Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Expectations vs Reality

Started by Pork Twain, October 11, 2017, 12:45:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Twain

October 11, 2017, 12:45:45 am Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:19:23 am by Pork Twain
My honest expectations before the season:
W - Florida A&M*
W - TCU
W - Texas A&M*
W - New Mexico St
W - South Carolina
L - Alabama
W - Auburn
W - Ole Miss
W - C. Carolina
W - LSU
W - Miss St
W - Missouri

Holy Cow has CBB ever proven that I was off of my rocker and way too optimistic about the team he would field for us in year five.  I have honestly never been this disappointed in an Arkansas HC and that is saying lot since I have been following them through Crowe, Kines and John L.  I thought this was the year it all came together.

Reality of this year and how I can see it ending, based on the production so far:
W - Florida A&M*
L - TCU
L - Texas A&M*
W - New Mexico St
L - South Carolina
----------------
L - Alabama
L - Auburn
L - Ole Miss
W - C. Carolina
L - LSU
L - Miss St
W - Missouri
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 11, 2017, 12:45:45 am
W - Florida A&M*
W - TCU
W - Texas A&M*
W - New Mexico St
W - South Carolina
L - Alabama
W - Auburn
W - Ole Miss
W - C. Carolina
W - LSU
W - Miss St
W - Missouri

Holy Cow has CBB ever proven that I was off of my rocker and way to optimistic about the team he would field for us in year five.  I have honestly never been this disappointed in an Arkansas HC and that is saying lot since I have been following them through Crowe, Kines and John L.  I thought this was the year it all came together.

Reality of this year and how I can see it ending, based on the production so far:
W - Florida A&M*
L - TCU
L - Texas A&M*
W - New Mexico St
L - South Carolina
----------------
L - Alabama
L - Auburn
L - Ole Miss
W - C. Carolina
L - LSU
L - Miss St
W - Missouri

I had us down for 8 wins.  I think we still may sneak in 6 if we avoid more injuries, because Ole Miss, Miss St., and LSU are all winnable games, and we might get lucky and win 2 of those to go with the ones you predicted. 

What did it for me was early on when we had 3rd downs and continued to line up in a tight formation with a fullback and PROVE that we aren't good enough to push back a vaunted Florida A&M defense.  Just the fact that we continue to do that is a show of stubborness that a mule would aspire to.  It tells me all I need to know, which is that we've seen what BB can do, and it's not working. 

We were on the right track with Petrino in some regards, but he will never emphasize defense enough to win the big games.  But...his concept on offense is closer to what will work at Arkansas, which is scheming ways to get the ball to the playmakers, and for God's sake, KEEP THE OPPONENT GUESSING.  We're so predictable, which is why we get MURDERED in the second half. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

southarkhog06

Apparently Wisconsin Football coaches are a bit of fools gold, it is easy to pile up wins there. Look at Beilema, and Anderson, and look at what Chryst did before he got to Wisky.

hog911

Quote from: southarkhog06 on October 11, 2017, 12:58:36 am
Apparently Wisconsin Football coaches are a bit of fools gold, it is easy to pile up wins there. Look at Beilema, and Anderson, and look at what Chryst did before he got to Wisky.
Wisconsin is double the population of Arkansas and can go into the Chicago Area and over in to Minnesota. That's all the recruiting grounds you need to make up a entire roster. We get every other state's 2nd and 3rd tier recruits and we don't develop much in state D1 level talent. Until this changes I don't care who becomes the next coach we will struggle with success. Listen develop, develop, develop!!!!

Jimbob111

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 12:54:13 am
I had us down for 8 wins.  I think we still may sneak in 6 if we avoid more injuries, because Ole Miss, Miss St., and LSU are all winnable games, and we might get lucky and win 2 of those to go with the ones you predicted. 

What did it for me was early on when we had 3rd downs and continued to line up in a tight formation with a fullback and PROVE that we aren't good enough to push back a vaunted Florida A&M defense.  Just the fact that we continue to do that is a show of stubborness that a mule would aspire to.  It tells me all I need to know, which is that we've seen what BB can do, and it's not working. 

We were on the right track with Petrino in some regards, but he will never emphasize defense enough to win the big games.  But...his concept on offense is closer to what will work at Arkansas, which is scheming ways to get the ball to the playmakers, and for God's sake, KEEP THE OPPONENT GUESSING.  We're so predictable, which is why we get MURDERED in the second half. 

I've been saying this all along. It's BB's stubborness that losing games. He insists, and the media insists, that Arkansas is a "running" team. BS. You run or throw, depending on what wins the game, not just because that is your identity. The Razorbacks haven't had a running identity since Nutt left and they shouldn't claim to be just to have an identity. Identity is the most overrated aspect of any team. the identity is who they are not who they want to be. The identity should be winning games unfortunately, Bret is a loser who can't coach, runs a predictable, slow offense, and can't stay out of his own way.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Hawghiggs

Quote from: hog911 on October 11, 2017, 06:05:53 am

Wisconsin is double the population of Arkansas and can go into the Chicago Area and over in to Minnesota. That’s all the recruiting grounds you need to make up a entire roster. We get every other state’s 2nd and 3rd tier recruits and we don’t develop much in state D1 level talent. Until this changes I don’t care who becomes the next coach we will struggle with success. Listen develop, develop, develop!!!!

I'm not posting that you aren't correct. But we have three states next to ours that produce a fair amount of talent.  Louisiana and Texas are both top 10 recruitable states. Not to mention Missouri produces a fair amount of talent.  We've recruited only two players in the last three seasons from Missouri. We've recruited only 7 players in the last 3 seasons from Louisiana. My point is that we not only have a development problem but we have a coach problem.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Jimbob111 on October 11, 2017, 06:31:35 am
I've been saying this all along. It's BB's stubborness that losing games. He insists, and the media insists, that Arkansas is a "running" team. BS. You run or throw, depending on what wins the game, not just because that is your identity. The Razorbacks haven't had a running identity since Nutt left and they shouldn't claim to be just to have an identity. Identity is the most overrated aspect of any team. the identity is who they are not who they want to be. The identity should be winning games unfortunately, Bret is a loser who can't coach, runs a predictable, slow offense, and can't stay out of his own way.

We really aren't a running team. If we where. CBB would have over recruited the O-line. Which he didn't.

Porkchop#1

Wisconsin is double the population of Arkansas and can go into the Chicago Area and over in to Minnesota. That's all the recruiting grounds you need to make up a entire roster. We get every other state's 2nd and 3rd tier recruits and we don't develop much in state D1 level talent. Until this changes I don't care who becomes the next coach we will struggle with success. Listen develop, develop, develop!!!!
So Bobby Petrino's 21-5 run in 2010 & 2011, the BCS game, a Cotton Bowl win over the Big 12 champion, a #3 ranking at one point, a top 5 finish....none of that ever happened?

Redhogs

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on October 11, 2017, 06:46:38 am
So Bobby Petrino's 21-5 run in 2010 & 2011, the BCS game, a Cotton Bowl win over the Big 12 champion, a #3 ranking at one point, a top 5 finish....none of that ever happened?
Thank you....soooo tired of the "lil ol Arkie" syndrome by some of our loser fans...you can win at almost any P5 school with the right people and goals in place....it's proven over and over again, even at poor arkiesaw as you stated.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

jkstock04

They are going to tell you that was due simply because of "powerhouse" in state recruiting classes Petrino "lucked" into. Had Bielema been around then we would've had the same results or better. Believe that don't ya? No kidding though....that's the narrative on that.

Oh and the SEC was garbage then compared to now...forgot about that one.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

southarkhog06

Im not disagreeing with you, That is why I was excited about the hire. Bret promised develop, develop, develop, then did not develop.

hogcard1964

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 11, 2017, 08:24:28 am
They are going to tell you that was due simply because of "powerhouse" in state recruiting classes Petrino "lucked" into. Had Bielema been around then we would've had the same results or better. Believe that don't ya? No kidding though....that's the narrative on that.

I would argue it's garbage now. ...and it is.

go hogues

I had us winning 6 if we were lucky and got royally chastised time and again.

Until Saban leaves, Arkansas doubles in population or both, we'll be in a perpetual 5-8 win window.

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 11, 2017, 08:24:28 am

Not saying he lucked into it, but it was terribly good fortune that at the same time BP comes in with his style of play that a group of instate players that perfectly fit it came along. Just like it was fortuitous for HDn that the group of Dmac/Hillis/Monk and the in state olmen came along. Since the 2008 recruiting class the state of AR has not produced anywhere close to what that class became.

Anyone being objective has to admit that the in state talent has not been very good or deep for the past several years, and almost all of it has been at rb/wr/te. I am talking about SEC game changing talent.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Piggfoot

Yes it happened with once in a decade skill players from Arkansas that went on to the NFL. We don't have those on this team. Mallet and the recievers made that team. Allen is no Mallet. His brother was no Mallet.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

hogcard1964

Quote from: go hogues on October 11, 2017, 08:31:44 am
I had us winning 6 if we were lucky and got royally chastised time and again.

Until Saban leaves, Arkansas doubles in population or both, we'll be in a perpetual 5-8 win window.

7-5

That's all you can hope for with him.

Atlhogfan1

Never understood those lofty predictions. First year for 3-4 when we rarely have a good D anyway.  Only 3 SEC home games with some brutal road games. Was hoping for 7 and some signs this was about to take off. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Cotton

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 11, 2017, 12:45:45 am
W - Florida A&M*
W - TCU
W - Texas A&M*
W - New Mexico St
W - South Carolina
L - Alabama
W - Auburn
W - Ole Miss
W - C. Carolina
W - LSU
W - Miss St
W - Missouri

Holy Cow has CBB ever proven that I was off of my rocker and way too optimistic about the team he would field for us in year five.  I have honestly never been this disappointed in an Arkansas HC and that is saying lot since I have been following them through Crowe, Kines and John L.  I thought this was the year it all came together.

W - Florida A&M*
L - TCU
L - Texas A&M*
W - New Mexico St
L - South Carolina
----------------
L - Alabama
L - Auburn
L - Ole Miss
W - C. Carolina
L - LSU
L - Miss St
W - Missouri

Before the season I had us down for 5-7 and maybe we squeak out one to get to 6-6

W - FAMU
L - TCU
L - TAMU
W - NMST
L - USCe
L - Bama
L - Burn
W - Ole Miss
W - CC
L - LSU
L - MSST
W - Misery

I didn't think our offensive line would be so terrible I knew we had 0 big threat wide receivers and no QB to throw them the ball.  Only thing that changes is I don't see us beating Ole Miss now.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

jkstock04

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 11, 2017, 08:32:32 am
Yes it happened with once in a decade skill players from Arkansas that went on to the NFL. We don't have those on this team. Mallet and the recievers made that team. Allen is no Mallet. His brother was no Mallet.
LOL. Ya I'm sure a Bielema coached team would've maximized all that "talent." Take a look at the ranking of that 2008 class. Ranked #25-30 just almost like all of our classes turn out. The only true blue chip player on paper out of that class was Joe Adams.

I know it pains y'all to admit it, but Petrinos system and coaching got a hell of a lot more out of the players than Bielemas....especially at QB and WR. Guess that's the cost for all this integrity we now have instead.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Razorfox

That was a great run, but you act like just because we did that for that short period, that it was destined to go on forever.  Let's look at the other SEC-W teams that have done better than that or equal to that since then:

Bama
LSU
Ole Miss
Auburn
Mississippi State
Texas A&M

Gee, looks like all of them have done that.  So if all of them have been capable of doing that, most in short bursts and in Bama's cases sustained, how can we expect to be the second sustained one at that level?

All that being said, we should be better than we are, I'm not disputing that at all.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 11, 2017, 08:32:32 am

You also give no credit. Petrino had to recruit and develop those players. Adams was headed to SoCal. Their was a 4* Wide out that went to Ohio State. Another player a 4* DT went to Alabama, and yet another 4* RB that went to Mizzou. That CBB didn't even recruit. Petrino worked the state hard. It wasn't just blind luck.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 11, 2017, 08:42:21 am
LOL. Ya I'm sure a Bielema coached team would've maximized all that "talent." Take a look at the ranking of that 2008 class. Ranked #25-30 just almost like all of our classes turn out. The only true blue chip player on paper out of that class was Joe Adams.

I know it pains y'all to admit it, but Petrinos system and coaching got a hell of a lot more out of the players than Bielemas....especially at QB and WR. Guess that's the cost for all this integrity we now have instead.

That ranking didn't include a couple of 5 star transfers.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 11, 2017, 08:34:49 am
Never understood those lofty predictions. First year for 3-4 when we rarely have a good D anyway.  Only 3 SEC home games with some brutal road games. Was hoping for 7 and some signs this was about to take off. 

How anyone could have expected 11-1 shows the LACK OF REALITY in the thinking of many here.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogwild

Quote from: hogsanity on October 11, 2017, 08:50:56 am
How anyone could have expected 11-1 shows the LACK OF REALITY in the thinking of many here.

agree, but we are the 81st ranked team in the country, that should never happen much less in year 5 of a regime

We are behind Houston(#38) SMU(#56) Vandy(#62) N.Texas(#68) Arkansas State(#73)!

https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/cbs/130

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hogwild on October 11, 2017, 09:06:21 am
agree, but we are the 81st ranked team in the country, that should never happen much less in year 5 of a regime

We are behind Houston(#38) SMU(#56) Vandy(#62) N.Texas(#68) Arkansas State(#73)!

https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/cbs/130

But we understand that. 

Piggfoot

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 11, 2017, 08:44:15 am
You also give no credit. Petrino had to recruit and develop those players. Adams was headed to SoCal. Their was a 4* Wide out that went to Ohio State. Another player a 4* DT went to Alabama, and yet another 4* RB that went to Mizzou. That CBB didn't even recruit. Petrino worked the state hard. It wasn't just blind luck.
I only give partial credit to Petrino. Actually, Tim Horton was the recruiter in charge of Arkansas athletics. Horton took Petrino around Arkansas. Re-recruiting the players going elsewhere to a passing offense. Nutt wanted Mallet as a tight end. Unfortunately, In his zeal to rid Razorback athletics of Broyles people,Long ran him off. He would not approve his appointment when Bielema got here, that's why Lunney was hired.
Horton has been a really good hire at Auburn.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

jkstock04

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 11, 2017, 08:48:55 am
That ranking didn't include a couple of 5 star transfers.

"Lucky" I'm sure any coach Bielema included would've made happen.

BTW who was the other 5* transfer other than Mallett?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 11, 2017, 09:11:37 am
"Lucky" I'm sure any coach Bielema included would've made happen.

BTW who was the other 5* transfer other than Mallett?

Address your lucky comments elsewhere. I didn't mention luck or Bielema.

You Petrino fan boys should know that era well enough to not have to ask.

hogsanity

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 11, 2017, 09:10:16 am
Nutt wanted Mallet as a tight end.

That is not nor has ever been true. At one camp on the last day when they were just goofing around they put RM at TE. Never was he recruited to be anything other than a pocket passing Qb, by anyone, and that is why he left Mich, they brought in Rich Rod and his style dictated having a Qb that was a run threat, RM was never going to fit that bill.

Boardon Hamsay

The typical recipe for us to have an 8+ win season is heavy Jr/Sr leadership and experience at QB, WR, and OL mixed with minimally some kind of defensive identity, preferably of the Jr/Sr lead persuasion, especially in the secondary and LB.  To say the least, we were several ingredients short of anything resembling the necessary recipe to expect an 8+ win season.

My expectations waffled between 6-6 and 7-5. Below are some things that come to mind that are driving the gap between actuals and expectations.

