Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If You've Been a Strong Supporter of Bielema Like Me

Started by The NewEra, October 08, 2017, 10:11:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The NewEra

Then it's time to ask some serious questions about on the field performance.  Are we a better football team now than we were five years ago?    Are we getting better each year?  Based on the past three years performance is it realistic to believe Bielema can make us competitive in the next two to three years?  Do we see a defense being built and a scheme that will allow us to be competitive in the next few years?  Is our offense more or less competitive as time goes by?  Are Special Teams improving?  Will the current trajectory of this program allow us to attract and sign recruits that will take us to the next level?

When I ask myself all of these questions I get a sick feeling in my stomach.  I just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Bielema said yesterday in his press conference that if it were just one problem it would be easy to fix.  He, like many fans, see that the work ahead, excluding character and academics are multi-faceted and frankly, if he knew the solution to the problems they would have already been addressed. 

I can go through multiple positions of concern along with their schemes, or lack there of.  Shuffling offensive linemen, a defense that's designed to give up yards instead of being ultra aggressive.  So on and so forth.  The point is, we have some good players, but as a team and under this leadership we are a bad SEC football team and they know it.  I don't see it getting any better soon or in the future.  I was going to give it to year end to make a final decision on the state of the football team.  At this point I don't feel I need to.  The losses are bad enough, but what is the most glaring red flag about the direction is the way we are losing these games and being non-competitive in every phase.

I don't know what's going to happen because of the huge buyout, and who would they hire next, but one thing is certain.  You would be hard pressed to find a Razorback Football Fan who goes into a Saturday with a realistic expectation we will win our game, and that should concern the powers that be.  A beautiful newly redesigned stadium opening in 2018 with a fan base with no optimism for the future and negative media attention about the direction of the program throughout the entire off season is not in the best interest of the University or this program.  Not to mention the young men who have committed to play football here.

Grunt

The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Grunt on October 08, 2017, 10:16:12 am
So what do we do now?

And maybe some of this

...and this

Life's too short to brood over bad football!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

The NewEra

So what do we do now?

Unfortunately, I have no answer to that.  The buyout probably means we continue down this path through at least the 2018 season.  However, as I mentioned above, the negativity surrounding the program in the meantime will take a serious toll on the football program.  I wish there was a good answer, but at this point it's all about a group of money men / women close to the program with a lot more money than me who felt it was time for a change and they were willing to fund it.

The NewEra

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 08, 2017, 10:22:39 am
And maybe some of this

...and this

I'm with you on that.  Time for more healthy outdoor activities that don't include football.

Danimal

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 08, 2017, 10:22:39 am
And maybe some of this

...and this

Yup. My next few weekends will be spent camped out on a smallmouth stream. I might not even take a radio.. It actually felt really good to say that -- peace out.

KennyForAD

Quote from: The NewEra on October 08, 2017, 10:27:28 am
Unfortunately, I have no answer to that.  The buyout probably means we continue down this path through at least the 2018 season.  However, as I mentioned above, the negativity surrounding the program in the meantime will take a serious toll on the football program.  I wish there was a good answer, but at this point it's all about a group of money men / women close to the program with a lot more money than me who felt it was time for a change and they were willing to fund it.

We stumbled into hiring the worst coach in football.  He will not be here next year.

The NewEra

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 08, 2017, 10:35:24 am
We stumbled into hiring the worst coach in football.  He will not be here next year.

If you're right, that would be the best thing for the program.  I also have trouble seeing how the media could come down hard on the fans this time the way they did surrounding the Nutt firing. 

Hawgphish

Can you imagine if he is still here next year for the Vandy game in LR?  The two worst programs in the SEC playing in War Memorial....

The NewEra

Quote from: Hawgphish on October 08, 2017, 10:48:41 am
Can you imagine if he is still here next year for the Vandy game in LR?  The two worst programs in the SEC playing in War Memorial....

And a crowd of 3,000-5,000

Hog N Bama

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 08, 2017, 10:35:24 am

I once thought that he would be here through 2018, but now, it is up to the PTB and I don't mean Jeff Long. It is going to have to come from people placed above him and I hope it does and what is more, I hope that Long isn't given carte blanche in the search for and the hiring of the next HC.

Yesterday was a two-fold problem. Not only did we get beaten by a team that we should have beaten, it is the way that we were beaten. The defense, while far from perfect, is playing well enough for us to win, if the Offense were just playing like they did last season, but they imploded for 3 quarters yesterday and handed the opponent 21 points and let's face it, have been generally under-productive in the 2nd half of games this season. Yesterday was embarrassing for this team and for the fans. We are a better team that we showed yesterday, but the staff is just not getting it done.

So, while I like what I see of Bielema as a person, I don't like what we have been seeing from his ability to manage a staff and a team and get better results. I wish him the best for the future wherever goes, but go he must, and the sooner the better for everyone, including him.
Go Hogs Go!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 08, 2017, 11:11:50 am
I once thought that he would be here through 2018, but now, it is up to the PTB and I don't mean Jeff Long. It is going to have to come from people placed above him and I hope it does and what is more, I hope that Long isn't given carte blanche in the search for and the hiring of the next HC.

Yesterday was a two-fold problem. Not only did we get beaten by a team that we should have beaten, it is the way that we were beaten. The defense, while far from perfect, is playing well enough for us to win, if the Offense were just playing like they did last season, but they imploded for 3 quarters yesterday and handed the opponent 21 points and let's face it, have been generally under-productive in the 2nd half of games this season. Yesterday was embarrassing for this team and for the fans. We are a better team that we showed yesterday, but the staff is just not getting it done.

So, while I like what I see of Bielema as a person, I don't like what we have been seeing from his ability to manage a staff and a team and get better results. I wish him the best for the future wherever goes, but go he must, and the sooner the better for everyone, including him.

It isn't just this season...Hogs are 0-16 under Bielema when trailing at half.

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 08, 2017, 11:11:50 am

I don't see how anyone can find fault with your arguments.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 08, 2017, 11:13:52 am

Yes, I am aware of that. I had that abysmal record figured out last season and I had hoped he would put an end to that streak this year, but he has only added to the streak. Yesterday was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back for me.
Go Hogs Go!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 08, 2017, 11:17:30 am
Yes, I am aware of that. I had that abysmal record figured out last season and I had hoped he would put an end to that streak this year, but he has only added to the streak. Yesterday was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back for me.

Yep, it happened a week earlier for me.

* Edit:  Actually two weeks earlier...

The NewEra

For me, it was yesterday's game.  That was the final opportunity for Bielema to show that he could turn this program around.  Losing to a SC team that we should beat, and being demoralized on national t.v. once again was the final straw.  The trend is only worsening.  We use to be embarrassed by good teams.  Now even mediocre to bad teams in the SEC are doing it to us.  Now, our schedule has us playing against the better teams, Alabama and Auburn.  This will not be pretty.

Al Boarland

You can't move on until you know who you are going to bring in that can get the results you want.  People thought CBB would be that guy. He had success at the P5 level. You do not want an LSU situation where you think you have a couple options only to be left with Ed O.

CBB's failure makes this job less attractive. Coaches will be concerned they can't bring in the talent to compete. They know you live and die by the players you can recruit to a program. It's a bad time to be stumbling.

247Hog

Quote from: Al Boarland on October 08, 2017, 11:35:10 am
You can't move on until you know who you are going to bring in that can get the results you want.  People thought CBB would be that guy. He had success at the P5 level. You do not want an LSU situation where you think you have a couple options only to be left with Ed O.

CBB's failure makes this job less attractive. Coaches will be concerned they can't bring in the talent to compete. They know you live and die by the players you can recruit to a program. It's a bad time to be stumbling.

They can also see the success CBP had recruiting to the same school. They can also see how we are more understanding than most SEC schools regarding success. We're not LSU and Auburn that has a coach win NC and gone couple of years later. We can always use the recruit to Fayetteville excuse to make us feel better about our failures but its not THE reason we suck on gameday.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The NewEra on October 08, 2017, 11:25:51 am
For me, it was yesterday's game.  That was the final opportunity for Bielema to show that he could turn this program around.  Losing to a SC team that we should beat, and being demoralized on national t.v. once again was the final straw.  The trend is only worsening.  We use to be embarrassed by good teams.  Now even mediocre to bad teams in the SEC are doing it to us.  Now, our schedule has us playing against the better teams, Alabama and Auburn.  This will not be pretty.

Just check this out. It will make you sick. This kind of thing really makes it more difficult for a defense to stay motivated and succeed.

S. Carolina Possessions   
     Start   Result
1   SC 35   Missed FG
2   Ark 15   FG
3   SC 45   Stopped at Ark 36
4   SC 22   Punt-lost yards
5   SC 35   2 plays-65 yds-TD
6   SC 25   Missed FG
7   SC 31   8 plays-69 yds-TD

8   SC 38   9 plays-58 yds-FG
9   INT Ret   SC TD
10   Fumb Ret   SC TD
11   SC 40   11 plays-60 yds-TD
12   SC 25   5 plays-16 yds-Punt
13   INT Ret   SC TD
14   SC 16   3 plays-9 yds-EOG

Go Hogs Go!

Ex-Trumpet

Hogs don't need a coach that might be concerned about talent.  I've never met a successful person that doubted his abilities.

Vantage 8 dude

While much of what you say is true, I disagree that no one worth his salt would be willing to take the job if it comes open. While we may not have the best situation when it comes to recruiting, we do have some top notch facilities, a truly top notch league AND a still passionate fan base. We're still the only P5 team in the state that has no professional team. While the job to resurrect the job won't be easy, I'm honestly convinced it CAN be done. Washington State, TCU, Oklahoma State, Utah, and other programs, while fine schools, have also fought much the same issues (with the major exception of the Frogs who sit right in the middle of Texas' great recruiting base) over the years and still managed to come up with revived programs. It starts at the top. If you don't have the correct leadership/coaching then it's going to be hard to achieve success. Arkansas, while perhaps never a truly elite program over the long run, still has the resources to be far better than the disaster we've seen over the past few years.

LRrazorback

Also ask, do fans of other SEC teams want us to keep CBB?  This is a strong indicator as to where we stand.

Jek Tono Porkins

For me I had just cleared the fence after the TCU game. After spending a Saturday driving to Arlington and witnessing that meltdown of Wagnerian proportions (for the third time against A&M in four years) I ran to the other side of the field. After this South Carolina game I've gone from the field to the woods.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 08, 2017, 11:49:33 am
While much of what you say is true, I disagree that no one worth his salt would be willing to take the job if it comes open. While we may not have the best situation when it comes to recruiting, we do have some top notch facilities, a truly top notch league AND a still passionate fan base. We're still the only P5 team in the state that has no professional team. While the job to resurrect the job won't be easy, I'm honestly convinced it CAN be done. Washington State, TCU, Oklahoma State, Utah, and other programs, while fine schools, have also fought much the same issues (with the major exception of the Frogs who sit right in the middle of Texas' great recruiting base) over the years and still managed to come up with revived programs. It starts at the top. If you don't have the correct leadership/coaching then it's going to be hard to achieve success. Arkansas, while perhaps never a truly elite program over the long run, still has the resources to be far better than the disaster we've seen over the past few years.

We have had enough talent in each of the last 3 seasons to have won 2 to 3 more each year than we did. That would have made those 9 to 10 win seasons. But poor coaching decisions or lack of preparation led to the vast majority of those 2-3 losses each year. We have now lost 3 so far that were entirely winnable but again, were lost due to poor execution/decisions by the staff more so than the players themselves. And while they are still learning and not perfect, the problem for once is not the defense.

The problem will be finding someone who is established as a successful HC that wants to come to Arkansas and put it all on the line in the SEC. I'm doubting that the next HC will be a previously successful P-5 HC.
Go Hogs Go!

arlhog

So what do we do now?
You get the best coach you can get.   As soon as you have your man you let CBB go in the best way you can.  Take the high road.   Work out the best deal you can for the school and treat CBB as good as you can.  Then you sign the new coach.  You will come out ahead by hiring a coach that can fix this, even if you pay off cbb.

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 08, 2017, 11:46:48 am
Just check this out. It will make you sick. This kind of thing really makes it more difficult for a defense to stay motivated and succeed.

