Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

On to the next one: Wisconsin

Started by dsims2k3, November 24, 2012, 12:01:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dsims2k3

Tomorrow its Wisconsin. Any thoughts?
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Dogtown Donkey

Would be shocked if we beat them.

They'll be too physical for us. Horrible match-up for the Hogs.

dsims2k3

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 24, 2012, 12:03:36 am
Would be shocked if we beat them.

They'll be too physical for us. Horrible match-up for the Hogs.
Yea they were physical against the Jays earlier tonight. It is a concern.

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Wild Bill Hog

I'm not looking forward to the game in the least.

Hoggy1

With the refs blowing whistles like tonight we won't have to worry about anyone being physical
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

Iwastherein1969

we lose by 20 + against Wisky.....they are so well coached and they will pound the ball down low and either score or shoot free-throws all night.....it will get ugly...Wisky is as BAD a matchup for us as any team in the country
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

JonClaudeVanHam

Depends if we get the Creighton - Wisconsin Refs or ours from last night.
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently." - Nietzsche

jry04

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on November 24, 2012, 07:10:40 am
we lose by 20 + against Wisky.....they are so well coached and they will pound the ball down low and either score or shoot free-throws all night.....it will get ugly...Wisky is as BAD a matchup for us as any team in the country
I would be shocked if we lose by 20+. We had a terrible night. Not likely to happen again. If we can control the pace and don't have the refs blowing their whistles every second, then we will be a bad matchup for them. They don't want to run the court with us.

Our players just need to realize that we don't necessarily have to get steals and reach in to cause havoc in the press. Just pressing them for 40 minutes is enough to make them turn it over on their own.

CalHog

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 24, 2012, 07:43:08 am
I would be shocked if we lose by 20+. We had a terrible night. Not likely to happen again. If we can control the pace and don't have the refs blowing their whistles every second, then we will be a bad matchup for them. They don't want to run the court with us.

Our players just need to realize that we don't necessarily have to get steals and reach in to cause havoc in the press. Just pressing them for 40 minutes is enough to make them turn it over on their own.

You all need to quit whining about the officials.  We played absolutely no defense.  They had open shots all night and we were out of position allowing the to score at will.  Then when we got down we started jacking 3's and not even coming close on them. which is a reflection on coaching.

jry04

Quote from: CalHog on November 24, 2012, 09:16:15 am
You all need to quit whining about the officials.  We played absolutely no defense.  They had open shots all night and we were out of position allowing the to score at will.  Then when we got down we started jacking 3's and not even coming close on them. which is a reflection on coaching.
I had 1 comment about the officials in that post. The rest was about the team. I never blamed our loss on the officials. They were terrible both ways, but it played into the favor of ASU. It is somewhat difficult to push the tempo and wear out the other team when they are getting to catch their breath every minute due to a touch foul at half court that didn't even cause a change of possession. That doesn't change the fact that we shot 39%, they couldn't miss, and we couldn't rebound. My post you quoted wasn't whining, but any person with basketball intelligence understands that each officiating crew has a certain way they calls games, and they don't always play in the favor of some teams.

Chollo

I think we win 80 - 73. Is the game on TV?

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Chollo on November 24, 2012, 10:01:20 am
I think we win 80 - 73. Is the game on TV?

No. Back on ESPN3 since we lost.

Dogtown Donkey

I don't think anyone is blaming the loss on the officials, but you have to admit that they were quite whistle-happy last night and that tends to hurt a team like Arkansas because it kills the pace of the game for us.

It is what it is. It's one of the draw backs of our style. Sometimes we pick up a bunch of fouls.

RockChalkJayhawk

I tend to agree with that assessment, but it's too early to start pointing fingers at the coaching.  Granted, as a basketball coach myself, I tend to defend coaches, so I more than likely bring bias to my viewpoint.

Especially early in the season, especially given the dynamics of this roster, these kids are not going to play per instruction at all times.  Last night was hopefully the perfect learning experience in terms of "if you play like this, this is what will happen".  Arkansas plays a lot of kids, too many really.  But it's early and the coaches are trying to get a handle on effective combinations and work around foul-trouble, poor decision-making, and lack of execution.

We saw this last year, the Hogs are great front-runners, but struggle to catch up when headed, particularly on the road. The offense become individualized, and the defense and rebounding also suffered.  Playing solo out of panic does not a victory make.

I am anxious to see tonight's game to see if these kids will realize they need to play together, rather than go one-on-the-world making superhero plays.

rude1

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 24, 2012, 10:05:05 am
I don't think anyone is blaming the loss on the officials, but you have to admit that they were quite whistle-happy last night and that tends to hurt a team like Arkansas because it kills the pace of the game for us.

It is what it is. It's one of the draw backs of our style. Sometimes we pick up a bunch of fouls.
They were whistle happy because our team was foul happy. Those two things go hand in hand. When the extent of your defense is to slap and body check, be prepared to hear the whistle a lot.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: rude1 on November 24, 2012, 10:08:57 am
They were whistle happy because our team was foul happy. Those two things go hand in hand. When the extent of your defense is to slap and body check, be prepared to hear the whistle a lot.

I'm not saying we didn't commit fouls but there were some whistles, on both ends, that I just didn't see. And the whistles were inconsistent. Their PG was called for an offensive foul going to the hoop and then Wade was called for a foul guarding him coming up the court and the PG did the same move that got him an offensive foul. Those refs were just plain whistle-happy. We lost because we completely fell apart in the 2nd half, but that doesn't change the fact that A LOT of fouls were called.

rude1

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 24, 2012, 10:12:38 am
I'm not saying we didn't commit fouls but there were some whistles, on both ends, that I just didn't see. And the whistles were inconsistent. Their PG was called for an offensive foul going to the hoop and then Wade was called for a foul guarding him coming up the court and the PG did the same move that got him an offensive foul. Those refs were just plain whistle-happy. We lost because we completely fell apart in the 2nd half, but that doesn't change the fact that A LOT of fouls were called.
So should the Refs just ignore fouls so as to not interrupt the flow of play? Sure there were some bad calls, but that's going to happen in every game. But about all  of those fouls called against the Hogs were warranted.  This game was a clinic by the Hogs on how to NOT play defense. Reaching, bodying ball handlers 90' away from the basket, slapping, not moving feet, slow to no defensive rotation off dribble drive penetration. IMO officiating last night was the least of this teams problems.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: rude1 on November 24, 2012, 10:52:11 am
So should the Refs just ignore fouls so as to not interrupt the flow of play? Sure there were some bad calls, but that's going to happen in every game. But about all  of those fouls called against the Hogs were warranted.  This game was a clinic by the Hogs on how to NOT play defense. Reaching, bodying ball handlers 90' away from the basket, slapping, not moving feet, slow to no defensive rotation off dribble drive penetration. IMO officiating last night was the least of this teams problems.

There's no need to be belligerent about it.

I've clearly state that loss was not because of officiating, but I do think it slowed us down in the 1st half (when we were actually in the game). And, yes, I do think the refs could ignore some "fouls". Let the kids play. There are some fouls that have no impact on anything that really don't need to be called.

You could call a foul on every play if you really wanted to be and be right to do it. But they don't do that. So why call little stuff if it doesn't impact anything? Seemed like there was a whistle almost every possession in the 1st half.

rude1

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 24, 2012, 10:59:32 am
There's no need to be belligerent about it.

I've clearly state that loss was not because of officiating, but I do think it slowed us down in the 1st half (when we were actually in the game). And, yes, I do think the refs could ignore some "fouls". Let the kids play. There are some fouls that have no impact on anything that really don't need to be called.

You could call a foul on every play if you really wanted to be and be right to do it. But they don't do that. So why call little stuff if it doesn't impact anything? Seemed like there was a whistle almost every possession in the 1st half.
My contention is that the fouls called on us weren't of the "play on" variety in most cases. The fouls we were getting hit with you are going to get called for by about any officiating crew in the country.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: rude1 on November 24, 2012, 11:03:14 am
My contention is that the fouls called on us weren't of the "play on" variety in most cases. The fouls we were getting hit with you are going to get called for by about any officiating crew in the country.

I disagree. At least in the 1st half. Not going to lie, I tuned much of the half out.

SWD26

I think we have a good shot at beating them if we are shooting the ball better. Just like Coach Anderson said, when the shots aren't falling nothing works right, even the defense falls off. I do think we need to put more emphasis on rebounding and defending the three-ball though. Nevertheless, put the ball in the hole and we can win!

Here is the boxscore from the ASU game: ( Kikko plays one minute and scores more than Powell. Just one of those nights.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=323280009

Smithian

Why aren't the Hogs a bad matchup for Wisconsin?

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Smithian on November 24, 2012, 12:15:12 pm

Hey, let's hope we are, but big, physical teams (which Wisconsin almost always is) are usually our kryptonite.

