Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sunday (10/8/17) updates: With Phillips on board, all eyes now on Reggie Chaney

Started by Kevin McPherson, October 08, 2017, 10:42:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

Sunday (10/8/17) updates ... 9:44 p.m. EDIT ...

Now that Jordan Phillips has committed to the Hogs (bringing the commitment total to 5 for the c/o 2018), the Hogs now turn to '18 Reggie Chaney (6-8 PF, Findlay Prep by way of Frisco, TX) ... he just got back to Las Vegas from his weekend OV to Oklahoma State, and like he tells me after all his visits, he said it was "good.". He still has trips planned for Wichita (next weekend) and TCU (Oct. 20-22). As previously mentioned, Hog coaches MA, Watkins, and Thurman were out to Findlay Prep on Thursday (Hogs' 3rd trip to Vegas) to see him. I won't be surprised if he shuts it down and makes a decision this week, but I also won't be surprised if he takes one or both of his two remaining visits, because he always tells me he's taking them all.

Chaney could be the most important recruit in this class, because when you look at the projected frontline coming into 2018-19 season -- Dan Gafford, Ethan Henderson, Gabe Osabuohien, and Adrio Bailey -- there's not one guy who's geared for offense. I expect Gafford will produce (putbacks, lobs, transition, etc.), but Arkansas NEEDS a frontcourt player who can go get you buckets. Watching Chaney, at least on tape, he reminds me somewhat of a throwback Dallas-area baller, Larry Johnson = undersized in height (my guess is Chaney's closer to 6-7 than 6-8) but muscled-up/strong, quick, bouncy, very effective off the dribble, and he goes to the rack like a bull with finsihing skill. I'm not saying he's the 2nd-coming of Grand Mama, what I am saying is he has some similarities in size and game that fit what Arkansas does. If his mid-range shot is rounding out like I've heard it is, combined with those other gifts, he'd be a great complement to Gafford (or Henderson, who was a great complement to the offensive-geared Reggie Perry on the Arkansas Hawks).

Love this Rivals video from the summer ...

* '19 G Jahmius Ramsey (6-5 G, IMG Academy by way of Arlington, TX, by way of Helena, AR) updated me today to say that Arkansas stays in constant contact with him. Melvin Watkins is his lead recruiter, and Jahmius told me they communicate every day. Arkansas is still making plans to get down to IMG Academy to watch '18 Hog commit Keyshawn Embery practice (this coming week, or maybe the following week), which will also give them a chance to see Ramsey (he's a Nat'l Top 75 / 4* baller in the c/o '19 with offers from TA&M, Kansas State, UNLV, and Tulane).

* SW Christian Academy went 3-1 over the weekend playing exhibition/jamboree-style games against 2 jucos and 2 prep schools at the LoneStar Juco/Prep Showcase in Duncanville, TX. Arkansas associate HC Melvin Watkins was there on Saturday, as were coaches from Virginia Tech, Georgetown, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Houston, Little Rock, and many other D1 schools.

'19 Hog recruit Tim Ceaser (6-8 PF from Marion) had a double-double in a game on Friday (14 pts, 10 rebs, 4 blks).  Texas A&M inquired about him last week, and Arkansas, Missouri, Georgia Tech, and Kansas State have all been involved. '18 Jahbril Price-Noel (6-6 / 6-7 wing from Canada) was dealing with a sprained ankle, but still managed to be productive. He's probably the most versatile player at SCA, think he's going to attract plenty of high-major attention. '18 Nikola Jerotic (6-6 wing, Serbia) was not a regular contributor last season, but he's practiced well every time I've seen him lately, and that carried over to this jamboree as he was one of the top scorers for SCA this weekend. '18 Shakur Daniel (6-5 PG from Toronto) got close to a triple-double in one game, and he's the team leader with a facilitator-first mentality. The two Serbian frontline newcomers -- 6-9 Simeon Jovic and 6-8 Ivan Hadzic -- also were effective this weekend. Jovic struggled somewhat when he first got to SCA in early August, but he's been acclimating to the athleticism, length, speed, and quickness of the bigs here and it shows. Hadzic can shoot the ball, and he's physical. Both are sure-fire mid-major prospects with the possibility of getting some high-major looks.

