Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Byron Nelson/Colonial

Started by userpick, May 18, 2016, 10:05:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

userpick

Any fellow FaG's going to watch the big boys play the next couple of weeks?

HognitiveDissonance

Jackrabbit Hog

I'm gonna try to go to the St. Jude this year over here in Memphis if it doesn't conflict with the Ark Bar annual meeting in Hot Springs (which it usually does).  I volunteered at the St. Jude about 3 years ago and got to run the Shotlink laser on the 13th green.  That was fun.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

onebadrubi

Quote from: userpick on May 18, 2016, 10:05:26 am

I may head over there for colonial, not sure yet though

GolfingAndy

Heading to Colonial on Saturday.

EastexHawg

The Nelson has been hurt by its place on the schedule, right after the Players.  A lot of what would normally be the top attractions are skipping it.  Spieth plays because it's in his home town, and there are a few other guys like Ernie who people might go out to see, but it's lacking a little in star power.

We go to a tournament and follow our favorite player, whoever he is at the time, around the entire course.  A few years ago in Houston we caught the end of Rory's round and then doubled back to walk all 18 with Mickelson.  One year at the Senior Open we walked most of Arnie's round with him, then went back and caught Nicklaus on #1 and went all the way to 18 with his group.

We decide to attend tournaments based on who is playing.  I realize that doesn't matter to everyone. 

userpick

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 19, 2016, 08:44:21 am
The Nelson has been hurt by its place on the schedule, right after the Players.  A lot of what would normally be the top attractions are skipping it.  Spieth plays because it's in his home town, and there are a few other guys like Ernie who people might go out to see, but it's lacking a little in star power.

We go to a tournament and follow our favorite player, whoever he is at the time, around the entire course.  A few years ago in Houston we caught the end of Rory's round and then doubled back to walk all 18 with Mickelson.  One year at the Senior Open we walked most of Arnie's round with him, then went back and caught Nicklaus on #1 and went all the way to 18 with his group.

We decide to attend tournaments based on who is playing.  I realize that doesn't matter to everyone. 

The Byron Nelson field has been weaker ever since Byron Nelson died. Personally I like the fields where the top 5 players in the world aren't at because crowds aren't quite as massive. I remember when Tiger played the Nelson 10 years ago or so, he teed off on number 1 and the crowd was so big and there was so much traffic around that area that we were not allowed to move until he walked off the number 1 green. That's no fun. I usually only follow one player when I'm there.

If anyone decides to go to the Nelson or colonial, let me know!

oldman1015

Quote from: userpick on May 18, 2016, 10:05:26 am
nah i'll just wait and read gohogs next novel about it.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Jackrabbit Hog

Looks like the reports of Jordan Spieth's demise have been greatly exaggerated.  He's leading by a shot about halfway through his second round.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

GolfNut57

Just a general tourney question. Why do they take the roofs off of the carts for the tourneys? You would think that the playing officials would want the roofs to stay for the shade on hot days and in case of rain.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 20, 2016, 09:48:37 pm
Just a general tourney question. Why do they take the roofs off of the carts for the tourneys? You would think that the playing officials would want the roofs to stay for the shade on hot days and in case of rain.

They do.  The tours usually bring their own carts.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Dillar Dog on May 21, 2016, 09:42:48 am
They do.  The tours usually bring their own carts.

That is kind of odd isn't it? It isn't like the course they are playing at doesn't have plenty of carts for use already on hand. Is there something special about the carts the Tour uses?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 21, 2016, 12:29:05 pm
That is kind of odd isn't it? It isn't like the course they are playing at doesn't have plenty of carts for use already on hand. Is there something special about the carts the Tour uses?

Yes, they don't have roofs......

Jackrabbit Hog

Dillar Dog

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 20, 2016, 10:27:08 am
Looks like the reports of Jordan Spieth's demise have been greatly exaggerated.  He's leading by a shot about halfway through his second round.

Nope, it appears they were correct.

majestic

Quote from: ricepig on May 22, 2016, 03:19:18 pm
Nope, it appears they were correct.
Painful to watch. I've had rounds where I absolutely could not hit a certain club. Sometimes all of them.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

ricepig

Quote from: majestic on May 22, 2016, 03:50:05 pm
Painful to watch. I've had rounds where I absolutely could not hit a certain club. Sometimes all of them.

Lol, that's been my game lately, probably the reason I'm watching instead of playing right now. I'm sure I'll get inspired and find the youngest and the cart and play 9 after it's over.

ricepig

Hmm, that was some bad golf by the pros today.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on May 22, 2016, 03:53:58 pm
Lol, that's been my game lately, probably the reason I'm watching instead of playing right now. I'm sure I'll get inspired and find the youngest and the cart and play 9 after it's over.

Does it have a roof on it?

ricepig

EastexHawg

Sergio finally closes the deal.  I couldn't believe he took the line he did on his drive in the playoff.  Until it landed on dry ground I bet he couldn't believe it, either.

CabotHog87

I know it's not either of the tournaments mentioned in the subject, but I was down in Florida visiting my dad for the last two weeks and I took him over to watch all four days of The Players as his 50th birthday present. It was an awesome experience. Neither of us had ever been to a professional event before.

ricepig

Quote from: CabotHog87 on May 23, 2016, 03:33:47 pm
I know it's not either of the tournaments mentioned in the subject, but I was down in Florida visiting my dad for the last two weeks and I took him over to watch all four days of The Players as his 50th birthday present. It was an awesome experience. Neither of us had ever been to a professional event before.

I've been to a few, I'm always amazed at how good and talented they are. I've played Sawgrass a few times, but haven't ever watch the Players there. I know at home on TV I say, I've hit that shot before, problem is, I was always lying one more stroke.

clutch

Quote from: ricepig on May 23, 2016, 03:50:26 pm
I've been to a few, I'm always amazed at how good and talented they are. I've played Sawgrass a few times, but haven't ever watch the Players there. I know at home on TV I say, I've hit that shot before, problem is, I was always lying one more stroke.

Everything is so different when you see it live isn't it? The sound the club makes, the way the ball takes off, everything. The way those guys strike the ball is amazing.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 23, 2016, 12:18:02 pm
Sergio finally closes the deal.  I couldn't believe he took the line he did on his drive in the playoff.  Until it landed on dry ground I bet he couldn't believe it, either.

well said... nicley written... true meaning of puckered a$$...

GoHogs1091

The Perry Maxwell holes at Colonial are Holes 3, 4, and 5.

Jordan Spieth over the 4 Rounds on Maxwell's Hole 3, 4, and 5     -2     

Jordan Spieth over the 4 Rounds on the rest of the Holes at Colonial    -15

clutch

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on May 30, 2016, 05:14:09 pm

What are you trying to prove? That he was pretty much the same on Perry Maxwell's 3 holes as he was the remaining 15?

GoHogs1091

Quote from: clutch on May 30, 2016, 07:07:40 pm
What are you trying to prove? That he was pretty much the same on Perry Maxwell's 3 holes as he was the remaining 15?

He didn't have very many Birdies on those 3 Maxwell Holes over the 4 Rounds (3 Birdies total and 1 Bogey).

He had a lot of Birdies on the other Holes over the 4 Rounds.

GolfNut57

Quote from: clutch on May 30, 2016, 07:07:40 pm

Anyone have any real idea why gohogs1091 is obsessed with Maxwell like a lovesick school girl? Its bordering on the point of mental illness.

majestic

12 holes, 2 under
60 holes, 15 under

Pretty close.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

onebadrubi

Quote from: GolfNut57 on May 30, 2016, 08:08:10 pm
Anyone have any real idea why gohogs1091 is obsessed with Maxwell like a lovesick school girl? Its bordering on the point of mental illness.

K-Mart 400 oak street is my only guess.

Jim Harris

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on May 30, 2016, 05:14:09 pm

I wish they had a better moniker for 3, 4 and 5 than the "Horrible Horseshoe." Not quite the ring of "Amen Corner."
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

HognitiveDissonance

How about Hogan's Armpit?

Nah.

Jackrabbit Hog