Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A sticky thought regarding Bielema's job status

Started by Ben, October 10, 2017, 08:30:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

Everyone here for the most part wants bielema gone. The buyout makes things a little questionable about his future here. However, I got to thinking and wondered, what if Bret pulls out a 7 win season this year somehow? or even wins a bowl game? Compared to just completely blowing the season with a losing record, I feel Arkansas will keep him and be stuck in a loophole with Bret if he somehow manages at least 7 wins the next few seasons. Especially if he wins the bowl games.

That said, if Bret completely bombs this season, could it initiate him to getting fired early and stopping the potential loophole?
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Inhogswetrust

I see where you are going with this. You ask is it's better to fire him now so there won't be a chance these players that have worked so hard and sweated and sacrificed actually get enough wins only so that the coach they signed with to play for will not get fired if they make a bowl. Heck that's like hoping they lose and NOBODY should ever wish that on the players.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hawgon

I'd say that Bert might be here next year but the odds of Long being here are slim.

It is what happened at Pittsburgh.  The fanbase got tired of Wannstadt and Long bailed.  Then the next guy cut Dave loose even though he had a decent year in his last year.

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: Ben on October 10, 2017, 08:30:00 pm
Everyone here for the most part wants bielema gone. The buyout makes things a little questionable about his future here. However, I got to thinking and wondered, what if Bret pulls out a 7 win season this year somehow? or even wins a bowl game? Compared to just completely blowing the season with a losing record, I feel Arkansas will keep him and be stuck in a loophole with Bret if he somehow manages at least 7 wins the next few seasons. Especially if he wins the bowl games.

That said, if Bret completely bombs this season, could it initiate him to getting fired early and stopping the potential loophole?

Just my opinion, but best case scenario for all involved would be if CBB could pull out a 7 win season, qualify for a bowl, then get hired away or released.  UA would have the vacancy at the right time for a coaching search, and CBB would have a respectable finish in a very tough conference, which would make him more marketable for another university.  Wishful thinking though.

MuskogeeHogFan

Let's see what the next two games bring. If we get beat by 50 this weekend and 40 next weekend things may change.
Go Hogs Go!

Hoggish1

The key is removal of Long.  When that happens answers are more predictable.

rhog1

My problem is we have the easiest schedule we have had in a long time next year. If we mistakenly keep Bret then chances are he will win enough to keep his job next year and we are stuck.

Hoggish1

Quote from: hawgon on October 11, 2017, 06:36:57 am
I'd say that Bert might be here next year but the odds of Long being here are slim.

It is what happened at Pittsburgh.  The fanbase got tired of Wannstadt and Long bailed.  Then the next guy cut Dave loose even though he had a decent year in his last year.

Correct.

Long can not longer be allowed to evaluate issue about this program.

The Boar War

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 11, 2017, 07:08:50 am
Let's see what the next two games bring. If we get beat by 50 this weekend and 40 next weekend things may change.

If last week wasn't the breaking point I'm not sure what it would take.  A 26 point loss to a bad, injured SC team is (in terms of perception) worse than a 50 point loss to Bama. 

Ever since the Auburn loss last year we've been pointing to a bad outcome in the distant future and saying "If this happens...." only to realize that bad outcome and keep going.

Grunt

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 11, 2017, 07:08:50 am
If that will hasten the inevitable, I hope we lose by those points.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.