkansas should play Arkansas State
3.  DWRRS vs. WMS

Sweet Feet

This simplifies what's been wrong with Arkansas football for the past 25 years. Most worried about money and facilities than actual on the field success as a P5 school. It makes perfect sense.

BrownCounty

Okay Hogs, Texas graduate here.

I could name at least 12 good reasons why Arkansas should join the Big 12.  However, I could name one reason why they shouldn't - and that reason trumps everything.

The Longhorn Network.

It's just not right that one school in a conference should have it's own network while the others don't.  I'm surprised Oklahoma has stuck around, but I know that OU strongly values its relationship with Texas and the resulting exposure (recruiting) in the state.

Outside of the Longhorn Network, the problem with Texas was a gentleman named DeLoss Dodds.  He was the AD at Texas for decades.  He completely ignored the concept and purpose of "conference" in order to further the selfish good of Texas.  In recent years, all of this has backfired - and he is long gone from Texas these days.  But now time is required for everybody to let by-gones be by-gones.

Back to the LHN.  I really wish ESPN would just pay off Texas and shut the dang thing down.  In a few years, schools are going to start talking realignment and possibly new conference relationships in the future, and having that network is going to hurt Texas' ability to partner with others.  Only the PAC-12 would overlook the LHN, but that's because they're getting desperate out there, and the Longhorn brand would be nice add to that conference.

But that's not what Texas wants.  Although Texas and Oklahoma have big chairs at the table, I've always thought a 3rd big chair should belong to Arkansas.  The Longhorns, Sooners, and Razorbacks are the BIG helmet brands of our central southern geography down here.  I also know that the Big 12 would bend over backwards to make it financially rewarding for Arkansas.

But ask yourself how did TCU become a powerhouse?  Given that kind of exposure in Texas, do you not think Arkansas could do the same?  Well, hell yes.

Lining up against LSU and Bama is more for their benefit than for Arkansas' benefit.  The scales are tipped in favor of the deep South schools.  The Hogs need to be lining up against the Sooners and Longhorns.  But for that to come there are still a few obstacles.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Torqued pork on October 15, 2017, 07:30:33 pm
When did Nebraska rejoin the Big XII?

Quote from: tusked on October 15, 2017, 09:43:49 pm
Only if MO, NE, A/M & CO go with us.  No LHN.

And NO tejas along with that network.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: leroyhawg on October 15, 2017, 09:57:13 pm
I think we should take the teams from the SEC that are sick of Bamas crap, and teams from big 12 that want to leave, and somehow come up with a workable # East West, North ,South and build from scratch a new Conference for some damn good schools

The only crap Bama causes comes out of the rears of the buttocks they beat........................

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BrownCounty on October 24, 2017, 03:51:04 pm
Okay Hogs, Texas graduate here.

I could name at least 12 good reasons why Arkansas should join the Big 12.  However, I could name one reason why they shouldn't - and that reason trumps everything.

The Longhorn Network.

It's just not right that one school in a conference should have it's own network while the others don't.  I'm surprised Oklahoma has stuck around, but I know that OU strongly values its relationship with Texas and the resulting exposure (recruiting) in the state.

Outside of the Longhorn Network, the problem with Texas was a gentleman named DeLoss Dodds.  He was the AD at Texas for decades.  He completely ignored the concept and purpose of "conference" in order to further the selfish good of Texas.  In recent years, all of this has backfired - and he is long gone from Texas these days.  But now time is required for everybody to let by-gones be by-gones.

Back to the LHN.  I really wish ESPN would just pay off Texas and shut the dang thing down.  In a few years, schools are going to start talking realignment and possibly new conference relationships in the future, and having that network is going to hurt Texas' ability to partner with others.  Only the PAC-12 would overlook the LHN, but that's because they're getting desperate out there, and the Longhorn brand would be nice add to that conference.

But that's not what Texas wants.  Although Texas and Oklahoma have big chairs at the table, I've always thought a 3rd big chair should belong to Arkansas.  The Longhorns, Sooners, and Razorbacks are the BIG helmet brands of our central southern geography down here.  I also know that the Big 12 would bend over backwards to make it financially rewarding for Arkansas.

But ask yourself how did TCU become a powerhouse?  Given that kind of exposure in Texas, do you not think Arkansas could do the same?  Well, hell yes.

Lining up against LSU and Bama is more for their benefit than for Arkansas' benefit.  The scales are tipped in favor of the deep South schools.  The Hogs need to be lining up against the Sooners and Longhorns.  But for that to come there are still a few obstacles.

Dude there was Tejas arrogance, ego and problems with them a LONG time before Dodds got there. That obstacle you mention in your last sentence is.....................Tejas.