S. Carolina Possessions   
     Start   Result
1   SC 35   Missed FG
2   Ark 15   FG
3   SC 45   Stopped at Ark 36
4   SC 22   Punt-lost yards
5   SC 35   2 plays-65 yds-TD
6   SC 25   Missed FG
7   SC 31   8 plays-69 yds-TD

8   SC 38   9 plays-58 yds-FG
9   INT Ret   SC TD
10   Fumb Ret   SC TD
11   SC 40   11 plays-60 yds-TD
12   SC 25   5 plays-16 yds-Punt
13   INT Ret   SC TD
14   SC 16   3 plays-9 yds-EOG

Agreed!  My only knock on the defense, since it's new this year, is the lack of blitzes.  When you are put in the position our D was yesterday it will eventually take it's toll on you.

I did not understand however, the bend but don't break mode at the end of the first quarter that allowed the SC quarterback to get into a rhythm and ultimately get a TD.  There was a terrible call against Curl on that series though, who by the way is a star in the making.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 08, 2017, 11:57:49 am
We have had enough talent in each of the last 3 seasons to have won 2 to 3 more each year than we did. That would have made those 9 to 10 win seasons. But poor coaching decisions or lack of preparation led to the vast majority of those 2-3 losses each year. We have now lost 3 so far that were entirely winnable but again, were lost due to poor execution/decisions by the staff more so than the players themselves. And while they are still learning and not perfect, the problem for once is not the defense.

The problem will be finding someone who is established as a successful HC that wants to come to Arkansas and put it all on the line in the SEC. I'm doubting that the next HC will be a previously successful P-5 HC.

I'm all for hiring the next up-and-comer.  We've tried the successful D1 coach route and failed multiple times.  Whether it's because of incompetence or contentedness from past success, I don't know. 

The NewEra

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 08, 2017, 12:01:32 pm
I'm all for hiring the next up-and-comer.  We've tried the successful D1 coach route and failed multiple times.  Whether it's because of incompetence or contentedness from past success, I don't know.

I'm all for the next up and comer also.  A guy who inspires players, relishes the challenge of competing in the SEC West, is known for an attacking defense and strong offensive line.

My nephew and I were talking yesterday and it's our belief that we can field a very competitive team by simply recruiting Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas.  I would love to see a great talent come in that is an excellent recruiter that could recruit those areas.

I would love to see us put the next coach on a $2 Million contract with significant incentives to earn above $4M annually based on his accomplishments instead of hiring a guy and making them fat, dumb and happy before a down of football was ever played.  Let's start a new trend and embrace the business model for compensation.  It's time to be smarter than the sports agents for a change.

redneckfriend

Quote from: The NewEra on October 08, 2017, 10:11:54 am
Then it's time to ask some serious questions about on the field performance.  Are we a better football team now than we were five years ago?    Are we getting better each year?  Based on the past three years performance is it realistic to believe Bielema can make us competitive in the next two to three years?  Do we see a defense being built and a scheme that will allow us to be competitive in the next few years?  Is our offense more or less competitive as time goes by?  Are Special Teams improving?  Will the current trajectory of this program allow us to attract and sign recruits that will take us to the next level?

When I ask myself all of these questions I get a sick feeling in my stomach.  I just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Bielema said yesterday in his press conference that if it were just one problem it would be easy to fix.  He, like many fans, see that the work ahead, excluding character and academics are multi-faceted and frankly, if he knew the solution to the problems they would have already been addressed. 

I can go through multiple positions of concern along with their schemes, or lack there of.  Shuffling offensive linemen, a defense that's designed to give up yards instead of being ultra aggressive.  So on and so forth.  The point is, we have some good players, but as a team and under this leadership we are a bad SEC football team and they know it.  I don't see it getting any better soon or in the future.  I was going to give it to year end to make a final decision on the state of the football team.  At this point I don't feel I need to.  The losses are bad enough, but what is the most glaring red flag about the direction is the way we are losing these games and being non-competitive in every phase.

I don't know what's going to happen because of the huge buyout, and who would they hire next, but one thing is certain.  You would be hard pressed to find a Razorback Football Fan who goes into a Saturday with a realistic expectation we will win our game, and that should concern the powers that be.  A beautiful newly redesigned stadium opening in 2018 with a fan base with no optimism for the future and negative media attention about the direction of the program throughout the entire off season is not in the best interest of the University or this program.  Not to mention the young men who have committed to play football here.

