Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Cupboard Was Never Bare

Started by Boss Hog in the Arkansas, October 11, 2017, 11:23:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MountieDawg

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 11, 2017, 11:36:12 am
Go look at the 2010 AND 2011 recruiting classes. It was bare. Sure we had some good players but you have to some halfway decent depth. Those guys should have been the upperclassmen during CBB first and second years but instead the underclassmen had to step up in a big way.

DEPTH IS WORSE 5 YEARS IN!  NOT 1 DEEP AT MANY POSITIONS!  PROBABLY NOT MORE THAN 6 STARTERS ON THIS TEAM WOULD START AT MORE THAN 1 OR 2 SCHOOLS IN THE SEC.
SEC!

From Tusk Till Dawn

The cupboard has always been bare here, some years worse than others.  Over the past 10 years (2.5 regimes) we have averaged 10th in the sec in recruiting.   And guess what, if you look at those coaches at the schools below ours their records are as bad or worse.

GuvHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 11, 2017, 11:51:32 am
We were when he was hurt early in the season with no depth behind him. A mistake for that one season that wasn't going to be good anyway?   

Yes, it was a mistake. The OC was high on BM all spring and wanted him as the starter for 2013 but Bret overruled him and started BA because Bret liked to play favorites. BA clearly wasn't ready to be the starter in 2013 and the OC knew it. That overrule by Bret put a strain on the relationship he had with the OC and finally resulted in the OC leaving later along with his O-Line coach.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on October 11, 2017, 01:21:08 pm
The cupboard has always been bare here, some years worse than others.  Over the past 10 years (2.5 regimes) we have averaged 10th in the sec in recruiting.   And guess what, if you look at those coaches at the schools below ours their records are as bad or worse.

Even though most here do not want to admit it, college football still comes down to jimmies and joes. If ou do not have at least close to what your opponent has, your x's and o's do not matter. And that is why many do not want to deal with that because. 25 years in, it is apparent that the talent problem can not be fixed in a way to SUSTAIN winning at a high level.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 11, 2017, 11:36:12 am
Go look at the 2010 AND 2011 recruiting classes. It was bare. Sure we had some good players but you have to some halfway decent depth. Those guys should have been the upperclassmen during CBB first and second years but instead the underclassmen had to step up in a big way.

BS. The 2014 Hog defense (which was by far the best Defense Bret has had at Arkansas) was anchored by Petrino recruits. At least half of the defensive starters that year were BP's recruits (I realize that Spaight was CBB's recruit). It's no coincidence that the defense tanked after Petrino's recruits left

factchecker

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on October 11, 2017, 01:21:08 pm

It starts in state.

All the talk about hating mediocrity and demanding excellence means nothing when your high school football produces mediocre talent.  One DMAC every 20 years doesn't cut it.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on October 11, 2017, 01:29:15 pm
BS. The 2014 Hog defense (which was by far the best Defense Bret has had at Arkansas) was anchored by Petrino recruits. At least half of the defensive starters that year were BP's recruits (I realize that Speight was CBB's recruit). It's no coincidence that the defense tanked after Petrino's recruits left

You guys are so small picture when looking at recruiting. You have to look at the entire class, how many stayed the full time, how many left early ( regardless of reason ) how many played significant roles on the team. Yes, the 2014 team had some good defenders on it, but overall it was a weak class that was even worse when you figure in signees that did not stay or stayed but did not play much. If those classes were so good then Brooks Ellis could have redshirted, so could the olmen and HH, and some of the db's that BB signed in 13 and 14.

You could go out and sign 7 top 50 recruits and have a great class on ranking, but if the rest of the class is full of non contributors, that class, when it is all done, is not going to accomplish much.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: GuvHog on October 11, 2017, 01:29:15 pm
BS. The 2014 Hog defense (which was by far the best Defense Bret has had at Arkansas) was anchored by Petrino recruits. At least half of the defensive starters that year were BP's recruits (I realize that Speight was CBB's recruit). It's no coincidence that the defense tanked after Petrino's recruits left
somebody gets it
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 11, 2017, 12:15:42 pm
"If you want to be competitive in the SEC, you better have big, strong defensive linemen, physical guys, and lockdown corners. If you don’t have that, you don’t have a chance. And right now they don’t have that." …

Really?  We didn't have that?  Do Trey Flowers, Deatrich Wise, Darius Philon, Chris Smith, Robert Thomas, and Chris Smith count?  Do the Patriots (Flowers and Wise), Chargers (Philon), Giants (Thomas), and Bengals (Smith) know that the defensive linemen currently on their rosters from Arkansas...the ones left to Bielema by Petrino...aren't good enough to play?

I always find it more accurate and authoritative to go back four and five years and look at predictions than the actual results that have transpired in the meantime.

hogsanity

Quote from: factchecker on October 11, 2017, 01:29:50 pm
It starts in state.

All the talk about hating mediocrity and demanding excellence means nothing when your high school football produces mediocre talent.  One DMAC every 20 years doesn't cut it.

Watch out, there are those here who actually believe the Hogs do not sign enough in state players now.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on October 11, 2017, 01:33:07 pm
You guys are so small picture when looking at recruiting. You have to look at the entire class, how many stayed the full time, how many left early ( regardless of reason ) how many played significant roles on the team. Yes, the 2014 team had some good defenders on it, but overall it was a weak class that was even worse when you figure in signees that did not stay or stayed but did not play much. If those classes were so good then Brooks Ellis could have redshirted, so could the olmen and HH, and some of the db's that BB signed in 13 and 14.

You could go out and sign 7 top 50 recruits and have a great class on ranking, but if the rest of the class is full of non contributors, that class, when it is all done, is not going to accomplish much.

Brooks Ellis could have redshirted if Bielema hadn't run off Otha Peters.  Try to keep up.

Wildhog

Quote from: factchecker on October 11, 2017, 01:29:50 pm
It starts in state.

Which is why you have to have a coach that gets the most out of the mediocre talent he's able to sign. 

That 2008 class wouldn't be viewed the way it is today if it weren't for Petrino and what he was able to get out of them.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: GuvHog on October 11, 2017, 01:21:46 pm
Yes, it was a mistake. The OC was high on BM all spring and wanted him as the starter for 2013 but Bret overruled him and started BA because Bret liked to play favorites. BA clearly wasn't ready to be the starter in 2013 and the OC knew it. That overrule by Bret put a strain on the relationship he had with the OC and finally resulted in the OC leaving later along with his O-Line coach.

That's complete bull darn right there.

GuvHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 11, 2017, 01:35:00 pm
Brooks Ellis could have redshirted if Bielema hadn't run off Otha Peters.  Try to keep up.

Hammer meet Nail!! Well said Eastex!

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 11, 2017, 01:37:13 pm
That’s complete bull darn right there.

No sir, it is not! That is EXACTLY what happened! Look how Chaney's offense is kicking butt and taking names at Georgia. It's obvious that Bret's interference hampered Chaney here at Arkansas.

hogsanity

It is easy to keep up with you, just find Petrino's as% and you will be attached.

Tell you what, since you seem to be some sort of expert on the great classes BP signed after a 10 win and an 11 win season, why don't you list every player in those classes and what they did while here.

If you can use the search function someone did that a couple years ago and it was pathetic how little overall production those 2 classes provided.

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on October 11, 2017, 01:39:50 pm
No sir, it is not! That is EXACTLY what happened!

You choose the strangest arguments to make.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 11, 2017, 01:37:13 pm
That's complete bull darn right there.

Remember, for Guv and a few others, everything is always someone conspiring to NOT play the best players.

factchecker

Link?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on October 11, 2017, 01:43:14 pm
You choose the strangest arguments to make.

All one has to do is look at what Chaney is accomplishing at Georgia this year and it's quite obvious that he was hampered by Bret's interference at Arkansas.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: GuvHog on October 11, 2017, 01:48:06 pm
All one has to do is look at what Chaney is accomplishing at Georgia this year and it's quite obvious that he was hampered by Bret's interference at Arkansas.

so.... what will it take to get you and many others here off of Bret's back?
a) at least a 10-2 season next year?
b) at least a 9-3 season this year?
c) both?

what if he did that?   would there still be complaining?  what is "good enough"?
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on October 11, 2017, 01:40:57 pm
It is easy to keep up with you, just find Petrino's as% and you will be attached.

Tell you what, since you seem to be some sort of expert on the great classes BP signed after a 10 win and an 11 win season, why don't you list every player in those classes and what they did while here.

If you can use the search function someone did that a couple years ago and it was pathetic how little overall production those 2 classes provided.

I can see you're starting to get angry now that the tide is finally turning and the incompetent coach and AD you have defended so long are probably on the way out.  Gee, where have I heard this before?  Oh, yeah, now I remember.  Speaking of having something attached to someone's whatever, you know all about that.  You were the biggest Nutt defender on this board.

I don't need search functions.  I remember every bumbling, incompetent move made during this entire sorry affair.  Big Boy and Long...and let's not forget Long's buddy John L. Smith, whose creditors in a bankruptcy case Long tried to help Smiley screw over...have presided over the decimation of the Arkansas football program.  While for some reason that doesn't seem to bother you, it irks the hell out of most of the rest of us.

hogsanity

YEa, cause the talent level at GA this year is on par with what the Hogs had in 2013...............

factchecker

"Chaney said Allen was by far the best QB.  He said that Mitchell was nowhere near as good as Allen."

