Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Expectations vs Reality

Started by Pork Twain, October 11, 2017, 12:45:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcard1964

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 11, 2017, 12:57:40 pm
Coastal is the only winnable game we have left on our schedule.  Every other game would require an upset for us to get a W

There's 5 "winnable games" left.

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on October 11, 2017, 01:45:54 pm
I dunno.  Why did people expect 9+ wins in 2011?  I guess if a coach has proven he can do something, people are more likely to expect it.

There was never any reason to expect Bielema to win 9+, because he'd never proven capable of such at Arkansas.

I am talking about how every year, when people post their expectations it is always 9 or 10 or more wins. This year was no different. With new olinemen coming to a ol that was not great last year, losing almost all of the receiving production, losing RWIII, losing another DL to the NFL this was somehow supposed to be a 9+ win team?

The 2011 team, in particular, had almost everyone back from 2010 team, and had a 4th yr JR stepping in at QB. Picking them with 9+ wins was reasonable.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LRRandy

Quote from: hogsanity on October 11, 2017, 01:43:59 pm
What I can't figure out is what people base these "expectations" of 9+ wins every year on. Cant be $, everyone above the Hogs in the SEC has money, cant be facilities they all have nice facilities. Sure as heck can't be recruiting base. So what is it except there is no grounding in reality when they make these predictions.
Love. Blind Hog love. Not football related, just blind love for all things razorback.
This is fun, isn't it.

hogsanity

Quote from: LRRandy on October 11, 2017, 01:51:11 pm
Love. Blind Hog love. Not football related, just blind love for all things razorback.

Love will make people do stupid things.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: LRRandy on October 11, 2017, 01:51:11 pm

:'(

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 11, 2017, 01:50:04 pm
I am talking about how every year, when people post their expectations it is always 9 or 10 or more wins. This year was no different. With new olinemen coming to a ol that was not great last year, losing almost all of the receiving production, losing RWIII, losing another DL to the NFL this was somehow supposed to be a 9+ win team?

The 2011 team, in particular, had almost everyone back from 2010 team, and had a 4th yr JR stepping in at QB. Picking them with 9+ wins was reasonable.

It was definitely reasonable to expect 9+ wins from Petrino, I agree.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on October 11, 2017, 02:01:36 pm
It was definitely reasonable to expect 9+ wins from Petrino, I agree.

yet he only did that twice in 4 seasons............... BTW how is he doing with the reigning heisman winner, oh just like here, can't win the games he has to win to actually win a title.

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 11, 2017, 02:04:20 pm
yet he only did that twice in 4 seasons............... BTW how is he doing with the reigning heisman winner, oh just like here, can't win the games he has to win to actually win a title.

Well, he's got two 9 win seasons in his first three years back.  That's why UL fans expect those kind of seasons.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on October 11, 2017, 02:06:30 pm
Well, he's got two 9 win seasons in his first three years back.  That's why UL fans expect those kind of seasons.

Bp's teams have lots of sizzle on the steak, but when it comes to the table you realize they were cooking spam.

jkstock04

Quote from: Torqued pork on October 11, 2017, 12:53:58 pm
Why would anyone who saw our games against Mizzou and Va. Tech think this would be a good year? Those games said everything about where we were as a program.
I can answer this. Because in modern history Arkansas has never gone this long as in consecutive years of being terrible. Therefore, there is this mentality that it's "just supposed" to happen because that's the way it's always been. There is a lot of blind faith/things magically working out attributed to this.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 11, 2017, 02:10:02 pm
Bp's teams have lots of sizzle on the steak, but when it comes to the table you realize they were cooking spam.

And they win a lot of games.
1909/1964/1965/1977

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on October 11, 2017, 02:10:02 pm
What would you say we have been cooking the past 5 years? Lol it always comes back to this.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 11, 2017, 02:13:53 pm
What would you say we have been cooking the past 5 years? Lol it always comes back to this.

MMMM, a really tough flank steak full of grisle.

kaiserhog

There is a very vocal minority who want  3 yards and a cloud of dust come hell or high water

urkillnmesmalls

Well, we're certainly NOT seeing this on Hogville.   ;D

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on October 11, 2017, 06:46:38 am
So Bobby Petrino's 21-5 run in 2010 & 2011, the BCS game, a Cotton Bowl win over the Big 12 champion, a #3 ranking at one point, a top 5 finish....none of that ever happened?
Bobby Petrino was the best coach and the best fit we have had at Arkansas since I started watching
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/