Lol, the solution to the problem? Schemes? Let me help: recruit better players. There fixed that question now all Bielema has to do is do it.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: The NewEra on October 08, 2017, 12:12:44 pm
I'm all for the next up and comer also.  A guy who inspires players, relishes the challenge of competing in the SEC West, is known for an attacking defense and strong offensive line.

My nephew and I were talking yesterday and it's our belief that we can field a very competitive team by simply recruiting Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas.  I would love to see a great talent come in that is an excellent recruiter that could recruit those areas.

I would love to see us put the next coach on a $2 Million contract with significant incentives to earn above $4M annually based on his accomplishments instead of hiring a guy and making them fat, dumb and happy before a down of football was ever played.  Let's start a new trend and embrace the business model for compensation.  It's time to be smarter than the sports agents for a change.

mike norvell
The rest of the frog.

MuskogeeHogFan

That eliminates a lot of people. I would like to have had Tom Herman, but he landed a pretty significant gig at Texas so he is off the list. I think he will do fine at Texas. Beat K-State yesterday.

We aren't getting Patterson. His ties to the Fort Worth community through his wife are too strong and he plays in an easier conference.

Gundy isn't coming. He has no reason to do so and he has a permanent and pretty good gig in Stillwater until he decides that he doesn't want it any longer and again, an easier conference. Heard from an OSU Booster yesterday that all the Cowboys were at their place yesterday watching the OU game and were ecstatic that Iowa State planted their flag in the middle of Owen Field in Norman yesterday. Gundy is staying put.

If we want to go after a guy who can hire good staff and seems to know how to win more with less, I'd suggest James Franklin, though I am not sure if we could pry him away from Penn State, who is currently at the top of the Big Ten East conference standings, the toughest division of the two in the Big Ten.
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

We are in a Major regression since the Auburn game last year to now!  This Staff, and players lost their Mojo and can't seem to get it back!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ballz2thewall on October 08, 2017, 12:25:15 pm
mike norvell

He might be a good choice. He has roots in Texas, also in Arkansas from his college playing days, has seen how big time programs should be run and prefers an up-tempo style, has a reputation as a great recruiter and even Todd Graham, who isn't known to be the most positive person had this to say about Norvell: "Mike is the best assistant football coach I've ever had," Graham told Sports Illustrated, as quoted Thursday night. "He's the total package when it comes to understanding offense, defense and then recruiting. He's just off the charts."

http://archive.commercialappeal.com/sports/tigers/football/U-of-M-has-a-new-football-coach-pre-360510961.html
Go Hogs Go!

HeathWimp

I've been saying for a while, let's get Bob Stitt from Montana.  He's an outsider, but has won big.  I think he's only paid about 200K right now, so we could offer him substantially more guaranteed money, and also performance-based bonuses as well.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

Razor1997

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 08, 2017, 11:13:52 am

Not to mention the fact that he's 0-3 in the last three games against Power 5 opponents where we had A FREAKING LEAD OF TWO OR MORE TOUCHDOWNS in the first half.

I could accept that we are the kind of team that can't come back, if we were the kind of team that didn't give away leads either.  But we get the worst of both worlds.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HeathWimp on October 08, 2017, 01:07:21 pm
I've been saying for a while, let's get Bob Stitt from Montana.  He's an outsider, but has won big.  I think he's only paid about 200K right now, so we could offer him substantially more guaranteed money, and also performance-based bonuses as well.

I'm not sure I would go quite that far, I mean hiring an FCS Coach to be our HC? Obviously good at his level, but someone who has never even served on a Div I staff in his entire career? That might be a stretch.
Go Hogs Go!

HammusArkansus

I like coach Bielema and hate that he has not been successful at Arkansas.  That said, when and how was he successful in the past?  Yeah, it was in the Big 10 and they're not as competitive as the SEC, but they are still pretty competitive.  Imho, Coach Bielema was successful at Wisky, because he had an Athletic Director in the Frank Broyles style.  That is, a micromanager, that would look at all the detail points the coach might miss.  Jeff Long is not in that micromanager mode and thus not capable of filling a Alvarez/Broyles role.  Can we not reassign J. Long to fundraiser (a position in which he excels) and hire the necessary AD (a football guy, not a numbers guy) to scrutinize every aspect of Coach Bielema's performance.  Wouldn't that be the least expensive way out of this Bielema buyout fiasco.  Coach Bielema may steam at the heavy oversight, as he did at Wisky, and then leave on his own accord.  The new AD, our football not numbers guy, could then hire someone who could bring us back to at least a competitive level.