Don't ask me for proof just look at what is happening at a school with 5 star talent up and down the roster as evidence.

This is what you are doing when you make outlandish claims without proof.

Provide a sound byte, an interview, or a link that backs your claim:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Jim Harris

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 11, 2017, 11:32:54 am
Pretty sure McKay transferred to Cincinnati post Petrino firing. Just another bullet stat people use to make it look like things were obviously on the downhill while Petrino was still here. Nevermind players that left after the firing.

He's in the NFL now? Good to hear.

Otha Peters got a shot this summer. But he wasn't good enough for Bielema when they didn't have more than 1 linebacker worth squat. Never understood that. They ran him off. Bielema's game apparently requires a whole lot of thinking instead of just playing.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

hogsanity

Quote from: factchecker on October 11, 2017, 01:51:46 pm
"Chaney said Allen was by far the best QB.  He said that Mitchell was nowhere near as good as Allen."

Don't ask me for proof just look at what is happening at a school with 5 star talent up and down the roster as evidence.

This is what you are doing when you make outlandish claims without proof.

Provide a sound byte, an interview, or a link that backs your claim:

Did you really just ask Guv to back up something he said?  Thats the funniest thing I have heard today.

From Tusk Till Dawn

No sir, it is not! That is EXACTLY what happened! Look how Chaney's offense is kicking butt and taking names at Georgia. It's obvious that Bret's interference hampered Chaney here at Arkansas.
Careful, Chaney was not their first choice.  They wanted Enos (and HV has already established our entire staff is terrible)

PorkRinds

His offense at GA has nothing to do with your assertion that he wanted Mitchell to be the starter.

hogsanity

BTW, Peters was on the team in 2013, he played in 5 games.

factchecker

Quote from: hogsanity on October 11, 2017, 01:53:27 pm
Did you really just ask Guv to back up something he said?  Thats the funniest thing I have heard today.

I don't get it.  I don't understand the need to push rumors, hearsay, and in some cases flat out lies.  Bielema is done here.  He will be gone soon.

If you need any defense for wanting him gone simply state his record.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: hogsanity on October 11, 2017, 01:55:50 pm

Funny how "realists" don't even know who was on the team.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Wildhog

Quote from: factchecker on October 11, 2017, 01:56:03 pm
I don't get it.  I don't understand the need to push rumors, hearsay, and in some cases flat out lies.  Bielema is done here.  He will be gone soon.

If you need any defense for wanting him gone simply state his record.

Honestly.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Jim Harris

Quote from: hogsanity on October 11, 2017, 01:46:18 pm
Remember, for Guv and a few others, everything is always someone conspiring to NOT play the best players.

Well, to be fair, Bielema did bring in his buddy's son from Juco to be backup quarterback, let Mitchell walk to NCState, and then was forced to start him at Rutgers and to backup BA all year when he could have been already playing TE, his natural position and where he's excelling now in the NFL. But don't let that change the narrative.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

factchecker

I guess Bielema pushed AJ Turner out as well.

How did he do at jonesboro state?

I heard that Chaney wanted to start Peavey over everybody.

How is he doing at SMU?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 11, 2017, 01:33:38 pm
Really?  We didn't have that?  Do Trey Flowers, Deatrich Wise, Darius Philon, Chris Smith, Robert Thomas, and Chris Smith count?  Do the Patriots (Flowers and Wise), Chargers (Philon), Giants (Thomas), and Bengals (Smith) know that the defensive linemen currently on their rosters from Arkansas...the ones left to Bielema by Petrino...aren't good enough to play?

I always find it more accurate and authoritative to go back four and five years and look at predictions than the actual results that have transpired in the meantime.

Well you didn't really dispute the SEC coach who said it when you listed 3 DEs including a Fr in 13 in Wise and Philon was a Fr. Not a lot of proven talent there especially at DT. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

DLUXHOG

Quote from: factchecker on October 11, 2017, 01:56:43 pm
Funny how "realists" don't even know who was on the team.

and I'm sure, that you, by memory and without the help of the internet, can list every player that played or started for the Hogs in 2013............  please...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Jim Harris

Quote from: hogsanity on October 11, 2017, 01:55:50 pm

Right. He was on hand for one Bielema season. And he had to play as true freshman for John L.

hogsanity

Quote from: Jim Harris on October 11, 2017, 01:57:36 pm
Well, to be fair, Bielema did bring in his buddy's son from Juco to be backup quarterback, let Mitchell walk to NCState, and then was forced to start him at Rutgers and to backup BA all year when he could have been already playing TE, his natural position and where he's excelling now in the NFL. But don't let that change the narrative.

IRRC Mitchell did not want to be the back up, and I do not blame a 5th yr sr for that, so BB helped him find a place where he could grad transfer and play.

Temprees

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 11, 2017, 11:25:57 am
Best players were a center and FB on the first team. After BM left we had zero qb depth and was forced to play BA.
We were not forced to play BA as our QB, after BM left. BM left because Coach BB named BA as the starter coming out of spring practice. That was BB's first big mistake.

Jim Harris

Quote from: factchecker on October 11, 2017, 01:58:04 pm
I guess Bielema pushed AJ Turner out as well.

How did he do at jonesboro state?

I heard that Chaney wanted to start Peavey over everybody.

How is he doing at SMU?

A.J. Turner apparently smoked his way out of both places. Wasted talent.

Peavey is third string at SMU. I didn't gather that he was Chaney's first choice to sign anyway, but they failed to get the Oklahoma kid he liked to chose Alabama and then transfered elsewhere.

factchecker

Quote from: Jim Harris on October 11, 2017, 01:57:36 pm

To be fair, A.J. Derby walked on and earned his scholarship by moving to tight end.  He didn't want to move there at first so he was allowed to walk on at quarterback.  He was forced into a backup role because Mitchell left and Austin was red-shirting.  Thankfully, A.J. listened to the coaches and moved to tight end.

Without that move A.J. wouldn't be in the NFL.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogsanity

Quote from: Temprees on October 11, 2017, 02:00:20 pm
We were not forced to play BA as our QB, after BM left. BM left because Coach BB named BA as the starter coming out of spring practice. That was BB's first big mistake.

why was it a mistake to start a future NFL draft pick at QB for a team that everyone knew was going no where that season. The experience he got that year helped him be a good Qb in 14 & 15.

factchecker

Quote from: Jim Harris on October 11, 2017, 01:58:49 pm
Right. He was on hand for one Bielema season. And he had to play as true freshman for John L.

Otha also broke his arm during fall camp in 2013.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: hogsanity on October 11, 2017, 02:01:57 pm
why was it a mistake to start a future NFL draft pick at QB for a team that everyone knew was going no where that season. The experience he got that year helped him be a good Qb in 14 & 15.

Wait..... Allen is in the NFL?

It has to be because Bobby Allen is paying someone.  Maybe some GM is kin to the Allens.  :puke:
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Jim Harris

Quote from: hogsanity on October 11, 2017, 01:59:19 pm
IRRC Mitchell did not want to be the back up, and I do not blame a 5th yr sr for that, so BB helped him find a place where he could grad transfer and play.

I get that. I don't think it's farfetched for the others here to say that BA as a third-year sophomore still wasn't ready to be an SEC starter either, but he wasn't the reason they couldn't even win one league game in Bielema's first season. In your first year at the helm, it makes perfect sense that if you see BA as your starter in years 2 and 3 and you don't see BM as that big of a difference maker that first year, you do what Bielema did. No argument there.

I just want to know why Bielema thought Austin Jones needed to be a starter at LB that first year? That lasted 1 game? 2? Not meaning to demean Jones, I know he gave everything he had. I just don't like how they messed with Peters for a year if he had next level ability.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Temprees on October 11, 2017, 02:00:20 pm

Who would we have played if not BA after BM left?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: factchecker on October 11, 2017, 02:03:51 pm

And once he recovered he played. Eliis had to play because with that injury Ellis and Spaight were the only 2 MLB's on the team, because there were none from the 10 or 11 classes.

Jim Harris

Quote from: factchecker on October 11, 2017, 02:03:51 pm

I can't remember anymore, did they consider redshirting him then or did he just some special teams work when he was ready to come back?

Jim Harris

Quote from: factchecker on October 11, 2017, 02:01:18 pm
To be fair, A.J. Derby walked on and earned his scholarship by moving to tight end.  He didn't want to move there at first so he was allowed to walk on at quarterback.  He was forced into a backup role because Mitchell left and Austin was red-shirting.  Thankfully, A.J. listened to the coaches and moved to tight end.

Without that move A.J. wouldn't be in the NFL.

thanks for being fair.

hogsanity

Quote from: Jim Harris on October 11, 2017, 02:04:57 pm
I get that. I don't think it's farfetched for the others here to say that BA as a third-year sophomore still wasn't ready to be an SEC starter either, but he wasn't the reason they couldn't even win one league game in Bielema's first season. In your first year at the helm, it makes perfect sense that if you see BA as your starter in years 2 and 3 and you don't see BM as that big of a difference maker that first year, you do what Bielema did. No argument there.

I just want to know why Bielema thought Austin Jones needed to be a starter at LB that first year? That lasted 1 game? 2? Not meaning to demean Jones, I know he gave everything he had. I just don't like how they messed with Peters for a year if he had next level ability.

As fact pointed out, Peters broke his arm in fall camp, which kept him out for about 2 months.