Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Players Championship..

Started by Iwastherein1969, May 12, 2016, 11:31:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Iwastherein1969

thread....I haven't seen one started.....anyway, play has begun and Jason Day and Justin (Rosey) Rose are both at (-7)....the golf course is soft and the greens are will accept a good shot...obviously this may change if it doesn't rain the rest of the weekend...obviously, I think the guy below wins....Rory's game is coming around and the most talented player in the world is due to get it going soon...Rory won't lead after today, but if he's fairly close, look for the man from Northern Ireland to win the Players with room to spare.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 12, 2016, 11:31:08 am
thread....I haven't seen one started.....anyway, play has begun and Jason Day and Justin (Rosey) Rose are both at (-7)....the golf course is soft and the greens are will accept a good shot...obviously this may change if it doesn't rain the rest of the weekend...obviously, I think the guy below wins....Rory's game is coming around and the most talented player in the world is due to get it going soon...Rory won't lead after today, but if he's fairly close, look for the man from Northern Ireland to win the Players with room to spare.

He'll have to catch Day.  Starting with a 63 ain't bad.  Spieth, not so much.  Even par today won't cut it. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 12, 2016, 11:31:08 am
no "precise ball striking from tee-to-green" needed?

PP

GolfNut57

Fowler has some FUGLY shoes on.  :)
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Jackrabbit Hog

Day has a chance to put a little distance between himself and Spieth & McIlroy with a win.  If you look at the last 9 months - starting just after last year's Open Championship, no one else is really close. 
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

PonderinHog

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 13, 2016, 11:30:08 am
Who's this Knost dude?

I like his physique, us fat guys need a hero after the Walrus..

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on May 13, 2016, 11:33:53 am
I like his physique, us fat guys need a hero after the Walrus..
Does he like Asians ???

EastexHawg

Rory is doing today what Day did yesterday...maybe even better.

PonderinHog

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 13, 2016, 12:27:05 pm
Rory is doing today what Day did yesterday...maybe even better.

Not so fast, my friend.  He bogeyed the par 5 9th, which was his last hole of the day.  Shot 64, one worse than Day shot yesterday.  It'll be interesting to see too if Day has a "bad" round like Rory had yesterday.  Sometimes that's all it takes, one bad round, to shoot you out of a tournament.

EastexHawg

Six from the fairway for Rory.  Oh, well, 64 ain't too bad.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 13, 2016, 01:04:41 pm
Six from the fairway for Rory.  Oh, well, 64 ain't too bad.
You know at first I was P O'd that Rory blew the last hole. But being a McIlroy fan like I am, the choke on the last hole today may make him even more determined to play well through Sunday. The problem is Jason Day is playing out of his freakn mind and he may have won the tournament with that opening 63. This weekend will be fun because I have a funny feeling (hope its not gas) that Rory is going to tear it up the next two days.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

PonderinHog

Day posts a new 36 hole record at -15.  He is his only opponent this weekend.

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 14, 2016, 09:18:21 am
Day posts a new 36 hole record at -15.  He is his only opponent this weekend.

Or his putter, driver, or any of the other clubs in his bag.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 14, 2016, 01:57:58 am
You know at first I was P O'd that Rory blew the last hole. But being a McIlroy fan like I am, the choke on the last hole today may make him even more determined to play well through Sunday. The problem is Jason Day is playing out of his freakn mind and he may have won the tournament with that opening 63. This weekend will be fun because I have a funny feeling (hope its not gas) that Rory is going to tear it up the next two days.

You can never win the tourney on the opening day. Only lose it.  ;)
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

pignparadise

Shout out to Henderson State's Ken Duke for shooting a 65  when the average score was 76. Johnny Miller called the finest round of the year. Tied for 2nd.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

GoHogs1091

Let's see here.

Quail Hollow had Mini Verde on their greens last week, and the winning score was only -9.  Those greens at Quail Hollow last week were very good in regards to roll, speed, and challenge.

The Humidity (moisture) was finally not present Saturday at the TPC at Sawgress, which Humidity (moisture) is a big aspect in Florida, and the greens dried out.  The average score was 76.  The greens at the TPC at Sawgrass are Mini Verde.

It seems to me from the above if Bent grass is not used on greens, then the best Bermuda to use to challenge the PGA Tour Pros is Mini Verde.

Too bad Quail Hollow as of this week has started replacing their Mini Verde with Champion, and too bad the TPC at Sawgrass will start this Tuesday replacing their Mini Verde with TifEagle.

Because of climate and because of the funds required for maintenance, it is not really feasible for Quail Hollow and the TPC at Sawgrass to use a Bent grass such as A1/A4 Bent, which is what Augusta National and Southern Hills use.  Quail Hollow and The TPC at Sawgrass changed to Bermuda (decided to use Mini Verde), they have had success with Mini Verde, and now they are changing away from what has been successful.

PonderinHog

I wonder what kind of grass Clemson plays on.  Definitely not "championship."  Looks like they got "bent."

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 15, 2016, 08:35:56 am
I wonder what kind of grass Clemson plays on.  Definitely not "championship."  Looks like they got "bent."

Probably need to see what Bama plays on.......

majestic

Rory would be pretty good if he could putt.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on May 15, 2016, 12:47:56 am
Let's see here.

Quail Hollow had Mini Verde on their greens last week, and the winning score was only -9.  Those greens at Quail Hollow last week were very good in regards to roll, speed, and challenge.

The Humidity (moisture) was finally not present Saturday at the TPC at Sawgress, which Humidity (moisture) is a big aspect in Florida, and the greens dried out.  The average score was 76.  The greens at the TPC at Sawgrass are Mini Verde.