1) AA underperforming from a leadership perspective, especially as it relates to rapport with the OL, WRs and overall sideline demeanor. This is a limited perspective of course, but he reminds me of Jay Cutler....detached, frustrated, and disinterested the few times I have seem him on the sidelines. Some of that is understandable given the hits he has taken but over time, it's hard to get guys to go to battle for you when you show frustration more than encouragement.
2) AA underperforming in terms of timely decision making
3) WRs need development/improvement on route running to help AA
4) offensive play calling needs to adapt via plays that develop more quickly to assist with 1-3
6) defense has improved a bit despite injuries and youth but still lacks an all encompassing "11 man defensive identity and attitude".
7) overall team morale is such that defeat becomes more accepted as the game progresses, particularly in the second half.
8 ) second half adjustments are completely extinct.
9) special teams are completely extinct.
10) player development, both mental and physical, has underperformed. We are slow and depending on more freshmen than we should.

I'm sure others will come to mind later....
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

jkstock04

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 11, 2017, 09:14:25 am
Address your lucky comments elsewhere. I didn't mention luck or Bielema.

You Petrino fan boys should know that era well enough to not have to ask.
Nice dodge and deflection. Only transfer like this I can recall was Broderick Green and he was a 4* not a 5*.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Jimbob111 on October 11, 2017, 06:31:35 am

It's hard to explain, because Enos brought in variety and we saw some immediate differences in the offense.  Then slowly over time, we've seen it revert back to what it was before he came.  That's hard to explain, but I don't think Enos would be lining up in double tight end sets on 3rd and 1, and just asking for the defense to put 10 in the box with a deep safety OVER AND OVER with zero success rate.  We finally saw some success by bringing Kelley in to run the Wildhog, but that won't work against the better defenses like Bama.

One thing that is really killing us is not having a "go to" WR that has the strength and speed to get open quickly off the LOS for slants and other fast developing plays that take advantage of the man coverage situations.  IMO that has limited us as much as anything else, and we took having some seasoned strong, and tough WR's for granted.  The guys we have out there now are OK in space, but they get rag dolled off the line and can't get separation quickly enough.   

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Wildhog

I expected us to go 7-5 against a weak SEC.  Turns out I underestimated this staff's ineptitude.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

rljjr

Here's hoping we win out. Of course hope isn't a strategy.

Anyone feel a Frost coming on? I could go for that.

riccoar

At best, I had us figured at 9-3.  Bama, Auburn, and LSU were definite L's.  Realistically, 8-4.

Wildhog

Quote from: rljjr on October 11, 2017, 10:09:46 am
Here's hoping we win out. Of course hope isn't a strategy.

Anyone feel a Frost coming on? I could go for that.

That'd be awesome.  Would probably cost a fortune, because Nebraska will be coming after him, and he's an alum.

I'd also love Brohm, Campbell, or Fleck.
1909/1964/1965/1977

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 11, 2017, 08:42:21 am

This debate still rages on 7 years later.  If you're going to argue that the 2010 and 2011 teams were almost solely due to coaching, and not the NFL talent on the teams, then that's your prerogative. 

But...just be aware that the same argument could be made for the 1998 team that HDN took over couldn't it?  His VERY first year, when the players were learning a new system right?  We all know how limited HDN's coaching proved to be, so how do you explain the blips on the radar in both 1998 and 2006?  Couldn't you just as easily argue that those teams were the benefactor from primarily in-state talent, and it wasn't solely the coaching?  He had two teams that excelled, and so did CBP, and the thread that ties them together is that they ALL had a high number of upper classmen and some NFL talent. 

It's easy to find the fails in CBB, but BP is who he is as well.  A great offensive mind who struggles to field a team that can win big games, because in his mind, the offense is "us" and the defense is "them," even when discussing his own team.  Defense wins championships, and even with a Heisman trophy winner, he's not taking the world by storm at Louisville either. 

Can the right coach win 10 at Arkansas?  Yes.  But let's don't act like it can be done devoid of talent, because the successful years you're alluding to had a wealth of developed talent on them.         

jkstock04

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 10:41:04 am
This debate still rages on 7 years later.  If you're going to argue that the 2010 and 2011 teams were almost solely due to coaching, and not the NFL talent on the teams, then that's your prerogative. 

But...just be aware that the same argument could be made for the 1998 team that HDN took over couldn't it?  His VERY first year, when the players were learning a new system right?  We all know how limited HDN's coaching proved to be, so how do you explain the blips on the radar in both 1998 and 2006?  Couldn't you just as easily argue that those teams were the benefactor from primarily in-state talent, and it wasn't solely the coaching?  He had two teams that excelled, and so did CBP, and the thread that ties them together is that they ALL had a high number of upper classmen and some NFL talent. 

It's easy to find the fails in CBB, but BP is who he is as well.  A great offensive mind who struggles to field a team that can win big games, because in his mind, the offense is "us" and the defense is "them," even when discussing his own team.  Defense wins championships, and even with a Heisman trophy winner, he's not taking the world by storm at Louisville either. 

Can the right coach win 10 at Arkansas?  Yes.  But let's don't act like it can be done devoid of talent, because the successful years you're alluding to had a wealth of developed talent on them.         
Simple question...do you think Bielema would have replicated or outperformed Petrinos results had he come here post Houston Nutt?

I say absolute ZERO chance. But that is what people are implying here with this topic. Petrino got lucky and Bielema has been unlucky.

I'll tell you something else...after witnessing the John L Smith year and the Bielema years I'm convinced Nutt wasn't just "lucky" either. He could at least motivate a team to a few wins. Guarantee you he wasn't 0-and infinity when trailing at halftime. A lot of this does come down to some sort of coaching....and I haven't witnessed Bielema to be the caliber of coach Petrino was or even Nutt was at Arkansas for that matter.

I don't think Bielemas only problem is being unlucky with in state recruiting. You can't convince me Bielema would've take a guy like Greg Childs and sent him to the NFL. I'm not going to buy that.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 11, 2017, 11:22:26 am
Simple question...do you think Bielema would have replicated or outperformed Petrinos results had he come here post Houston Nutt?

I say absolute ZERO chance. But that is what people are implying here with this topic. Petrino got lucky and Bielema has been unlucky.

I'll tell you something else...after witnessing the John L Smith year and the Bielema years I'm convinced Nutt wasn't just "lucky" either. He could at least motivate a team to a few wins. Guarantee you he wasn't 0-and infinity when trailing at halftime. A lot of this does come down to some sort of coaching....and I haven't witnessed Bielema to be the caliber of coach Petrino was or even Nutt was at Arkansas for that matter.

I don't think Bielemas only problem is being unlucky with in state recruiting. You can't convince me Bielema would've take a guy like Greg Childs and sent him to the NFL. I'm not going to buy that.

Nutt was just 0 for Octobers.

It isn't Bielema's only problem. 

No darn BB isn't as good as BP.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 11, 2017, 11:22:26 am

I have a question for you.  Does my post defend CBB in any way?  You're painting with a broad brush by insinuating that EVERYONE thinks CBB's failures are due to bad luck, or lack of in-state talent.  Again, he's had the benefit of a proven track record of developing players and sending them to the NFL, and that is undeniable.  YET DESPITE THAT, he has still failed to recruit well to the VERY position that he's been shown to be able to excel the most with, and built his reputation on...O-line.  That's a FAIL. 

What I'm saying is, using the success in 2010 and 2011 as the sole factor behind whatever beliefs you and others have regarding the expecation that 10+ win seasons will be the norm at Arkansas, isn't a fair assessment in my mind.  Those teams had exceptional talent on them, similar to the ones I referenced under Nutt.  Is it fair to expect a coach to come in and win 8 most seasons with the occasional 10 and 6?  Yes, because of the facilities we have, and us being in the SEC. 

The irony for me is, a few years back I stated that CBB was missing a few difference makers on each side of the ball, and that if he got them, he would probably be here a long time.  If he didn't, he would likely fail.  I said it more than once on this board in fact.  Yet here we are with arguably some difference makers, at least on the offensive side, and it's actually the LACK of the one thing I thought we would always have under CBB, which is a strong team in the trenches. 

That's what has soured me.  I was convinced that EVEN IF he didn't get top talent at the skill positions and a few difference makers there and on defense, the next coach would at least have a team that could block and tackle and be solid in the trenches, and he would have something to build on.  But...alas, that's where stink the worst.   :( ??? 

I won't defend CBB at this point.  I would absolutely love it if he got one more year and we shocked everyone and won 10 games, and staying the course for the sake of stability panned out.  I really would.  But when I see us out there, we're not even close to being a good football team.  Their are major issues on every single phase of the team, and we still see the same poor in game coaching and inability to adjust at halftime.  The end of the tunnel is dark. 

HoggyCat

Shhhhhhh.  Don't bring those pesky facts to an argument with rainbow warriors. They're like liberals, they gotta have someone else think for them, usually the media.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

hogsanity

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 11, 2017, 11:56:37 am

Shhhhhhh.  Don't bring those pesky facts to an argument with rainbow warriors. They're like liberals, they gotta have someone else think for them, usually the media.

No one denies those seasons happened. So did 2006, 1998, 1989 1988 1985 1879 1977  All really good seasons, most of them 10+ wins, and trips to what were then the bcs level bowl games. That those seasons can happen is not nor has ever been the question. The question is what level of success can be SUSTAINED at Arkansas.

pigsareflying

Quote from: hogsanity on October 11, 2017, 09:16:34 am
That is not nor has ever been true. At one camp on the last day when they were just goofing around they put RM at TE. Never was he recruited to be anything other than a pocket passing Qb, by anyone, and that is why he left Mich, they brought in Rich Rod and his style dictated having a Qb that was a run threat, RM was never going to fit that bill.

Hmmm, what if:

JFB hadn't forced HDN to hire GM in order to get the ill-fitting Springdale players and/or Hillis was never injured with a severe thigh bruise,causing his backup, Fish, to return punts in the SEC championship game! 

Or catch the ball on the first Sugar bowl play, or just scoop and score, or no pick to the D-end!

Sometimes reality just happens.  Accept it or not, what ifs are part of it and the butterfly effect causes chain reaction changes to expectations and tarnishes perspective and facts.

Win or lose WPS and GHG.  Eventually the dominoes will line up, CBB or some else.

urkillnmesmalls

I sorta didn't answer the question JStock.  No, knowing what I know now, I don't think CBB would have turned it around like CBP did.  And thinking back on it, those early CBP teams were similar to the one we see on the field now.  Flashes of what appears to be solid talent, but big blunders and lack of execution.  Seems inexcusable in year 5, even with significant losses from last year's team. 

SemperFi

Quote from: Wildhog on October 11, 2017, 10:06:46 am
I expected us to go 7-5 against a weak SEC.  Turns out I underestimated this staff's ineptitude.

I had that same record thinking along the very same lines as you. I did believe that we would win a bowl game and go 8-5 overall. However, ineptitude is an understatement when referring to our coaches ability to coach and develop players.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Torqued pork

Why would anyone who saw our games against Mizzou and Va. Tech think this would be a good year? Those games said everything about where we were as a program.

DeltaBoy

I really expected us to beat TAMU and USCe
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

phadedhawg

Coastal is the only winnable game we have left on our schedule.  Every other game would require an upset for us to get a W

hogsanity

What I can't figure out is what people base these "expectations" of 9+ wins every year on. Cant be $, everyone above the Hogs in the SEC has money, cant be facilities they all have nice facilities. Sure as heck can't be recruiting base. So what is it except there is no grounding in reality when they make these predictions.

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 11, 2017, 01:43:59 pm
What I can't figure out is what people base these "expectations" of 9+ wins every year on. Cant be $, everyone above the Hogs in the SEC has money, cant be facilities they all have nice facilities. Sure as heck can't be recruiting base. So what is it except there is no grounding in reality when they make these predictions.

I dunno.  Why did people expect 9+ wins in 2011?  I guess if a coach has proven he can do something, people are more likely to expect it.

There was never any reason to expect Bielema to win 9+, because he'd never proven capable of such at Arkansas.
1909/1964/1965/1977