HogPharmer

Quote from: The NewEra on October 08, 2017, 10:54:33 am
And a crowd of 3,000-5,000

But it would sound like 25,000 people according to Mike Leech
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

HognitiveDissonance

This.

I REALIZE THE HUGE SPIKE IN SEC COACHES' SALARIES IS PRIMARILY DUE TO THE INFLUX OF THE SEC NETWORK MONEY.

But seriously, this is a joke.
We were paying Nutt about $1.4mm his last year and getting much better results than we are now.
We payed Petrino $2.8mm to start out and I was thinking 'what is he supposed to do, double our wins?'
But he was a big success, so his salary was fine by me.

But now you have Bielema making about $4.5mm per year to do...what?

We're getting $800,000 results while paying 4.5mm

PossumFan

Quote from: The NewEra on October 08, 2017, 10:11:54 am

Thanks for putting my thoughts into words. I like Bielema and really wanted him to succeed and finish out his coaching career at Arkansas, but the reality is hard to ignore.

The NewEra

It's about time the entire SEC started looking more closely at what they are paying coaches.

MTBrookHog

Ragnar Hogbrok

TCU was the put up or shut up game.

But once I saw the same old song and dance during the aTm game, I surrendered this football season to the beach, fishing, hunting, and hoping a great coaching hire is made just after our bowl season vacation.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

The NewEra

Quote from: The Chief on October 08, 2017, 06:06:02 pm
TCU was the put up or shut up game.

But once I saw the same old song and dance during the aTm game, I surrendered this football season to the beach, fishing, hunting, and hoping a great coaching hire is made just after our bowl season vacation.

We certainly need some positivity around this program going into the 2018 campaign.  It will be miserable if nothing has been resolved for another year and a half.

MountieDawg

It stinks when they play this bad, the golf courses are much more crowded during the game.
SEC!

Hoggish1

Quote from: HammusArkansus on October 08, 2017, 02:05:55 pm
I like coach Bielema and hate that he has not been successful at Arkansas.  That said, when and how was he successful in the past?  Yeah, it was in the Big 10 and they're not as competitive as the SEC, but they are still pretty competitive.  Imho, Coach Bielema was successful at Wisky, because he had an Athletic Director in the Frank Broyles style.  That is, a micromanager, that would look at all the detail points the coach might miss.  Jeff Long is not in that micromanager mode and thus not capable of filling a Alvarez/Broyles role.  Can we not reassign J. Long to fundraiser (a position in which he excels) and hire the necessary AD (a football guy, not a numbers guy) to scrutinize every aspect of Coach Bielema's performance.  Wouldn't that be the least expensive way out of this Bielema buyout fiasco.  Coach Bielema may steam at the heavy oversight, as he did at Wisky, and then leave on his own accord.  The new AD, our football not numbers guy, could then hire someone who could bring us back to at least a competitive level.

Two ADs sounds great. 

One to keep the books, pay him, say, $95,000, call him Associate Chancellor (Long) and one to run the program (Tupperville pr Alvarez)—pay him the rest of Long's salary and give him incentives for every win his HC gets, like $200K for each victory above five, $500K for a conference championship, $750K for a playoff win and one mil for the NC. 

I like it. Anybody else?

Let's make it happen...

hoglady

PTB need to think long and hard about putting the fan base through this charade for basically 2 years.
Does anyone really think the fans can stomach looking at another year of what were are seeing right now?
It'll be hard enough for the fans to hang long enough to finish out this year.

I realize the buyout is huge - but the damage to the program by keeping Bielema could be even worse.
Recruiting will be dead - he'll for certain be viewed as a lameduck who's only keeping his job for 1 year because of his buyout. The anger from some fans and apathy from others will be probably worse than anything during Nutt's time.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality