Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HOGS MID-SEASON GRADES CURRENT POSITIONS

Started by GunnerHawg70, October 11, 2017, 03:59:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GunnerHawg70

October 11, 2017, 03:59:30 pm Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:53:41 pm by GunnerHawg70
Well with all the "Play Cole Kelley, CBB (insert insult), coaching staff (insert insults), Allen's this, Allen's that, AD needs to go, Get rid of Yanks blah blah blah, and Fire Everything in plain sight" rhetoric on HV; I figured let's discuss some football stuff and do a HONEST Mid-season grading of Razorback football...

Offensive Line (D):  This has been the contention of HV "WTH's" from the 1st game of the season.  LG / C / RG have played OK but those edges have been horrendous. AA is shell-shocked and this will be the 1st season under CBB he WILL NOT have a 1000yd rusher.

Running backs (B-): If it weren't for the fullbacks and taking in account of how bad the OL has played, they would've gotten a C+.  If it weren't for D. Williams and his downhill running, the run game would be damn near nonexistent.  Still haven't seen the bruiser Whaley was touted to be and Chase is good but young and again - OL issues.

Quarterbacks (C):  It's hard to be a QB at Arkansas right now.  AA has shown glimpses of what he can do but I really believe the kid is shell-shocked and that leads to a piss poor attitude.  He's a tough SOB but needs to be a leader and get out of his own head.  CK can be a game changer and brings a level of excitement every time he enters the game but he still lacks the experience to go 4 quarters.  No reason to have 2 shell-shocked QB's on the roster.  Ty Storey could be the difference maker but that yet remains to seen at this time.

Tight Ends (C+):  TEU is a thing of the past.  Hogs were known for a game changer at the TE position but to be fair, it seems they have hardly been written into the game plan.  Not sure if it's lack of experience or they are just not effective enough to be considered game changers (i.e. Hunter and Sprinkle me mane).

Receivers (B-):  Now they have turned it around and are now an integral part of the offense.  I was concerned (like we all were) in the beginning but they have made some serious improvement.  Losing J-Red was a huge blow but the young'uns have stepped up to the challenge.

Defensive Line (C):  Agim is a one man show.  Rushing only 3 down linemen is killing the Hogs.  They are a talented group with all the potential in the world but conservative play-calling is not doing the entire defense any favors.

Linebackers (C-):  Pretty decent group but lack the experience in the 3-4 to be effective.  Hogs need to look at old NY Giants film with LT (they ran a 3-4).  A crazy, hard hitting, mean, Tenasty (tenacious/nasty) LB that creates havoc is what is needed to be a force multiplier running a 3-4 set.  I haven't seen that yet.

Defensive backs (C+):  One of the most improved areas on the defense.  CB Curl has impressed as a true freshman and Santos is the leader of that improved backfield.  They are not perfect but you can only defend for so long if opposing team QB's has forever to throw - someone will eventually get open unfortunately.

Special Teams (D-): Man, waaaaaay too much to say about this unit.  I still believe at least 1 RB should be returning KO's.  Hogs now have a FG kicker (fingers crossed) that can be relied on for FG's. Punt coverage has been decent and KOC team allowed one big play so far this season.  Still waiting for some excitement from punt returns but opposing teams punters have been good with not outkicking their coverage which negates the return game.

Coaches (D): Conservative play-calling on both offense and defense, seemingly nonexistent 2nd half adjustments, motivating the players, etc, etc...I could go on but this will end like every other post on HV. 

In conclusion: Arkansas wasn't picked to be in any SECCG contention and really wasn't expected to be better than 6-6 IAW preseason CFB experts W-L predictions.  I do believe CBB has to really ask himself if this is what's good for him and his family going forward.  Asst. coaching changes that align with his coaching philosophy would've worked early on but now I fear it's too late for that. Finishing 6-6 and getting a bowl would be a huge WIN for the program but I don't see it happening. 

What say y'all?!?!  ???  WooPig!!! (insert Hog emoticon here)

Hog-Corleone

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on October 11, 2017, 04:12:53 pm
If this were a real report card, they wouldn't even have a qualifying GPA to play, and I think you're being generous on the receivers and coaches... That's how bad this season has been  :puke:

i agree, every grade you have given is a full letter, at the least, too high... 

We also need to attach these grades to our coaches...
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.