Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Georgia governor finally signs 'Todd Gurley Bill' into law

Started by jbcarol, May 08, 2015, 11:47:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Georgia governor Nathan Deal signed House Bill 3 -- the same number worn by Gurley for the Bulldogs, not coincidentally -- on Thursday, making the enticement of student-athletes to break NCAA rules for cash an aggravated misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in prison.

The bill was a response to Gurley's infamous 2014 suspension, in which he missed four games after a memorabilia dealer (and Florida fan) told the NCAA he had given the then-Heisman Trophy candidate some $400 for autographs on jerseys and other items.

The bill received widespread, bipartisan support in the Georgia legislature, where it passed the state House by a 145-27 vote and the state Senate 48-4. The sponsor of the bill, Rep. Barry Fleming, R-Harlem, explained its purpose:

Quote"That's what really got most peoples' dander up," said Fleming, a rabid Bulldogs fan with undergraduate and law degrees from UGA. "I was disappointed when it happened. But I understand the young man comes from a very humble background. His mother didn't have funds to properly repair the roof on the trailer she raised him in."

The law has two possible penalties, one criminal, one civil, Fleming said.

"We plugged it into a law about alumni being overzealous," he said. "Now it's a misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature. It can be up to a year in jail and a $5,000 fine.

"On the civil side, the university can sue the person who does this for any damages sustained, like losing a TV contract, not going to bowl games."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Chris Low @ClowESPN  ·  5h 5 hours ago

The "Todd Gurley" bill may be well-meaning, but college athletes who break the rules all know the consequences even if rules are obsolete.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net