Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brian Wallace the new Mitch Mustain?!

Started by Boss Hog in the Arkansas, October 11, 2017, 02:18:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I've seen a few fans saying that if Brian Wallace was our best option at RT, he'd be on the field. Their reasoning is usually something along the lines of "A coach always fields the team that he feels gives him the best chance to win."

Its a compelling argument that makes sense, however there is always an exception. We had one such situation in 2006. Houston Nutt benched Mitch Mustain in favor of Casey Dick. We all know the back story so I wont get into the details, but the main point is a good player (mustain) was benched in favor of someone else (dick). What are the odds we're seeing the same thing take place right now with Brian Wallace being benched so Bielema (and/or Anderson) can slide Gibson to RT and play their new favorite player at RG, ty clary.

I also find it interesting that brian Wallace hasn't been listed on the 1st team since week one but is listed as "starter" this week. So he hasn't played all season but now they may play him against ALABAMA?! Its almost as if they want him to fail so they can slide him back on the bench. What do you guys think?
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 11, 2017, 02:18:25 pm
I've seen a few fans saying that if Brian Wallace was our best option at RT, he'd be on the field. Their reasoning is usually something along the lines of "A coach always fields the team that he feels gives him the best chance to win."

Its a compelling argument that makes sense, however there is always an exception. We had one such situation in 2006. Houston Nutt benched Mitch Mustain in favor of Casey Dick. We all know the back story so I wont get into the details, but the main point is a good player (mustain) was benched in favor of someone else (dick). What are the odds we're seeing the same thing take place right now with Brian Wallace being benched so Bielema (and/or Anderson) can slide Gibson to RT and play their new favorite player at RG, ty clary.

I also find it interesting that brian Wallace hasn't been listed on the 1st team since week one but is listed as "starter" this week. So he hasn't played all season but now they may play him against ALABAMA?! Its almost as if they want him to fail so they can slide him back on the bench. What do you guys think?
Unfortunately there are a TON of strange things going on IMO. Without knowing what's truly going on behind the scenes I'm afraid we'll continue to be left in the dark without solid reasons being offered.

Hoggish1

Why don't you take CBB, saying Wallace as starter (not "starter"), on the face of it? 

You wanted him to start, couldn't understand why he wasn't, now he's starting and you say he is the (cough, wink, spit) "starter?"

lawhawg20

Why on earth would he risk compromising his job, livelihood, record, and reputation to start a player he did not genuinely feel was the best option?  Seriously?  I'm all for conspiracy theories but this is the kind of reaching that makes Hog fans seem like lunatics to outsiders...  ::)

King Kong

It's a weird situation. Brian Wallace was better last year than what we are currently putting out there

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: lawhawg20 on October 11, 2017, 02:35:01 pm
Why on earth would he risk compromising his job, livelihood, record, and reputation to start a player he did not genuinely feel was the best option?  Seriously?  I'm all for conspiracy theories but this is the kind of reaching that makes Hog fans seem like lunatics to outsiders...  ::)
I have a feeling that you didn't read the original post in its entirety
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 11, 2017, 02:23:06 pm
Why don't you take CBB, saying Wallace as starter (not "starter"), on the face of it? 

You wanted him to start, couldn't understand why he wasn't, now he's starting and you say he is the (cough, wink, spit) "starter?"
Because he wasn't really named starter. The depth chart says Ramirez/Wallce, which is why I said "starter"

The_Iceman

forrest city joe

The worst thing that happen to Brian Wallace was when fans and some media started to question why he was not playing.and why we were seeing 66,76 and 74 on the field getting ran around and ran over.how dare anyone question the head coach and OL coach.they will show us who's Boss. meanwhile the OL is pitiful.

Razorbackers

Who is the next Vincent Asoceles, that's what I want to know.

Hoggish1

October 11, 2017, 03:07:39 pm #10 Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 09:38:29 am by Hoggish1
Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 11, 2017, 02:55:52 pm
Because he wasn't really named starter. The depth chart says Ramirez/Wallce, which is why I said "starter"

Well, I will say your rationale for a post and your explanation here is a little confusing.  You should re-read your post.

And you are bit too cryptic, don't you think?

hawgfan4life

I have and still believe that coaches play the players they believe to be their best option.  I have also seen a lot of DA coaches that can't make a sound decision about what or who is best.  I believe that is our OL coach and our HC is too blind to see that and do what is needed.  It is asinine a player can't see the field most of the season and all of a sudden is the best player when we are about to play the best team in America.  Something is wrong in all of that somewhere.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: hawgfan4life on October 11, 2017, 04:15:13 pm
I have and still believe that coaches play the players they believe to be their best option.  I have also seen a lot of DA coaches that can't make a sound decision about what or who is best.  I believe that is our OL coach and our HC is too blind to see that and do what is needed.  It is asinine a player can't see the field most of the season and all of a sudden is the best player when we are about to play the best team in America.  Something is wrong in all of that somewhere.

I have been around coaches my entire life and I have several coaches in my family.  My experience has been that they generally think they are playing the best player, but there can be things that cloud their judgement. The best example I can tell you is a High School coach who won a state championship had a great tight end on his team that could catch pretty much any thing that got close.  He told me the biggest regret he had about that state championship season was that he hadn't targeted that tight end more.  He said he spent a lot of time thinking about why after that season was over.  In the end he had to admit he didn't know what he was thinking.  He said he had gone back and watched film of that season over and over and the kid was fantastic when he was targeted, big and athletic, liked contact and never fumbled the ball.  He even said he and the assistant coaches had discussed it and  meant to get the kid more involved, but in the heat of the game they continued to go with old standbys that may have worked but not as well.  He still contends he could have won games more easily that year if he had gotten the tight end more involved.

Now that is high-school and this is college, they have tons of assistants and analysts and are paid millions of dollars so I don't know if that correlates.

bballjws2004

What in Mitch Mustain's career leads you to believe that he was actually the better player?  Other than his recruiting ranking obviously.

SemperHawg

The coach has told us multiple times about all he requires from an off the field and practice stand point for players to have a better shot at playing.  I think like the poster above referenced the buy in on things like being #Uncommon cloud Bielema's judgment on who is his best option to play.  Johnny Gibson may be all the way bought in to the rah rah system that Bielema wants out of a player and Brian Wallace may not be.  Its Bielema's choice as the HC on how much he bends his standards to fit his players or how much the players have to bend theirs to fit him.  Without opening up the "Win at all Costs" argument, I am of the opinion that you have to mold what you do to fit today's 18 year old kid/student athlete. 

I've brought this up in previous post on the subject, but a guy like Matt Jones may have never seen the field under Bielema, or at least not as a QB.  Nutt was thought to have been frustrated with his practice habits from time to time, but knew when the lights cam on that 9 gave him the best shot to win. 

I honestly think Bielema can't see past his core  philosophy when it comes to talent evaluation.

PorkSoda

Quote from: bballjws2004 on October 11, 2017, 04:54:50 pm
What in Mitch Mustain's career leads you to believe that he was actually the better player?  Other than his recruiting ranking obviously.
at arkansas he was 8-0 he didn't play at USC because he was beat out by 3 other 5 star QBs

at arkansas he was benched in favor of a 2 star.

he was also coincidentally benched at the same time his high school coach / OC was "benched" and HDN took over play calling.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

snoot hoggy hog

Mannnn, Brian Wallace has been getting dogged. D-Linemen was eating his lunch. Go back and watch the film.

My only problem with any of this is that I do not believe our HC or staff has any real idea who is the best suited to start or sub.  None.  That ole I will defer to the HC is horseshit.

hog.goblin

Pittman was right when he said OL recruiting was suffering and would result in a couple of difficult years.  Not developing the young talent just made it worse.

Bebop

Quote from: lawhawg20 on October 11, 2017, 02:35:01 pm

Because he is either dumb, stubborn, or arrogant. Could be a mix of all 3.

presidenthog

Quote from: King Kong on October 11, 2017, 02:40:13 pm
It's a weird situation. Brian Wallace was better last year than what we are currently putting out there

This. This. This. It makes no effing sense.

lakecityhog

Guys, when you question the reasons for anything associated with the O'Line there is 1 thing to keep in mind. He chose a walkon true freshman with a best offer of Tulsa to start over every player listed below. If you can figure that one out then you are up on 90% of Hogville!

Now, let me say this about the young man in question, I have NO ISSUE with him at ALL!!! I do believe that he could become a very good lineman if a couple of years. He just is NOT physically ready to face top flite upper-classmen of the SEC.

68   Kirby Adcock   OL   Fr   6-5   288   
66   Ty Clary   OL   Fr   6-4   286   
57   Shane Clenin   OL   Fr   6-6   300   
67   Tyler Hall   OL   R-Fr   6-4   296   
71   Jackson Hannah   OL   Jr   6-2   305   
55   Jake Heinrich   OL   R-Fr   6-4   293   
64   Audry Horn   OL   Fr   6-2   329   
99   Deion Malone   OL   Jr   6-3   304   
79   Jalen Merrick   OL   So   6-4   322   
76   Paul Ramirez   OL   Sr   6-5   308   
50   Jake Raulerson   OL   Sr   6-4   313   
75   Zach Rogers   OL   Jr   6-1   309   
61   Cooper Sone   OL   So   6-2   272   
78   Dalton Wagner   OL   Fr   6-9   311   
60   Brian Wallace   OL   Jr   6-6   337

TNRazorbacker

All this conspiracy talk of secret superstars never seeing the field due to dark political forces is just BS.

Mustain was benched because he wasn't the best option plain and simple. That's also why he never played a down after trotting off to USC. And don't give me any of the 8-0 nonsense. My fat white arse could have been 8-0 handing off to Jones and McFadden in those games. Ultimately Mitch was the tragic victim a hyper inflated head exacerbated by really bad advice.

I'm sure it's the same deal now too (the not good enough part- I have no idea about the players heads). The pressure to win is too great not to play your best players in this league.

The concern is the number of blue chip players that aren't turning out.  You expect to see some flame outs but we basically have an entire O line worth of 4 stars that just aren't any good right now. This is bizarre and seems to point to poor development, bad player evaluation, or just extraordinarily bad luck.

KlubhouseKonnected

Mitch was good for a true freshman. He should have gotten another chance late in the season, but he and Dick's stat lines were practically indistinguishable.

Just FYI.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Dionysos25

No, Mitch Mustain was a Quarterback, Brian Wallace plays on the Offensive Line. While one could argue Mitch is a better blocker, they clearly play different positions.
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

HogFoo

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 11, 2017, 02:21:58 pm
Unfortunately there are a TON of strange things going on IMO. Without knowing what's truly going on behind the scenes I'm afraid we'll continue to be left in the dark without solid reasons being offered.
Anderson needs to go.  I heard a story of what a strange situation might be and after I heard the scenario, as much as I already wanted Anderson fired, I now want him fired even more.  I'll say this tho, the best OL guys haven't been playing.  Wallace is listed as a starter now, but I think that's more to do with Bielema knowing his job is on the line over the next few games than it has to do with Anderson wanting Wallace to start.    Drama..   what a beeech!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

regi

What I think may be going on (I have no inside info, and this may have already been discussed), is Bret and his Big 10 buddies are trying to free up some scholarships. I think we only have 15 total, and we need more help at OLB, DL, OL and more speed n all areas. Now, it is obvious, that benching Wallace HAS NOT improved line play. In fact we are worse, or on pace to be worse. Which is hard to believe, considering nobody has given up more QB sacks, hits and pressures than Arkansas, since Rex Ryan's gopher, and workouts sessions monitor, took over. It has now been floated around, that they are wanting a different body type OL also, for Enos' offense, hence the reason Pitman left. So, play your Senior or Freshmen, if all things are close talent wise. Make it clear, that Juniors, RSSo classes, etc... might want to look elsewhere, playing time is going to be scarce here. Wallace, Rogers, Malone (should never have been signed to start with, classic panic Bert move) and Merrick, are al in good academic standing as is Gragg for that matter. So it will not hurt APR. Now this goes on everywhere, but, we are worse than we were, with Wallace starting. It is insane.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: hogz11 on October 11, 2017, 10:57:21 pm
Can't see the forest for the trees.......

I'd characterize it more as simply pointing out that a particular imaginary forrest doesn't really exist.  Too many Alex Jones types cooking up nonsense.

Hogs_fan_for_life

If my memory serves me correctly, Casey Dick was slated to be the starter that season but a back injury kept him on the bench until the night he took over for Mustain.

Been10Hog

If Wallace is really as great as some seem to say he is, then he should graduate, transfer to Alabama and become 1st team All-American and a 1st round draft pick!

Killean

You do realize that Mitch Mustain has the highest interception rate of any Razorback QB with at least 6 games started.. EVER?
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

razorcash2

Quote from: bballjws2004 on October 11, 2017, 04:54:50 pm
What makes us wonder if Mitch Mustain was better than Casey Dick?

Was it not obvious?

Dionysos25

Quote from: hogz11 on October 11, 2017, 10:56:37 pm
If you're being sarcastic, you're terrible at it.

If you're being serious, then you are brainless.

Lol. It's the former. I took a shot at humor. I laughed. Find the joy in things man.
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: razorcash2 on October 12, 2017, 09:35:05 am
What makes us wonder if Mitch Mustain was better than Casey Dick?

Was it not obvious?

Statistically it was not obvious

razorcash2

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on October 12, 2017, 09:38:05 am
Statistically it was not obvious
8-0...plus the change had little to nothing to do with Casey being better. It had more to do with Nutt's ego and pride.

Nutt isn't exactly known for making good decisions.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: razorcash2 on October 12, 2017, 10:51:45 am
8-0...plus the change had little to nothing to do with Casey being better. It had more to do with Nutt's ego and pride.

Nutt isn't exactly known for making good decisions.

8-0 handing off against the weaker competitors that Dick handed off against.

8-0 = "Mustain was playing great" is for mental midgets.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on October 12, 2017, 12:31:12 pm
8-0 handing off against the weaker competitors that Dick handed off against.

8-0 = "Mustain was playing great" is for mental midgets.

We have not be 8-0 since so He and Gus was doing something right.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

snoot hoggy hog

Mannnn, that 8-0 was all because of D-Dawg, Felix, and Hillis. Get out your feelings. Mustain wasn't all of that.

Been10Hog

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on October 12, 2017, 01:23:32 pm
Mannnn, that 8-0 was all because of D-Dawg, Felix, and Hillis. Get out your feelings. Mustain wasn't all of that.
He proved that! He took his 5 stars and vanished into oblivion

draftkings33

Mustain was awful dude.  Ask any coach.  Average arm, below average strength and mental game. 

draftkings33

Quote from: draftkings33 on October 12, 2017, 01:25:40 pm
Mustain was awful dude.  Ask any coach.  Average arm, below average strength and mental game. If he was in Austin Allen's shoes right now he would be broke in half.