Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The New AD is a done deal

Started by Porked Tongue, November 16, 2017, 05:21:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

tusksincolorado

We are going to hire a new "yes man" or "yes woman" AD, or go the "Vandy" way....and NO HC to replace CBB!

Its the "Year of the Trump" decisions...
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Pork Ranger

Quote from: wlbrown9 on November 16, 2017, 07:45:48 pm
My nephew took a picture of Tommy T in Memphis airport today. Not sure what he is doing here.

I read a 2016 post saying Sexton was also his agent. So, maybe they were in negotiations??

LZH

Quote from: ImYourHoggleberry on November 17, 2017, 08:39:56 am
I wonder what the possibility is that Julie gets the job of firing Bert on Sunday so a new AD can come in on Monday with a clean slate.

This is the best scenario. Bret can make a speech Tuesday about how he's done his best but it's time for a new coach to take over. "I didn't win as many games as I wanted to, so since I love this program so much it's time to make a change and bring in some new blood...coach Malzahn will do a great job here. I'm gonna take some time off to spend with my family and will always root for the Hogs. I thank you for your support and wish all of you well and much success. Woo Pig."

Coach the Mizzou game as a goodbye and then go get himself healthy. Our new coach will already be out recruiting and everyone will settle down.

Best scenario by far....for both parties.

Lard

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on November 18, 2017, 08:48:02 am

I read a 2016 post saying Sexton was also his agent. So, maybe they were in negotiations??
TT was reporting live from Oxford this morning...so he probably flew into Memphis and drove to Oxford.
"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

moses_007

rhames

Why push the interim out there to do a press conference if 3 days later you're going to name the AD?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Polecat

Quote from: ur on November 17, 2017, 04:36:55 pm
Please baby Jesus make it Kevin Scanlon. Keep Varady as Pres of RF. Killer combo

Agreed
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Hogs-n-Roses

How many on here saw the Long firing coming? Heck most were claiming just a few weeks ago we'd still get to 7-8 wins! The powers that BE had a well designed plan and are going according to that plan to the T. An AD has been ready for some time. Coach is somewhat trickier(is that even a word) anyways stay focused dangit. Coach could still be involved in a situation where it wouldn't be appropriate to make statements. Plus the fact that those situations can change in a heartbeat.

B-Ross2417

So we are putting together a search committee for our new AD(fact), yet we already have a candidate that's going to be announced by Monday?  I must be missing something...

Rooster Hogburn

An executive from petit jean meats
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

arcowboy

I don't know how long, but by law it has to be advertised as an opening before someone can be hired . It used to be anyway.  Times change, but the short list is there before the firing.

Pancetta

If Gus is our target then I think we don't have an AD this week. I think we see how Iron Bowl goes and if he wins, we stall some more. Then if he wins SEC CG we hire an AD and move to #2 option.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

code red

Quote from: HogPitBBQ on November 16, 2017, 05:35:20 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if Houston Nutt was not getting a strong look.
Um No.  Hell No.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

tusksincolorado

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 17, 2017, 08:53:25 am
What are you so worried about?  That the football program will fail?  Have you looked around lately?  We're already there.  We ARE the dumpster fire that so many on this board like to talk about other programs being.

Your guys had their chance and failed...miserably.  Excuse the rest of us if we're not nearly as forlorn as you are to see them go.

We are 20+ million short from 5 years ago....

tusksincolorado

Quote from: code red on November 19, 2017, 06:42:02 am
Um No.  Hell No.

Oh heck why not....couldn't really get much worse!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: LZH on November 18, 2017, 09:16:13 am
This is the best scenario. Bret can make a speech Tuesday about how he's done his best but it's time for a new coach to take over. "I didn't win as many games as I wanted to, so since I love this program so much it's time to make a change and bring in some new blood...coach Malzahn will do a great job here. I'm gonna take some time off to spend with my family and will always root for the Hogs. I thank you for your support and wish all of you well and much success. Woo Pig."

Coach the Mizzou game as a goodbye and then go get himself healthy. Our new coach will already be out recruiting and everyone will settle down.

Best scenario by far....for both parties.

Your are on crack...

go hogues

Quote from: tusksincolorado on November 19, 2017, 10:41:11 am
For starters, he has no experience running an athletic department. Secondly, that would is still too fresh. It's only been 10 years since he departed under pretty intense scrutiny.

He and his family are happy living in Texas and we are happy he's gone. Let's keep it that way.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

tusksincolorado

Quote from: go hogues on November 19, 2017, 10:45:22 am
For starters, he has no experience running an athletic department. Secondly, that would is still too fresh. It's only been 10 years since he departed under pretty intense scrutiny.

He and his family are happy living in Texas and we are happy he's gone. Let's keep it that way.

It think if we are going to have the grandest of clusterf**k* we need to have the greatest ingredients involved.

jgphillips3

Quote from: ur on November 17, 2017, 04:36:55 pm
Please baby Jesus make it Kevin Scanlon. Keep Varady as Pres of RF. Killer combo

Perfect combo.  Two great guys that care a lot about not just our sports program but the entire State in general.  Also, two very sharp guys. 

tusksincolorado

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 19, 2017, 11:21:56 am
Perfect combo.  Two great guys that care a lot about not just our sports program but the entire State in general.  Also, two very sharp guys. 

Not happening...

SooieGeneris

You have a very short memory..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

tusksincolorado

Quote from: SooieGeneris on November 19, 2017, 01:51:29 pm
You have a very short memory..

That's the good thing about dementia...I remember Dickie, Danny, Dennis, and Houston from way back when.

Wish I could forget them...

livevanguy

Quote from: TebowHater on November 16, 2017, 07:42:10 pm
It's not him but that was completely untrue. Varady is 1000x more ethical than Diamond.
I can personally testify to the lack of ethical behaviors of Diamond. He got everything he deserved.
Call'n the hogs from the Pacific Northwest

colbs

You can always figure out who actually does have legit sources and who doesn't during a coaching/AD change. 

lumphog

tusksincolorado

Quote from: lumphog on November 19, 2017, 02:19:06 pm
Don't tell them where you got it    :-\

Well LZH obviously has some good STUFF

Porked Tongue

It seems that we're at least seeing a smokescreen to pacify the PC crowd.  Some don't want it to appear that there is a GOBN that can still influence things.

There is and they do.

I'll stick to the identify of the next AD was already planned before Long got the ax.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Porked Tongue on November 19, 2017, 03:26:49 pm
It seems that we're at least seeing a smokescreen to pacify the PC crowd.  Some don't want it to appear that there is a GOBN that can still influence things.

There is and they do.

I'll stick to the identify of the next AD was already planned before Long got the ax.

And hope like all get out that the candidate doesn't get cold feet waiting around.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HogMantheIntruder

Oh it could, my friend, and Nutt would quickly show you by how much. I'd love to have someone with his passion for Arkansas football, but he/she also needs an IQ above 60, some measure of eloquence, and an acceptance of the forward pass as more than just a fad.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

LZH

Quote from: tusksincolorado on November 19, 2017, 03:26:31 pm

By God if you blow my cover we'll have to 'rock-paper-scissors' until I get some satisfaction!  >:(

CDBHawg

There is and they do.

Still gonna happen tomorrow?

B-Ross2417

Dark Helmet Hog

AlmaHog2011

There is and they do.

They should have a good idea who the next AD is if not they shouldn't have fired Long. I would think the next AD is already known and hired. I sure hope so!

StanHog

Quote from: hog of steele on November 16, 2017, 05:35:17 pm
I would say you are flipped on this. We don't know the AD because most are ok but not great. Just a few really good ADs. They just don't effect the programs as much as coaches. I am afraid we ran a good one and will likely replace him with a mediocre one.
We ran a fraudulent scumbag.

jgphillips3

Quote from: tusksincolorado on November 19, 2017, 03:26:31 pm

And it probably came from Colorado...😉

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on November 19, 2017, 04:56:18 pm
They should have a good idea who the next AD is if not they shouldn't have fired Long. I would think the next AD is already known and hired. I sure hope so!
I felt this way at first, but I've changed my mind on it. We need an AD before we can hire the right coach (unless it's Malzahn apparently), so whether or not they have someone picked out, I think it was a good idea to go ahead and cut ties so that we could at least get a jump on that piece of the puzzle.

Personally, I believe they already know who their guy/girl is, but I'm also fairly certain that they have to leave the job open for a certain period of time before making a hire. I know it's that way with every other state job, or at least the one's I'm familiar with. Admittedly, I have never accepted, or even seriously entertained any offers from the U of A to be the Athletic Director, so I'm not totally familiar with every detail of that particular position.
   -Harry Solomon

moses_007

It won't be Houston Nutt as AD since Malzahn wouldn't work with him again.  Malzahn wasn't too happy with Nutt calling the plays in 2006 when he was offensive coordinator.  He also wasn't happy that Nutt allowed other assistants to call him "high school....."

jabohog

Quote from: factchecker on November 16, 2017, 06:26:41 pm
You are correct.

I like Scanlon.  I'd like to hear some people argue against him just so I can get somebody else's opinion.
Well he's from Beaver Falls, PA. If we don't want Yankees, just saying. I wouldn't mind having him. He was a great QB. Maybe they'll hire Pat Fitzgerald from NW for coach.

B-Ross2417

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on November 19, 2017, 04:54:29 pm
You sure?

Well, no!  Can anything written on this site be taken as a sure thing?!  We all have "sources."  I guess I just trust mine more, as in he/she has never been wrong in regards to the Hogs.  There is a first time for everything though...

Even if I hadn't spoken to this person yesterday, common sense tells me that tomorrow is WAY too soon in the process to name a new AD.  We shall see!  That's the fun thing about message boards during these searches.  Go Hogs!

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: moses_007 on November 19, 2017, 05:20:52 pm
It won't be Houston Nutt as AD since Malzahn wouldn't work with him again.  Malzahn wasn't too happy with Nutt calling the plays in 2006 when he was offensive coordinator.  He also wasn't happy that Nutt allowed other assistants to call him "high school....."
Do you honestly think Nutt would be considered regardless? I wouldn't want him running my piddly little online resale business, much less one of the nation's most valuable collegiate athletics programs.
   -Harry Solomon

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on November 19, 2017, 04:56:18 pm

I wonder what out contingency plan is? If the GOBN don't get their guy, things could turn interesting.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: CDBHawg on November 19, 2017, 04:39:36 pm
Still gonna happen tomorrow?
I refer you to the opening post.  But for sure a bit of optimism there as a few brakes have been applied.

Don't know why though as they know.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Porked Tongue on November 19, 2017, 07:29:21 pm
I refer you to the opening post.  But for sure a bit of optimism there as a few brakes have been applied.

Don't know why though as they know.
Because we're either waiting on the #1 choice's season to play out or we're being played by them. In the beginning, I started a topic called Rumors and more rumors. I was certain it was 1 way and a done deal. Now folks are leary that we could be being played.

mj4president

"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

Arazorbackguy1

We are definitely being played by Gus.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Porked Tongue

From an AD perspective, we are not getting "played".

Coach is another matter.