Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The "Needs more Time" Argument

Started by WilsonHog, October 10, 2017, 04:31:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Let's suppose for purposes of argument that we finish 5-7 this year (I certainly do not foresee four more wins).

That would mean that after five years Bret Bielema's overall record at Arkansas is 30-33 (.476) and his SEC record is 12-28 (.300).

You are Jeff Long.

Make your case for why he should get a sixth year. Why does he "need more time?"

(My bet is that there isn't one, and the only justification for keeping him is the amount of money it would take to get rid of him...which is one helluva lousy reason to keep a coach with that record, and which is directly the fault of the athletic director.)

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

davehog

Money, get away
Get a good job with more pay and you're okay
Money, it's a gas
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
New car, caviar, four star daydream
Think I'll buy me a football team

Lyrics from Pink Floyd's Money.....

That buyout is substantial.  That's real money that the athletic dept. is going to have to pay.  I just hope that CBB and his agent are amenable to a much lower buyout and a quiet exit. 

I get that as Razorback fans that we want to win but the money is a real issue.  Whether or not it comes from "big money boosters" or not it doesn't matter.  The number is the number. 

That's what makes this such a dung sandwich. 

onebadrubi

The eye test is not able to create a good argument here.  With each passing week we are seeing more things come to fruition that question the true managing skills of this coach.  I'm honestly shocked he's done so well this far keeping things not leaking from within the locker room

Redhogs

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 10, 2017, 04:31:59 pm
Let's suppose for purposes of argument that we finish 5-7 this year (I certainly do not foresee four more wins).

That would mean that after five years Bret Bielema's overall record at Arkansas is 30-33 (.476) and his SEC record is 12-28 (.300).

You are Jeff Long.

Make your case for why he should get a sixth year. Why does he "need more time?"

(My bet is that there isn't one, and the only justification for keeping him is the amount of money it would take to get rid of him...which is one helluva lousy reason to keep a coach with that record.)
Seriously?? This again?? There is no case, a 5 year failed experiment...next man up.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

orvillesghost

The money argument is certainly a valid one but I still have a feeling this is BB's last year and perhaps Long's as well.

I believe the *tipping point* has been reached for them both, all the way from the BOT to the average guy on the street.

Seebs

He needs more time to get the buyout lower. His 3,200 BFFs will have a new seat to perch in next year. Lots of distractions before he finds a new home.   
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Wildhog

There's not a reason, other than Jeff Long's awful buyout.

I'm sure we could knock his buyout down to $11M before Jan 1.  Just tell him that he's being terminated either way, and he can take his eleven million dollars now, or be fired on Jan 1, after signing a class full of kids.  Surely he won't want to do that to the recruits, and takes the $11M.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

davehog

Quote from: orvillesghost on October 10, 2017, 04:42:34 pm
The money argument is certainly a valid one but I still have a feeling this is BB's last year and perhaps Long's as well.

I believe the *tipping point* has been reached for them both, all the way from the BOT to the average guy on the street.

You do realize that Jeff Long is very well respected in the AD community?  Outside of football, he's done an outstanding job at the University of Arkansas. 

HoggyCat

I'm trying to understand why someone not employed at Arkansas would determine what happens with Bielema.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

ricepig

"Needs more time" to gather up the money.......

Wildhog

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 10, 2017, 04:45:14 pm
I'm trying to understand why someone not employed at Arkansas would determine what happens with Bielema.

Who says they would?
1909/1964/1965/1977

island hog

I think that if the defense starts to solidify and show signs of actually coming into its own, that would help.  Also, I think one thing that would open some eyes is if Kelley gets some starts and leads us to some wins.  Those two things would maybe give him more time.  I have liked the Allen boys but the current qb situation hasn't lived up to expectations

EastexHawg

Who in his right mind would allow Long to make the next hire?  If the idea is that he wouldn't be allowed to do it, there would be a committee or oversight from those above him...why do they need Long?  If you can't trust the AD to hire coaches, you need to find a new AD. 

Long has to go before Bielema, and there is no reasonable argument for keeping Bielema.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Everyone wants more time Wilson, wether that's with a passed love one, a couple trying to save a marriage whatever the circumstances may be but in the end we all have to face the inevitable. Sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't. In Long's case he's already let friendship with Bret and the buyout get himself in a tight spot. Friendship and making good business decision very seldom turn out good for any of the parties involved. I'm pretty sure just about all razorback fans wanted Bret to be successful but you've got to know when it's time to say uncle. It's time and time's up.....
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Atlhogfan1

You are Jeff Long.

(My bet is that there isn't one, and the only justification for keeping him is the amount of money it would take to get rid of him...which is one helluva lousy reason to keep a coach with that record, and which is directly the fault of the athletic director.)