It seems to me from the above if Bent grass is not used on greens, then the best Bermuda to use to challenge the PGA Tour Pros is Mini Verde.

Too bad Quail Hollow as of this week has started replacing their Mini Verde with Champion, and too bad the TPC at Sawgrass will start this Tuesday replacing their Mini Verde with TifEagle.

Because of climate and because of the funds required for maintenance, it is not really feasible for Quail Hollow and the TPC at Sawgrass to use a Bent grass such as A1/A4 Bent, which is what Augusta National and Southern Hills use.  Quail Hollow and The TPC at Sawgrass changed to Bermuda (decided to use Mini Verde), they have had success with Mini Verde, and now they are changing away from what has been successful.
you give me a headache

PP

ricepig

Quote from: majestic on May 15, 2016, 11:30:07 am
Rory would be pretty good if he could putt.

It's the quality of the greens......

majestic

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on May 15, 2016, 11:51:03 am
you give me a headache

PP

Who knew that Charlie Babbit liked golf courses?
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: majestic on May 15, 2016, 12:04:26 pm
Who knew that Charlie Babbit liked golf courses?
well, it is a numbers game

PP

GoHogs1091

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 13, 2016, 11:30:08 am
Who's this Knost dude?

He won at Hardscrabble in 2008.

Doesn't look like he will win The Players, but if he did he would be the 2nd to win at Hardscrabble and also win The Players (Tim Clark won at Hardscrabble in 2000 and Clark won The Players in 2010).

PonderinHog

Keep your ball dry and it's yours, Jason.

hoglady

Once Day got the tournament win monkey off his back last year he's been on another level.
Love the top guys in golf right now.
But I was rooting for Ken Duke today - proud for Duke,  he had a fantastic overall tournament and just a heck of a round yesterday.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

GoHogs1091

The following is interesting from a posting over on Geoff Shackelford's Web site.  There is several Reader Comments immediately following the text in the linked posting.

"The TPC Sawgrass, once a beast, is often overmatched in today's game. It's final defense, short of 5 inch rough and and adding new tees: extreme green speeds that are manageable until they're not."

"Unlike every other professional sports league, the PGA Tour will never get in the business of regulating the equipment played at its events to keep courses relevant and green speeds at a sane level. So there is sweet irony in watching yet another position taken with profit margins in mind bubble to the surface at the Tour's marquee event."

"It's funny that a sport which self congratulates itself repeatedly for having more integrity than any other looks the other way when it comes to protecting the integrity of its playing fields, solely in fear of (potentially) costly regulatory fights that also might call into question golf's devotion to the gospel of unfettered capitalism. How is this sad state of affairs any less ridiculous than looking the other way on a doping scandal?"

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2016/5/14/elephant-in-the-room-files-green-speed-push-blows-up-again.html

MS_HogFan

Did anyone here the announcer talking about Ken Duke's visor. He said it had the Houston Astros logo on it but it looked like the Hope CC logo. Does anyone know what it says?
SOOIE

GoHogs1091

I saw this video over on Golfwrx.  Is there something amiss in this video (i.e., a double hit)?  Make sure to have your volume on when you play this video (apologies to Pulled Pork, but just the video itself doesn't explain everything).

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on May 16, 2016, 11:37:22 am
I saw this video over on Golfwrx.  Is there something amiss in this video (i.e., a double hit)?  Make sure to have your volume on when you play this video (apologies to Pulled Pork, but just the video itself doesn't explain everything).

Nah, that's the original contact with the golf ball, just delayed.

userpick

Quote from: MS_HogFan on May 16, 2016, 10:42:05 am
Did anyone here the announcer talking about Ken Duke's visor. He said it had the Houston Astros logo on it but it looked like the Hope CC logo. Does anyone know what it says?

Ken plays golf with the GM of the Astros a lot and are good friends. He started wearing the hat and even has it on his bag I believe. As a huge Rangers fan, not sure how I feel about this.

Dr. Starcs

Not to derail, userpick, but how bout that punch yesterday?!

Holy smokes!!

userpick

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 16, 2016, 03:42:55 pm
Not to derail, userpick, but how bout that punch yesterday?!

Holy smokes!!

I actually watched it live and everyone knew it was coming. I've never been happier in my life. Bautista is a jackass and had that coming. But you're right...what a punch!

Dr. Starcs

We need your views in the mlb forum. Some are with us, but others are saying it was uncalled for.

Lol

Dillar Dog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on May 15, 2016, 12:47:56 am
Let's see here.

When you have the budget to take care of tifeagle it will always be better than mini verde.  It's a better putting surface with the right knowledge and budget, which, I'm sure they have.

I expect a long drawn out rambling response that I won't read.  I'll tell you now, you're wrong.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Dillar Dog on May 17, 2016, 02:30:33 pm
When you have the budget to take care of tifeagle it will always be better than mini verde.  It's a better putting surface with the right knowledge and budget, which, I'm sure they have.

I expect a long drawn out rambling response that I won't read.  I'll tell you now, you're wrong.

I have nothing to add, but damn this was awesome.

Jackrabbit Hog

Been thinking it's about time to change my sig line.  This one may just do the trick.

GoHogs1091

Time will tell whether I am right or wrong.

You will be hard pressed to find better Bermuda grass greens than those Mini Verde greens at Quail Hollow week-before-last.

Also, don't be surprised if the out-of-control low scoring becomes more of an issue at the TPC at Sawgrass with TifEagle as their grass on the greens.

After a high quality Bent grass such as A1/A4 Bent or T1 Bent, the Mini Verde Bermuda has shown to be the next best at challenging the PGA Tour Pros. 

zane

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 18, 2016, 10:10:03 am
Been thinking it's about time to change my sig line.  This one may just do the trick.

def sig worthy
RIP LSUfan