Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema blames players, not coaches!

Started by redleg, October 11, 2017, 01:12:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

King Kong

Well I think he is blaming talent not players.

Of course he is the HC who signed off on those players

al_pigcino

I mean he has a point.  The tackles (highly touted 4 stars) suck.  Development can only go so far. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: al_pigcino on October 11, 2017, 01:24:24 pm
I mean he has a point.  The tackles (highly touted 4 stars) suck.  Development can only go so far.
That is assuming there IS development. And what, pray tell, would lead you to any conclusion that there actually is ???

1highhog

I don't care if he has a point or not, as a Coach you just don't put the blame on the team or individual players.  This right here should show everyone that's a boss of his that he needs to go.

GunnerHawg70

October 11, 2017, 01:42:52 pm #5 Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 02:02:18 pm by GunnerHawg70

I do believe players have to possess the will to FIGHT and WANT to do better.  Coaches can only coach so much, they can't play the position for them.  Now the inherent problem with the OL IMHO is CKA.  I don't think his NFL approach to literally HS kids is working, maybe to complex from the basic skills they were taught in HS. CSP knew how to harness and work with HS talent to get them in position to make the right calls, pass protection technique and run blocking scheme.

Again, CBB has an offensive philosophy that is being bastardized with the philosophies of spread offense (CDE) and OL schemes that are not working with current OL players (CKA)...

So the blame should be put on the coaches first for not realizing what they're trying to accomplish is not working and adjust to a scheme that works.  I can also point at the players (upperclassmen specifically) for not leaving it all on the field.  If they did, not one underclassman should be starting on the OL... Just my little old opinion and observation.

HogPharmer

So what is CBB's job then? He recruits the players. If a 4 star can't live up to his grade or potential, is that not the coaches fault for not implementing a proper scheme that his players can either adapt to or learn?
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Drop the Mike

al_pigcino

So it's his fault if players don't pan out?  You're acting like he has a history of this.  If he's known for great offensive lineman, he recruits good offensive linemen, then in the end he doesn't have a good offensive linemen..........the history is on his side not the player's.  The coaches can't play the game for them.

Redhogs

Quote from: al_pigcino on October 11, 2017, 01:50:12 pm
So it's his fault if players don't pan out?  You're acting like he has a history of this.  If he's known for great offensive lineman, he recruits good offensive linemen, then in the end he doesn't have a good offensive linemen..........the history is on his side not the player's.  The coaches can't play the game for them.
He evaluated, recruited, and developed HIS players..it's his damn job..if he is poor at this ...he's a poor coach. He get's $4mill a year to do these things..why is this so hard for you???
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

bennyl08

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 11, 2017, 01:34:07 pm
That is assuming there IS development. And what, pray tell, would lead you to any conclusion that there actually is ???

Compare Froholdt this year to last year and get back me on how there is no development.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

WilsonHog

There is (or should be) a distinct difference between what a coach thinks or what he talks about in a coaches' meeting and what he shares publicly.

rhames

History is not on his side when it comes to Arkansas. Don't care about what he did at Wisconsin.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Redhogs

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 11, 2017, 01:56:57 pm
There is (or should be) a distinct difference between what a coach thinks or what he talks about in a coaches' meeting and what he shares publicly.
Yes, he is flat out admitting that HE is poor at his job and doesn't have sense enough to realize it. In sooo over his clueless windbreaker.

hawgon

Quote from: bennyl08 on October 11, 2017, 01:56:32 pm
Compare Froholdt this year to last year and get back me on how there is no development.

Austin Allen and about 80 of his hits say, "You're welcome for the SEC OJT, Mr. Froholdt."

al_pigcino

I swear HV wants CBB to go 2-11 to rub it in his face.  If he won out it would be the worst thing in the world.  If he knows anything it's development of linemen and running backs. 
For every Wallace there's a Ragnow.  There is more than one linemen people.

Vantage 8 dude

While we're at it let's look at the ENTIRE roster, top to bottom, before we draw any sweeping conclusions. And based on this your verdict would still be the same?

WilsonHog

Quote from: al_pigcino on October 11, 2017, 02:24:01 pm
I swear HV wants CBB to go 2-11 to rub it in his face.  If he won out it would be the worst thing in the world.  If he knows anything it's development of linemen and running backs. 

The fact that we began the year with a freshman walk-on at right guard and a former walk-on at right tackle while four 4-star linemen that he signed can't get on the field, mitigates your premise.

redleg

I find it hard to believe that Bielema and his staff missed on 4 linemen that were all 4 star recruits. Wallace, Merrick, and Rogers were all Bielema/Sam Pittman signees. That makes it even more difficult for me to believe in a lack of player effort, and more in a lack of coaching and player development.
Also, as a head coach, you do NOT say crap like this in public. You could try to say it is the coach calling out his players to fire them up, but in reality it is the coach making excuses. I don't know about the rest of you, but my dad always said that "Excuses are like buttholes. Everybody's got one, and they all stink."
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: al_pigcino on October 11, 2017, 02:24:01 pm
No, wrong there. On more than one occasion I've clearly stated that I'm personally rooting for the TEAM and program. If both of those are succeeding then I'm going to assume....crazy I know....that the HC and staff are doing their jobs. Look, for a long, long time I've been a clear CBB supporter. Not because I have some personal relationship with the guy-never even met him-it's because he's our HC and his ability to get the players to play to their max is critical to the success of the team. And as far as the adequate development/play of the OL over the past year or so I honestly have to ask is the overall performance what you expect of a properly developed, coached team? If so then I really have to question your definition of success.