?  At 5-7 you can't.  This will turn into the same discussion.  It's time to move on.  I don't know why BB would want a 6th year.  He should be hoping to get to 6 wins or whatever it would take for him to move right into his next job.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Bacons Rebellion

Top running back left football.
Top receiver out for year.
Top receiver recruit out with injury so far.
Top defensive back out for year.
Have not converted from road grader offensive line to lighter quicker line as fast as we were hoping.
We're adjusting personnel to the 3-4 which will be an advantage once we learn it effectively.
Our 5th year senior coach's son quarterback, who we were counting on to challenge for all SEC, has been a non-factor because of some of the above.

menehune

If we don't make a bowl game this year, which is entirely possible, the writing is certainly on the wall.  It would be a tough sell to even the most die-hard of us who want to believe that Bielema can win and survive to see another year.  I see the same scenario as when Danny Ford was here...good recruiting on paper, but lack of consistent results on the field.  Time will tell, but for now...I just want to be positive for the kids.  There will be plenty of time to figure the rest out. 

What if we lose to Bama and "God Malzahn's Auburn Tigers" but win out from there...probably not going to happen, but if we're hypothesizing, why not? That would make us 7-5 with a five game winning streak at the end of the year and a very favorable schedule next year. 

311Hog

i feel like Allen is injured, like his brother was so he cannot push the ball down the field in the short amount of time the OL is giving him, and thus defenses are T'ing off on him and stuffing the run etc.

The only hope IMHO is if Kelley plays and they just go all out with the wildhog, steamboat, etc. etc packages to win a few games down the stretch i think that would buy one more year because of the buy out.

Then next year is great or we are looking for a new coach and possibly AD i suppose.

hogcard1964

No clue, but I'm sure some sunshine and lollipopper will provide with one besides the buyout.

The_Iceman

Sunshine Rick brought up a better question:

Say Bielema finishes 6-6. He beats CC, Ole Miss, Mizzou, and splits Miss State and LSU. Then he goes and beats a bad 6-6 team in some lower bowl. Making him 7-6.

At that point, do you fire him?

swineology

You are Jeff Long.

This

Wildhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 10, 2017, 04:52:07 pm

Say Bielema finishes 6-6. He beats CC, Ole Miss, Mizzou, and splits Miss State and LSU. Then he goes and beats a bad 6-6 team in some lower bowl. Making him 7-6.

Long wouldn't, but yes. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Ironhawg

I don't think either JL or Bielema are going anywhere regardless.  IMHO Jeff Long weathers the storm of this season and brings Bielema back next year.  I have no sources.  That is just how I am feeling this is going to play out.

moses_007

The way the program is going, most of us old codgers here will be dead and gone before we get back to winning football games.

rzrbk4life

This is what I fear might happen. He does just enough to have a winning record. I want to still get rid of him if it happens.
Let's call those hogs!!!!

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Wildhog on October 10, 2017, 04:44:09 pm
There's not a reason, other than Jeff Long's awful buyout.

Which means Long's gamble backfired.  Instead of helping to keep a good coach, the buy-out has stuck us with a dud.........

Wilson, I guess you might get the line as I heard this morning on 103.7.  Someone named "Mike" said "Arkansas will NEVER be a winning program. Why fire BB?"
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

porkrindjimmy

Yep...and you do it right after the Mizzou game.

But you can bet Judy is hoping that he wins 5 in a row.

PRJ

The Hawg Marshal

I guess anything is possible, but I don't see 4 wins anywhere on the schedule. I hope I'm wrong.

007 License To Squeal

Oh the irony if he DID fire him then....
Long gave the extension when he was 7-6.......then he fires him at 7-6.....

Atlhogfan1

Can't let him coach the bowl if you are seriously considering firing him.  That bowl shouldn't matter if you have reached that point.

If we are 6-5 heading into the Mizzou game and things look different and some young players are the reason we are winning, then maybe we can have a discussion.  But I don't see it.  And that will be a tough sell after these next two games.  It is why asking these questions now are kind of pointless.  We still have the emotions of the next two losses to get through to see where we are as a fan base.  Going to be even more bat darn crazy after AU. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

farmhawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 10, 2017, 04:47:12 pm
Who in his right mind would allow Long to make the next hire?  If the idea is that he wouldn't be allowed to do it, there would be a committee or oversight from those above him...why do they need Long?  If you can't trust the AD to hire coaches, you need to find a new AD. 

Long has to go before Bielema, and there is no reasonable argument for keeping Bielema.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

depressed_fan

He needs more time because he just now has his own players in the system.  He started with Petrino's recruits and Petrino couldn't recruit.

He needs more time because whenever you don't think he's going to win, he does. See the Florida game last year. Blow out win. See the Auburn game, and Lsu, and Ole Miss shut outs. See the record against Ole Miss, a team that has beaten Bama a few times over the years.

He needs more time b/c he runs a clean program and has GPA at an all time high.