* I'm working on a 2017-18 Hogs preview, but will probably release it AFTER the Red-White game. Having extensively covered the Hogs and their freshmen class last year, I feel like I've gotten a decent look at what this team will be in the early going, as well as projecting ahead to what they can be once March rolls around.

gmarv

Thanks Kevin that is good stuff.I am looking forward to your preview,can,t come to soon.

FineAsSwine

Thanks for the info Kevin you've been a blessing to the recruiting forum. I really appreciate the depth and relevance of all of the recruiting updates.
Hogs up! Covid down!

The_Iceman

Kevin McPherson

More Sunday (10/8/17) updates ...

* Reggie Chaney just got back to Vegas from OKSt ... here's my tweet ...

-- '18 Hog offer @reggie_chaney (6-8 PF, Findlay Prep) said wknd visit to OKSt was "good." He's already OVed to UA, TA&M w/Wichita, TCU up next

* As he's done in previous years of the Mike Conley, Jr., All-Star game, Bill Ingram will do what it takes to get all the future Hogs together on the same team in the annual battle between the 10 best senior players from Arkansas vs. the 10 best senior players from Tennessee. Last year, the game was played in Memphis the weekend after Real Deal in the Rock, but this April it will be back in LR.

So, I'm expecting all 5 Hogs commits (and a 6th if it happens by then) to participate for Team Arkansas. In past years, Ingram got Jimmy Whitt (2015), Daryl Macon and Adrio Bailey (2016), and of course last year he had Gafford, Hall, and Gabe (Khalil Garland skipped the game to go to the Central High prom).

Knot2brite

Am I the only one that is concerned that we are getting a lot of 6'5-6'7 kids but no 6'9-6'11 kids with some lead in their pencils? We need a low post presence or three
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

The_Iceman

Quote from: Knot2brite on October 09, 2017, 09:19:39 pm
Am I the only one that is concerned that we are getting a lot of 6'5-6'7 kids but no 6'9-6'11 kids with some lead in their pencils? We need a low post presence or three

Basketball is evolving. Not too worried about it.

onebadrubi

Every basketball post I've had since last season has been about this.  We are trully creating some serious top talent depth at the 1-3 positions.  I just hope we don't get to the point of being a Moses Kingsley away from a final four team for a couple of years. 

I'm saying this but to not belittle MA and staff, they are truly busting their asses off on the recruiting trail for the near future and the now!

forrest city joe

Gafford is 6-11.and he's just a freshmen.put some 6-7 and 6-8,talented players around him,and the sky is the limit. o love what Mike and his staff are doing.

batmanfan

Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

onebadrubi

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 10, 2017, 11:14:14 am
I guess we will never get it!  The game of basketball is going through a transition where traditional centers are becoming a dying breed.  The term you hear on a nightly basis concerning "small ball" is a perfect indicator.  We almost took out the eventual NC playing just that, small ball.  The game is faster and the players are more athletic thus small ball!  I think people here are placing waaaaay too much emphasis on attempting to lump players into traditional 1-5 roles.

Do you realize your example to disprove my point, did exactly the opposite?  You bring up our almost win against UNC as reason why we do need a moses type player, which is EXACTLY what I just said?

Small ball is a term used because of the Warriors.  You can call it small ball all you want, but besides curry, their entire roster is over 6'6" and they are doing it with a player at the 4 position that is a hall of fame type player in Draymond Green.  Give mike a Green and he competes for a national title for as many years as we have a green.  So thank you for proving my point. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: forrest city joe on October 10, 2017, 11:17:43 am
Gafford is 6-11.and he's just a freshmen.put some 6-7 and 6-8,talented players around him,and the sky is the limit. o love what Mike and his staff are doing.

Bingo!!!!  I am going to agree completely Joe.  I just want to see someone behind Gafford ready to fill in just in case Gafford is a 2 year player.  I think we have to start anticipating 2 year players as we get better as a team.

HoopS

Henderson is one. Height anyway. Tall athlete. Chaney may be another.