LRHawg

I think it's a no-win situation blaming the players as head coach, especially in year 5. You might can get away with playing that card year 1-2 but after that it's on you.

Kevin

year 5, he recruited all this players. if he is saying they are not talented enough, then it is on him & his staff.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jvanhorn

Quote from: redleg on October 11, 2017, 01:12:30 pm
Wow. Just...wow.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-coach-bret-bielema-kurt-anderson-offensive-line

WHEN YOU THROW YOUR WHOLE TEAM UNDER THE BUS IT IS ALL OVER.  IF YOU WERE A RECRUIT WOULD YOU WANT TO COME TO A PLACE WHERE IF THINGS GO BADLY YOU ARE GOING TO BE THROWN TO THE WOLVES?

Hogs-n-Roses

I remember Danny Ford would come on the TV and say things like "we didn't do our jobs and have #27 taught to be over here when the QB did this" or that was on us coaches for not having the team prepared for this or that. IE He took full responsibility, even said it one time, "We brought this kid here to play this position and have not got him where he should be, he's a 20 year old kid. Us coaches have been around this for a lifetime.

Bubba's Bruisers

History only goes so far.  His history over the last couple years suggest the opposite. 

That said, I think FANONTHEHILL is correct.  It's that we changed our style when Enos arrived, which probably didn't agree with Pittman's style.  No more focus on running with big, physical OL...like Wallace and probably many of the upperclassmen recruited by Pittman.  Now it's seemingly changed to smaller, more athletic and mobile type OL, which seems more suited for the spread, but we're not committed to the spread. And we're still seemingly trying to smash mouth with some regularity without the type OL players necessary to do so.  As if we're in no-man's land.  Trying to be some hybrid offense without the talent necessary to accomplish it.  BB needs cure the double personality and pick a scheme and go all in with it.     
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: jvanhorn on October 11, 2017, 02:43:25 pm
WHEN YOU THROW YOUR WHOLE TEAM UNDER THE BUS IT IS ALL OVER.  IF YOU WERE A RECRUIT WOULD YOU WANT TO COME TO A PLACE WHERE IF THINGS GO BADLY YOU ARE GOING TO BE THROWN TO THE WOLVES?

Wasn't that what killed Houston Nutt?  Yeah, it was.  He never took an ounce of blame for jis team's failures. 

hogfan14

Quote from: rhames on October 11, 2017, 01:58:33 pm

History is not on his side when it comes to Arkansas. Don't care about what he did at Wisconsin.

Ragnow has seemed to develop fine. Why can he develop him but not the others?

I don't think either side deserves all the blame. Even Alabama has busts every once in a while, they just don't hurt them as much.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hogfan14 on October 11, 2017, 03:04:37 pm

I don't think either side deserves all the blame. Even Alabama has busts every once in a while, they just don't hurt them as much.
True 'Bama does have a bust or two along the way. However, they're far less common AND they have far more top notch players to begin with. And would anyone really want to argue the fact they generally do a hell of a job developing the folks they do have ???

DLUXHOG

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on October 11, 2017, 03:00:53 pm
Wasn't that what killed Houston Nutt?  Yeah, it was.  He never took an ounce of blame for jis team's failures. 

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

rhames

So one guy? It's probably more to do with Ragnow

How many oline men from arkansas that Bret bought in are playing on Sundays?

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

AugustaHog

The buck stops right there with him.  He got to pick those players.  It's ultimately his job to provide the talent that he has to work with and develop.  All of a sudden, there's no talent on the OL and we're in year 5.  I'm thinking it's on one guy and he's passing the blame to kids 21 and 22 year olds.  If they aren't talented enough, his fault.  If they don't work hard enough, his fault.  If his OL coach sucks and can't develop them, his fault.  For every excuse he is making covering up for his mistakes or the lack of success of his OL coach, they all come back to him.  There may be a lot individuals who are not getting it done or aren't maximizing their abilities.  Whatever reason may be behind that, it is CBB's job to make sure they perform come Saturday afternoon.  I'm so tired of excuses from him and I'm tired of the narrative that goes along with them.

Redhogs

Bringing Alabama into a discussion about Bert, is not smart. ::) ::)

PorkRinds

Quote from: rhames on October 11, 2017, 03:37:42 pm

So one guy? It's probably more to do with Ragnow

How many oline men from arkansas that Bret bought in are playing on Sundays?

Really only his first class is old enough. And from that class, I think 2/3 are in the NFL.

hawgfan4life

I supported BB until this season and after the TCU loss.  I have been critical of the OL coach even when I was still defending BB.  I made some subtle posts last year questioning the OL coach, but I gave him the off season and summer to improve his chemistry and coaching with the players.  The OL is pitiful and it is basic fundamentals in too many cases.  I have lost count of how many unhindered run-through our LOS the defense gets to the inside or playside gap of the OL while the OL is looking around or doubling outside gap.  It happens every game with the same players and then the coach is quoted in the paper that the 4 star recruit can't get on the field because he makes a few mistakes late in the week during practice.

BB is doing what is human nature to do, which is to rationalize reasons that deflects responsibility and blame.  There might be some truth to some of what he is saying, but he recruited those players and he hired the OL coach.  If he knew there were OL issues last year, he should have sold his soul to get some post-graduate OL players or JC players in for this season.  It took him no time to find a RB he needed. 

My opinion is that he has been enamored with his hire of KA and possibly some of the jargon, drills, and techniques KA talks about and teaches, and he can't see the problems right in front of his nose.  I believe our OL coach has single handedly destroyed our QB's confidence and play, the ability of our OC to be effective, and it has filtered into every other area of the program that was already fragile.

BB had five years to get this program steered into the right direction.  We have a small signing class for next year because we have retained players so well.  To whine about a couple of players leaving early and missing on a couple of recruits is petty and embarrassing.  EVERY team has players leave and they miss on some recruits.  It appears he has recruited and coached like the results he is getting.  Stop whining and making excuses and coach with the commitment you required from your players and you preach. 

BB has reached a new low and it feels like the program is officially worse than any time under HDN.  I didn't know that was possible.

longpig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 11, 2017, 02:57:57 pm
History only goes so far.  His history over the last couple years suggest the opposite. 

That said, I think FANONTHEHILL is correct.  It's that we changed our style when Enos arrived, which probably didn't agree with Pittman's style.  No more focus on running with big, physical OL...like Wallace and probably many of the upperclassmen recruited by Pittman.  Now it's seemingly changed to smaller, more athletic and mobile type OL, which seems more suited for the spread, but we're not committed to the spread. And we're still seemingly trying to smash mouth with some regularity without the type OL players necessary to do so.  As if we're in no-man's land.  Trying to be some hybrid offense without the talent necessary to accomplish it.  BB needs cure the double personality and pick a scheme and go all in with it.     

But we still have one of the heaviest offensive lines in college football.
Don't be scared, be smart.

al_pigcino

Getting pushed back by lower tier teams isn't on the coaching.  It's on the players.  If you haven't noticed the past 2 years we would have been better off placing the banner that high school teams run through on the line instead of our typical OL.  How many times have you said "oh great, it's 2nd and goal from the 3 we will never push it in" over the past 2 years?  That is beyond coaching.  That's not talent either.  That's just being man handled.  That's on the players. 

ShadowHawg

What isn't making sense is that Froholdt wasn't good enough last season to have played as much as he did. This season Clary is not good enough to have a spot locked down. So why aren't the other guys being given the same leeway?

We just have CBB's word that the other guys aren't good enough. I have seen plenty of coaches get caught up with the potential of players instead of who would actually perform better.

azhog10

I have no problem with him saying we don't have the horses......I have a problem with him saying it halfway through the season. Every year he talks about how great we are doing, how great the line is progressing. Why not just say, our line is gonna struggle.....they know it and we know it. At least halfway through the season it's no shock to anyone.

How about change what you are doing to fit what you have......that would be smart I would think.

hogfan14

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 11, 2017, 03:11:42 pm
True 'Bama does have a bust or two along the way. However, they're far less common AND they have far more top notch players to begin with. And would anyone really want to argue the fact they generally do a hell of a job developing the folks they do have ???

This is where it all comes down to the chicken/egg argument. Is Calipari really the best developer of talent in college basketball or does he just get a ridiculous amount of NBA-ready players every year? The truth is probably somewhere in between.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: al_pigcino on October 11, 2017, 04:44:23 pm
Getting pushed back by lower tier teams isn't on the coaching.  It's on the players.  If you haven't noticed the past 2 years we would have been better off placing the banner that high school teams run through on the line instead of our typical OL.  How many times have you said "oh great, it's 2nd and goal from the 3 we will never push it in" over the past 2 years?  That is beyond coaching.  That's not talent either.  That's just being man handled.  That's on the players.
So are we do draw the conclusion that you find totally no problem with either the coaching or in game adjustments?

Al Boarland

He needs to quit blaming the players HE recruited and start questioning the evalutations that put him in this position.

kodiakisland

Less mistakes yes but not as physical as he was last year.  Too much finesse and that's coaching.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

BroyledNutts

RebHog

Quote from: tusked on October 11, 2017, 02:01:11 pm
How can you whiff on 4, 4* OL?

This there are always 4 star busts but really 4 of them are so bad not a single one can crack the starting lineup of this horrendous unit. This doesn't pass the smell test. Just keep blaming the players....I will wish you well on the way out(not really). #CoachFail

HogimusMaximus

goodguytex

WE seem to have an entire squad of under achievers.  We have under achieved for every year BB has been here.  WAKE UP.

Calling All Hogs

For years Bielema has been spouting the line that he only recruits uncommon players implying that is more important than stars. He and Long are both BS artists.