Powell should have an easier time scoring tonight as well. That's a huge plus, so I guess there's that and the assumption that, surely, we can't play worse than we did in the 2nd half last night.

Danny J

I agree. The whistles blew a lot because we were confused all night on D. Just mass confusion and no communication. We would be better off not trapping teams with good guards until we get it figured out. We allowed the ASU guards to beat us off the dribble and down the court all night. On offense we also struggle against a zone. Need to learn to play within the offense and not so much one on one.

b_stackhouse

I was born in Wisconsin and still keep up with their athletic programs. I have watched more Wisconsin basketball over the past several years than any other team (other than Ark). They are a terrible matchup for the Hogs.

First off, they dictate the tempo of the game. In years past, they have been impossible to speed up. They are very patient on offense (they run swing). They invert their guards and post men all the time. Their guards will post up opposing teams' guards and their big men can shoot from the outside. Arkansas will have to play hard nose defense deep into the shot clock on several occasions.

On defense, they play nothing but man to man defense. They NEVER play zone. This could be a good thing for Ark because one thing they could do last night was take their man off the dribble. However, Wisconsin is extremely good at rotating over to help. They are also, on an extremely consistent basis, one of the best teams in the country at not committing fouls.

I haven't watched them play much this year, but the things listed above are staples of a Bo Ryan coached team. We catch a break with Gasser out with a torn ACL. They are starting a freshmen at point guard. Evans is very solid at posting up his defender and he has a nice mid ranger game. Bergren is a solid big man. Bruisowitz is a solid guy who just plays hard and "muddys" up  the game. Brust is an extremely good rebounder for a guy his size, he can also hit the outside jumper but is very streaky.

Hopefully Ark can keep it close, but I don't see us pulling out a win. I look for Wisconsin to score a number in the 60's and Ark to put something up in the 50's.

I hope I am wrong.

dsims2k3

Quote from: b_stackhouse on November 24, 2012, 05:44:09 pm
I was born in Wisconsin and still keep up with their athletic programs. I have watched more Wisconsin basketball over the past several years than any other team (other than Ark). They are a terrible matchup for the Hogs.

First off, they dictate the tempo of the game. In years past, they have been impossible to speed up. They are very patient on offense (they run swing). They invert their guards and post men all the time. Their guards will post up opposing teams' guards and their big men can shoot from the outside. Arkansas will have to play hard nose defense deep into the shot clock on several occasions.

On defense, they play nothing but man to man defense. They NEVER play zone. This could be a good thing for Ark because one thing they could do last night was take their man off the dribble. However, Wisconsin is extremely good at rotating over to help. They are also, on an extremely consistent basis, one of the best teams in the country at not committing fouls.

I haven't watched them play much this year, but the things listed above are staples of a Bo Ryan coached team. We catch a break with Gasser out with a torn ACL. They are starting a freshmen at point guard. Evans is very solid at posting up his defender and he has a nice mid ranger game. Bergren is a solid big man. Bruisowitz is a solid guy who just plays hard and "muddys" up  the game. Brust is an extremely good rebounder for a guy his size, he can also hit the outside jumper but is very streaky.

Hopefully Ark can keep it close, but I don't see us pulling out a win. I look for Wisconsin to score a number in the 60's and Ark to put something up in the 50's.

I hope I am wrong.

Great analysis of Wisconsin. Hopefully this will be a competitive game.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Smithian on November 24, 2012, 12:15:12 pm
My sentiments exactly. Compared to our strong points, they're slow and play closer to the ground. They don't transition defensively as well as we do Offensively.. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

dsims2k3

Quote from: PORKULATOR on November 24, 2012, 06:28:05 pm
My sentiments exactly. Compared to our strong points, they're slow and play closer to the ground. They don't transition defensively as well as we do Offensively.. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

I really hope so.

Dogtown Donkey

Take a look at that right up by b_stackhouse. Pretty spot-on.

b_stackhouse

Here's what I would say: They do a better job of doing what they want to do than we do.

If you are a fan of MMA, I'll use this analogy. If there is a fighter who wants to keep the fight standing up, and there is a fighter who wants to take the fight to the ground, what usually happens? The fight usually goes to the ground.

In respect to basketball, it is very difficult to speed a team up that doesn't want to be sped up. It is far easier to slow a team down that doesn't want to be slowed down. That's why I feel it is Ark who doesn't match up with Wisc, rather than Wisc who doesn't match up with Ark.

Once again though, I hope I am wrong.