Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gary Patterson

Started by Sow’sEar, October 11, 2017, 08:59:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sow’sEar

Get the checkbook out and go get Gary Patterson. 

AlmaHog2011

Not a possibility at all. He's not an option here.

BrianG

Roaringboar

Quote from: Lulu Hog on October 11, 2017, 08:59:44 pm

TCU is his home, and will be until he retires.....that school is back into the top 10 AGAIN and about to compete for another Big 12 championship......he has everything he could ever want.....
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

ThisTeetsTaken

I was calling for Gary Patterson back when Nutt was here but that ship has sailed.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Ironhawg

His name came up before Long hired Bielema.  Seems like someone said his wife is very, very happy in Fort Worth and would not consider leaving.  You know the old saying "if momma ain't happy, nobody is happy."

Sow’sEar

Patterson makes $4.75 million per year.  I just googled it.  Didn't  think he made that much.  He'd be a great coach for us but we probably couldn't afford him.

JOKERHOG

Patterson would have been great here but somehow Bielema conned JL into hiring him
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Lulu Hog on October 11, 2017, 09:09:53 pm
Patterson makes $4.75 million per year.  I just googled it.  Didn't  think he made that much.  He'd be a great coach for us but we probably couldn't afford him.

Probably didn't make that much before TCU went to the big 12.  Now he is in a P5 conference so I would not see him leaving there for anything. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

onebadrubi

Quote from: JOKERHOG on October 11, 2017, 09:10:11 pm
Patterson would have been great here but somehow Bielema conned JL into hiring him

I believe it was rumored he turned us down back then.

greenEGnHAWGS

In retrospect, its easy to say this, but at the time - CBB looked like a good hire (to most)
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Pa-Paw

Patterson's name came up on the board a few years back, but few here were enthused about hiring him. He coaches at a school that sits in one of the very best recruiting areas of the country. It seems that he is an unlikely get. That said, TCU has trouble filling their stadium, so there is always a chance.

Tick Hog

I'd love him but it's a pipe dream. He is TCU football. He's been there through 3 conference changes and he's 154 - 54.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Stop embarrassing fan base with these threads. Why not start an Urban Meyer or Dabo thread. They have as much chance of coming here as Patterson
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 11, 2017, 09:02:57 pm
TCU is his home, and will be until he retires.....that school is back into the top 10 AGAIN and about to compete for another Big 12 championship......he has everything he could ever want.....
TCU hasn't done anything since the days of Sammy Baugh. Get real. Everyone has a price, everyone.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Tejano Jawg

While we're on the subject of Patterson. I heard some things today on the radio—he is 23-2 combined, following his previous 2 losing seasons. And he won conference titles after both too. How's that for bouncing back?...their fans don't stay down for long.

He's 18-0 at home when ranked in the Top 10. That's defending the home turf.

He's 5-0 when they play during an ESPN Gameday game. (2 of those were at TCU.)

Solid.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

GoHogs1091

It has been rumored that Patterson has been promised a mineral right to a shale that is worth $20 million if he stays at TCU.

If it is true Patterson has been promised that, probably no other football program in the nation can compete with a one-time payout of $20 million.

1highhog

We can afford any coach out there, the thing is, will they want to leave where they're currently at to come here?  Whoever comes here, no matter how good a coach and recruiter they are, it's going to take some time to right this program back to where it needs to be.  That doesn't mean that another coach can't come in here and immediately next year win with what's already in place, I believe the right coach can, just not as many games as they would like.

Hog N Bama

He didn't send a love letter

Redhogs

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 11, 2017, 09:13:20 pm
I believe it was rumored he turned us down back then.
Correct. Never leaving TCU, period.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

go hogues

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 12, 2017, 04:08:46 am
It has been rumored that Patterson has been promised a mineral right to a shale that is worth $20 million if he stays at TCU.

If it is true Patterson has been promised that, probably no other football program in the nation can compete with a one-time payout of $20 million.
...unless you're carrying...A GIFT CERTIFICATE FOR UNLIMITED HUSHPUPPIES AT THE CATFISH HOLE!!!
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

DoctorSusscrofa

Our problem has always been that there aren't many Frank Broyles types around. Frank was a great coach who wanted to come here and wanted to stay.  The challenges didn't put him off and there wasn't anywhere else he wanted to be.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Vantage 8 dude

In four words: Isn't going to happen.

ipigsooie

The dead horse is begging you to quit beating him. The dude is not leaving Ft. Worth.

DeltaBoy

I been in the DFW area since my grad school days and I can say with 98.99 percent confidence he retiring at TCU!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Been10Hog

What had me believing GP was coming to Fayetteville before we hired BB was that his defensive coordinator, former Arkansas All-American Dick Bumpas, bought a lake house on Beaver Lake right at that time. He then retired there the following year.

smb

GeorgiaHOG

SemperHawg

probably going to get smoked for my opinion here but oh well...

Bielema hire has really changed my perspective on possible replacement coaches for us.  On the surface  all of the credentials were there, conference titles, Rose Bowl's ect... Now as we are finding out the hard way that a lot of what we thought was good about Bielema turned out to be more about Wisconsin. 

I think Gary Patterson is a fine coach, however, TCU has been the perfect situation over the past 5 to 8 years.  Centered right in the middle of some really fertile recruiting grounds, newly added to the Big 12.  Of the two biggest schools in the state, one of them left the Big 12 and the other is in the middle of a historic slump.

Again, I'm not saying the dude isn't a good coach, but to just assume you could throw money at this guy and have him come duplicate what he has done at TCU seems reckless.  Even in a down year the SEC west ain't the Big 12 or the Big 10.

All of this is a moot point anyway as he is not leaving.

DeltaBoy

He is not coming over here anymore than Nick Saban or Pete Carroll are.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

GLAD SOMEONE, ONCE AGAIN, BROUGHT UP COACH PATERSON'S NAME.  When we do, if we ever do, look for a new coach, what we are looking for is the qualities of coach Paterson.  this man finds a way to keep the mindset of his players in a winning mode.  They weren't very good last year.  No matter the reason, the TEAM was salvaged this year due to the mindset of said team. 

Paterson can take bad and win 5 or 6, average and win 7 to 9 and good and win 10 or 11.  It has less to do with their overall talent and far more to do with the mental attitude he emits.  I wish we had a coach like him.  Must be a hard worker in addition to understanding the mental aspects of sports.

Razor1997

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 12, 2017, 04:08:46 am

True.  That's even more than the $15.4 million we'll be giving Bert after this season.

Been10Hog

Quote from: 12247 on October 12, 2017, 09:36:55 am
GLAD SOMEONE, ONCE AGAIN, BROUGHT UP COACH PATERSON'S NAME.  When we do, if we ever do, look for a new coach, what we are looking for is the qualities of coach Paterson.  this man finds a way to keep the mindset of his players in a winning mode.  They weren't very good last year.  No matter the reason, the TEAM was salvaged this year due to the mindset of said team. 

Paterson can take bad and win 5 or 6, average and win 7 to 9 and good and win 10 or 11.  It has less to do with their overall talent and far more to do with the mental attitude he emits.  I wish we had a coach like him.  Must be a hard worker in addition to understanding the mental aspects of sports.

It sounds good to have a great coach whose mental toughness pervades the program and overcomes talent deficiencies! The great coaches according to HV like Jimmy Johnson, Nick Saban, Barry Switzer, Lou Holtz and maybe Les Miles didn't do it. Jimmy and Les didn't do so well at Okie St. with equal or inferior talent. Nick and Lou did great at Bama and ND when they could out-athlete everybody but not so much with equal or inferior talent at Mich. St., South Carolina, Minnesota and the Miami Dolphins. Barry was smart enough to stick where he had the talent advantage and never went somewhere like Arkansas where he never would have the talent advantage.

Coaches who actually consistently win with Jimmies and Joes who are smaller, slower and weaker than their opponents are hard to find! We had one in Coach Hatfield!

onebadrubi

Quote from: Razor1997 on October 12, 2017, 09:40:14 am
True.  That's even more than the $15.4 million we'll be giving Bert after this season.

I bet it's difficult going through this world not paying attention.

sickboy

Arkansas needs a recruiting ACE. We need someone like James Franklin. Who's the next James Franklin?

DeltaBoy

Dream on folks we are cursed with pain , heartache and general misery.

ipigsooie

He just signed an extension. Your dream is crushed.

HoggusMaximus

Arkansas Fan

Most of us knew he was never leaving TCU anyway.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 24, 2017, 03:35:25 pm
He just signed an extension. Your dream is crushed.

What about Petersen and Gruden???
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Hogs958

ipigsooie

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on November 24, 2017, 04:58:30 pm
Most of us knew he was never leaving TCU anyway.

Most of us realists did

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

clutch

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 11, 2017, 09:35:04 pm
Stop embarrassing fan base with these threads. Why not start an Urban Meyer or Dabo thread. They have as much chance of coming here as Patterson

Speaking of Dabo, his name was thrown around a lot before Bielema, and most here wanted nothing to do with him. Can't win the big one they said. Lots of experts around here.

I don't think he would have came anyways, but it was funny how many people thought he was a terrible coach.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: clutch on November 24, 2017, 09:39:29 pm
Speaking of Dabo, his name was thrown around a lot before Bielema, and most here wanted nothing to do with him. Can't win the big one they said. Lots of experts around here.

I don't think he would have came anyways, but it was funny how many people thought he was a terrible coach.
I don't remember much of or any Dabo talk when we hired Bielema.  You could link it though if there was actually some.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

clutch

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 24, 2017, 10:33:03 pm
I don't remember much of or any Dabo talk when we hired Bielema.  You could link it though if there was actually some.

Most of it that I remember may have been from the call in shows. I remember Matt Jones being all over Dabo, saying he'd be his first choice, and callers calling in and hammering him. That was a terrible show by the way, but I liked hearing Matt's perspective on things. I'm definitely not going back 5 years and looking through posts to link it.

1highhog

We could afford Nick Saban.  The question is why would we ever pay that much when Norvell is out there, Charlie Strong is out there, Lane Kiffin is as well.  Of those three, I hate the bastage, but Kiffin could compete in the SEC and would give Saban fits.

bentonvillehog

He was interested when we hired Beliema. There were serious talks, make no mistake about it.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Patterson not in play. He passed on the Texas job. Feelers went out and he did the matrix move. Why would he come here? He wouldn't. Same as Gundy.

Tortfeasor

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 11, 2017, 09:35:04 pm

I agree. If people are going to start a thread about coach X, then coach x needs to be a realistic option. I believe Arkansas will have a hard time this go round finding a good replacement. Some have a hard time understanding perception and reality.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Lulu Hog on October 11, 2017, 08:59:44 pm

Checkbook? What's that. And use your own............whatever it is.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi