Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long is heavily in CBB corner so what does it take for Him to Change?

Started by nwahogfan1, October 11, 2017, 08:47:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

Of course Money talks and if the Money wants CBB gone then I think Long will waver and win out.

But what on the football field will it take for Long to jump ship?   What about embarrassing losses to Bama and Auburn and that is a big possibility.   What about only 5 wins or less season this year?   

Arkiebarkie

No Butts in the seats will get his attention as well as the BOT.

GoldCoastHog

Based on Longs' body of work; there's a growing contingent of, not only the curbside fans, but also those with actual influence , that are no longer concerned with his position regarding the sitting coach.

hogcard1964

Long will fight with all he's got to keep him regardless of his failures.  We could lose out and he still wouldn't admit his mistakes.  This is why Long has to be cut loose first.

...Although I do think we'll win 3 or 4 more games.

EastexHawg

The best thing that could happen...the dream scenario, in fact...would be for Long to dig in his heels and say if Bielema goes I go...killing two birds with one stone.

hawgon

Long will jump ship just like he did at Pitt when the water got hot.

Ironhawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 11, 2017, 09:21:41 am
The best thing that could happen...the dream scenario, in fact...would be for Long to dig in his heels and say if Bielema goes I go...killing two birds with one stone.

IMO this is exactly where we are headed.  Long has made it abundantly clear that he is 100% behind Bielema.  Despite the fact that almost all Hog fans would like to see this era end amicably, I think things will get ugly before all is said and done.

The Hawg Marshal

Heck Jeff could be looking for a job right now as far as we know, or he could be digging in his heels ,with no intention of leaving for the foreseeable future.

hawgon

He is digging in his heels while looking for a job.  I guarantee you THAT is what is happening.

Jizzyjizz

How do you know he's really in his corner? He's saying he is but does that mean it's true? He's about to have to go hire another coach. It'll make it a lot easier to do that if he comes across as an AD that has his coaches back when it gets tough.

East Clintwood

Long needs to go no matter what.  Just take him completely out of the picture regarding Bert's situation.

After that's done, let the new guy hire Brets replacement.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Dwight_K_Shrute

Long made it clear he was behind BB 100% after I believe the TCU game.  That's when the we aren't a "Win at all costs" BS came out.  He could say that because there was a reasonable patch to 7 or 8 wins after that game.  A&M while disappointing was at least a close loss with an improved offense.  After the pure darn storm that was the SC game Long can change his tune.  Sometimes the best thing for an AD to do is be as quiet as possible and let the situation play out.

One thing supporting your coach does is make you more attractive for other coaches.  If you are seen as weak, a meddler, or a bus thrower underer it may turn some coaches off.  In the end he can say I supported BB, we gave him X,Y,Z and unfortunately it just didn't work out.  I wish it had because he's a heck of a guy and we wish him and his family nothing but the best. 

I expect JL to be much quieter from this point forward and he has already been keeping a lower profile.  That's a plus. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Torqued pork

Any AD will show public support for a coach up until he gives the coach his walking papers. Be careful about reading too much into Long's public support for Bielema.

niels_boar

Any good AD should show complete confidence in his coach in public right up until the day before he fires him.  Whether you want CBB to stay or go, what Long says to the press is irrelevant.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

phadedhawg

Bielema will be The Man right up to the split second that he is not.  Jeff ain't Frank, he doesn't use the media to put pressure on his head coaches.  He will be their best friend right up til the moment he invites them over for a little chat. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on October 11, 2017, 08:47:54 am
Of course Money talks and if the Money wants CBB gone then I think Long will waver and win out.

But what on the football field will it take for Long to jump ship?   What about embarrassing losses to Bama and Auburn and that is a big possibility.   What about only 5 wins or less season this year?   

The BOT telling Jeff it is you or him. You make the call.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

texas tush hog

DLUXHOG

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 11, 2017, 12:15:28 pm
The BOT telling Jeff it is you or him. You make the call.

wouldn't you think that the BOT is telling Jeff, "it's either him, or you and him.   You make the call." ?
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

texas tush hog

Quote from: niels_boar on October 11, 2017, 12:02:56 pm
Any good AD should show complete confidence in his coach in public right up until the day before he fires him.  Whether you want CBB to stay or go, what Long says to the press is irrelevant.

Come on Nebraska. Bail us out.

Grizzlyfan

It doesn't matter a whit if Long is "heavily in Bielema's corner" at this point in the season.  It will matter at the end of the season if we are 5-7, or worse.

And no professional athletic administrator is going to start attacking the head coach at this point in the season.