He needs more time b/c off the field he is not embarrassing the program.

He needs more time b/c you can justify every loss he has had b/c the other teams had more talent, or b/c he did not have his own players in the system, something that was out of his control.

He needs more time b/c he was a great coach at Wisconsin and had several 10 win seasons. He needs more time b/c he is still a young energetic coach with a lot to prove.

He needs more time b/c he is still learning the SEC.  He needs more time to implement his new 3-4 defense, the same defense most NFL teams and Saban also uses.

He needs more time b/c all indications are he can turn this thing around and lead us to the promised land.  He needs more time b/c only this year are we completely disgruntled over only 1 explainable loss, South Carolina. We played with TCU for 3.5 quarters and TCU looks like by far the best team in the big10.  We beat TCU at their house last year. The aggies look like the longhorns of old with their talent, and we played an overtime game with them and have played several overtime games with them since he's been here.

He needs more time because he might be able to get it done and take us to new heights.

GoHogs1091

The "needs more time" fallacy is what contributed to the 10 year Nutt saga.

At the high-level Power 5 Conference collegiate football level, the "needs more time" fallacy when it is obvious that a change needs to be made is what leads to a divided/fractured fan base, leads to recruiting (the life-blood of a collegiate football program) getting destroyed, leads to lost money, and leads to a loss of program prestige, which a loss of program prestige can make it more difficult to hire the next Head Coach.

HawgPound

Long made a home run hire on paper when he brought Bielema in. Did it work out? F no. That does not change that he brought a proven coach with a winning record to the program.

To answer OP's question....

Jeff Long, "We are doing things the right way."

rhog1

I have always thought Long was a great AD. But if he survives this mess of his making then at minimum he cannot be allowed to set coaches contracts without some oversight. Bielema's contract is totally one sided against the University. The next coach should have some performance based clauses in his buyout untill he starts winning at an acceptable level.

carolinahogger

Quote from: davehog on October 10, 2017, 04:44:32 pm
You do realize that Jeff Long is very well respected in the AD community?  Outside of football, he's done an outstanding job at the University of Arkansas.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Dwight_K_Shrute

You could make an argument if there was something in BB's recent history that showed he knows how to get things turned around and is capable of doing so.  Nothing that we have seen over the end of last year to midway this year points to that.  Same mistakes game after game after game.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Calling All Hogs

Cause Bielema was a proven winner at Wisconsin and now he is a proven loser at Arkansas so the two should cancel each other out and he be given another year to break the tie?

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on October 10, 2017, 05:23:51 pm
Cause Bielema was a proven winner at Wisconsin and now he is a proven loser at Arkansas so the two should cancel each other out and he be given another year to break the tie?

That, Sir, is brilliant!!!  Makes better sense than any other reason I've heard!!!

moses_007

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 10, 2017, 05:18:44 pm
You could make an argument if there was something in BB's recent history that showed he knows how to get things turned around and is capable of doing so.  Nothing that we have seen over the end of last year to midway this year points to that.  Same mistakes game after game after game.

Nothing in five seasons remotely hinted that he was capable of winning football here.

HawgsPolo

Brett should be let go based on winning percentage alone. I'm sorry
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

greenEGnHAWGS

Is anyone still saying he needs more time...?
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

moses_007

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on October 10, 2017, 05:30:58 pm
Is anyone still saying he needs more time...?
Mr. Jeff Long is still saying that.

The OTR

He's gonna win just enough games, six is my guess, to keep his job. We'll win a bowl game somehow or get a bowl game at least.  He will be back if we win six.

ImHogginIt

We've had six years of mediocre and below football. Apathy has almost set in with me. I imagine a large percentage of folks are feeling the same way. If he is back in 2018 there is no way in Hell I will have any interest. My wife has watched me agonize over crappy football all these years and keeps asking why I don't start becoming a fan of a local team like TCU. Well I've actually been following them a little bit this year and hope they continue to do well. Doubt I ever become a true fan after bleeding Razorback red since birth but you never know.

Jek Tono Porkins

The only situation where I think the "needs more time" argument would be valid was if he had some serious young talent waiting in the wings or was building a killer recruiting class. Neither of those things are true in Bielema's case.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

PorkSoda

if he accomplishes that, then you keep him.  my prediction in the spring was 7 wins.  my predicition has since been cut to 3 wins.

if he goes 3-9.  I'm not sure even his buyout will save his job.  11 mill or 7 mill.  its only a 4 mill difference, and a good hire would make that revenue back 10 fold in future earnings..
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hoglady

He's lost more winnable games here than any coach in recent memory.
He's gone through assistant coaches faster than any coach in recent memory.
He's a terrible game day coach.
I think we're seeing that Bielema had a better chance of winning with Petrino's recruits than he has with his own.
So why in the world would anyone keep him?
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality